Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Something unique about the word "God" in Genesis 1:1?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think I stumbled upon something very unique about the word "God" in Genesis 1:1.

I just posted what I found in my blog.
Have you noticed this?
edited reba per 2.1: This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity (or declare that it is false) and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Please read: Statement of Faith

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I stumbled upon something very unique about the word "God" in Genesis 1:1.

Who created this current world?

Have you noticed this?

Very interesting thread Mr. Kicked. For many years now I have been a fan of the definite article "the". I think it was back around 1978 that a Bible Teacher, Dr. Delma Lowery, came to the church I was the pastor. He was the first one to introduce me to the word "the" that has been missing in many or even most modern translations. He also introduced me to a wonderful KJV of the Bible which included "the" where it had been taken out or just missing.

As you say, this word is so vital to proper understanding of Scripture. The KJV Bible is the, "Newberry Reference Edition" by "Kregel Publication" researched and presented by Thomas Newberry 1973. This Bible is out of print. I purchased my copy in 1978 and I think that they had only one left. Perhaps they have made more, I don't know for sure.

One of the verses that I especially like as an example is: Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." This is how it should read. "I live in the faith of the Son of God" The word "by" is better translated "in" Gk ἐν. And with the addition of the definite article the added. It now is translated "I live in the faith of the Son of God."

Why do I present this? Because so many Christians have a big problem with faith! They say, "If I only had enough faith." Wait a minute, you don't have faith! Jesus has faith! You and I have to claim the faith of Jesus for every circumstance. Some people that know me very well say, "Boy, (my name) his faith is so strong, I wish I had his faith." I exercise Jesus' faith because I don't have any. I had to use Jesus' faith in order to be saved, and I have to use His faith for everything I pray for. Do you grasp that? "I live in the faith of Jesus"

Other wise the Scripture reads "I live by faith" NO, NO! "I live IN THE faith of Jesus." O my friends, your prayers will have so much more power if you realize that faith comes from God, it's not my work of faith, it is Jesus' work of faith....I hope this helps people.

Very interesting thread Mr. Kicked. For many years now I have been a fan of the definite article "the". I think it was back around 1978 that a Bible Teacher, Dr. Delma Lowery, came to the church I was the pastor. He was the first one to introduce me to the word "the" that has been missing in many or even most modern translations. He also introduced me to a wonderful KJV of the Bible which included "the" where it had been taken out or just missing.

As you say, this word is so vital to proper understanding of Scripture. The KJV Bible is the, "Newberry Reference Edition" by "Kregel Publication" researched and presented by Thomas Newberry 1973. This Bible is out of print. I purchased my copy in 1978 and I think that they had only one left. Perhaps they have made more, I don't know for sure.

One of the verses that I especially like as an example is: Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." This is how it should read. "I live in the faith of the Son of God" The word "by" is better translated "in" Gk ἐν. And with the addition of the definite article the added. It now is translated "I live in the faith of the Son of God."

Why do I present this? Because so many Christians have a big problem with faith! They say, "If I only had enough faith." Wait a minute, you don't have faith! Jesus has faith! You and I have to claim the faith of Jesus for every circumstance. Some people that know me very well say, "Boy, (my name) his faith is so strong, I wish I had his faith." I exercise Jesus' faith because I don't have any. I had to use Jesus' faith in order to be saved, and I have to use His faith for everything I pray for. Do you grasp that? "I live in the faith of Jesus"

Other wise the Scripture reads "I live by faith" NO, NO! "I live IN THE faith of Jesus." O my friends, your prayers will have so much more power if you realize that faith comes from God, it's not my work of faith, it is Jesus' work of faith....I hope this helps people.

Chopper. That is one amazing post. Thank you for sharing that. My heart says "Yes! and Amen".

I have stumbled upon that little nuance myself regarding Gal 2:20. It is faith "IN" Christ. It is the faith that we have from him because our being is actually inside of him. See Romans 8:1. There is also no condemnation for those that are "IN" Christ. Same thing. How did we get "in" him? John 12:32 tells us. When the son of man was lifted up, he drew (actually dragged) ALL (things) into himself. See the original Greek words. What a powerful scripture.

I also see it another way in that because we are "in" him, that also reveals that any faith we have is actually his very faith that is given to us as an ongoing gift. So, one could also say it is the faith "of" Christ because it is his faith and not ours. Ours will not save us, but his will and does.

This is also revealed in Hebrews 12:2 as he both the "author" (one who originates) our faith and the "finisher" (the one who perfects it). Again, how can this be (I ask myself)?

Because it is not our faith. It is HIS given to us ongoing as a total gift. Ephesians 2:8-9.

Our most gracious loving father is now fulfilling these most powerful verses and the covenant he made with us.

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief corner stone.
23 This is the Lord’s doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes
Psalm 118:22-23

The cornerstone of what?

The Lord's spiritual "house" or his body or dwelling place where he will live... the "new Jerusalem" who is "above". Rev 21 This is all part of his covenant he made at Horeb.

Horeb???

Then God said, "Behold, I am going to make a covenant. Before all your people I will perform miracles which have not been produced in all the earth nor among any of the nations; and all the people among whom you live will see the working of the LORD, for it is a fearful thing that I am going to perform with you Exodus 34:10

Look at what is revealed in Deut 5:2. Moses says that God actually made a covenant at Horeb as well as Sinai.

Then Moses summoned all Israel and said to them:
“Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I am speaking today in your hearing, that you may learn them and observe them carefully. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb.
Deut 5:2

This surprised me when I first stumbled upon it. Could this be the "new" covenant in disguise?

Compare the words of Exodus 34:10-28 (possible "new") with the words of Exodus 20:1 to 23:33 (old). Do you notice some similarities but many differences? Look at the exact words of Exodus 34:28. What does it reveal?

I have concluded personally that this covenant made by The Lord on Horeb is the covenant GOD HIMSELF made with us where HE himself does all the "heavy lifting". We just "believe" it and simply "walk" in it. He even provides the "believe it" part (faith) and does the work. We are merely a "vessel" or container of him.

Here is how he gave us faith. Here is the source of all faith that exists.

"I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I will also hold you by the hand and watch over you, And I will appoint you as a covenant to the people, As a light to the nations Is 42:6

The word "nations" is often translated as "gentiles".

Once we see the true "light" in our hearts, we have enough "faith" to move mountains. Of course, we know who this "light" is. He is the light of every man that comes into the world.

In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men John 1:4
There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man John 1:9

Awesome conversation. God bless,

Thank you my friend for confirming where our faith comes from. You have revealed still more evidence and biblical thought that reenforces our thought....Be blessed my Brother.

Our most gracious loving father is now fulfilling these most powerful verses and the covenant he made with us.

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief corner stone.
23 This is the Lord’s doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes
Psalm 118:22-23

The cornerstone of what?

The Lord's spiritual "house" or his body or dwelling place where he will live... the "new Jerusalem" who is "above". Rev 21 This is all part of his covenant he made at Horeb.

Horeb???

Then God said, "Behold, I am going to make a covenant. Before all your people I will perform miracles which have not been produced in all the earth nor among any of the nations; and all the people among whom you live will see the working of the LORD, for it is a fearful thing that I am going to perform with you Exodus 34:10

Look at what is revealed in Deut 5:2. Moses says that God actually made a covenant at Horeb as well as Sinai.

Then Moses summoned all Israel and said to them:
“Hear, O Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I am speaking today in your hearing, that you may learn them and observe them carefully. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb.
Deut 5:2

This surprised me when I first stumbled upon it. Could this be the "new" covenant in disguise?

Compare the words of Exodus 34:10-28 (possible "new") with the words of Exodus 20:1 to 23:33 (old). Do you notice some similarities but many differences? Look at the exact words of Exodus 34:28. What does it reveal?

I have concluded personally that this covenant made by The Lord on Horeb is the covenant GOD HIMSELF made with us where HE himself does all the "heavy lifting". We just "believe" it and simply "walk" in it. He even provides the "believe it" part (faith) and does the work. We are merely a "vessel" or container of him.

I agree that our faith comes from Yeshua, but I disagree with your suggestion that the New Covenant was made at Horeb.
You state that Exodus 20:1-23:33 are the words of the old, and suggest Exodus 34:10-28 are possibly the words of the new. The New Covenant was NOT made on Horeb. Horeb and Sinai are the same mountain. This can be seen in Ex 34:28-29:

And he was there with YHWH forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments. (Which you suggest are part of the new).
And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.​

Also, Exodus 34:10 does not say, "Behold, I am going to make a covenant ..." It simply says in Hebrew, "I cut a covenant ..." or "I am cutting a covenant ..." Yahweh was still in the process of making the Sinai Covenant because the second set of the Ten Commandments were not yet written. They were completed in verse 28.

Jeremiah 31:31-32 reads:

Behold, the days come, saith YHWH, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith YHWH:
The New Covenant was not yet made even in Jeremiah's day. It was yet to come.

I agree that our faith comes from Yeshua, but I disagree with your suggestion that the New Covenant was made at Horeb.
You state that Exodus 20:1-23:33 are the words of the old, and suggest Exodus 34:10-28 are possibly the words of the new. The New Covenant was NOT made on Horeb. Horeb and Sinai are the same mountain. This can be seen in Ex 34:28-29:

And he was there with YHWH forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments. (Which you suggest are part of the new).
And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.​

Also, Exodus 34:10 does not say, "Behold, I am going to make a covenant ..." It simply says in Hebrew, "I cut a covenant ..." or "I am cutting a covenant ..." Yahweh was still in the process of making the Sinai Covenant because the second set of the Ten Commandments were not yet written. They were completed in verse 28.

Jeremiah 31:31-32 reads:

Behold, the days come, saith YHWH, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith YHWH:
The New Covenant was not yet made even in Jeremiah's day. It was yet to come.

Thank you Jocor for sharing this. I will look into it and see what I hear.

May I share something I believe he has shown me about putting the "order" of things together with God?

One of the most powerful things I am beginning to see is how God works outside of all (separation of) space and time. Thus, for him (and the highest "truth") things are not linear or "separated" by time or space like we experience and "know" them. They are one, single whole and this is very difficult to represent in written, divided, linear words on a page or understand from a human mind under law (separation of space and time).

I suspect only the true, Living Word can truly be "true" (one, single whole) as he has no division or separation in him at all. Often, I am tripped up when I forget this and think that just become something appeared in a prior chapter, book or verse, doesn't necessarily mean it occurs before the current verse in our time-based reality. I have personally concluded that "Only the Lord decides the exact 'order' of things" in space and time." He could even make all or parts of Genesis occur after Revelation if he wanted to, couldn't he?

This doesn't mean we disregard the order he says. Just something I have learned I need to keep in mind.

Sorry if I am rambling.

Will keep digging, looking and listening for him.

God bless in your search for the truth.

Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Does Jesus hope?

Elements of the New Covenant were hidden in the Old Covenant. When Jesus sought first fruit on the fig tree (a pre-seasonal fig that is very sweet) and found none, he was looking for anyone who found in the Old Covenant the elements of the New Covenant and found none.

Proverbs 25:2 (KJV)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (KJV)
29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Bearing in mind there are two laws (Law of Moses and Laws of Christ see Galatians 6:2).

Have you noticed this?
The difference between הָאֱלֹהִים and אֱלֹהִים is that the first word has the article and the second work does not. The noun "God" with the article occurs 374 times in the Hebrew O.T. The reason it has the article has to do with the grammatical construction of the sentence.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back