Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Sound of a whip....John 2 "Passover Cleansing of Temple"...and Rev 18:8

This thread will be on this NT event and I will try to give some relevant OT and Revelation verses.

All 4 Gospel record this event, tho John appears to give a longer and more descripted version of it.

Matthew 21:12 Then Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those selling doves.
Mark 11:15 When they arrived in Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began to drive out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those selling doves.
Luke 19:45 Then Jesus entered the temple courts and began to drive out those who were selling there.

John 2:13 The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. [Revelation 18:8?]
14 And He found in the temple those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables. 15 And He made a scourge/whip<5416> of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables; 16 and to those who were selling the doves He said, “Take these things away; stop making My Father’s house a place of business.” 17 His disciples remembered that it was written, “ZEAL FOR YOUR HOUSE WILL CONSUME ME.” 18 The Jews then said to Him, “What sign do You show us as your authority for doing these things?”

5416. phragellion neuter of a derivative from the base of 5417; a whip, i.e. Roman lash as a public punishment:--scourge. ..........occurs 1 times in 1 verse
======================================
A few OT verses that mention a whip/scourge...
Jos 23:13 know with certainty that the LORD your God will not continue to [fn]drive these nations out from before you; but they will be a snare and a trap to you, and a whip on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from off this good land which the LORD your God has given you.
Pro 26:3 A whip for the horse, A bridle for the donkey, And a rod for the fool's back.
Isa 10:26 The LORD Almighty will lash them with a whip, as when he struck down Midian at the rock of Oreb; and he will raise his staff over the waters, as he did in Egypt.
Nah 3:2 A sound of a whip, and sound of a quaking wheel, and horse galloping, and chariot leaping. A horseman mounting. And blazing sword, and flashing spear, and many wounded and mass of corpses and there is no end to bodies. [Isaiah 28 "scourge"]
========================================
1601497583808.png 1601497649553.png
===================================
Most Bible translations use "plagues" for g2147 in Revelation.
But if one looks at the Gk NT lexicon meaning, it means "stripes/blows/scourging".

It is interesting to note that g2147 is used in only 2 verses of the Gospels, both in Luke and 14 times in Revelation. [will look more into that in my next posts]

1. a blow, stripe: plural, Luke 10:30; Luke 10:43; Acts 16:23, 33; 2 Corinthians 6:5; 2 Corinthians 11:23; a wound: ἡ πληγή τοῦ θανάτου, deadly wound (R. V. death-stroke),......... occurs 21 times in 20 verses
John 2:15 And He made a scourge/whip<5416> of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables;
Rev 18:8 “Therefore her stripes/blows<4127> will come in one day—death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
=========================================
My next posts will focus mainly on John 2: 13-17 in relation to the OT and Revelation.....
Blessings, Steve

Last edited:
To those who make their bed with the whore of Babylon who used a cat of nine tails on Christ will know in the end of days about the scourge of God brought upon them if they do not heed His warning to come out from her as she for the last time will desecrate the Temple of God (Those who are Christ own). Rev 17, 18, 19

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Rev 18:1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.
Rev 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Back