Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Specific Bible Studies on OCD

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There are many issues that the Bible does not address specifically, and OCD is among them, but Jesus clearly was able to help those who had disorders and heal them in the Gospels. But I would say that when it comes to reaching out to God for answers with specific problems like OCD, that ascertaining the principles of God's Word is very important, so that we can understand God's will in each circumstance and apply those principles practically - often put in to practice by faith.

#1 If someone has OCD, God allowed that to happen for a reason, and the person should pray about it, and also walk in faith toward God knowing that He is the one who made them and that He has a plan for their life.
#2 With God nothing shall be impossible. Healing a person of such a disorder is not impossible for God, and if it is in His will to do so he certainly will act to do so if we connect in faith.
#3 God will never place us in a situation where he commands us to do something but we are unable to carry it out. This is something that had plagued me and others before who have wondered how the mentally disabled (more extreme than OCD) could serve God with their disability. Well in such circumstances we must believe that they can serve him in spirit even if they may lack the ability to read or understand complex ideas. OCD though is far from that disabling, and though it is a biological issue which has to be dealt with it is also an issue of self-control (which OCD inhibits) which we should take issue with God about if we need help or want to improve in ways otherwise not possible by human solutions. If you think it inhibits you serving God then I'm sure God will help those who come to Him sincerely in prayer.

I'm not sure if anything I have said here hit home at the root of your reason for asking that question, but it is about understanding God's character and applying the principles (by walking in faith) that we can learn from reading His Word, meditating, and praying and also from His past & present work in our life. You won't find anything specifically on OCD in the Bible, but you will find a loving God who cares and will not test us beyond what we are able (1 Corinthians 10:13), and a God who is very able to help us.

God Bless,

~Josh

Cybershark.....you obviously do not know the first thing about OCD. It is NOT simply a matter of self-control. They believe that awful things, such as death to themselves or others, WILL happen if they do not complete whatever compulsion they feel they need to complete. There thoughts are not based in logic or reason, many will even admit this, but nonetheless they feel as if their life is in endanger. I guarantee that you would do crazy things if you felt the alternative was death to yourself or to your family. You wouldn't care that everyone was telling you it would be ok, all you know is that you will die if you do or dont do something. Learn to know what you are talking about before you speak. Also, either god is very cruel or there is no god and everything is determined by chance.

AnonymousNT said:
Cybershark.....you obviously do not know the first thing about OCD. It is NOT simply a matter of self-control. They believe that awful things, such as death to themselves or others, WILL happen if they do not complete whatever compulsion they feel they need to complete. There thoughts are not based in logic or reason, many will even admit this, but nonetheless they feel as if their life is in endanger. I guarantee that you would do crazy things if you felt the alternative was death to yourself or to your family. You wouldn't care that everyone was telling you it would be ok, all you know is that you will die if you do or dont do something. Learn to know what you are talking about before you speak. Also, either god is very cruel or there is no god and everything is determined by chance.

#1 I'm almost sure you've picked an extreme case of OCD, there are varying degrees of it - and some are mild. #2 I parodied myself to stay balanced and said "I say "merely", but we're human...". I know OCD is not 'simply' about a matter of self-control because it is a biological issue. That notwithstanding, God is bigger than any disorder, and praying or looking for guidance or help (such as looking in the Bible for a solution to OCD - the stated purpose of this thread) can certainly help a person if they have faith. With God nothing shall be impossible. I'm being as optimistic as possible, knowing that all things are possible with God, but I am not belittling the serious effects of OCD. With that said and clarified, I don't think there should be any objections to what I said.

P.S. Perhaps though I will reword my original post to make it less ambiguous on this point.

God Bless,

~Josh

General comment Christian spiritual verses Pschology and Psychiatry

During that last few years I have heard about a number of 'disorders' and listened closely to how they are described as mental illness. The cases of demon possession that we have in the scriptures could be cast into terms of mental illness - but there is a grave mistake in thinking that what is described can be explained 'apart from the demonic realm and their affect upon man.' Such an approach is a fundamental denial of reality.

There is no sicker being in the created universe than something that is 100% evil. How this plays, preys upon, manipulates and even imitates the fallen human nature - whether the victim is willing or not exhibits a remarkable diversity of expression. It is sufficent that the demonic spirit has a temple to occupy - it need not manifest itself at all for long periods of time. Conversley it is capable of such extraordinary and extreme expression. In between these limits lies endless variations upon a theme.

The Spirit of God causes the Spirits of darkness to be made manifest.

Inositol (of which the most prominent naturally occurring form is myo-inositol, cis-1,2,3,5-trans-4,6-cyclohexanehexol) is a carbocyclic polyol that plays an important role as the structural basis for a number of secondary messengers in eukaryotic cells, including inositol phosphates, phosphatidylinositol (PI) and phosphatidylinositol phosphate (PIP) lipids. It is found in many foods, in particular, in cereals with high bran content, nuts, beans, and fruit, especially cantaloupe melons and oranges. Inositol is not considered a vitamin itself because it can be synthesised by the body.

Myo-Inositol was classified as a member of the vitamin B complex (often referred to as vitamin B8), but was found to be synthesized by the human body (thus, declassifying it as a vitamin).

You can research on the Internet and find some of the research done with this compound. It seems to have almost as much effectiveness as SRIs but without the side effects.

It may be that OCD is more related to diet or physiological condition and thus more treatable with medication or diet.

I would suggest first taking a look at the medical / chemical side of things. If everything seems unresponsive, a look into the spiritual side of things might be recommended. A writer named Kurt Koch wrote about the effects of occult involvement which could manifest as forms of mental illness. He wrote at a time when these practices were diminishing and the effects were becoming less common. Now that more and more people are dabbling with the occult, these effects are going to be more common again.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back