Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Sports: Why God is Against It

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

Jay T

The basic principles of Christianity is putting others, before ones self.

Sports, is the object of putting oneself, before others.

Every talent of influence is to be sacredly cherished and used for the purpose of gathering souls to Christ. Young men and young women should not think that their sports, their evening parties and musical entertainments, as usually conducted, are acceptable to Christ.

I could refer to chapter after chapter of the Old Testament Scriptures that contain great encouragement.
These Scriptures are a treasure house of precious pearls, and all need them.

How much time is spent by intelligent human beings in horse racing, Video games, and ball playing!
But will indulgence in these sports give men a desire to know truth and righteousness?

Will it keep God in their thoughts?

Will it lead them to inquire, How is it with my soul?

All the powers of Satan are set in operation to hold the attention to frivolous amusements, and he is gaining his object.

He is interposing his devisings between God and the soul.

He will manufacture diversions to keep men from thinking about God.

The world, filled with sport and pleasure loving, is always thirsting for some new interest; but how little time and thought are given to the Creator of the heavens and the earth!

The once earnest Christian who enters into these sports is on the downgrade.

He has left the region pervaded by the vital atmosphere of heaven, and has plunged into an atmosphere of mist and fog of earthly desires..

It may be some humble believer is induced to join in these sports.
But if he maintains his connection with Christ, he cannot in heart participate in the exciting scene.

The speakers of others persons sports abilities do not give evidence that they are making melody in their hearts to God.....when they lift up a persons greatness.

But there is unmistakable evidence that God is forgotten.

He is not in all their thoughts.
These parties of pleasure and gatherings for exciting sports, made up of those who profess to be Christians, are a profanation of religion and the name of God.

Deceptive Working of Satan

The topic of the conversation reveals the treasure of the heart. The cheap, common talk, the words of flattery, the foolish witticism, spoken to create a laugh, are the merchandise of Satan, and all who indulge in this talk are trading in his goods.

Impressions are made upon those who hear these things similar to that made upon Herod when the daughter of Herodias danced before him.
All these transactions are recorded in the books of heaven; and at the last great day they will appear in their true light before the guilty ones.

Then all will discern in them the alluring, deceptive workings of the devil, to lead them into the broad road and the wide gate that opens to their ruin.

Professed Christians as Decoys of Satan

Satan has been multiplying his snares in Battle Creek; and professed Christians who are superficial in character and religious experience are used by the tempter as his decoys.

This class are always ready for the gatherings for pleasure or sport, and their influence attracts others.
Young men and young women who have tried to be Bible Christians are persuaded to join the party, and they are drawn into the ring.

They did not prayerfully consult the divine standard, to learn what Christ had said in regard to the fruit to be borne on the Christian tree.

You have no time to lose.

Make mighty efforts to rescue yourself from Satan's snare.

You need to learn of Jesus, who is meek and lowly of heart, and then you will obtain rest.

Oh, what a work you have to do to perfect holiness in the fear of God, and be prepared for the society of the pure and holy angels.

You need to humble your heart before God, and seek meekness and righteousness, that you may be hid in the day of the Lord's fierce anger.

Whatever way is chosen, the path of life is beset with perils.
If the workers in any branch of the cause become careless and inattentive to their eternal interests, they are meeting with great loss.

The tempter will find access to them. He will spread nets for their feet, and will lead them in uncertain paths.

Those only are safe whose hearts are garrisoned with pure principles.

Like David they will pray: "Hold up my goings in Thy paths, that my footsteps slip not."

A constant battle must be kept up with the selfishness and corruption of the human heart.

Often the wicked seem to be prospered in their way; but those who forget God, even for an hour or a moment, are in a dangerous path.

They may not realize its perils; but ere they are aware, habit, like an iron band, holds them in subjection to the evil with which they have tampered.

God despises their course, and His blessing will not attend them.

Sports, is the object of putting oneself, before others.

Guess you haven't heard of team sports then huh!?

Every talent of influence is to be sacredly cherished and used for the purpose of gathering souls to Christ.

How much time is spent by intelligent human beings in horse racing, Video games, and ball playing!

You can waste time doing anything not just the things you mentioned. Those aren't a problem unless they monopolize all our time. Nobody spends 24/7 reading their Bible.. if they did there would be no time to live life.

The once earnest Christian who enters into these sports is on the downgrade.

:lol:

But if he maintains his connection with Christ, he cannot in heart participate in the exciting scene.

Eh? :-?

Maybe, just maybe sports could be a connection to reach the lost who one may not have otherwise had an opportunity to communicate with. Be careful what you judge God can and cannot use.

Scott said:
[Maybe, just maybe sports could be a connection to reach the lost who one may not have otherwise had an opportunity to communicate with. Be careful what you judge God can and cannot use.
I look at it this way.
If Jesus Christ had use sports to reach the lost in His day, then that would have been the method Christ would have advocated for His followers to use, down to our time.
But, He used the method ofcaring for the poor, and sick to reach lost souls. I believ that that is the work of a Christian today.
Does that make sense ?

But, He used the method of caring for the poor, and sick to reach lost souls. I believ that that is the work of a Christian today.
Does that make sense ?

Yes that makes sense, however couldn't all those things be done if you were to meet some in such a situation through playing sports... its hard to deny that sports do create a perfect atmoshpere to interact with others and definitely gives one an opportunity to warm up to others around them. Not everyone is a public speaker.

Scott said:
But, He used the method of caring for the poor, and sick to reach lost souls. I believ that that is the work of a Christian today.
Does that make sense ?

Yes that makes sense, however couldn't all those things be done if you were to meet some in such a situation through playing sports... its hard to deny that sports do create a perfect atmoshpere to interact with others and definitely gives one an opportunity to warm up to others around them. Not everyone is a public speaker.

When was the last time you ever heard someone talking about salvation, during a sports event ?

How many sports events occur on the Lord's Day....saturday ?
The one Christ said to keep Holy ?

How may of the people actually playing the sport, to have their minds on Jesus Christ, instead of the game ?

These are just a few of the questions I could have asked.

When was the last time you ever heard someone talking about salvation, during a sports event ?

Why does that need to take place during... sports in a sense serve as an icebreaker. Sports establish a sense of comradery and trust. What's wrong with talking with someone after playing, after beginning that relationship connection. Unless of course you don't care about them on a personal level and are only interested in a soul quest.

Jesus is the Sabbath... Hebrews 4:7 tells us today is the day for salvation.

How may of the people actually playing the sport, to have their minds on Jesus Christ, instead of the game ?

You make it sound like a Christian stops being a Christian when they play sports. :-? Sportsmanship shows many of the ways we as Christians out to be... I also believe that taking pride in what you do is honorable because you do it unto the Lord. Whether it be work, sports or whatever... you should do whatever that is to the best of your ability. We live our lives putting into practice the things we know from God's Word to be true... this should be consistent no matter what we are doing.

Also check out Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 as it applies well to your last question.

There are certainly Christians who compromise their beliefs when they play sports. And it can be very hard to maintain patience, etc. while playing. However, sports are also a great avenue to practice manifesting Christ, and to learn to manifest Him better, despite the circumstances (much like life). I don't doubt that the way a player conducts himself can have a huge impact on those around him. Sports are a great avenue for growing and glorifying God.

David Robinson is the perfect example of a Christian player who was able to exist and still keep his faith in the world of professional sports. I like this quote from him because it puts the emphasis on glorifying God and having a winning attitude/respected character first and foremost.

His focus, he says, is not his success, but that God is behind his accomplishments. "I can run. I can jump. I can block shots. I can dunk. But I can't take pride in that," he says. "I'm successful because God gave me the ability.

"What I need to do is have a great positive attitude and a great work ethic. Those two things validate me. Yes, it's important that I have good numbers, and I'm well-respected as a player. But I think it's more important that I'm respected as a man."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/8r2/8r2020.html

McQuacks said:
Sports are a great avenue for growing and glorifying God.
Had you known what the Glory of God is....you'd know that statement to be UNscriptuiral.
David Robinson is the perfect example of a Christian player who was able to exist and still keep his faith in the world of professional sports.

You mean this person ...NEVER....played his sport on God's Holy Sabbath day ?

I respect your opinion. But there's no use dicussing this if you're going to allege that I have no understanding about the glory of God. You feel convicted one way; I the other. And neither of us see that changing anytime soon. :)
-McQ 8-)

I've never heard anyone teach that playing sports is sin before. The wrath of God, according to scripture, is against sin. I don't see them saying anywhere in scripture that playing a sport or a game is evil.

How many sports events occur on the Lord's Day....saturday ?
The one Christ said to keep Holy ?

That's interesting that you should say that! Here you go preaching that sport is sin and yet you yourself are teaching us Judaism and not Christianity. Am I the only one who sees something of a contradiction in this? Are you a Jewish Rabbi by any chance? I don't see anything in the New Testament to substantiate your claim that Christ said "keep the sabbath Holy". You have got the cart totally before the horse.

The Jewish rabbi's taught, "Keep the sabbath holy" to the degree that you were just about allowed to get out of bed on that day. Jesus then angered them by healing on the sabbath amongst other things and actually just going about doing what He did every other day. They only got wound up about him because he treated the sabbath day as the same as any other day. In other words, they were OK with Jesus until saturday. Then they decided, well this guy, he's breaking the law. Let's kill him.

Jesus then responded by saying, more or less "keep yourself holy" .

English said:
I've never heard anyone teach that playing sports is sin before. The wrath of God, according to scripture, is against sin. I don't see them saying anywhere in scripture that playing a sport or a game is evil.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Hey Jay T, if thats the case you probably shouldn't be sitting in front of that monitor typing that message... cuz if sports are evil then computers and the internet would have to be the elevator directly to Hell, don't you think?!

By your reasoning. If sports are evil, then having a job is evil as well. We don't constantly evangelize and talk about God during work. I am a nurse, Doctors and nurses have to work on saturday otherwise people would suffer and die. I wouldn't be able to study my work and become the best nurse I could be to help others because it wouldn't be an immediate avenue of evangelism during my studies at every moment.

I also play sports in my free time. I enjoy it. I thank God that He used it as one of the avenues to channel my energy rather than drugs and alcohol that used to dominate my life. I thank God that He placed me around other nonChristian athletes so that I could speak the Gospel and show my life as an example of what Jesus can do. Team sports build a family like atmosphere where people trust one another and will listen to opinions that they normally wouldn't. And I was there for people to ask questions if they had any.

Which is better, yelling come to Jesus in public then running off without giving them support if they were to become Christians, or being around them and befriending them with the opportunity to meet at least once a week and help them grow as Christians?

Sports are as evil as work, school, eating or anything else. It can become an idol, but if used for the glory of God it is a powerful tool.

God is not against any sports.

I will totally agree with Stock, McQuacks and KnarfKS.

vinc said:
God is not against any sports.

I will totally agree with Stock, McQuacks and KnarfKS.
No one will force you to believe God.
Your choice is your own.

Jay T : Did God say anywhere that He does not like Sports?

As far as i know God, i think He would not be against any Sports as long as Sports does not come in between our personal relationship with God. If Sports comes in between us and God then the problem is with us and not with the Sports.

Sports is also a profession (apart from being a Recreation or Entertainment) like any other profession and some people take it seriously as a career. It is very much possible to be a Sportsman/Sportswoman and still be a good Christian, a good witness, bringing glory to God similar to any other Christian in a different Profession/Career.

I would agree with the following article below -

How should a Christian view sports / athletics? - http://www.gotquestions.org/sports-Christian.html

And, the question of unbelief in God does not arise here.

Sports make you worship a ball flying through the air, that much is true...

Unless it's curling, cause that's not even really a sport :)

Well, that is not called Worship Dalen. Thatz a highly exaggerated thinking from your side. Sorry to say that. And, God is not a fool to think that His kids are worshipping a ball.

They might like to concentrate on the ball to improve their skill which is fine with God in my opinion.

vinc said:
Jay T : Did God say anywhere that He does not like Sports?
As I've said before.....the basic principle of sports is to triumph over another person. To prove ones superior power over another,
A totally anti-christian principle.

The principle of Christianity is to lift another person over yourself, being a servant to someone else.
Helping them be a better person, thru ones self-sacrifice in helping them acheive that goal.
As far as i know God, i think He would not be against any Sports as long as Sports does not come in between our personal relationship with God. If Sports comes in between us and God then the problem is with us and not with the Sports.
Had one studied their Bible, one could easily see that satanic principles are always to place one self above another......
14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

I'll get my divine spells prepared and we can start burning down football fields at your command JayT :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back