Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Spring?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WIP

Staff member
Looks like we might be in for another late spring again this year. Today we are in near blizzard conditions. The forecast shows we can expect temps down near 0° F. Sunday and Monday morning.

I operate a small hobby farm in central Minnesota. I try to grow wheat, soybeans, maybe some oats, and hay. In an average year where I live a basic rule of thumb is to have my small grains (oats and wheat) sown as early as the ground can be worked and preferably by the end of April if possible. Last year was a late spring and I didn't plant my wheat until May 24, which is the latest I ever did. Planting that late will usually mean that the crop will be subjected to too much of the mid-summer heat and that can have a huge affect on the quality and volume of my harvest.

For soybeans the rule of thumb is to plant the seed around mid to late May. It's important to wait until the ground temperature gets above 50° F. at least 2" deep. When planted late like that, there's a risk of not getting enough hot days to fully mature the plants because we have a rather short growing season. Last year I didn't get my soybeans planted until June 8.

Looks like we might be in for another late spring again this year. Today we are in near blizzard conditions.

I don't envy you. Used to live in Michigan, and I don't miss the cold. I'll never forget going up there to visit one time after living in Louisiana for several years, and it took me days to realize why I was so cold in mid-May, Lol.

Hope your planting and harvest goes well this year. Just noticed we have a mild cold front coming as well, which may be part of the same system that is finally reaching its way down here.

I don't envy you. Used to live in Michigan, and I don't miss the cold. I'll never forget going up there to visit one time after living in Louisiana for several years, and it took me days to realize why I was so cold in mid-May, Lol.

Hope your planting and harvest goes well this year. Just noticed we have a mild cold front coming as well, which may be part of the same system that is finally reaching its way down here.
You've heard of MN Nice? We like to share. :biggrin2

This spring around the corner is teasing a lot of us a little.

We had much warmer temps last week and earlier this week and now it's back to cloudy and cold wind.

Some of the trees here are blossoming and I'm not sure what their temperature tolerances are since they lost their leaves in the winter, but I'm surprised those few trees around here aren't giving up...must be enough sun warmth for them somewhere.

Other trees aren't even trying to bud their leaves yet.

The cold keeps coming, though. I'm sure it'll all work itself out and it will be spring soon.

Hope the planting and harvesting continues to go well for you!

This spring around the corner is teasing a lot of us a little.

We had much warmer temps last week and earlier this week and now it's back to cloudy and cold wind.

Some of the trees here are blossoming and I'm not sure what their temperature tolerances are since they lost their leaves in the winter, but I'm surprised those few trees around here aren't giving up...must be enough sun warmth for them somewhere.

Other trees aren't even trying to bud their leaves yet.

The cold keeps coming, though. I'm sure it'll all work itself out and it will be spring soon.

Hope the planting and harvesting continues to go well for you!
Today is sunny but our high temp for the day has only managed to get up to 5° F. That would even be a cold overnight low for this time of year. The forecast might be starting to improve. Next Wednesday and Thursday we are predicted to have highs around 37° F. Hoping that is a trend to continue.

Today is sunny but our high temp for the day has only managed to get up to 5° F. That would even be a cold overnight low for this time of year. The forecast might be starting to improve. Next Wednesday and Thursday we are predicted to have highs around 37° F. Hoping that is a trend to continue.
Brrrr 🥶

It's been 50s/60s here. Last week got into the 70s.

Not sure I could tolerate the cold that much.

Looks like we might be in for another late spring again this year. Today we are in near blizzard conditions. The forecast shows we can expect temps down near 0° F. Sunday and Monday morning.

I operate a small hobby farm in central Minnesota. I try to grow wheat, soybeans, maybe some oats, and hay. In an average year where I live a basic rule of thumb is to have my small grains (oats and wheat) sown as early as the ground can be worked and preferably by the end of April if possible. Last year was a late spring and I didn't plant my wheat until May 24, which is the latest I ever did. Planting that late will usually mean that the crop will be subjected to too much of the mid-summer heat and that can have a huge affect on the quality and volume of my harvest.

For soybeans the rule of thumb is to plant the seed around mid to late May. It's important to wait until the ground temperature gets above 50° F. at least 2" deep. When planted late like that, there's a risk of not getting enough hot days to fully mature the plants because we have a rather short growing season. Last year I didn't get my soybeans planted until June 8.
We had a taste of it a few times recently, but sadly there is snow on the ground here this morning. Really hard on the health to pretty much do nothing all day, but that is likely what I will do today.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back