Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Stars and Planets (for Heidi)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jwu

So I see stars and planets as synonymous. And since no scientist has ever visited a star, they can't prove they're different from planets.
The light that stars give off indicates that they are powered by nuclear fusion. Planets merely reflect light and absorb a whole lot of it. Hence we can easily determine if a dot of light in the sky is a planet or a star.

jwu said:
So I see stars and planets as synonymous. And since no scientist has ever visited a star, they can't prove they're different from planets.
The light that stars give off indicates that they are powered by nuclear fusion. Planets merely reflect light and absorb a whole lot of it. Hence we can easily determine if a dot of light in the sky is a planet or a star.

"Indicates" is the key word. What that means is that by the "reasoning" of scientists which changes with the seasons, that's what they speculate. So if scientists know all about stars nd planets, why do they need to visit them? :o In fact, after visiting mars, they got a lot more information than they had before. so sorry, but until they visit a star, their theories are as speculative as they are imaginary. ;-)

Science corrects itself when it makes mistakes.

Are you saying that the interpretation of spectra is mistaken? What better explanation do you propose?

The very fact that stars give off their own light while planets merely reflect light already should be a sufficient hint that they are different...

jwu said:
Science corrects itself when it makes mistakes.

Are you saying that the interpretation of spectra is mistaken? What better explanation do you propose?

The very fact that stars give off their own light while planets merely reflect light already should be a sufficient hint that they are different...

I don't claim to know better than God does. So I don't form conclusions from incomplete information like scientists do. Jesus tells us that the stars will fall from the sky at his return. So since he's proven that he has the authority to know these things, I'll listen to him any day over those who change their minds with the seasons. :)

So I don't form conclusions from incomplete information like scientists do.
Since new data could overthrow the existing models, science only ever considers things to be "provisionally correct".

Do we have any reason to reject the conclusion that stars are huge balls of hydrogen that are undergoing nuclear fusion? All these things leave clear traces in form of radiation of a specific wavelength, just like fingerprints at a crime scene.

And of course, we can see it directly at our own sun.

jwu said:
So I don't form conclusions from incomplete information like scientists do.
Since new data could overthrow the existing models, science only ever considers things to be "provisionally correct".

Do we have any reason to reject the conclusion that stars are huge balls of hydrogen that are undergoing nuclear fusion? All these things leave clear traces in form of radiation of a specific wavelength, just like fingerprints at a crime scene.

And of course, we can see it directly at our own sun.

Yes, we do. But since you don't know the light of God, then you don't know where the first light came from. In Genesis, the light became before the sun. And all born again Christians know that light. Unbelievers and scientists do not. ;-)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back