Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Staying on the righteous path

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Kyler

Hello, Guys. I posted the other day my testimony and today I wanted to help you stay on the righteous path.

Something that may help you is that:

"He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God neither he that loveth not his brother." - 1 John 3: 8-11 (KJV)

Also

"All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness." -1 John 5: 17-19 (KJV).

I hope that you stay on the holy path that way you may stay with God and be holy and receive all your lives.

Hey All,
Kyler, what about the rest of us who love God, but still sin occasionally? We know God has saved us by grace through faith in Jesus. I have never been able to turn the sinful nature completely off like you apparently have been able to do. My sin nature still gets me to sin every so often.

Now I know that 1 John covers me, by telling me to confess my sin and God will cleanse me from all unrighteousness. I also know that John tells if I do sin, Jesus is my advocate with the Father. So I know I am covered.

But its the remorse once I am aware the wrong I committed, that I want to end. If you are a believer, you cannot sin without feeling remorse. If you don't sin, then you have no idea what those of us who are not perfect feel like when we do sin.

So please explain how you live a perfect life locked inside an imperfect flesh. I have never been able to do this for any considerable length of time. I try and try. I have never been able to completely shut off the ability to sin. What is the secret?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hello, Guys. I posted the other day my testimony and today I wanted to help you stay on the righteous path.

"He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God neither he that loveth not his brother." - 1 John 3: 8-11 (KJV)

Also

"All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness." -1 John 5: 17-19 (KJV).

I hope that you stay on the holy path that way you may stay with God and be holy and receive all your lives.
What defines sin?
What is sin?

Also

Guilt won't keep anyone on the path; not in the way God wants.

Craven fear won't keep anyone on the path; not in the way God wants.

Obligation won't keep anyone on the path; not in the way God wants.

Self-righteousness won't keep anyone on the path; not in the way God wants.

Love is the only motive for walking with God that He will accept. All others are ultimately self-oriented, not God-oriented, and lead away from God, in the end, not toward Him.

Matthew 22:35-38
35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 John 4:16-19
16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.

"All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness."
There are some lights in the world.

They are attacked by religious and non-religious people .

Hey All,
Kyler, what about the rest of us who love God, but still sin occasionally? We know God has saved us by grace through faith in Jesus. I have never been able to turn the sinful nature completely off like you apparently have been able to do. My sin nature still gets me to sin every so often.

Now I know that 1 John covers me, by telling me to confess my sin and God will cleanse me from all unrighteousness. I also know that John tells if I do sin, Jesus is my advocate with the Father. So I know I am covered.

But its the remorse once I am aware the wrong I committed, that I want to end. If you are a believer, you cannot sin without feeling remorse. If you don't sin, then you have no idea what those of us who are not perfect feel like when we do sin.

So please explain how you live a perfect life locked inside an imperfect flesh. I have never been able to do this for any considerable length of time. I try and try. I have never been able to completely shut off the ability to sin. What is the secret?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Hey,

I sometimes get the same thing. I went through a rough battle and luckily came out on top. I think about how many times I could have just forfeited everything and I am so glad that God stayed by myself and help me get what I needed. So, for anyone I really think it's more than sin sometimes that we look at. It's the relationship with God that we have. As long as you are doing what you can for him, then I think that is one of the most important things that you can do.

What defines sin?
What is sin?
My definition of sin would be not following after God but following after the antichrist, or doing what God disapproves of. In the Bible he tells you what you can and can not do. And the rest of it is as follows is kind of sense. But, if you would like more information on what you can and can not do then I would ask that you ask your church leader(s) and if you don't feel comfortable asking them, then I would pray that what you can and can not do comes to light to you that way you make no mistakes and your life is cherished.

My definition of sin would be not following after God but following after the antichrist, or doing what God disapproves of. In the Bible he tells you what you can and can not do. And the rest of it is as follows is kind of sense. But, if you would like more information on what you can and can not do then I would ask that you ask your church leader(s) and if you don't feel comfortable asking them, then I would pray that what you can and can not do comes to light to you that way you make no mistakes and your life is cherished.

Kyler,
How we define sin doesn't matter. God tells us what sin is .

1 John 3:4
4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

Kyler,
How we define sin doesn't matter. God tells us what sin is .

1 John 3:4
4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
Okay, well it's the things that are not written in the bible that may also be sin. If you look simply at the law then each state may have a different law. Also, not following the commandments and statutes, for example. If a person doesn't follow them are they not sinning? But where is the law to define that these are enforced?

There are some lights in the world.

They are attacked by religious and non-religious people .
Yes, I agree. I went through being attacked by some people that I thought I knew. It was one of the most horrible things that I went through. But rest in Jesus none of that matters.

Also

Thank you Kyler,

for posting this great topic that we all should give heed to.

Amen.

Jesus warned us to remain in Him - (words of Christ in red)

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

• If anyone does not abide in Me

Here is how this same apostle John instructs us to remain in Christ.

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB

Also

Are you suggesting you are sinless?

Okay, well it's the things that are not written in the bible that may also be sin. If you look simply at the law then each state may have a different law. Also, not following the commandments and statutes, for example. If a person doesn't follow them are they not sinning? But where is the law to define that these are enforced?

Sometimes following the law of the state is sin, and we should break those laws if it is sin to follow them

Daniel 3:16
16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us[a] from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

As long as you are doing what you can for him, then I think that is one of the most important things that you can do.

Well, this isn't actually what the Bible says, though.

The Christian life is God doing for us, not the other way 'round. He opens our minds so we can see the Truth of the Gospel (John 6:44; John 16:8; 2 Timothy 2:25), then He saves us (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5), and then He begins to transform His born-again children by the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:18; Romans 8:9-16; Galatians 5:22-23) making them more and more like Jesus. All of this He does to us; we can't do any of this for Him ourselves.

Like begets like. A cat begets a cat; a cockroach begets a cockroach; a rose bush begets roses; and you beget only more of you. If you want to beget a godly life, the only sort of life God wants from you, you have to go to Him and get Him to beget Himself in you; for only God can beget godliness in you.

This is, in part, what Jesus was saying in the following statement he made to his disciples:

John 15:4-5
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

The apostle Paul made the same sort of statement:

Romans 5:6-10
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

We come to God for salvation as profoundly weak, sin-fouled creatures without the ability to live as God wants us to, as He created us to do. See: Titus 3:3-5; Ephesians 2:1-9; Colossians 1:21-22. We continue to be weak and wayward even after we're saved, however, which is why we read in the Bible:

Philippians 2:12-13
12 ...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

We can only "work out" what God has first worked into us. In other words, if God hasn't first worked into us both the ability and desire to do His will, we won't "work out our salvation" in the way He intends. Instead, we'll just beget, or produce, our version of godliness. God doesn't want our version, though; He wants His version, which He intends to form in us by the Person of the Holy Spirit. If we'll walk with God in the way He's told us to in His word, God the Holy Spirit, who lives within every born-again child of God (Romans 8:9-14; 1 John 4:13; John 14:16-17; Titus 3:5-7; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20) will act upon us and change us so that we are more and more truly godly.

Do you know how to "walk in the Spirit"? Are you walking daily in the Spirit?

Galatians 5:16
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
Galatians 5:22-25
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

If not, you are walking in the flesh and are a rebel toward God, as a result. No rebel can ever produce a life with which God is pleased. In fact, God opposes His children who are walking in the flesh rather than in the Spirit.

Hopefully, you can see now that "just trying to do your best" for God isn't at all what God wants from us. Our best stinks and God doesn't want it. He wants, instead, to manifest, or reveal, Himself in us, by the life and work of the Person of the Holy Spirit. Only the Holy Spirit can beget in us the sort of life with which God is pleased.

What sins are not written in the Bible? The lust of the eyes, the lust of life, and the pride of the life cover everything.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Also

Thanks for the great exhortation.
And welcome to the site !
Here are a few more verses to lift you up...
“Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.” (Rom. 6:6-7)

"Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." (Rom 6:18)

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Rom 6:22)

"Free from sin !"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back