Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Sun will be darkened, moon will turn blood red

Lee100

The Book of Revelation says that the sun will be darkened and the moon will turn blood red and the stars will not give their light. Does anybody else think that this sounds like a major asteroid impact which is biblical see
Revelation 8:8 ( The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood,).

This event could also be caused by a nuclear bomb, or a volcanic explosion.

Memo from staff: topic moved to End Times

It could just be the sun dying. The end will come either way whether God will end it prematurely or not.

it is not my belief that God will end everything on earth, scripture does say that the earth continues, remade as the new earth. But I do believe that something bad will happen in December 21 2012.

Lee100 said:
The Book of Revelation says that the sun will be darkened and the moon will turn blood red and the stars will not give their light. Does anybody else think that this sounds like a major asteroid impact which is biblical see
Revelation 8:8 ( The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood,).

Lots of symbolism in Revelation. Not the first time the sun was said to be darkened when God crushed a nation etc.

Eze 32:2 Son of man, take up a lamentation over Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say unto him, Thou wast likened unto a young lion of the nations: yet art thou as a monster in the seas; and thou didst break forth with thy rivers, and troubledst the waters with thy feet, and fouledst their rivers.
Eze 32:3 Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: I will spread out my net upon thee with a company of many peoples; and they shall bring thee up in my net.
Eze 32:4 And I will leave thee upon the land, I will cast thee forth upon the open field, and will cause all the birds of the heavens to settle upon thee, and I will satisfy the beasts of the whole earth with thee.
Eze 32:5 And I will lay thy flesh upon the mountains, and fill the valleys with thy height.
Eze 32:6 I will also water with thy blood the land wherein thou swimmest, even to the mountains; and the watercourses shall be full of thee.
Eze 32:7 And when I shall extinguish thee, I will cover the heavens, and make the stars thereof dark; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon shall not give its light.
Eze 32:8 All the bright lights of heaven will I make dark over thee, and set darkness upon thy land, saith the Lord Jehovah.
Eze 32:9 I will also vex the hearts of many peoples, when I shall bring thy destruction among the nations, into the countries which thou hast not known.
Eze 32:10 Yea, I will make many peoples amazed at thee, and their kings shall be horribly afraid for thee, when I shall brandish my sword before them; and they shall tremble at every moment, every man for his own life, in the day of thy fall.
Eze 32:11 For thus saith the Lord Jehovah: The sword of the king of Babylon shall come upon thee.

Also, mountains are used to symbolize nations, water/seas - people etc, etc.

Lee100 said:

As I have asserted in a number of other threads, it is important to understand that there is a strong tradition in the Bible of using such "end of the world" apocalyptic language to describe "socio-political" events and invest them with their theological significance.

Many modern Christians do not know this and take such language more or less literally. But to do so is to read it out of context.

Here is just one example.

10For the stars of heaven and their constellations
Will not flash forth their light;
The sun will be dark when it rises
And the moon will not shed its light

What was going on? Babylon was being destroyed, never to be rebuilt. There are other examples of such metaphorical “end of the world†imagery being used to describe much more “mundane†events within the present space-time manifold.

My guess is that the passage in question does not refer to anything as literally apocalyptic as the options you list.

Originally posted by Lee100

I don't think anyone knows EXACTLY what that is describing as far as the specifics. However, using the Bible itself to explain events sometimes helps:

Rev 6:12 I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake.
The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned
blood red,

Rev 6:13 and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs
drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind.

Rev 6:14 The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and
island was removed from its place.

Rev 6:15 Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich,
the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the
rocks of the mountains.

Rev 6:16 They called to the mountains and the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us
from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!

Rev 6:17 For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?"

Here's the same scene from another point of view (repetition and enlargement)

Rev 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse,
whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war.

Rev 19:12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He
has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.

Rev 19:13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word
of God.

Rev 19:14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and
dressed in fine linen, white and clean.

Rev 19:15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the
nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of
the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.

Rev 19:16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF
KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Rev 19:17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice
to all the birds flying in midair, "Come, gather together for the great supper
of God,

Rev 19:18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and mighty men,
of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, small
and great."

Rev 19:19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies
gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army.

Rev 19:20 But the beast was captured, and with him the false
prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his
behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the
beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the
fiery lake of burning sulfur.

Rev 19:21 The rest of them were killed with the sword that came
out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged
themselves on their flesh.

New International Version (©1984)
REVELATION 8:11
the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter. :couch

I guess this could be an easy task to achieve, a slide tilting of our 3D space might give that effect. I don't know what such a space tilting is for though.

I'm just having fun. Maybe it's the period just before the sun goes supernova. When everything including the heavens is burnt up by fire.
2 Peter 3:7  But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2 Peter 3:12  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Oh, really. I'm not making any prediction of why the sun is black and the moon blood red...but it is the final sign before the Lord returns. I expect some preterist argument after that...but that's what I believe.
Here are some other amusing thoughts.
Isaiah 34:4  And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.
Revelation 6:14  And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
and if you want to go overboard...the galaxies are a spiral and they would just roll up as a scroll. :lol Oh, why not...the preterists get to symbolize.
Oh, and the ancient latin for that is...canetrolupye...(can it roll up yeah) and the greek is verispossibilis(very possibly) :lol...or maybe that was latin too :confused :lol

justvisiting said:
Here are some other amusing thoughts.
Isaiah 34:4  And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.
This is a text taken from Isaiah's prophecy about the fate of Edom. It has already been fulfilled. More evidence that this "end of the world" language is not to be taken literallly.

so far i believe this is two fold, that it is physical and spiritual. but i dont believe it has anything to do with astreroids.

the spiritual of it is that the sun moon and stars speaks of Gods people who are lights to the world, they are spiritually for signs and seasons just like the real physical ones are to the world. at the end when the time for His wrath is come, we will no longer be a light to them but we will be darkness to them. It is given to us to judge the world and send forth Gods wrath upon the wicked world after the tribulation is over and the Day of the Lord the time of His wrath is darkness and not light unpon them. Now we are a light of the Lord to them, but then we will be darkness and not light to them, when salvation is cut off and all that exists for them at that point is wrath poured forth from God by us onto them.At this point we will be with the Lord in the air.( the differnce of stars moon and sun as it relates to Gods people are the three fold fruit and glories of celetial bodies, those who brought forth 100 fold=sun 60=moon stars=30, each will be rewarded by God and made ruler over what He brought forth and was faithful with).

i also believe that itis possible and likely that this will physically happen as well but i do not think it will be by asteroid.

justvisiting said:
I'm just having fun. Maybe it's the period just before the sun goes supernova. When everything including the heavens is burnt up by fire.
2 Peter 3:7  But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2 Peter 3:12  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Oh, really. I'm not making any prediction of why the sun is black and the moon blood red...but it is the final sign before the Lord returns. I expect some preterist argument after that...but that's what I believe.

Why on earth would Jesus instruct His disciples to flee Judea?

I wonder if in the midsts of the smoke and flames of the California wildfires the sun appears darkened and the moon appears blood red? :chin

The language in Revelation is really not that difficult if one is familiar w/ the Old Testament. The language of sun being darkened, moon turning to blood is poetic language for God bringing about judgment. It was used in Isaiah 13 when pronouncing judgment on Babylon and in Joel 2 as another way of describing God's judgment on Israel. When Jesus said the same thing to his disciples in Matthew 24, they would've understood what he meant. They wouldn't have thought "Oh, it's a nuclear bomb" or whatever. They understood it as poetic language of judgment that would come on Israel and result in the Temple being destroyed, which it was in 70 AD.

Lee100 said:

There's also a parallel in Revelation with the plagues upon Egypt in the days of Moses.

Our Lord's Book of Revelation does something unique in how it covers things too. Look at this...

Rev 8:7
7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.(KJV)

Rev 9:4
4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
(KJV)

The Revelation 9 chapter is right after those Rev.8 descriptions. The Rev.9:4 example forces us to reconsider how that Rev.8:7 verse is meant, don't you think? Those verses aren't contradicting each other. It's only that the later Rev.9 example is showing us what ideas are really meant. This is why I believe there's a relation with the events of the vials along with the trumpets.

Rev 16:3-4
3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.
4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.
(KJV)

Comparing all those examples, what's the verdict? Definitely God's judgment. But those examples have to also be compared with the rest of the descrptions in their specific chapters too. The main Message I get, because of the locust army in the Rev.9 example of their not being allowed to hurt any green thing, is the whole matter is especially about spiritual decepiton. The only ones the locusts are allowed to sting are those NOT sealed with God's seal. And our Lord Jesus in Rev.17:15 said "waters" represent peoples, nations, multitudes, and tongues, i.e. peoples.

If you study Revelation more deeply, you'll discover the tribulation it speaks of involves a time of world peace on earth, not all out world war three, nor the coming of some giant asteroid. In 1 Thess.5 Apostle Paul said that when they shall say, "Peace and safety", then sudden destruction will come upon them. The Armageddon event happens when Christ returns to fight with His angels, when He shall subdue all the kings of the earth, and take over all kingdoms on this earth. That event will take place very quickly.

denise04 said:
why not just take it as it says
Because we know from Biblical precedent that this "end of the world" imagery is used metaphorically to denote non end of the world events. The people who wrote the Bible were not fools - they knew an effective literary device when they saw one.

Back