Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Super long post; do you read them?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

ChristineES

Do you read the very long posts? I am wondering this because sometimes a post is so long it would fit several sheets of paper.

Re: Super long post

ChristineES said:
Do you read the very long posts? I am wondering this because sometimes a post is so long it would fit several sheets of paper.

If you are talking about the one on REPENTANCE the identical post was placed on lots of forums and much of the references are Mormon. There should be a rule against that sort of thing - multiple postings I mean.

But in any case I don't read stuff like that.

Re: Super long post

ChristineES said:

No, sorry :sad

destiny said:
Featherbop said:
I almost didn't read this topic because I thought it was a long post...
LOL, Me too!! I thought "Oh Lord, forget that one." :lol:

I barely read the super long posts, much less write one. Who has the time? :-D

i read them. as one who has had to make super long posts before, i try to give it to other people, cause some stuff needs a comprehensive reply whereas other stuff you can just give one liners.

sometimes, if the topic interests me.

If it is either several SEVERAL (liek 30) quotes from the bible (With 1-2 lines about it) then i dont.
If its conservative trash talk and hate speech, i usually read the first paragraph until i stop, because I knwo if i continue I am goign to jsut end up sending Fox News and the Bush administration rude emails/letters.

Or if its abotu soemthing I am TOTALLY not interested in (anime, competitive curling, etc) i dont read it :-P

ChristineES said:

Personally, I have to say it depends.

I'm new to this board so I don't know anyone yet. But speaking from experiences on "other" boards I've had.. once you get to know a person's M.O. and how they operate, and if they perpetually generate nothing but negativity, I tend to ignore the laborious posts from these guys. I would just rather not get sucked in, know what I mean?

Also.. sometimes I'll read the first part of the post to get a feel of "where" it's going and what the poster's intention is and let be the deciding factor of whether I want to lend my precious time to continue to give attention to it.

Dig?

:)

I think that members who generate long posts are frequently wasting their time. A lot of effort is placed into something that will be skipped by many people. I consider myself to be relatively patient but I often skip a post that is longer than about 25 sentences (rough guess).

On a related topic, some people seem (and I want to be fair, so I use the word “seemâ€Â) to argue by posting from other sources or by providing links to relatively lengthy articles. I would humbly suggest that this can a strategy of avoidance – evading the need to formulate a position in one’s own words. In my view, such a strategy can suggest an attempt to win a war of attrition with one’s opponent.

If Fred debates by constructing his own material and Joe responds by posting a lengthy article, Joe is “getting away with†less work than Fred and can “wear Fred out†even if Joe’s arguments are not all that strong. To be fair, as a person who rarely if ever posts other people’s material, I am perhaps under-estimating the amount of research that it takes to locate the material that is “cut and pasted†in by the "Joes" in this forum.

On balance, I think one’s credibility is enhanced by presenting positions in one’s own words, and in as concise a manner as possible.

To be fair, though, we (myself included) must remember that not all members have been given the same opportunity in life to learn to write clearly and concisely. Many of our limitations are due to things we have no control over.

I think that members who generate long posts are frequently wasting their time. A lot of effort is placed into something that will be skipped by many people. I consider myself to be relatively patient but I often skip a post that is longer than about 25 sentences (rough guess).

SO true!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back