Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Super Volcano!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
See that things just discovered, like Pangea, were already mentioned in the scriptures:

Gen. 1:9 And God, said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear

Gen 1:9 doesn't describe Pangea. It talks about when land first appeared. When Pangea came together, it was from landmasses that were already in existence.

Pangea is not mentioned in the bible.

Anonymous Moderator Thought said:
Well, I can't post much anywhere without sparking debate. Then I'm left defending myself, but such is the nature of the subject matter. While we need... to be able to have honest discussions, we [also] need to emphasize mutual compassion & understanding for alternate and opposing views so that people won't be afraid to express themselves [and so they] don't feel threatened for it.

For example, my views do not need to be accepted by anyone else for me to hold them, but at the same time they are open for challenge, as long as there is an attempt to be understood & not just attacked or [descriptive term omitted], by someone opposed

We all need to tone down the rhetoric (noise) at times. This is not really such a broad topic, "Super Volcano!" and our discussion seems friendly so far... right?
As a mod, I'm thinking about giving this thread a warning and/or a time-out. Not sure if I have the power to do such things (and since I am a participant I don't want to) but I don't mind finding out either. Free will log on sometime soon and I do want him to see that we are all doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather put my faith in the God inspired words written in the most important book in the world, than a bunch of unproven "assumptions" purported by men to try to find "rational explanations" for what God has done.
Greetings Knotical,

That seems to conform with 1Tim 6:20 very well.

~Sparrow

Sparrow's thought said:
I'm thinking about a motto for the Christianity & Science forum. Something along the lines of "Let's strive to put Christianity back into the good ol' C&T"
:topictotopic

Super Volcanoes anybody? Geology? I like this discussion and will continue to ponder it throughout the quarter in school.

Greetings Knotical,

That seems to conform with 1Tim 6:20 very well.

~Sparrow

:topictotopic

Super Volcanoes anybody? Geology? I like this discussion and will continue to ponder it throughout the quarter in school.

Well no one seems interested in responding to the observation that the geological record does not seem to conforn with the time table for these enormous and life threatening volcanic eruptions, since the Mass Extinctions that have occurred were realted more to meteoric hits, and not record seem imprinted for them otherwise.

Well no one seems interested in responding to the observation that the geological record does not seem to conforn with the time table for these enormous and life threatening volcanic eruptions, since the Mass Extinctions that have occurred were realted more to meteoric hits, and not record seem imprinted for them otherwise.

Sorry, was that english? :confused

The Siberian Traps are one of several extensive flood basalt features on Earth's surface. Flood basalts represent great outpourings of lava from either giant volcanic eruptions or a series of eruptions over many years. The Siberian Traps are particularly noteworthy for their extent (two million square kilometres today, perhaps as much as seven million square kilometres at their greatest) and volume (from one to four million cubic kilometres of lava). The Siberian Traps are closely associated with the Permian-Triassic extinction event and would have dramatically affected Earth's atmosphere for many millions of years: sulphur aerosols and volcanic ash would have pervaded the atmosphere, blocking sunlight, causing temperatures to plummet and contributing to extensive glaciation. At the same time, the build-up of greenhouse gases would warm the climate and, in the long term ameliorate the glaciation. If this eruption had occurred in the recent past, we would still be experiencing its effects, along with the effects of the other 15-20 major continental flood basalt flows that we know about.

Impacts of Volcanic Gases on Climate, the Environment, and People

The Central Atlantic Magmatic Province and the Deccan Traps also appear related to major extinction events. In short, flood basalts are not compatible with young Earth chronologies.

Greetings LK,

Been awhile since we talked. I'm taking a Geology class now and trying to quickly wrap my mind around concepts while learning terms.
Hoping for a "B" out of the class, there simply isn't enough time to do the subject justice.

Glad to see your contributions about Siberian volcanic action. When I look at the USGS sites they (being US focused) leave that stuff out. Also, mine is an introductory class designed for sophmores. Am thinking about taking Oceanography next QTR. Do you have any links handy for non-US geological services/sites from your bookmarks maybe? I can do google searches (later) but thought I'd ask (for friendly and sorted-as-"good" sources that you might recommend). Also, I just wanted to pop up a "Howdee, LK" to ya.

Cordially
Sparrow

The Siberian Traps are one of several extensive flood basalt features on Earth's surface. Flood basalts represent great outpourings of lava from either giant volcanic eruptions or a series of eruptions over many years. The Siberian Traps are particularly noteworthy for their extent (two million square kilometres today, perhaps as much as seven million square kilometres at their greatest) and volume (from one to four million cubic kilometres of lava). The Siberian Traps are closely associated with the Permian-Triassic extinction event and would have dramatically affected Earth's atmosphere for many millions of years: sulphur aerosols and volcanic ash would have pervaded the atmosphere, blocking sunlight, causing temperatures to plummet and contributing to extensive glaciation. At the same time, the build-up of greenhouse gases would warm the climate and, in the long term ameliorate the glaciation. If this eruption had occurred in the recent past, we would still be experiencing its effects, along with the effects of the other 15-20 major continental flood basalt flows that we know about.

Impacts of Volcanic Gases on Climate, the Environment, and People

The Central Atlantic Magmatic Province and the Deccan Traps also appear related to major extinction events. In short, flood basalts are not compatible with young Earth chronologies.

Now we are focusing on the important correlations here.
How does this Permian extinction/ Siberian Trap coincidence stack up against the time table sated in the article for recurrences, and is their another correlation with the great extinction of The Cambrian Mass Extinction from 543-510 million years ago?

Greetings LK,

Been awhile since we talked. I'm taking a Geology class now and trying to quickly wrap my mind around concepts while learning terms.
Hoping for a "B" out of the class, there simply isn't enough time to do the subject justice.

Glad to see your contributions about Siberian volcanic action. When I look at the USGS sites they (being US focused) leave that stuff out. Also, mine is an introductory class designed for sophmores. Am thinking about taking Oceanography next QTR. Do you have any links handy for non-US geological services/sites from your bookmarks maybe? I can do google searches (later) but thought I'd ask (for friendly and sorted-as-"good" sources that you might recommend). Also, I just wanted to pop up a "Howdee, LK" to ya.

Cordially
Sparrow
Hello Sparrow.

Glad to hear your studies are progressing and geology delivers all you hope for it.

Here are a couple of links to sites on the Siberian Traps, one British, one Russian. You should find them interesting:

http://www.le.ac.uk/gl/ads/SiberianTraps/Index.html

http://lab.crust.irk.ru/izotop/paper/GSA Ivanov 2007.pdf

Best wishes,

LK.

Greetings LK,

Cordially
Sparrow

This is great Mr Sparrow...
Geology has recorded the History of the Earth inside the rocks and I wonder what you have to say about the six major rock divisions that mark off that History, plus the recent addition to the story that includes now mention of the Chaotian eon:

///

1. Chaotian evening of theFormative/Cosmologic Era -

Chaotian_eon.JPG

… and the Cryptic morning of the Hadean Era/ = First Day

hadean.jpg

2. Early Imbrian evening of the Hadean Era -

hadean.jpg

… and the Eoarchean morning of the Archaean Era/ = Second Day

archean.jpg

3. Neo-archean evening of the Archaean Era-

archean.jpg

… and the Paleo-proterozoic morning of the Proterozoic Era/ = ThirdDay

proterozoic.jpg

4. Neo-proterozoic evening of the Proterozoic Era-

proterozoic.jpg

… and the Cambrian morning of the Paleozoic Era/ = Fourth Day

paleozoicera.jpg

5. Permian evening of the Paleozoic Era-

paleozoicera.jpg

… and the Triassic morning of the Mesozoic Era/ = Fifth Day

meso.jpg

6. Cretaceous evening of the Mesozoic Era-

meso.jpg

… and the Tertiary morning of the Cenozoic Era/ = Six Day

cenozoic.jpg

7. Quaternary evening of the Cenozoic Era-

cenozoic.jpg

… and the Recent Epoch morning of the Common Era/ = Seventh Day

stairstonow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great Mr Sparrow...
Geology has recorded the History of the Earth inside the rocks and I wonder what you have to say about the six major rock divisions that mark off that History, plus the recent addition to the story that includes now mention of the
… and the Cryptic morning of the Hadean Era/ = First Day
Just trying to wrap my head around the meanings of the various terms. My professor said that the word "Hadean" derives from Hades, the Greek name for the god of the underworld.

I don't think he's gonna cover what you're talking about much. I'll need to be comfortable with the terms before I write my essay on the Geologic History of Western Washington. We're just going back a little bit though, not past what is termed the Glacial period. Next week is our Lecture exam (Wed) followed by a Rx ID lab exam (Fri) so I'm busy studying lecture notes, taking pictures of rocks and learning how to identify and classify them. He may briefly touch on the various eras that you mention but I doubt that my professor will share your thoughts, well, not exactly anyways.

Just trying to wrap my head around the meanings of the various terms. My professor said that the word "Hadean" derives from Hades, the Greek name for the god of the underworld.

I don't think he's gonna cover what you're talking about much. I'll need to be comfortable with the terms before I write my essay on the Geologic History of Western Washington. We're just going back a little bit though, not past what is termed the Glacial period. Next week is our Lecture exam (Wed) followed by a Rx ID lab exam (Fri) so I'm busy studying lecture notes, taking pictures of rocks and learning how to identify and classify them. He may briefly touch on the various eras that you mention but I doubt that my professor will share your thoughts, well, not exactly anyways.

Is the course Geo 1:01?

Did you ever have any other geology courses or touch on it in HS Physical Science?

I actually becme interested in Science as a major, Physics, because of Geology.
I found a book left in a classroom by a student apparently taking a course in Geology.
I noticed, as I leafed through the book, that it was 90% pictures and descriptions of beautiful rocks.

In just the first few pages, the book explained that these pictures and the information under them were to help a student of geology classify and identify rocks he might find in the field.
It then explained exactly how to use Specific Weight, Color, hardness, Fracture, etc, 10 methods of observation, in order to get a general range of what the rock actually was.
Then those pictures could help narrow the ID to a few possibilities.
It even had the detailed instructions for making a scale out of scapes of wood, andone steel ruler for a Balance which woukd allow findingthe SP Gravity by weighing the specimen is air and water displacment.

WOW.
Very little reading and one was a rock collector par excellent!
I made the scale, and got sucked into Science in general thereafter.

It's a sophomore class and I should have taken 101 first but thought I could skip it. It's going to be my first "C" grade if I continue along my current trajectory.

My experience with rocks came from a elementary geology class that I took back in the 1960's. I became a "collector" of pretty rocks (gathered at various sea shores) when my kids were young. We'd collect things that could be put into a tumbler and polished as mementos of our various family camping trips. I've also picked up a habit of picking up rocks at various events like marriages or other celebrations.

So now, when my eyes are being opened to the whole "Rock Cycle," and especially as we look at Volcanoes (where it can happen fast) I find myself fascinated. I'm very visual and creatively minded so casting myself back to the time of Mt. Vesuvius and hearing about Mr. Pliny (the elder) in 79 AD while trying to understand the term "Plinian" as a descriptor for explosive eruptions really helps. Have I already said that I'll sign up for Oceanography next quarter? My "method," (if you can call it that) for class selection is to take two required courses along with one personal selection, where I expect my piqued interest in the subject to carry me along. Geology seems to fit the bill.

It's a sophomore class and I should have taken 101 first but thought I could skip it. It's going to be my first "C" grade if I continue along my current trajectory.

My experience with rocks came from a elementary geology class that I took back in the 1960's. I became a "collector" of pretty rocks (gathered at various sea shores) when my kids were young. We'd collect things that could be put into a tumbler and polished as mementos of our various family camping trips. I've also picked up a habit of picking up rocks at various events like marriages or other celebrations.

So now, when my eyes are being opened to the whole "Rock Cycle," and especially as we look at Volcanoes (where it can happen fast) I find myself fascinated. I'm very visual and creatively minded so casting myself back to the time of Mt. Vesuvius and hearing about Mr. Pliny (the elder) in 79 AD while trying to understand the term "Plinian" as a descriptor for explosive eruptions really helps. Have I already said that I'll sign up for Oceanography next quarter? My "method," (if you can call it that) for class selection is to take two required courses along with one personal selection, where I expect my piqued interest in the subject to carry me along. Geology seems to fit the bill.

The pretty rocks was what got me interested, initially also.
But techniques and procedure for identifying the rocks finally comes down to qualitative/quantitative analysis.
That soon became obvious, so I concentrated in Chemistry.

What I found interesting there was especially Qualitative Analysis, where we were taught a series of steps, each one sending us to the left or the right side of a questioned result that had previously been tested for, and hence down a path of examinations towards the particular elements found in the rock sample, which we had received as a powder.
Once we knew what elements were in the rock, we then worked to find the exact percentages of each, (Quantitative Analsis, i.e.; another couple of courses), and hence chemically identify what type of mineral it was.

By that time, my original enthusiasm (for the prospect of hunting through the woods for strange pretty rocks in the hope of finding one and identifying it), had waned or been so detoured that I had forgotten to even use the kit and hand made scale that the book had encouraged me to put together.

LOL

By then, I was so amazed at all the things I did not know about.
Someone told me how a Crystal Radio could be made from a razor blade and a piece of quartz.
I found that so unbelievably important, to know that simple little things could lead to end products that appeared so sophisticated and impossible to have imaged someone "inventing."
I had thought such things were too complicated or beyond me, like how Radio, TV, or even how cars worked.

So, suckered into more college, I was taking courses in Physics, leading to a degree finally.

This same kind of motivation, starting with great enthusiasm and getting sucked into deeper more formal and structured analysis, was how I got interested in the Bible, though I had been brought up by a family of bible believers who had pretty much told me all about it.
Except for one guy, Uncle Charley.

He did tell me about it.
He told me about all the things he couldn't understand or figure out. (Reverse psychology??)

At age 12, he asked me to oil paint the wheels and four faced creatures in Ezekiel 1 and 10.
I had been learning and teaching myself to oil paint, so that was how it came up.

ez110.jpg

He gave me money to buy a large canvass and oil paints and brushes, and said, read ezekiel 1 to get the description.
After I had read Ezekiel 1, and 10, I was forever totally stuck with the thought and wonder about what Ezekiel might have been talking about.
I had no idea that those things were even in the Bible up until then.

I thought from my family teachings and church the bible was about being a good boy, pretending I wasn't totally sexually aroused all the time, and that I should obey parents and elders.
Not that the bible isn't about such good recommendations, but that it also is full of mystery and things the adults don't have a clue about and can't help you find a rational explanation.
What I did thereafter was read the Bible verse by verse, assuming every single thing was so important to think about, since it came from god and actually only about the size of one Text for subjects which only started at Course 1:01.
Every single verse MUST contain super important information considering that this one book covered and comprised the Subject, when the other discipline took many books and years to read through each.

So these things I write on these threads are really my book report.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back