Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Take the yankee or dixie test

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
45% Yankee... I don't think I'm that southern though. I did realize that the more you change answers, the more you become dixie...

40% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

I've been fascinated with US dialects ever since I first moved from Western PA and realized that I said quite a few things that were absolutely incomprehensible to most people in this country. I had seen the Harvarard survey which this was based on, and it had a lot of great information. Several dozen additional questions that the ones in this survey, complete with a map showing the US distribution for each question. Unfortunately, the website doesn't seem to be working anymore. However, here's a paper based on the Harvard survey which has a few maps and some interesting comments on various regions. And here is a site with pop vs. soda vs. coke results.

71% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

It would have been broader but I traveled in the North when I was younger and they sacred the drawl right out of me. Them people up there, don't put grits on their breakfast plate..they put potatoes!!!! and they don't even know what cornbread is..they think it is sweet..UgH..I nearly starved to death...Corn pudding? Now every one knows, corn comes on the cob. What's the point of taking it off? Couldn't find a Sweet Potato or pecan pie anywhere...They had these Creamie thingies.....no body to em....Everytime I would say Sir or Maam, they would accuse me of being tooo polite. I always thought there must be a fire somewhere because everyone was always running. They don't have porches for goodness sakes...they have stoops if anything....and don't get me started on the music....What kind of person never heard of George Straight?,,, :-D

73% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

I can't imagine what my score would have been if I have not lived in CA the past 4 years.

Golly!

Quath

Funny thing is, a few years back, my score was somewhere in the 70's being dixie. Problem was, I grew up on the eastern side of Washington State which is pretty darn far from the suthern states. :-?
Interesting enough, it's amazing how people from the southern states (SC, Tenn, TX etc.) migrated to the north, then to the west.
Living in Mi I've learned what sweetest day is and what devils night is. Oh, and pop is called "Vernors" :-D

92% Dixie :biggrin
  • General Lee is not my father but Jeff Foxworthy may be? :o

75% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

I was born and raised in Georgia but sense I grew up in Metro Atlanta and went to a very good High School and actually learned the English language I don’t have that much of an accent (So I have been told by northern people). Sad thing is some people in the south say I am not a true southerner since I grew up in Metro Atlanta.

I was 100% dixie. Which does not make sense since I have lived my entire life in southern florida. Which is heavily influenced by northerners.

48% Yankee, just barely a Yankee. My friend 38% Yankee.

Is Mischief Night really only a Jersey thing?

edog said:
I was 100% dixie. Which does not make sense since I have lived my entire life in southern florida. Which is heavily influenced by northerners.
:lol: I feel much better now.
I live in Ga. and wouldn't want to live anywhere else myself, I love the people, love the atmosphere, and love the simplicity. The south is numero uno! :bday:

53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I still say that the South needs to get over the fact that they lost 140 years ago, though. :tongue

41% yankee, just barely........How am I just barely yankee? I've lived in New Jersey my entire life.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back