Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] TED on Trees

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Sparkey

Retired
[video=youtube;WYRqN1F_DxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WYRqN1F_DxI#t=48[/video]

Some amazing things discussed in the video:
  • *The oldest tree is believed to be between 3000-5000 years old, with a large number of them reaching the 2500 mark.
  • *Because of their age, some organisms are found UNIQUELY on certain trees. That is to say, a specific tree might have organisms that is not found anywhere else on earth, including neighboring trees.
  • *There is a soil formation in the canopy, up to 1 metre deep. In this soil formation, unique species of copepods are found. They're crustaceans similar to the ones that are eaten by whales in the Ocean. Found hundreds and hundreds of feet up in the air, no one has any explanation on how these sea organisms managed to find themselves in the soil structure of these trees.
  • *Through a process called reiteration, the tree can grow trees out of branches. These new trees can grow more trees, and the process can happen up to 6 times. To explain, this would be similar to having each finger be a miniature person, and each miniature person's finger have another miniature person...6 times over.
  • Width of a trunk, and this is simply of average size - there are much wider ones

View attachment 3569 <---- click to ENLARGE

View attachment 3570

View attachment 3571

Cool stuff sparrow. It's amazing something can live so long. Why would ocean dwelling organisms be in their soil structure?

Picture some aliens who have been studying only the oceans of the world, and for some reason, never even considered looking for animals on land. They notice the amazing diversity of whales, dolphins, and porposes in the open sea, and then one day, an alien biologist decides to take a closer look at the land. And he discovers large numbers of mammals living in previously undiscovered habitats, and wonders how an organism adapted for the sea turns up in a forest thousands of miles from the sea.

Amazing. :yes

Does that suggest one important error in his concept?

Copepods are the most common crustacean found in groundwater, with over 1000 species, many highly evolved for a particular niche.

3-93ed56e6dc.jpg

I don't see a problem here.

I don't see a problem here.

Nobody does. We have different points of view. The flood happened. That's not a problem to me. There is evidence that science tries to explain. No problem for me either. Let's wait and see what God says about it, shall we? Agreed? No problem then. thanks

Nobody does. We have different points of view. The flood happened. That's not a problem to me.

Me either. It could be metaphorical or it could be real. There is evidence for a great flood in the Middle East at about the right time. And since the Bible doesn't say the flood was worldwide, we could easily accept the reality of Noah's flood.

There is evidence that science tries to explain. No problem for me either. Let's wait and see what God says about it, shall we? Agreed? No problem then. thanks

No problem there, either. I'll have a lot of questions when I get there. I hope He's inclined to tell us.

But these aren't the oldest trees??

View attachment 4699

Read more ----> Methuselah Tree

It's mindboggling to think of the age of some of these trees. There are olive trees in the Middle East that are ancient. The Sisters in Lebanon are thought to be maybe 6000 to 7000 years old?

View attachment 3576

The olive trees in what remains of the Garden of Gethsemani we visited a few years ago are said to be from the time of Christ. There's only a small enclosed area left of the garden. This photo was taken from the side near the chapel.

View attachment 3575

Last edited by a moderator:
Mindboggling and humbling indeed. Mark? Were you able to touch one of them?
I've never dreamed of travel to the earthly city of Jerusalem, that city where one may ask and inquire about Peace, but the thought of touching a tree that Jesus may have climbed while young?

I don't know this (meaning I've never experienced this before). It must be a marvel to see and to touch such a thing. Then comes another part of me and the longing to touch the physical is replaced. I woke less than an hour ago to a dream about this forum and the touch that I desire to see here. That's even better than a tree.

Mindboggling and humbling indeed. Mark? Were you able to touch one of them?
I've never dreamed of travel to the earthly city of Jerusalem, that city where one may ask and inquire about Peace, but the thought of touching a tree that Jesus may have climbed while young?

I don't know this (meaning I've never experienced this before). It must be a marvel to see and to touch such a thing. Then comes another part of me and the longing to touch the physical is replaced. I woke less than an hour ago to a dream about this forum and the touch that I desire to see here. That's even better than a tree.

Yes.

My wife and I were traveling alone, not in a tour. When a tour group arrives, security is careful to mind that people stay outside the enclosure. When people arrive as we did, frequently the security will let you insode the enclosure to take pictures, sit and meditate, etc. I have to tell you, sparrow, visiting the garden was one of the most spiritual moments I've ever had. From the Garden you can look acros the Kidron Valley to the Golden Gate, through which Jesus had entered the city on a colt. Being there where Jesus had walked and prayed, and looking across the valley to the city walls, thinking about what happened 2000 year ago, reduced me to tears. I've never felt so close to Jesus as I did at that moment. I don't think I could have had that experience in a tour group.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back