Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tell me more on this.....

As I read my Bible... and meditating in the scripture I stumble on 2 Timothy 3:16, and the epistle say that All scripture is inspired....but as I examine my NIV and KJV, or NRSV, or CCB. I never find the lists of books to be read....

I asked my best friend who is a youth pastor in cornerstone and he just not entertain my question...

I believe in the Bible 100% but where is the answer to my questions?

2 Tim 3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
You ask what books should be read, I say all. All 66 books of the bible that is. I would start with the Gospel of John and then Romans but that's just me. The point is, all are inspired(God breathed) and all are profitable.
I just finished a close look at Genesis. I have not studied it for about five years and all I can say is WOW. :)

Jed said:
2 Tim 3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
You ask what books should be read, I say all. All 66 books of the bible that is. I would start with the Gospel of John and then Romans but that's just me. The point is, all are inspired(God breathed) and all are profitable.
I just finished a close look at Genesis. I have not studied it for about five years and all I can say is WOW. :)

What about the other books that aren't included in your version, like the other books in the Catholic Bible? Who's to say what is inspired or not since Timothy didn't exactly come bound to all of the other books in your version of the Bible?

What about the other books that aren't included in your version, like the other books in the Catholic Bible? Who's to say what is inspired or not since Timothy didn't exactly come bound to all of the other books in your version of the Bible?[/quote]

Exactly..... I mean have you read in the bible read 66 books? or 73? and it said all scripture! Again my question is: Where can I read the List of Scriptures to be read?

There is the Gospel of Magdalene or Gospel of Philip. Are those also inspired? Give me verse by verse answer... Where? Give me a Face value answer...

See if this helps?
And using the Bible alone as it own hermeneutics.

2 Timothy 3:16 says that:
"All scripture is given buy the inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

This verse is from the New Testament. So it takes All the verses on a given study topic from cover to cover to understand the Godhead, and Their doctrine. ALL 66 Books, Both Old & New Testament. It tells us that it is kind of like going through all of the Word gathering all the verses on only one subject, verse by verse, and laying them aside like a puzzle not yet put together? and then put these pieces together to 'get the whole doctrinal picture'. And here we see in Timothy the Word REPROVE & FOR CORRECTION. (compare Isaiah 28:9-10 We could take not of what their trouble was, in verses 7-8 ibide.)

OK: Can I accept this condition of being corrected by the Word of God [only]? Yes, I (we) can do this through Christ! Philippians 4:13 & 2 Cor. 9. So? this is surely what God is looking for! It is for me (us) to Mature from Rom. 8:1 to 2:Tim. 3:17's Perfection! Notice Rom. 8:1 again! No Condemnation, yet still 'Led' in verse 14 ibid. 'IF' we so choose! OK? Got that??

In Matthew 4:4 we see another New Testament 'Jewel'. Christ say's Himself.. " .. It is written, (see O.T. verse from Deuteronomy 8:3) Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Again we see that it is the whole of the Book that came from God's inspiration. This is the spiritual diet that is required for me to get off of the milk of Hebrews 5:11-14 And again, is it a free choice or not?? And, how many do this? Do 'i' do this?? And what is the MOTIVE either way???

One last request that the Godhead asks. In Jeremiah 17:5 we see that THE BOOK, and the book alone is to be our final guide to all Truth. God says.. "Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusted in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord." Heart departeth from the Lord?

Just think of all the many denominations, with all of their 'educated' arm of flesh ones, and with hardly any two of them agreeing in anything much. Most even go back to some passed away early Christian saint to find what they taught as Truth, and still use this 'old' false, yet perhaps believed stuff as today's Truth. (reams & reams of commentaries) And nothing has changed. So we see in our day the ones of Revelation 17:5..

"And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND THE ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH." (the compilers caps)

See Hosea 4:6 "MY people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will reject thee, ..''

So if one is sincere? This surely will include me, huh? Again, let's just keep this with the sincere ones who believe the whole Word of God, (if there are such ones here) including these verses.

---Elijah

Uh, . . . . . when that verse was written, . . . .there WERE no "66 books". A committee of men decided them. :shrug

Orion said:
Uh, . . . . . when that verse was written, . . . .there WERE no "66 books". A committee of men decided them. :shrug

Yes, but the same God who inspired the 66 books did exist. If this is true, and the vast majority of His followers throughout Christian history would believe those to be the inspired Word of God, wouldn't He ordain the books and inspire the Church to canonize them?

I believe that it is a huge leap of faith to believe that, to be honest. But I realize that it is a main doctrine of the christian faith, so I won't be convincing anyone.

amg0364730 said:
As I read my Bible... and meditating in the scripture I stumble on 2 Timothy 3:16, and the epistle say that All scripture is inspired....but as I examine my NIV and KJV, or NRSV, or CCB. I never find the lists of books to be read....

I asked my best friend who is a youth pastor in cornerstone and he just not entertain my question...

Tell me more on this.....
by ------- on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 pm

ORA ET LABORA

OK: Elijah here: I think that I will just save this for other sites (if I do not hear from you otherwise?) seeing that the questions is a good one!
First off lets not just start with this 2 Tim. 3:16 verse, but include the verse of verses of Matt. 4:4 & then give documentation of what the Godhead has ETERNALLY Gospilised & COVENANTED! (Rev. 14:6 + Heb. 13:20)

2 Tim. 3
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. + Matt. 4:4..
[4] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

OK: You go find where verse 4 is, it is there in what mankind calls the Old Testament. But that Truth MUST be ETERNAL, not just printed out, huh? God/Christ's/Word NEVER Changes! (Heb. 13:8) And it is not Truth to say that it does! (including the last couple of verses of WARNING in the Bible) First remember what God is DOCUMENTED as doing in Rom. 4:17's last part of the verse.. '... And CALLETH THOSE THINGS [WHICH BE NOT] AS [THOUGH THEY WERE].' This is ETERNAL GOSPEL! (Rev. 14:6) And the POINT IS, is that the Word of God IS AS ETERNAL AS THEY ARE! And to question it not being printed yet, is just satan's Jer. 17:5's 'doubting' garbage requirement! So the Bible will be its [OWN] hermeneutics!

We find Ecc. 1:9-10 + Eccl. 3:15 ETERNAL TRUTH. [[Nothing New!]] (as far as Salvational Truth is concerned! no more world flood + Nah. 1:9) And we have proof from Adam on to Mt. Sinai that God spoke directly to [His Own]. Adam, Cain even in Gen. 4:7, the Striving of the Holy Ghost for 120 years with Noah's words being 'preached' before the Ark Door of Probation CLOSED Eternally on these ones. But take note here, that Abram was a Gentile SOUL Winner in Gen. 12 long, long before any hybrid Jew was seen! (Gen. 12:1-5) And note WHY the GODHEAD called Abram in Gen, 26..
[4] And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; (and do not miss this INSPIRED FACT WHY GOD CALLED ABRAM!)
[5] Because that Abraham obeyed [my voice,] and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. And the Gentile souls that were won in Haran?? See Rev. 14:6's Eternal Gospel that Abe was Preaching as well as Noah to the pre/flood ones. Surely one knows that this takes time to have God convert man?? (Matt. 28:20) Just take a peek at these Rev. 17:1-5 ones today and they still are lost!
And Abram long before this promise was given even supported Gods Work through tithes & offerings seen given to Melchadisedec. Heb. 5:10 + Gen. 14:18) Some do not even realize that the 'whole earth' only had [one] tongue or language up until the Tower of Babel as seen in Lev. 11:1. (and tongues are another subject, huh?) But when God did give them the written Eternal Ten Commandment Covenant, what does one suppose He PENNED 'REMEMBER' in front of [THEIR] 7th Day Sabbath Commandment for! (This will be the Final Testing to us also! Exod. 16:4 + verse 28 & ibid 35)

So for your original question, the WORD OF GOD has [NO] starting point! It is as Immortal or ETERNAL as They
ARE! When Adam & Eve were created, can you even imagine Their creator not WARNING THEM TO STAY AWAY FROM THE FORBIDDEN TREE WHERE satan was??? Would that be LOVE???? And again the Eccl. 1:9-10 + Eccl. 3:15 verse! Do you BELIEVE GODS WORD???

[15] That which [hath been is now;] and [that which is to be] hath [already been; and God requireth that which is past.]

OK: We have been WARNED OVER & OVER AGAIN BY GOD & HIS by His CHOSEN ones! From verbal WARNING to HOLY SPIRIT STRIVINGS! See Matt. 7,s Broadway, see Rev. 17:1-5's Abomination of the earth ones! see the Closed door of PROBATION of Matt. 25:10 + Matt. 23:38 DESOLATE HOUSE of Christ 'very own Virgin Fold! + Rev. 2:5's whole FOLD WARNING AGAIN!! Rev. 3:9! OK, OK, OK! But do you [BELIEVE GOD] when THEY SAY that which [IS TO BE HAS ALREADY BEEN]???
SO: if one is Rom. 8:1 JUSTIFIED + Rom. 8:1 (still??) + Rom. 8:14 [LED] of the HOLY SPIRIT, they KNOW THAT THE WORD OF GOD [[HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN FORCE.]] And used as They have here [DOCUMENTED]!

Just toss out all of the Arm of Flesh [false knowledge], in fact, most of it is a bad waste of time to start with, for where do you think that the Rev. 17:1-5 + Matt. 7 Broadway ones came from in the first place??! And more importantly, for long. long past Gen. 6:3's STRIVING OF THE HOLY GHOST, these ones [DOCUMENT] the Truth of Eccl. 3:15 with [NO CHANGE!]!

One last [Documentation] from Rom. 2 for how Gods Word [WORKS] even without the written pen of His men!..
[12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

OK:
[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, [do by nature the things contained in the law,] these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
[15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) Compare Heb. 10:15-16 & 2 Cor. 3:3!!

--Elijah

My advice would to read all the books contained within the standard Bible, and if you wish to explore other writings outside of those listed in the Bible, pray for spiritual discernment to show you the truth contained in those writings.

For the record there is nothing wrong with reading the Apocrypha (additional Catholic books) but LaCrum is correct that you cannot go wrong with reading the 66 books that both Protestants and Catholics hold in common. If you have read all 66 books and then want to move on to understand the Apocrypha (which you can't do BTW without reading the 39 books of the OT which precede it in time) you will be well equipped to understand it and judge whether it is inspired or not. For the record however books like Tobit contains many superstitious references of a magical nature for healing, etc. such as "Then the angel said to him: Take out the entrails of this fish, and lay up his heart, and his gall, and his liver for thee: for these are necessary for useful medicines..... If thou put a little piece of its heart upon coals, the smoke thereof driveth away all kind of devils, either from man or from woman, so that they come no more to them" (Tobit 6:5, 7).

Also the book of Ecclesiasticus (or Ben Sira) in chapter 42 says something blatantly incorrect and Scripture-contradicting, "For better is the iniquity of a man, than a woman doing good, and a woman bringing shame and reproach" (Ecclesiasticus 42:12), which brings to mind the here-appropriate Biblical rebuke from Isaiah, "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20).

The Apocrypha is valuable for the historical books of the Maccabees but beware of errant doctrine. That is why it is not included among the Protestant canonical Bible of the 66 books or considered inspired.

God Bless,

~Josh

amg0364730 said:

Take the words 'All scripture'... it does not say 'All scripture on A LIST'...it just says 'All Scripture is inspired'... Scripture does not define a specific 'list' other than 'ALL'. Continue where you are reading, and you have a good start!

Peace and Blessings in Christ...Ret

2 Timothy 3: 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I would not get caught up in what books some scribes decided to include or not. Some of the books were eliminated so that the Book was easier to handle and you didn't need an ox and cart to take it to Assembly with you. If the book of Sirach (wisdom) helps you, it's your decision to read it or not. The bible we now have in print is sufficient. If you enjoy the Catholic bible, read it. Don't get hung up on it. ALL scripture means the entire bible is profitable for you. It's telling you to read from Genesis to Revelation.

Matthew 5: 17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Where did the Bible say 66 books? where did you get it?

I think this is a matter of faith. We believe in the God who created the entire universe and everything in it. There are things about Him that our minds simply cannot fathom. We truly serve an amazing God. Don't you think he can handle which books he wants in the Bible?

iCrash.org said:
Where did the Bible say 66 books? where did you get it?

I think this is a matter of faith. We believe in the God who created the entire universe and everything in it. There are things about Him that our minds simply cannot fathom. We truly serve an amazing God. Don't you think he can handle which books he wants in the Bible?

Exactly. :thumb

Does not II Timothy 3:16 tells us, that "all scripture" is given by inspiration of God, and is "profitable" for doctorine, reproof, and correction, which is instruction in righteousness = right believing ?

I am reminding ourselves "where" scripture comes from = God

I am reminding ourselves "what" it is good for - doctorine, reproof, correction, which is instruction in righteousness.

What it is not good for, is "private interpretation", which is why we have so many differing beliefs and belief systems.

Also notice in verse 17 where it says, "That the man of God may be perfect throughly furnished unto all good works"

Yet , as one poster pointed out in Jeremiah 17:5 for us not to trust in man, whoes heart departs from the Lord. In otherwords we are to trust in the Lord himself.

Those who have the comforter, which is also the Spirit of truth in them, do not need a teacher - I John 2:27

But God does give us teachers, and Apostles, and Prophets, and Pastors. These men are suppose to be "men of God", not just men, who think they are of God , or are suppose to think they are when they are not !

Many of us wander in our thinking from time to time. We shouldn't but in our spiritual growth from a babe in the word , only drinking the milk of the Word, many will waver. Even the Apostle Paul told those in Corinth. that he could not talk to them spiritually because they could not bear it, for the reason that they were babes only drinking the milk of the Word. And one who only drinks the milk of the Word are unskilled in the scriptures. < These babes most definantly need a teacher. A pastor is suppose to pastor the flock and feed them with the truth.

But there are many who have gone out into the world to deceive, and many have , and many have been deceived. They are deceived because they did not put their trust in the Lord, but in man. This is their downfall. Many men teach the Word, and many teach false teachings, because they are of the world. Babes are the most vunerable, and even some who eat the meat of the Word can become vunerable to these men who teach falsely. We usually call them heresies or heretical.

The Word of God is good, in fact it is great. But many can not read it with understanding. Which is where a man of God comes in. But beware, let God reveal unto you if this man is teaching you truth or just telling you something that just gives your ear an itching sensation.

Love IN Christ - MM

Historically though, what Holy Writ existed when Apostle Paul said that to Timothy? The Old Testament mainly, and possibly some of the Gospel accounts. Paul would be chosen to write most of the New Testament Books.

But what makes the New Testament writings inspired also? Their WITNESS of showing Old Testament Scripture fulfilled, and being fulfilled.

Back