Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The 1599 Geneva Bible

JM

Can't wait for this one to hit the market.

When the Pilgrims arrived in the New World in 1620, they brought along supplies, a consuming passion to advance the Kingdom of Christ, and the Word of God. Clearly, their most precious cargo was the Bibleâ€â€specifically, the 1599 Geneva Bible. All but forgotten in our day, this version of the Bible was the most widely read and influential English Bible of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. A superb translation, it was the product of the best Protestant scholars of the day and became the Bible of choice for many of the greatest writers and thinkers of that time. Men such as William Shakespeare, John Bunyan, and John Milton used the Geneva Bible in their writings. William Bradford also cited the Geneva Bible in his famous book Of Plymouth Plantation.

The Geneva Bible is unique among all other Bibles. It was the first Bible to use chapters and numbered verses and became the most popular version of its time because of the extensive marginal notes. These notes, written by Reformation leaders such as John Calvin, John Knox, Miles Coverdale, William Whittingham, Anthony Gilby, and others, were included to explain and interpret the scriptures for the common people.

Tolle Lege Press is pleased to announce the upcoming release of a beautiful new edition of the historic 1599 Geneva Bible in mid-September 2006. Check out the links on the right to learn how you can own and experience the Bible that the Pilgrims brought to America on the Mayflower!

“The publication and promulgation of the 1599 Geneva Bible will help restore America’s rich Christian heritage and reclaim the culture for Christ.â€Â

- Dr. D. James Kennedy, Senior Pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church

The 1599 Geneva Bible Restoration Project has attracted to its advisory board well respected Christian leaders such as:

* Gary DeMar, president of American Vision and publisher of Biblical Worldview Magazine;
* William J. Federer, president of AmeriSearch, Inc;
* Dr. Marshall Foster, Founder & President of the Mayflower Institute
* Dr. George Grant, Director of the King’s Meadow Study Center, Teaching Pastor at Christ Community Church (PCA)
* Dr. Paul Jehle, Senior Pastor, The New Testament Church in Plymouth, MA
* Dr. Douglas Kelly, the Jordan Professor of Systematic Theology at Reformed Theology Seminary, in Charlotte, NC;
* Dr. Peter Lillback, president of Westminster Theological Seminary;
* Doug Phillips, Esq. , founder and president of The Vision Forum;
* Dr. Joseph Pipa, Jr., pastor and president of Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary in South Carolina;
* Dr. Phil Rollinson, Professor Emeritus of Renaissance English at the University if South Carolina;
* Rev. Mark R. Rushdoony, president of Chalcedon and Ross House Books, editor-in-chief of Faith for All of Life (formerly Chalcedon Report)
* Dr. Benjamin Shaw, Academic Dean, Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary

http://www.tollelegepress.com/gb/geneva.php

Interesting web site which has the Geneva bible available in pdf format :

Geneva Bible (1560/1599)

With

Original Geneva Footnotes of both the 1560 and 1599 versions

and all with Corrected Spelling

Not to be confused with "The 1599 Geneva Study Bible" on http://www.Crosswalk.com which is not even a Geneva translation. All Geneva Bibles at Genesis 3:7 should read ...and made themselves breeches. Not aprons as the Crosswalk Geneva version and KJV have.

click this link:
http://www.genevabible.org/Geneva.html

Very interesting :wink:

I have a modern copy of the 1602 edition of the Geneva Bible New Testament.

Very interesting reading. Something that really stands out is the lack of the letter J for they had not started using it in English writing yet. Same was for the original 1611 King James. ;-)

Skipdawg said:

Very interesting reading. Something that really stands out is the lack of the letter J for they had not started using it in English writing yet. Same was for the original 1611 King James. ;-)

Dawg...I'm interested in something you may shed some light on...

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; KJV

Does your version state "the departure" instead of apostacy? I've read that all of the versions pre KJV 1611 indicate departure "as in Rapture".

I believe that the Wycliffe version indicates departure in relation to verse 1.

Georges said:
Skipdawg said:

Dawg...I'm interested in something you may shed some light on...

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; KJV

Does your version state "the departure" instead of apostacy? I've read that all of the versions pre KJV 1611 indicate departure "as in Rapture".

lol, it's not my version...I use the KJV.

I believe that the Wycliffe version indicates departure in relation to verse 1.

2 Thessalonycensis 2:3 No man disseyue you in ony manere. For but dissencioun come first, and the man of synne be schewid, the sonne of perdicioun, Wycliffe Bible

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceiue you by any meanes: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that that man of sinne be disclosed, euen the sonne of perdition, Geneva Bible

Back