Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Ark of The Covenant

herald

Jerusalem housed the temple, which, housed The Ark, which, housed God's Covenant with man. The Ark contained the sign and the seal of God's presence upon the earth - the place where God's presence and glory dwelt. The Ark was carried for decades through the wilderness, to search out a resting place. Num 10:33-35. It was overlaid with pure gold, and was called, "holy." 2 Chron 35:3. It was, also, called, The Ark of The Testimony. Rev 19:10 tells us, that "...the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

The Lord spoke and communed with Moses from the Mercy Seat, atop the Ark of the Covenant. Ex 25:22; Num 7:89; 8:1.

As God had instructed, Joshua told the priests to stand in the middle of the Jordan river with The Ark, and the water parted. Josh 3:8; 4:7. After, The Ark was removed, the waters receded. Josh 4:18.

At Jericho, seven priests bearing The Ark with seven trumpets, on the seventh day encompassed Jericho seven times. Jericho fell. Joshua cried out to the Lord before The Ark and God spoke to Joshua from The Ark. Josh 7:6,10.

The children of Israel wept, fasted and offered burnt and peace offerings before the Ark. Jud 20:26,27.

God spoke to Samuel from The Ark. 1 Sam 3:3,4.

When Eli heard that The Ark was taken, he fell backward and died. 1 Sam 4:18.

Phineas's wife named her child, "Ichabod," saying, "The glory is departed from Israel; for The Ark of God is taken." 1 Sam 4:19-22.

The Philistines put The Ark in the house of their god, Dagon. Dagon fell before the Ark, his head and palms broken off. 1 Sam 5:1-5.

Uzzah touched The Ark and was struck dead. 2 Sam 6:6,7.

God blessed the household of Obed Edom, while, The Ark was there. 2 Sam 6:11.

When The Ark was brought to Jerusalem, David danced before the Lord, with all his might. 2 Sam 6:12-15.

Solomon offered burnt and peace offerings before The Ark. 1 Ki 3:15.

The chief function of the temple was to house The Ark of the Covenant. When The Ark was placed in The Most Holy Place, nothing was in it, but, the Ten Commandments. 1 Ki 8:9; 2 Chron 4:10. And the glory of the Lord filled the house. 1 Ki 8:11. David called the temple, a house of rest for The Ark. 1 Chron 6:31; 28:2.

When The Ark was brought up from Kirjath Jearim, David and all of Israel "...played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals and with trumpets." 1 Chron 13:5-8; 15:28.

The Ten Commandments are God's eternal Covenant with man. Deut 4:13; 2 Chron 6:11; Ps 111:7,8. The Lord wrote this Covenant with His own finger in tablets of stone, which, were placed inside The Ark of the Covenant. The people had said, that, they would keep God's law in their own strength, but failed. Ex 24:7. The New Covenant is God engraving this same Covenant in our hearts and minds. Jer 31:31-34; Heb 8:10. He gives us a new heart and His Spirit and "CAUSES US" to walk in His law. Ezek 36:26,27. It is the same Covenant in a different place. Now, if we are born-again believers, His Covenant is within us. He enables us by His Spirit of Grace (Heb 10:29) to walk with Him in loving obedience to His Covenant.

The Ten Commandments = One Covenant. James 2:10,11 tells us, that, if we break one of the commandments, we become transgressors of His law and are guilty of breaking all of them.

The fourth commandment is the mark of God's authority as Creator and Redeemer. Deut 5:15. Our Creator - Jesus (John 1:3) calls the seventh day, "My holy day." Isa 58:13.

Christians were, still, keeping the Sabbath in 321 A.D., when Constantine instituted the first Sunday law, and in 364 A.D., when the Sabbath was "changed" to Sunday. The penalty for worshipping on the Sabbath was death! As a consequence, many Sabbath-keepers were martyred. One of the marks of The Antichrist is "...he thinks to change times and laws." Dan 7:25. He, only, "thinks to change," because, no man/institution can over-rule our Creator and change His law.

"Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God...For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Ex 20:8-11. Our Creator sanctified and blessed the seventh day, because, it was the day in which He rested from His work of Creation.

In Revelation 14:6,7 we read, "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell upon the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue and people. Saying with a loud voice, Fear God and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water."

The everlasting gospel is revealed in the fourth commandment, in which we see the three components of a seal:

1. His NAME: Lord God. Isa 42:8.
2. His AUTHORITY: Creator of all. Isa 40:25,26; Jer 10:10-12; Rev 4:11
3. His DOMAIN: Heaven and earth. Gen 2:1-4; Ex 20:8-11.

The fourth commandment is God's SEAL upon His Covenant. The everlasting gospel is calling us back to the one commandment, that, He told us to "remember." He is calling us to sanctify Him as Creator and Redeemer - Jesus, the "Lord of the Sabbath." Mk 2:28.

The Ark is symbolic of Jesus Christ. It is of wood, speaking of His humanity, overlaid with gold, speaking of His deity, and contains His law within. It, also, is symbolic of the New Covenant believer, who has His Covenant written within. When we walk with Him in loving obedience, it is an expression of a converted heart, and evidence of a Spirit-filled life.

"Know ye not that YE are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

Does His Covenant find in you a resting place?

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail." Rev 11:19.

The Apostle John wrote, "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

I tried to start a topic on this subject back in Autumn and I had little response.

Here's the link:

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... ht=#300886

I find the ark interesting. Besides the scripture verses and references, I like to dive into the mathematical and other esoterica involving the ark.

We can continue in this thread, or join the other one involving this fascinating topic.

Another thing to investigate is the ark's location. Besides the heavenly reference in Revelation (which might be future yet), there are 6 main theories I know of. The most unheard of theory comes to us by Judah's Scepter/Joseph's Birthright by J. H. Allen where he quoted a source as saying:

About 585 B. C. a "notable man," an "important personage," a patriarch, a saint, an essentially import­ant someone, according to their various ways of put­ting it, came to Ulster, the most northern province of Ireland, accompanied by a princess, the daughter of an eastern king, and that in company with them was one Simon Brach, Breck, Brack, Barech, Berach, as it is differently spelled; and that this royal party brought with them many remarkable things. Among these was the harp, an ark and the wonderful stone called Lia­fail, or stone of destiny

This was supposedly Jeremiah with his scribe Baruch and the King's daughters being taken to marry a King from the Zarah-Judah lineage to perpetuate the Davidic dynasty (in the location where some of the lost house of Israel resided i.e. , go to the "lost sheep" of the house of Israel)

The rock Liafail, as the story goes, is that same coronation stone, aka "Jacob's Pillar" At least we have that today yet. Paul quoted in Corinthians about the Israelites carrying that stone around with them that gave them water in the wilderness.

This is a vast, vast subject found all over the bible and is fascinating.

I am of the opinion that the ark is still under the temple mount....I believe the Muslims know it is there, but there is nothing they can do about it....Over the years, I have heard many stories about the ark and many say and in fact the
Jewish San Hedrin (yes it is back) claim that it is their under the temple mount....

jgredline said:
I am of the opinion that the ark is still under the temple mount....I believe the Muslims know it is there, but there is nothing they can do about it....Over the years, I have heard many stories about the ark and many say and in fact the
Jewish San Hedrin (yes it is back) claim that it is their under the temple mount....

Do you suppose that the Muslims would have the same problems that the Phillistines had when it was in their possession?

1Sa 5:3 And when they of Ashdod arose early on the morrow, behold, Dagon [was] fallen upon his face to the earth before the ark of the LORD. And they took Dagon, and set him in his place again.
1Sa 5:4 And when they arose early on the morrow morning, behold, Dagon [was] fallen upon his face to the ground before the ark of the LORD; and the head of Dagon and both the palms of his hands [were] cut off upon the threshold; only [the stump of] Dagon was left to him.

1Sa 5:8 They sent therefore and gathered all the lords of the Philistines unto them, and said, What shall we do with the ark of the God of Israel? And they answered, Let the ark of the God of Israel be carried about unto Gath. And they carried the ark of the God of Israel about [thither].
1Sa 5:9 And it was [so], that, after they had carried it about, the hand of the LORD was against the city with a very great destruction: and he smote the men of the city, both small and great, and they had emerods in their secret parts. :o
1Sa 5:12 And the men that died not were smitten with the emerods: and the cry of the city went up to heaven.

jgredline said:

Yes, that is one of the six main theories I know of. The other "local" theory I call it was that it is under a grotto where Christ was crucified so that his blood poured down thru a crack in the earth onto the mercy seat. This theory was proposed by a (not widely known) archaeologist (now deceased) by the name of Ron Wyatt. Here's his site.

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/

Little Angel...That is exactly what I believe...I am quite sure that they have it cemented in so that no one goes near it for if they touch it they will die...It is also in the ''best interest'' of the muslims to pretend it does not exist...

Those muslims are already having enough problems trying to explain all the artifacts that have been uncovered at the local dump from there underground digging....

Tim...I am familiar with Ron Wyatt and while many labeled him as a quack, I do believe he got many things right....I don't agree with his view of the Ark, but then again who knows....Many believe it is in ethiopia, but I don't believe that one either...I guess, I am really convinced it is under the temple mount.....

Tim and Little Angel and others....How is this for a monkey wrench....
Many folks and especially those who are very knowledgeable in end times ( Vic where are you? ) view this verse as a pre milinial verse and state that there is No more ark....
Jer 3:16 “Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,†says the Lord, “that they will say no more, ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord.’ It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore.

To me if the ARK is not under the temple mount, it no longer exist
What do u folks thing and what do u make of this verse.....

:robot: its looking at me again.....

:robot: its looking at me again.....

Well, I subscribe to the theory that theres more than one ark. This makes sense due to it's value and is backed up by tradition. Whether, one is buried in Jerusalem somewhere, seems very plausible to me. Or whether the Jews make another one or use the one from Ethopia, when and if sacrifices begin again, is just a matter of time and conjecture. The Bible and the Apochrypha give us clues. Jeremiah is said to either have buried it or God took it, back to heaven or very possibly theres another one buried under Tarah "Torah' hill in Hibernia "Hebrewnia" aka Ireland.

Well they mentioned 6 different ones already Gabbie.

As the story goes according to the Ethopian version, Solomon made more than one ark knowing its value and that someday people may wanna steal it and so forth.

But if you prefer for me to make things up. I suppose I could. Remember True life is stranger than fiction!

Flying Saucers have landed in of all places Nuke Jesrey.
STOP
Sentient beings Panic in the streets when Aliens hear General Gabie is leading the charge with the Ark of the Covenant in tow.
STOP
Mass communication failures have been experienced by the citizens of Relnac.
STOP
Our Glorious Leader The Sta-Puff Marshmellon Man has issued these orders
.... buzzz tik tick tick (dead silence) ahhhhh!
No stop Doppleganger don't go ...............
(Darn One-Headed Freaks I'll Get Them)

:bday:

Yes, there are theories that there is more than one ark. Some Jewish people believe this and to my knowledge if I understood correctly, one was a plain wooden box and the other the golden one. Actually, I just heard of this theory about a year ago myself (I say that to my shame considering the amount of Bible study I do).

When considering the location theories, they all seem to take the assumption that there was only one ark, but I first heard the double ark theory from a Jewish person that has the http://www.britam.org/ website about the lost tribes of Israel. He's an Orthodox Jew.

tim_from_pa said:
Yes, there are theories that there is more than one ark. Some Jewish people believe this and to my knowledge if I understood correctly, one was a plain wooden box and the other the golden one. Actually, I just heard of this theory about a year ago myself (I say that to my shame considering the amount of Bible study I do).

When considering the location theories, they all seem to take the assumption that there was only one ark, but I first heard the double ark theory from a Jewish person that has the http://www.britam.org/ website about the lost tribes of Israel. He's an Orthodox Jew.

God told Moses to make one that contained the tablets, etc. That is the one that I am talking about.

No doubt there are countless artist renderings. (Or counterfeit, if we want to look at it that way). When I was doing the google search, I was looking at artist renderings. Study aids. Sorry if I caused the confusion.

I believe that the one in the O.T. and the one that Rev. speaks of are one in the same.

I too am speaking of the original one as well...I have not done any Google searches on this and it has been years since I studied this, but what do u folks make of the Jer verse I posted?

The other stuff that is supposed to happen 'at that time' has not lined up yet.

Jer 3:17 At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.
Jer 3:18 In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.

Gabbylittleangel said:
God told Moses to make one that contained the tablets, etc. That is the one that I am talking about.

No doubt there are countless artist renderings. (Or counterfeit, if we want to look at it that way). When I was doing the google search, I was looking at artist renderings. Study aids. Sorry if I caused the confusion.

I believe that the one in the O.T. and the one that Rev. speaks of are one in the same.

Yes, that is the one I mean as well. The ark was made of acacia wood overlaid inside and outside with gold. It contained the tablets, the pot of manna, and Aaron's budding rod. Like I said, there are 6 main theories I know of as to where it is at, all speak of the same ark (so they can't all be right).

I tend to like Doppelganger's mention of Tara Hill. This is the same as I quoted earlier from J. H. Allen. It would make more sense to me that since the other promises went to the house of Israel, that this would accompany them as well. The other theories have it residing near or at where Jews are at or other people (None are from the house of Israel).

Doppelganger:

Question. Are you aware of any scripture that hints that the ark would go with the children of Israel? I know of scripture regarding the stone "Jacob's Pillar". But the quote I had from Allen's book is from a (historical) legend. J. H. Allen does not seem to address the scriptural end of it, and indeed, any mention of the ark after the time of the Babylonian captivity seems to be shrouded in mystery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant

The Mishnayot (a missing) introduction to the Talmud included ancient records according to Rabbi Hertz the "missing" Mishnaic text in the Mishnayot, called the Massakhet Keilim is written in twelve chapters.
Each chapter of the Mishnayot describes vessels which were hidden under the direction of Jeremiah the Prophet by five holy men (Shimor HaLevi, Chizkiah, Tzidkiyahu, Haggai the Prophet and Zechariah the Prophet),
seven years prior to the destruction of Solomon's First Temple, because the dangers of Babylonian conquest were imminent. The Mishnayot describing this hiding was then written in Babylon during the Babylonian Captivity.

The first chapter of the Mishnayot describes the vessels that were hidden - including the Ark of the Covenant and the Tabernacle of the Lord, i.e. the Mishkan, the Tablets of Moses, the altar (with cherubim) for the daily and seasonal sacrifices (the ushebtis), the Menorah (candelabra), the Qalal(copper urn) containing the Ashes of the Red Heifer (ashes from a red cow sacrificed under Moses, necessary for ritual purification of the priests), and numerous vessels of the Kohanim (priests).

The second chapter of the Mishnayot states that a list of these treasures was inscribed upon a copper tablet. This Copper Scroll was found at Qumran. The first of the Dead Sea Scrolls was discovered in 1947, and the famed Copper Scroll - made of pure copper - was found at Qumran in 1952. The Copper Scroll is an inventory - written in Hebrew - of treasures, thought by some to be from Solomon's First Temple, hidden before the destruction of that temple by the Babylonians and treasures which have not been seen since.

The Copper Scroll states that a silver [or alabaster?] chest, the vestments of the Cohen Gadol (Hebrew High Priest), gold and silver in great quantities, the Tabernacle of the Lord (perhaps the Mishkan) and many treasures were hidden in a desolate valley - under a hill - on its east side, forty stones deep. The Mishkan was a "portable" Temple for the Ark of the Covenant. The writings in the Copper Scroll were confirmed 40 years later in the 1990s through an ancient text found in the introduction to Emeq HaMelekh ("Valley of the King(s)") -- a book published in 1648 in Amsterdam, Holland, by Rabbi Naftali Hertz Ben Ya’acov Elchanon (Rabbi Hertz).

---------

The Ark is mentioned in Maccabees 2:4-10, which contains a reference to a document saying that the prophet Jeremiah, "being warned of God," took the Ark, and the tabernacle, and the altar of incense, and buried them in a cave on Mount Nebo, the resting place of Moses.

2nd Maccabees 2:4-7
It was also contained in the same writing, that the prophet, being warned of God,commanded the tabernacle and the ark to go with him, as he went forth into the mountain, where Moses climbed up, and saw the heritage of God. And when Jeremy came thither, he found an hollow cave, wherein he laid the tabernacle, and the ark, and the altar of incense, and so stopped the door. And some of those that followed him came to mark the way, but they could not find it. Which when Jeremy perceived, he blamed them, saying, As for that place, it shall be unknown until the time that God gather his people again together, and receive them unto mercy.

-----------

I think I read about, the Ark in Ireland, through either E. Raymond Capt's Books or gleaning through various ancient histories, I cant remember. I think it was said (just off the top of my head) that it was brought there by Jeremiah (Olamfalah), That it contained the Lia Fial (Jacob's Pillar), A golden Harp that was suppose to be David's, and one other item, but I can't remember. The Stone was removed, and the Ark buried "until the time the Lord should return". Which meant do not open till Christ returns basically, and were nolonger in the flesh.

This site here also has ark info.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... m/ark.html

I decided to copy some of the things I posted in the last thread and bring it over here.
Gabbylittleangel said:
I have much more to learn on the subject than to teach. Some of the stuff I have in my notes~~~

2 Sam 6:1-11 In moving the ark of God, They put it on a new cart. Uzzah touches the ark and dies.

2Sa 6:6-7 And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth [his hand] to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook [it]. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for [his] error; and there he died by the ark of God.
Reason being~~
Numbers 4:20 God gives clear instructions about how to handle the ark. “Don’t touch it or you will dieâ€Â

The Philistines carried the ark on a cart. Israel followed their instructions - then followed the example of the Philistines, not God’s law.
David knew better.
How many times do you follow the examples of the Philistines rather than what we know to be God’s law? David was both mad, and afraid of God. There is a lot to learn about obedience in the study of how to move the ark.

My opinions:
I believe that the artistic representations of the ark that we have today are a bit different than what the ark actually looked like. I believe that the mercy seat was formed by the wings of the two cherubim. Much in the same way that two adults might grip hands and have a toddler sit on one set of gripped hands and lean back on the other ~ I believe that is how the wings of the cherubim appeared.I believe that the ark opened in the same manner that a modern day match box opens.

The fact that the ark disappears from Scripture...

2Ch 35:3 And said unto the Levites that taught all Israel, which were holy unto the LORD, Put the holy ark in the house which Solomon the son of David king of Israel did build; [it shall] not [be] a burden upon [your] shoulders: serve now the LORD your God, and his people Israel,

then reappears in heaven in Revelation,

Rev 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

I tend to believe that this is where the ark is located today.

When did the ark move from earth to heaven?
In my opinion~ When Jesus died on the cross.

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

The teaching that I have gleaned on the subject does not even scratch the surface. Perhaps it will inspire a bit of conversation among the believers. Jer 3:16 should be a result of vs. 15~~
Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

cybershark5886 said:
Perhaps it was just idle talk, but I once heard that Aaron's staff was longer than the length dimention of the ark. Some people suggested that perhaps it was inserted diagonally, others have suggested more miraculous measures such as shrinking the length of the rod (hey if a rod can turn into a snake...), or even more amazing to entertain: that the dimentions inside the ark were infact beyond its exterior physical dimentions. In following with this last suggestion it additionally suggested that because of such extra-dimentional features that time did not flow inside the ark, thus why the manna did not decay into dust or rot.

Sounds quite bizzare, but perhaps Aaron just inserted the rod diagonal afterall, or perhaps the rod wasn't really as long that person purported. Any ideas/comments?

Gabbylittleangel said:
The fact that it bloomed, and yielded almonds might have made it just a bit larger.

Num 17:5 And it shall come to pass, [that] the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.
Num 17:6 And Moses spake unto the children of Israel, and every one of their princes gave him a rod apiece, for each prince one, according to their fathers' houses, [even] twelve rods: and the rod of Aaron [was] among their rods.
Num 17:7 And Moses laid up the rods before the LORD in the tabernacle of witness.
Num 17:8 And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.

I was trying to find where Moses put the rod into the ark. The only reference I could find was this:

Hbr 9:4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein [was] the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

Back