Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The biblical meaning of Hell

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

Mosesjoel

What is hell and how does it fit with bible scriptures...

Hell is actually not a noun, but a verb, an action word meaning to bury or preserve.
In the past to preserve meats and other goods for a few extra days, was to wrap it up in cloth and bury it in a hole, and that was referred to as helling.

Hell in the bible must therefore refer to as Hydes or Shoel a resting place of the dead. The burial grounds.

The actual Hell which has been falsly doctrined through Christianity's history is another place different from the Hell I know, called Gehenna.

Gehenna came from Jewish termininalogy, of desposing dead criminals and others in a burning fire at a place called Gehenna, through Jesus teachings, eternal punishment was for the wicked to be sent to Gehenna, a place the people at that time could relate too. Eternal punishment was meant to be seperated from God forever and burned to non-existance

Any views on this matter I would gladly explain in more detail

You're right. The subject of hell is not as straightforward as is typically stated. A review of the main passages dealing with the subject, including a look at the original language used where relevant, reveals this. First of all, the OT does not have a well-defined concept of hell. The principal Hebrew word used to describe the “underworld†is sheol, which basically refers to the “grave†or the abode of the dead (as Mosesjoel pointed out). The concept of burning is introduced in Isaiah 66:24, where the fate of dead bodies is described in terms of worms and an unquenchable fire, but there is nothing there that conclusively refers to hell. Then, in the NT, there are three main words that are translated “hell†in the KJV: 1) gehenna (from the Hebrew word meaning “Valley of Hinnomâ€Â), which refers to the Jerusalem garbage dump, which was on a site where child sacrifice used to take place; 2) hades, which is borrowed from Greek mythology to translate sheol, and generally means the abode of the dead; and 3) tartarus, which is not relevant to this discussion. In addition, terms such as “lake of fire†(Revelation), “outer darkness†(Matthew 25) and “everlasting destruction" (2 Thess. 1:9) are used.

In Matthew, Jesus uses gehenna at 5:22, 5:29, 10:28, 18:9, and 23:15,33. In none of these uses does Jesus clearly describe an eternal torment of humans in flame. In fact, 10:28 seems to describe annihilation, as the “destruction†(apollumi) of a body would seem to describe something that ceased to exist – so also for the soul. 18:9 mentions fire, but says nothing about eternal suffering. The verse before, 18:8, describes “everlasting†fire, but it is the fire that is “everlastingâ€Â, not the punishment. Gehenna is an everlasting memorial to God’s judgment, but not a place of everlasting punishment. Furthermore, the word translated “everlasting†is aionion, which is from aion, meaning age. While “everlasting†or “eternal†is a common translation of aionion, it can also be translated “to the age†or “age-long.†It does not have to mean what we commonly think of as “eternal.â€Â

In Mark, Jesus uses gehenna in 9:43, 45, and 47, all of which incorporate the Isaiah 66:24 imagery of worms and fire. The fire is described as never being quenched, but it does not say that souls are tortured in it forever. Luke’s use of gehenna is similar to Matthew and Mark’s, and I don’t think John uses it. "Hades" is used by Jesus in Matthew 11:23 and 16:18, and Luke 10:15 to describe the judgment of a city (Capernaum) and to describe Satan’s kingdom, but not as a place of eternal torment. In Luke 16:23, Jesus uses hades in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man is seen suffering in the torment of flames. However, this is a parable, so there may be symbolism involved. Furthermore, nothing in this parable says the condition is eternal. Revelation 20:14 seems to indicate that hades is a temporary place and will itself be destroyed. I do not believe that hades is used in the Gospel of John.

Jesus does describe judgment in other places, such as Matthew 12:32, where those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit are not forgiven in this age (aion) or the next. But under some eschatological schemes there are at least two more ages to come after this one – the messianic age, and eternity in a new heaven and new earth. So even the punishment for this sin could last only until the end of the messianic age. In Matthew 25:30 Jesus describes the servant as thrown into “outer darkness†and experiencing “weeping and gnashing of teeth.†But this does not say that it is eternal fire or torment. Matthew 25:46 describes the judgment of the “sheep†and the “goatsâ€Â, and “eternal punishment†(kolasin aionion) is described. But this could be describing a punishment only during the messianic age of Jesus’ reign on earth, not the eternal “new heavens and new earth.†In any event, aionion is used, so it could relate only to an “ageâ€Â, not eternity. Finally, Luke 19:27 seems to describe annihilation, not eternal flame.

Gehenna is not used in Acts. Hades is used in 2:27 and 31, but only to describe Jesus’ descent into the abode of the dead, not eternal torment. Paul apparently never uses gehenna or hades, at least not to describe eternal torment. He does mention everlasting destruction (olethron aionion) from the presence of the Lord in 2 Thessalonians 1:9. Again, this seems like a description of annihilation, not eternal torment, and in any event, aionion is used again, so it may be talking about an “age-long†condition.

Now, Revelation is where the most vivid descriptions of torment are found. Gehenna is not used and hades is described as being itself destroyed. The “lake of fire†(limnen tou puros) is the primary term used to describe final punishment. However, Revelation is a highly symbolic book. No one believes that the seven-headed five-horned beast of Revelation 13 is a LITERAL animal – it is clearly symbolic of something else. So why take “the lake of fire†as literal? The lake of fire is called the “second death†in 2:11 and 20:14, which carries the connotation of finality. But eternal suffering is not described in those passages. 20:10 describes torment, but only of Satan, the beast, and the false prophet. 14:9-11 is the most vivid description of human suffering, but only relates to those who receive the “mark of the beast.†Furthermore, the phrase translated “forever and ever†(v. 11 – ainonas aionion) could be translated “age-long to age-longâ€Â, which could literally mean “forever†as we use that word, but might also mean just several ages. In other words, even this punishment conceivably could have an end.

So, there are several metaphors for hell – worms, fire, outer darkness, everlasting destruction – which indicate that perhaps the idea of a literal burning hell is wrong, and a metaphorical interpretation would be better. Also, some passages seem to imply annihilation, while others seem to indicate a punishment with a limited time. God, being the sovereign judge that He is, may have a full range of punishment options. Of course, I may be totally wrong about everything. I wouldn’t want to be accused of watering down the message, but whether or not hell is actually what we've been indoctrinated to think it is, or whether or not it's eternal, makes no difference to me. Whatever hell is, even a few hundred years there would be too much for me! :o

JMM said:
In none of these uses does Jesus clearly describe an eternal torment ...... but says nothing about eternal suffering..... The verse before, 18:8, describes “everlasting†fire, but it is the fire that is “everlastingâ€Â, not the punishment. Gehenna is an everlasting memorial to God’s judgment, but not a place of everlasting punishment. ...... Furthermore, the word translated “everlasting†is aionion, which is from aion, meaning age. While “everlasting†or “eternal†is a common translation of aionion, it can also be translated “to the age†or “age-long.†It does not have to mean what we commonly think of as “eternal.â€Â

...... but it does not say that souls are tortured in it forever. ..... but not as a place of eternal torment. ..... nothing in this parable says the condition is eternal. ......But this does not say that it is eternal fire or torment. ...... not eternal torment. .....at least not to describe eternal torment. ...... not eternal torment,

Are you listening to yourself?

Death is eternal, is it not? That is, death without being reborn in the spirit. Unless you believe in reincarnation, you can't believe punishment in hell won't be eternal. If not, you would be transgressing on the verse that says "except a man be born of the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven"

Previous post says:

Death is eternal, is it not? That is, death without being reborn in the spirit. Unless you believe in reincarnation, you can't believe punishment in hell won't be eternal. If not, you would be transgressing on the verse that says "except a man be born of the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven"

Death is eternal, is it not?

Can you quote scripture and verse to back up this claim? Please do a word study on "aonian" and you'll see it does not mean eternal.

When one takes the King James and other versions and uses their literal english renditions as a basis for doctrine, one is building his house on sand.

mechanicdb said:

Yes I am, and I believe my voice is quite mellifluous! :biggrin

Death is eternal, is it not? That is, death without being reborn in the spirit. Unless you believe in reincarnation, you can't believe punishment in hell won't be eternal.

Are YOU listening to YOURself? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Death IS eternal.....but punishment in hell does not have to be. There is the possibility of a limited time of punishment in hell, followed by annihilation (which is eternal). I believe you may be confusing "death" with "punishment in hell".....these are not necessarily interchangeable terms, my friend.

wouldn't a transition from torment to non torment in death be considered some sort of reincarnation (edit: if not being reborn of the spirit)? Is there a happiness level and non happiness level in heaven?

The teaching by the churches that there is an "eternal hell" is not taught in the Bible, nor is the teaching that the soul is immortal. These have not done their "homework" regarding the real meaning of "hell" nor the soul. When the King James Bible was written, the words "hell" did not mean torments. According to the Encarta Dictionary, "Old English hel(l) . Ultimately from an Indo-European word meaning “to conceal".(Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005.)

When one looks objectively at the Bible, the meaning of the Hebrew word she’ohl´and both Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na (English, “Gehennaâ€Â, Matt 5:22; 10:28) that have been translated as "hell" by various Bibles, becomes clarified. To show that God is not one who torments people, he told the nation of Israel that "the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the Lord: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it. And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart."(Jer 7:30,31, King James Bible)

At Jeremiah 19:5, God again repeats what he had said earlier: "They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:"(King James Bible) and at Jeremiah 32:35, whereby God says: "And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin."(King James Bible)

If God calls the burning of the Israelites sons and daughters an "abomination", a "sin", then how could he burn people in "hell" and be free of guilt himself ? Otherwise, he would be a hypocrite. This though, is not the case, for it never entered into God's mind to do such wickedness nor will it ever. At Ecclesiates 9:5,6, Solomon wrote that "the living know that they shall die; but the dead know not anything....their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished." Thus, the dead "know not anything", but are now non-existent. Jesus said that "all those in the (memorial) tombs will hear his voice and come out."(John 5:28,29) Those who are in God's memory are awaiting a resurrection or bringing back to life again.

Hence, what is the Bible "hell" ? Revelation 20:13 says: "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell (Greek hai´des) delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."(King James Bible) Thus, due to the mistranslation of the Hebrew word she’ohl´and both Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na, people have been taught by the churches that God torments "sinners" in "hell".

However, to further show that "hell" is not a place of fiery torments, Jonah, while in the belly of the fish, cried out: "I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice."(Jonah 2:2, King James Bible) Was Jonah in a fiery place of torments ? No. Rather, he was in the belly of a fish that God had appointed to swallow him.

Thus Jonah was merely "concealed" from sight, just as the old English saying of "helling potatoes" meant that these were just buried in the ground or in an underground cellar. Hence, those in the Bible "hell" are merely in the grave, awaiting a resurrection from the dead, as Revelation 20:13 brings to our attention. The apostle Paul told Felix, procurator of the Roman province of Judea, that "there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.("just and unjust", King James Bible)"(Acts 24:15) Hence, even those considered as "unrighteous"(Young's Bible), "unjust"(King James Bible), "wicked"(International Standard Version) will receive a resurrection from the dead, to be given an opportunity to please their Creator. The churches have indeed distorted the meaning of "hell".

The expression, "lake of fire" that the churches point to as a place of torment, is used in four occurrences in Revelation 20. This expression is also spoken as the "fiery lake" at Revelation 19:20 and as the "lake that burns with fire and sulpher" at Revelation 21:8. In speaking of "the Devil and his angels", Jesus used the term "everlasting fire" at Matthew 25:41 and has the same meaning as the "lake of fire". Jesus also used the expression "Gehenna" [Greek form of the Hebrew word Geh Hin·nom´, “Valley of Hinnomâ€Â], at Matthew 5:22, 29,30; 18:9 and 23:15 meaning the same as the "lake of fire". Is the "lake of fire" literal ? No. Just as the "wild beast" and the "false prophet" at Revelation 13 are symbolic in the Bible book of Revelation, so is the "lake of fire".

What is the meaning of the "lake of fire" ? Just as fire consumes and destroys that which it burns, so the "lake of fire" means total destruction, not eternal torment, for the "wild beast" nor the "false prophet" cannot be physically tormented, but can be destroyed. These are political organizations, the "wild beast" being Satan's entire political system of things on the earth and the "false prophet" being the Anglo-America dual world power of Britain and America, and their supporters,(Rev 19:21) are destroyed following the total annihilation of "Babylon the Great", the world empire of false religion at the very hands of the "wild beast" or political elements of the world,(Rev 18:8) having done so because "God put it into their hearts to carry out his thought."(Rev 17:16,17)

The Bible "hell" is not a place of torment as many teach or believe, but is the common grave of mankind. Those judged worthy of a resurrection from the dead by Jesus Christ, as held captive by hades, to life everlasting on the earth are given an opportunity to learn of the God of the Bible, Jehovah, and become faithful adherents of his laws, submitting to his "kingdom". Any who have shown themselves unwilling to fully follow "the things written in the scrolls"(Rev 20:12) during the thousand year reign of Christ, are then thrown into "the lake of fire", or the "second death",(Rev 20:14) eternal destruction.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

more about word translations....

First off, Jonah wasn't dead; so his torment doesn't apply to the topic at hand.

Secondly, are you willing to preach that there is a third choice in the afterlife? Heaven, Hell, and nothing? You pointed out that every man will be judged by his works according to the bible. So, the law of noncontradiction would tell us that unless a man had NO works-did absolutely NOTHING his whole life, there has to be only two choices; you either work for good, or you work for evil. There's no middle ground, there's no safehouse, there's not a no-man's-land. You may also notice that the bibles says 'death and hell' delivered up the dead...there are none in hell that aren't dead, and there are none dead (unless they have been born of the Spirit) that aren't in hell. It doesn't say death delivered the dead, but hell didn't; or hell delivered the dead, but death didn't...no, because they work in unison.

Adullam said:
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

God is able, yes, but does the verse imply that He will annihilate out of existence those who do not believe? Could it be possible that what is destroyed is all that is opposed to God within mankind? I believe it is very much possible if fire is symbolic of correction and cleansing. 1Timothy 4:10 and 1John 2:2 seem to speak of this loving possibility.
Grace, Bubba

I wonder why the apostle Paul didn't even use the word "Gehenna" in all of his 12 letters. Do you suppose he warned people verbally about it when he preached the gospel?

Mosesjoel said:
What is hell and how does it fit with bible scriptures...

Hell is actually not a noun, but a verb, an action word meaning to bury or preserve.
In the past to preserve meats and other goods for a few extra days, was to wrap it up in cloth and bury it in a hole, and that was referred to as helling.

Hell in the bible must therefore refer to as Hydes or Shoel a resting place of the dead. The burial grounds.

The actual Hell which has been falsly doctrined through Christianity's history is another place different from the Hell I know, called Gehenna.

Gehenna came from Jewish termininalogy, of desposing dead criminals and others in a burning fire at a place called Gehenna, through Jesus teachings, eternal punishment was for the wicked to be sent to Gehenna, a place the people at that time could relate too. Eternal punishment was meant to be seperated from God forever and burned to non-existance

Any views on this matter I would gladly explain in more detail

MY COMMENTS: It is strange how "hell" has come to mean basically, " a place of fire and torment", in so many English versions of the Bible.

From Appendix 131 in The Companion Bible, by E.W. Bullinger: " 'Hell' is the English rendering of two different Greek words in the N.T.
The English word is from the Anglo-Saxon 'hel', Genitive Case 'helle' = 'a hidden place', from the Anglo-Saxon 'helan' = 'to hide.'"
Thus, in the old Anglo-Saxon, it could be a noun (helle) or a verb (helan).

Yes, "hell' is the English rendering, in many English Versions, of two different Greek words in the N.T. They are "Gehenna" and "Hades."

Actually, "Gehenna" in our Lord's day, was the site outside the walls of Jerusalem where the city trash and offal were dumped and kept burning for the destruction of the refuse, and to help clear the air of the stench.
For some one worthy of death, the worst kind of judgment by the Sanhedren was to be sentenced to "the fires of geenna." Then, after being stoned to death, the body would be cast into geenna to be burned up; and what the fire didn't destroy, the maggots did.

Hence, "geenna" was used for the fires of destruction associated with the judgment of God.

Geenna was there during Jesus earthly ministry, and, IMO, will be outside the walls of a restored Jerusalem in the Messianic Kingdom on earth.

Our Lord referred to "geenna" (hell--AV) eleven times: Matt. 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15, 33.
Mark 9:43, 45, 47. Luke 12:5.

NOTICE: it was a literal place outside the walls of Jerusalem, and will be in the coming Messianic Kingdom outside the walls of a restored Jerusalem. Thus, "hell" is not some place "in the heart of the earth" that is traditional theology.

The other word rendered "hell" is the Greek word "Hades." While according to Greek mythology,
Hades was "the abode or state of the dead", when used by the Spirit in the Scriptures, we are given its equivalent in Acts 2:27 and 31, that is "Sheol", as in Psalms 16:10, meaning "the grave", or "the unseen."

The compilers of the KJV and others, rendered "Hades" as "hell" ten times: Matt. 11:23; 16:18.
Luke 10:15; 16:23. Acts 2:27, 31. Rev. 1:18; 6:8; 20:13 and 14.

Thus, IMO, "Hades" could be translated "the unseen" or "the grave" depending on the context.

Eternal hell vs eternal life

Assertions/Conclusions of this Article

To show that 'Hell' is a temporary place whose contents will finally be put into this eternal 'lake of fire' and that that place is 'perpetual'.
We do not teach about torment because we want to get even or revenge but only because we want to warn everyone we can about the truth and save them from going to that terrible place. Don't let false teachings cause you to not take this issue VERY seriously.

Supporting Evidence

Two eternal destinies

"And when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then will He sit upon His glorious throne.
All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on His left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' "
Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brothers, you did it to Me.' "
Then He will also say to those on the left, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.' "Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and we did not minister to You?' "
Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, neither did you do it to Me.' "
And these shall go away into eternal punishment,
but the righteous into eternal life.

(Mat 25:31-46 EMTV)

eternal
G166
αἰÎνιοÂ
aiÃ…Ânios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).

G2851
κÌλαÃιÂ
kolasis
kol'-as-is
From G2849; penal infliction: - punishment, torment.
No eternal punishment = No eternal life.
From that passage we see two distinct paths, one of which each of us will take depending on whether we are His child or not. It is also clear that the one path leads into the 'fire prepared for the devil and his angels', showing clearly that humans will at some point be put into the same place as Satan himself and the angels that decided to rebel against God with him.
Some use the argument that it doesnt SAY that people will burn forever, but it also doesnt specifically that they wont. Given the evidence as a whole, it seems much more likely that the people put in the lake of fire will face the same consequence that Satan and his angels will who are also there.

Resurrection to life or death

Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

(1Co 15:12-22 KJV)
So yes....ALL will be resurrected.
And what more is said about this resurrection ?
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
(Joh 5)
ALL will be made alive..resurrected...some to eternal life, some to eternal condemnation.

The resurrection body

Now this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor can corruption inherit incorruption.
(1Co 15:50 EMTV)
But someone will say, "How are the dead raised? And with what sort of body do they come?" Fool, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. And what you sow, you do not sow that body that will be, but a bare grain--perhaps wheat or some other grains. But God gives to it a body just as He desired, and to each of the seeds its own body.
All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is a different kind of flesh for men, and another flesh for beasts, another for fish, and another for birds. And there are celestial bodies, and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.
So also is the resurrection of the dead.
The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.
It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

(1Co 15:35-44 EMTV)

These who reign with Christ during the millennial reign quite apparently DO have their resurrection bodies since death has no power over them and they live thru the millenium with Christ.
Scripture shows that the rest were resurrected afterward and judgment taking place.
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

(Rev 20:4-15 KJV)

Torment

And here again, these PEOPLE who take the mark.
Notice the word is not 'kolasis' which is an argument used by some.

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
(Rev 14:9-10 KJV)

The sameG846 shall(G2532) drinkG4095 ofG1537 theG3588 wineG3631 of theG3588 wrathG2372 of God,G2316 which is poured outG2767 without mixtureG194 intoG1722 theG3588 cupG4221 of hisG848 indignation;G3709 andG2532 he shall be tormentedG928 withG1722 fireG4442 andG2532 brimstoneG2303 in the presenceG1799 of theG3588 holyG40 angels,G32 andG2532 in the presenceG1799 of theG3588 Lamb:G721
(Rev 14:10 KJV+)

G928
βαÃανίζÉ
basanizÃ…Â
bas-an-id'-zo
From G931; to torture: - pain, toil, torment, toss, vex.

Again, context of the whole SHOWS torment....
For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
(Luk 16:28 KJV)

Luk 16:28 ForG1063 I haveG2192 fiveG4002 brethren;G80 thatG3704 he may testifyG1263 unto them,G846 lestG3363 theyG846 alsoG2532 comeG2064 intoG1519 thisG5126 placeG5117 of torment.G931

G931
βάÃανοÂ
basanos
bas'-an-os
Perhaps remotely from the same as G939 (through the notion of going to the bottom); a touch stone, that is, (by analogy) torture: - torment.

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
(Rev 14:11 KJV)

And here we have the rich man in hell asking for water to cool his tongue.
and longing to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. And even the dogs came and would lick his sores. And it came to pass that the beggar died, and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom.

The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham from afar, and Lazarus in his bosom. Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am suffering in this flame.'
(Luk 16:21-24 EMTV)

SUFFERING
G3600
ὀδÃ…νάÉ
odunaÃ…Â
od-oo-nah'-o
From G3601; to grieve: - sorrow, torment.

The words are clear that the rich man is suffering because of the 'flame' and wants to be cooled.
G5395
ÆλÌξ
phlox
flox
From a primary ÆλέγÉ phlegÃ…Â (to “flash†or “flameâ€Â); a blaze: - flame (-ing).

G2711
καÄαÈÃÂÇÉ
katapsuchÃ…Â
kat-ap-soo'-kho
From G2596 and G5594; to cool down (off), that is, refresh: - cool.
Sounds like a guy thats pretty hot, no ?
Hell and death have not yet been cast into the lake of fire which is the second death.

Duration

We'll look at the words used to describe duration of 'eternal' and see how these words are used elsewhere to determine what the context shows.
Here is one of those words, aionios.
G166
αἰÎνιοÂ
aiÃ…Ânios
Thayer Definition:
1) without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be
2) without beginning
3) without end, never to cease, everlasting

G166
αἰÎνιοÂ
aiÃ…Ânios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).

Here we have PEOPLE who will burn forever who take the mark of the beast
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
(Rev 14:11 KJV)
All who believe will live 'eternally' with Him.
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal (g166)life.
(Joh 3:15 KJV)
And I give unto them eternal (g166)life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
(Joh 10:28 KJV)

Here's TWO DIFFERENT words entirely to make the point.
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal(g166) life:
(Rom 2:7 KJV)

immortality
G861
ἀÆθαÃÂÃία
aphtharsia
af-thar-see'-ah
From G862; incorruptibility; generally unending existence; (figuratively) genuineness: - immortality, incorruption, sincerity.
Looks like 'eternal' (g166) there is simply in AGREEMENT with the idea
Heres one...
How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal (g166) Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
(Heb 9:14 KJV)
We know the Spirit of God is 'eternal' supporting that g166 means precisely that.
Next we see that the glory of God is 'eternal'. If g166 means anything less than 'eternal' we would have to say that Gods glory is temporal.
But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal(g166) glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
(1Pe 5:10 KJV)

Here we see that the gospel is 'eternal'.
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting (g166)gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
(Rev 14:6 KJV)
And the Lords kingdom is also 'eternal' (g166)
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting (g166)kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
(2Pe 1:11 KJV)
And His covenant, also 'eternal'.
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting (G166)covenant,
(Heb 13:20 KJV)
We know God is 'eternal'...
But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting (g166) God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
(Rom 16:26 KJV)
Hebrews 9:12 shows that He has SECURED 'eternal redemption' for us.
Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
(Heb 9:12 KJV)
the CONTEXT of 'eternal life' is just THAT...ETERNAL LIFE

And I give unto them eternal (g166) life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
(Joh 10:28 KJV)
Gods word shows that that life is 'eternal' in the same way HE is by using the SAME greek word to describe it...aionios.
But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting (g166) God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
(Rom 16:26 KJV)

Who will and who wont be saved...

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and you believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart one believes resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses, resulting in salvation.
(Rom 10:9-10 EMTV)
Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(Joh 3:18 KJV)
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
(Mat 7:21-23 KJV)

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
(Rev 20:14-15 KJV)
But the cowardly, and unbelieving, and sinners, and abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and drug users, and idolaters, and all who are false shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
(Rev 21:8 EMTV)

Old Testament Evidence

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
some to everlasting life, and
some to shame and everlasting contempt.

(Dan 12:2 KJV)

H5769
עלנ/ עול×Â
‛ôlâm
BDB Definition:
1) long duration, antiquity, futurity, for ever, ever, everlasting, evermore, perpetual, old, ancient, world
1a) ancient time, long time (of past)
1b) (of future)
1b1) for ever, always
1b2) continuous existence, perpetual
1b3) everlasting, indefinite or unending future, eternity
And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
(Isa 66:23-24 KJV)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back