Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Camel and the eye of the eye of the needle.

C

carey

http://www.neverthirsty.org/pp/corner/read1/r00436.html

Bible Question: When Jesus said, " . . . it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," was He referring to a geographical formation called the "eye of the needle"?

Bible Answer: Three of the four gospels record this saying from Jesus. It is recorded in Matthew 19:24, Mark 10:25, and Luke 18:25.
Geographical Location. First, was Jesus referring to a geographical location? The answer is no. There are no historical or archaeological findings that have been identified as the "eye of a needle." Some writers have claimed this was a reference to a gate, but there is no evidence for that conclusion other than the author's imagination.
Parable. Jesus was using a parable to make a point. At the time of Jesus there were several similar proverbs. There was a Jewish proverb which says that a man cannot even in his dreams watch an elephant go through the eye of a needle. There was also a proverb in the Koran which says, “For those who have denied and scorned Our revelations the gates of heaven shall not be opened; nor shall they enter Paradise until the camel shall pass through the eye of a needle†(Koran 7:39). The Talmud also has a statement “A needle’s eye is not too narrow for two friends, nor is the world wide enough for two enemies.†These proverbs may have been adapted from Jesus' proverb since both the Koran and the Jewish Talmud were written after Jesus. It is also possible they had a different origin. In any case the proverbs have the same meaning: impossibility.

Conclusion: Jesus was not saying that one cannot be rich. Nor was He saying that God rejects rich people because they are rich. Even Abraham, Job, King David, and King Solomon were very wealthy men. Jesus' point was that when one is wealthy that person may be willing to "serve God" but not completely. When it comes to depending on God for the forgiveness of one's sins, we find it hard to admit we are nothing when we think we have everything. The man Jesus was talking to was pursuing God according to his own heart.

The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?" Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property. "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.†(NASB) Matthew 19:20-24

It is not enough to want to please God. The true test of being God's children is a willingness to give up everything if asked to do so. This is hard when one feels he has most everything. It is as difficult as a camel trying to go through the eye of a needle. Neither can a rich man enter heaven who wants to get there on his own power. After he dies and realizes that he needs God, he is too late.

If a man puts money ahead of God, then he should not have it. In fact, if you have anything you put ahead of God, it is an idol, and that is the second commandment you are breaking and the first, too, if you get technical.

Being rich alone would not be a sin, only if you put your riches before God.

carey,

There is a popular teaching that I tend to believe on "The Eye of the Needle". It is a very narrow, low, gate in the wall around Jerusalem. In order for a camel to enter through that gate, all of the goods that have been packed on it must first be unloaded.
When I get a bit more time, I will see if I can find some documentation for you.

hmmm

Gabbylittleangel said:
carey,

There is a popular teaching that I tend to believe on "The Eye of the Needle". It is a very narrow, low, gate in the wall around Jerusalem. In order for a camel to enter through that gate, all of the goods that have been packed on it must first be unloaded.
When I get a bit more time, I will see if I can find some documentation for you.

From the original post cut and paste

Some writers have claimed this was a reference to a gate, but there is no evidence for that conclusion other than the author's imagination

That is an unnecessary interpretation. Hyperbole is common in proverbs like this one. I'll even accept the bizarre idea of a camel going through a needle's eye for hyperbole, however (and I only keep this as a reserve interpretation) advocates of the Gospels originally being penned in Aramaic/Hebrew note that the Hebrew word for camel and cable (a thick rope) only differ in one letter and claim that it may have been a scribal error in record (thus the analogy points to a thick rope trying to be forced through a needle's eye - which they say makes more sense). Even if that is true I still wouldn't have a problem with the camel/eye of needle hyperbole to make the proverb's point. Both a cable (thick rope) and a camel are too large to go through a needle's eye so either makes the point. But it isn't linguistics that determines the final significance of a verse but rather its inspired meaning, and it is pretty clear what that meaning is.

God Bless,

~Josh

Or, cities of the past in that part of the world were 'walled'. There were openings in the walls that were only 'high' enough to allow a man to walk through in order to keep invading armies from 'riding their camels into the cities'. So, when a camel was brought into the city, in order to pass through the gate, the owner had to HIT the camel in the knees in order to get the animal to 'drop to it's knees' and it was 'this way that the camel had to 'crawl' through the gate; on it's knees, which was very painful for the camel. It literally had to be FORCED to get on it's knees and crawl painfully through the gate in this fashion.

I know, I know. Fairy tale right? Doubtful. For this practice DiD take place even though there is no reference to 'the eye of the needle'.

MEC

Back