Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Christian, the Church, and helloween

*sigh*

This is something I have struggled with for the past couple years.

I don't understand what's so evil about letting my children dress up and go get candy at homes that pass it out or go to church fall festivals. What is so bad about that? What if they did it the day AFTER halloween? Would it still be so terrible? What is the harm in letting them play dress up in public? That's all halloween is to us. Playing dress up in public and having fun getting scared. Someone made a comment about "fear". I have ALWAYS loves scary stuff. I love scary movies and haunted houses. It's FUN! Is it evil to hide in a closet and jump out and scare my kids? They love it! They scream and run away laughing and tell me to do it again.

I get into this discussion every single year and it's always the same thing. I'm told that I'm not a "true" Christian if I participate in Halloween, I'm told that it's an evil holiday, I'm exposing my kids to Satan, etc. I went to a new church last week and a little girl there told my 6 year old that Halloween is the Devil's birthday. I just told my daughter that we don't know when they devil's birthday is. I was at a loss as to what I should say after that.

Maybe some people do bad things on that day, but they do it the rest of the 364 days of the year too. I pass out treat bags to children with candy and a halloween themed tract telling them about Jesus. Tell me how that's evil.

Tell me how my kids dressing up as Cinderella and Tinkerbell is bad.

Nikki said:
What is the harm in letting them play dress up in public? That's all halloween is to us. Playing dress up in public and having fun getting scared. Someone made a comment about "fear". I have ALWAYS loves scary stuff. I love scary movies and haunted houses. It's FUN!

I'm not completely sure how ghouls, spirits, and hauntings is biblically acceptable, or should be for the Christian. We know that the 'spirits' that haunt in real life are demonic in nature and so we celebrate the 'fear' that they create and call it 'fun'?

Nikki said:
I'm told that I'm not a "true" Christian if I participate in Halloween, I'm told that it's an evil holiday, I'm exposing my kids to Satan, etc. I went to a new church last week and a little girl there told my 6 year old that Halloween is the Devil's birthday. I just told my daughter that we don't know when they devil's birthday is. I was at a loss as to what I should say after that.

Maybe some people do bad things on that day, but they do it the rest of the 364 days of the year too. I pass out treat bags to children with candy and a halloween themed tract telling them about Jesus. Tell me how that's evil.

Tell me how my kids dressing up as Cinderella and Tinkerbell is bad.

The point is: Can we go and paint a leopard and call it a panther and then make it acceptable to do so when the painted panther is really still a leopard?

Does going around getting candy in the name of Halloween make it acceptable to celebrate when Halloween is, has been, will always be focused and centered on death, fear, dying, the supernatural, ghouls, spirits, occultism and anarchy? Trying to 'santize' a demonic holiday doesn't make it right out of prinicple regardless of the 'harmlessness' of the activity.

It would be akin for me attending a Satanic holiday celebration and believing that I am worshipping Christ when they all bow down to Satan.
Is there anything wrong with bowing down to Christ? Not on it's own merits, but the meaning is tainted when I try to make it 'different' from the norm and the meaning of the convention is the worship of Satan and not Christ.

My worshipping Christ doesn't make the Satanic convention alright

Halloween has nothing to do with Christianity. It only has to do with evilness. The things that seem so innocent are set forth to desensitize us and make us except the world. The Bible says What fellowship does light have with darkness. In reality this day is celebrated by Satanist and we have accepted it and kind of made Satanism seem not so bad or even real. But it is very real and we need to stay away from it. We wouldn't allow our children to play with ouigi (sp) boards even though most would say it is just a game.

I do not know why people are so against telling their own children the truth.

You can take them to do other things besides dress up in costumes or in any way acknowledge Halloween or similar festivals that Churches have setup to try and sugar coat it.

For Christmas I do not find anything wrong with acknowledging the birth of my Saviour. (even if the date is wrong). It is the only holiday that has a true spirit of giving which is more in line with Christianity.

Santa Claus, Trees and other symbols not included or needed.

Okay, this is just my opinion. I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong. First of all, Jesus doesn't tell us to celebrate His birth, only His death. Secondly, do any of you find anywhere in the Bible where birthdays were celebrated by anyone except pagans or unsaved?

Back