Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[ Testimony ] The Descent into Shadow

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DarkWalker

I was born into a Christian family with a loving mother and father. By all accounts, I was given every advantage, even in light of the fact I was born with a disability. My ailment was--according to the doctors--one that would bind me to a wheelchair for life, and reduce my mental capacity to that of a three-year old. I remained blissfully ignorant of my difference for the first years of my life, but eventually came to resent the gift God had given me. It was not until I was twelve years old that I began to see this thorn in my flesh as the motivation I required to do God's will. Now at twenty-nine, I am still not certain I have fully grasped the wondrous opportunities my disability affords me.

From the time I entered first grade to the time I left public school in ninth grade, I was harassed relentlessly by my peers (at school and church) for my faith, my disability, and--sadly--for my lamentable attitude. While speaking God's name out of one side of my mouth, I cursed my peers with the other side. For this, I was subjected to retaliation that ultimately led to post-traumatic stress disorder. It also led me to hostile intent toward my peers, resulting in a knock on the door from the Sheriff's Office and a consequential appointment with a mental health professional.

I had been placed on a medication for ADD at the age of ten, which is when I gained firsthand experience with homicidal and suicidal ideations. An ideation is different from intent; it is an image your brain produces, leaving you to decide what you should do with it. I did not recognize these ideations for what they were at the time. When I was diagnosed by the mental health professional with atypical depression, I was placed on a medication that gave me suicidal ideations and emotions.

These misdiagnoses--ADD and atypical depression--were not diagnosed properly as bipolar disorder until earlier this year. Since then, I have also discovered I suffer from executive function disorder, which is a learning disability that hinders my organizational skills and my ability to apply previous experience to current situations. In other words, I was the child who had to touch the stove several times to discover it was hot, not because I was (or am) stupid, but because I consistently forget.

My testimony could be much longer, detailing the times I have been in and out of the hospital, my stay at the mental hospital, my emotional breakdowns, and other events that have helped to shape me, but it should suffice for me to sum up what I have learned by borrowing this quote from the film Amazing Grace:

“Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.”

You have had a tough journey through life, and the rest may not be easy either. But our Lord has brought you safely to this point, and He will be walking beside you all they way. May you find joy and peace in Him.

Yes, God has brought me through many things, and I would not be who I am today without Him leading me. Thank God He's not done with me yet.

DarkWalker, your parents would be proud of your love for GOD, if they are believers, for you bring much joy to them, and us here on the forum. One day we will see our tribulations as stars on our crowns. I find the Hebrew word humble often in the context of affliction. And you have had your share of plenty. God bless you so.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back