Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Divine Council

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1 Kings 22
19 Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. 20 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’ “One suggested this, and another that. 21 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’ 22 “‘By what means?’ the Lord asked. “‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said. “‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

What you have just read is a scene in Heaven. YHWH is speaking to this assembly of Spirits. Who are these Spirits? These Spirits are of the Divine Council, the Holy Assembly. They are elohim. They are also known as angels, sons of God, and demons. These Spirits were given charge over the 70 nations of Genesis 10.

Deuteronomy 32:8

English Standard Version (ESV)

8 When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when he divided mankind, he fixed the borders of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God.

But they did not fulfill their duty. And that explains these comments made by YHWH:

Psalm 82:2-8

82 God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
2 “How long will you judge unjustlyand show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. 4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.â€5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.6 I said, “You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you;7 nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.†8 Arise, O God, judge the earth; for you shall inherit all the nations!

What else do we know about the sons of God? They sang and cheered God on during creation.

Job 38:4-7

4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?
6 On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, 7 when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

I believe it is clear from these passages that the Divine Council does exist and are active in our world. We are to be wary of them.

Ephesians 6:11-13

11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

Psalm 89

6 For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?
Who among the heavenly beingsis like the Lord,
7 a God greatly to be feared in the council of the holy ones,
and awesome above all who are around him?

I'll kick it off with a comment, maybe things will get rolling.

The word elohim is the plural of eloah. Eloah is the word that we translate as god, but is a bit misleading when we think in that term with our modern thinking. The elohim are a class of spiritual beings created by YHWH. He, Himself, is an elohim and belonging to this class of spiritual beings, yet He is far superior being the Creator of all else. Elohim are a class of being that sit in this council you mentioned, YP. We can get a glimps of this in the following:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26, KJV)

We often see the elohim in scripture, they have the appearance of man, and often accompany YHWH in his work. They can bear His name and represent His character.

This is an interesting study.

I've found a study on the word "Elohim" from http://messianictorah.org/en/pdf/trich-2.pdf

Here are some of the paragraph headings:
  • Chapter 2 --The Plural Form of the Word "Elohim"
  • The Meaning of the Word "Elohim" in Relation to the Word "El" and Creation
  • "Elohim" Texts with the Verb in Plural Form
  • The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Angels
  • The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Idols
  • The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to a Man
  • The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Judges and Kings

Examples from Scripture are given for each of the above.
Note: The text reflects a Jewish view.

Here are some of the paragraph headings:Chapter 2 --The Plural Form of the Word "Elohim"
The Meaning of the Word "Elohim" in Relation to the Word "El" and Creation
"Elohim" Texts with the Verb in Plural Form
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Angels
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Idols
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to a Man
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Judges and Kings

Examples from Scripture are given for each of the above.
Note: The text reflects a Jewish view.

I agree with the idea that elohim can refer to a certain class of angels, but in the other cases their presupposition is being read into the verses. For instance, assuming that their proof verses refer to idols, they are glossing over the fact that there were real spiritual beings behind the gods of the other nations. These elohim were represented in the idols that men made to them. This is the reason that YHWH's people were commanded to be different, don't make idols to Him or any other gods (elohim). Be a peculiar people. I know it is a common teaching that the elohim are idols and men, but under closer scrutiny it doesn't hold up. This steps on some of the teaching that most of us have had regarding this, but it is true.

Blessings.

I know it is a common teaching that the elohim are idols and men, but under closer scrutiny it doesn't hold up.

I didn't mean to say that the word "Elohim" was only used in reference to Idols and/or men. There are Scriptures referenced in the article to prove otherwise.

There are Scriptures referenced in the article to prove otherwise.

They don't "prove" otherwise Sparrowhawke, they quoted and referenced as though they support the presupposition. The fact is, like Psalm 82 that they mentioned, is about a heavenly host of beings who assembly before YHWH Almighty. What they are doing in the article is reading supposition into the scripture thinking that those scripture support their supposition. But there are better explanations based upon a Hebraic understanding of the verses. When this is done, they make much better sense and have continuity with other places in scripture.

For instance, take a look at this website, the author is showing what this is about. CLICK HERE, I hope you'll take the time.

Blessings.

I hope you'll take the time.

After you, sir. I don't mind taking the time to read what you've posted and will, but my thought is that you may have not followed your own admonishment? For instance, in the article that I've cited there appears a reference that clearly indicated Moses (Moshe). I can not see any other way to read it. Did you read the section that spoke of Exodus 4:16 and Exodus 7:1?

ElohimTexts_zps5d58bf27.png

After you, sir. I don't mind taking the time to read what you've posted and will, but my thought is that you may have not followed your own admonishment? For instance, in the article that I've cited there appears a reference that clearly indicated Moses (Moshe). I can not see any other way to read it. Did you read the section that spoke of Exodus 4:16 and Exodus 7:1?

I was going to address these verses after we established what Psalms 82 is refering to. But I'll address them one at a time. Modern scholarship has interpreted this verse as follows:

He will speak for you to the people, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were his God (elohim). (Exodus 4:16, NET)

The Hebrew structure isn't calling Moses an elohim, but instead telling him that he will be the leader to Aaron and Aaron will be his spokesman. Referring to the relationship and not calling Moses an elohim. Aaron wasn't really Moses mouth, but he stood in a relationship with Moses and spoke for Him. Just as Moses wasn't really an elohim, but stood in a relationship with Aaron as if he were.

Also, the Hebrew indicates the following translation of Exodus 7:1:

So the LORD said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet. (Exodus 7:1, NET)

Again, this is speaking of a relationship of Moses, it is not calling him and elohim..., but he would be like an elohim to Pharaoh.

Sparrowhawk, your interlinear is a translation of the Hebrew, it is someone's opinion. I used the Net Bible, which is a translation from some of the latest opinions of other scholars. Do you actually think that Moses was Pharaoh's god?

... your interlinear is a translation of the Hebrew

I can't take credit for the translation, nor for the interlinear sub-text, nor for the actual Hebrew that is shown. It's not "mine" any more than it is "yours". The Hebrew Text is WLC_v (v1.1): Westminster Leningrad Codex with vowels, the sub-linears (green font) are WLC_t, CHES (v2.0), and the translation on the side is the "Authorized Version" of the Bible.

But you've asked what I think. Well, I actually think that the Hebrew is available to look at and that one does not need to be a Hebrew scholar to understand that the word "Elohim" may be used in reference to angels as well as to a man. It is indeed interesting to notice that it was the plural form that was used even when it was used to reference Moses only.

Thanks for asking! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be serious, I don't see a "The Divine Council" In psalm 82. You don't even need the Hebrew to understand it or even as Tallen said the correct Reference according to what Tallen likes.

It's almost sorrowful that we Have the Holy Spirit, and we are told exactly how to interpret the Word, but we choose to ignore it, and make is so complicated that nobody can get it. It's sad we read something that our Religious hump can't be driven over to see what is really there on the other side. You don't need Hebrew, as God was more than able to speak to us in our own language.
This is not Hebrew Text. This is God, the one that made us. Pay attention.

Isa 28:9
Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

1Co_2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Hos_12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, (Like things) by the ministry of the prophets.

Does anyone see Hermeneutics mentioned by the Lord? Anyone see The Latest and greatest (New Edition) mentioned by the Lord? I guess I don't either.

Elohim is a class of something. It is mostly singular but can be plural if defined in the Article.

Let's use God's method here of translating easy to understand text. Without all the (Greatest and newest editions)

Psa 82:1 A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Eliohyim stands in the congregation (Mostly ..Family, gathering, crowd, assembly) of the El's (gods, mighty.....) He judges among the Eliohyim's

Who is God judging? We are responsible for judging angels, so it's not angels.

1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Psa 82:2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Psa 82:3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Psa 82:4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

Angels given to judge? Nope.
Angels given to defend the poor without orders from the Lord? Nope

Who is in that crowd?

line upon line, here a little and there a little. Like things with like things.

Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

What are they upset about? Jesus made himself God, saying He was the son of God. They knew the law that each seed produces after it's own Kind. If Jesus claims to be a son of God, then in their minds he is claiming to be God also. No confusion here.

What did Jesus say?

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Jesus said, it's written in your own law that You are gods also. Not magistrates, not made up junk because I can't fathom Jesus calling humans gods....NO, Just like Jesus, Just Like the Father, He said you are also gods.

1Jn_4:17
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

As He is, we are what?

1Jn 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Be like who, a god?

Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

The Word came to who? The angels? The monkeys? The word came to us!! Even the angels wish to look into what we know.

Joh 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

What works?

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Compare.

Psa 82:2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Psa 82:3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Psa 82:4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Is not that the scripture Jesus quoted? Who he call gods again? Where they acting like the Father God?

Eph_5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Psa 82:7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

Who is the Prince?

Joh_14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
Joh_16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Psa 82:7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Psa 82:8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Who is the nations here on earth? A nation of angels? Who?

Who are also gods? Who's image are we created in?

Line upon Line, Here a little there a little, Precept upon precept, compare Spiritual with Spiritual. No Hermeneutics or updated text needed. Just obey God, on how to interpret the Word with the Holy Spirit.

You all be blessed.

Here are some of the paragraph headings:

Chapter 2 --The Plural Form of the Word "Elohim"
The Meaning of the Word "Elohim" in Relation to the Word "El" and Creation
"Elohim" Texts with the Verb in Plural Form
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Angels
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Idols
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to a Man
The Word "Elohim" Can Refer to Judges and Kings

This was correct the first time, now we plug that into where it's needed and compare scriptures. It's how it's done.

Mike.

Back