Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Gospel According to Moses (For bible students only)

C

charlesj

This is a study of the "Sacrificial Systems." It is a study that will take many weeks. I will only write on it if you are interested. I learned (and studied) this in 1976 and haven't seen it taught anywhere (that I know of). I would like to share it with you, if you are interested. I have about thirty books on this subject in my library. Authors like J.H. Kurtz (German scholar in early 1900’s) wrote of the Sacrificial System in a book translated and titled “Offerings, Sacrifices and Worship in the Old Testament.â€Â) {Very good book!} and C.H. Machintosh in his “Genesis to Deuteronomy, Notes on the Pentateuch†book shows a lot of these offerings etc. I don’t agree with Machintosh on everything, but he is a pretty good author on the sacrifices. (Machintosh is a premillennialist which I disagree with.)
I am writing on the Burnt Offering and the Continual Burnt Offering in this writing.
I am leaving out the other offerings (Meal Offering, Peace Offering, Sin Offering, Trespass Offering, Yom Kippur and the Red Heifer. I will write on these only if I have students (like me) that are interested. (By the way, “disciple means learner or student.â€Â)

The Gospel According to Moses

In the Sacrificial System you will see different kinds of prophesy that the Old Testament contains.
• You will see the concept of Typology and also
• see the sacrifices as a foreshadow of the sacrifice Jesus the Messiah would do.
• As you study the sacrificial system, remember, that these Jews are ALREADY covenant people during this time.
• The sacrifices mentioned in the Book of Leviticus are sacrifices that point to the Messiah, His office and what He does for us today IN HEAVEN!

KEEP IN MIND!;

Paul spoke about the law, Galatians 3:24 “Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us (Jews) unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.†The Law was a schoolmaster to led the Jew to Christ

In Exodus 20 you will find the Law,
---the Ten Commandments formed the foundation –
---with 613 other laws, statutes, ordinances, and commandments added. … called Mitzvot.
Most people are familiar with the 10 Commandments of the Torah/Old Testament. However, there are actually 613 commandments (Mitzvot) set out in the Torah that guide the Jew's daily life. There are positive as well as negative commandments in these 613.

---The rest of Exodus (chapter 20 on to the end) defines the building of the Tabernacle, the ordination of the priests of Levi and the initial definition of the sacrifices they were to offer.

The Hebrew writer describes the tabernacle:

Hebrews 9:8-9 8 the Holy Spirit this signifying, that the way into the holy place hath not yet been made manifest, while the first tabernacle is yet standing; 9 which is a figure for the time present; according to which are offered both gifts and sacrifices that cannot, as touching the conscience, make the worshipper perfect, .

This tabernacle is described as a “figure for the time present…†The Greek word here for “figure†is “parabole†which means “parable.â€Â

--The Greek “para†means “besides†while the Greek “ballein†means “to throwâ€Â… that is, “to throw beside.â€Â
--The tabernacle of the Old Testament times was a “parabole†and pointed to the time of Christ.
--The tabernacle foreshadowed the time of Messiah.

The Book of Leviticus offers the student of the Bible:
• many important lessons about God
• daily religious life under the law.

In this Great Book of Leviticus:

1. It will reveal the Holiness of God… -- “holy†appears some 83 times in the book.

2. This book establishes the Theocratic rule in Israel – “theocracy†describes God ruling the people.
• Israel was a “Theocracyâ€Â
• Interestingly enough, so is the Church today.

3. This book consecrated Israel to His sacred, historical mission.

4. Also, the book reveals the nature and consequences of sin.
–Sin frustrates and breaks the relationship between God & man.
-- Isaiah 59:2 2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.

5. Leviticus shows God’s mercy and grace in forgiveness.

6. Also, it prepares Israel for the coming Messiah. (Gal 3:24)

7. Regulates Man’s natural urge to worship God.
i. God states in Leviticus what was and what was not acceptable in service to Him.
ii. Today, God will only accept worship in Spirit and Truth. (John 4:23,24)

8. God defines the ultimate destiny of man through festivals and symbols – not only of this age (Old Covenant age), but also of the age to come (New Testament times).

9. Leviticus declares the eternal, unchanging principles by which God governs His people through obedient faith.

10. Leviticus establishes the concept of redemption by sacrificial blood.
Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

11. Reveals man’s INABILITY to handle the sin problem.
--Leviticus builds into the Mosaic sacrificial system evidence of its inability to handle the sin
problem with simple animal sacrifices.
--As a “schoolmaster†it tells the Jew to look for a better sacrifice.

12. It also reveals the inability of the WHOLE Mosaical sacrificial system to handle the sin problem. All the animal sacrifices were NOT truly
able to contend with the problem of sin.
a. The blood of bulls and goats could NOT take away sin. (Heb 10:4)
b. There had to be one great ULTIMATE sacrifice for ALL, namely Yahshua the Christ, “The Lamb of God.â€Â

13. Leviticus reveals the temporary nature of the Law and the sacrificial system.
Galatians 3:19 What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

LEVITICAL SACRIFICES WERE PROPHETIC OF CHRIST.

A. Two Major Prophetic Forms in the Old Testament.

1. Verbal prophecy. There are over 300 verbal prophecies concerning the coming Messiah. (Here are a few)
……a. Messiah’s kingly reign (Psalm 2:1-12)
……b. Messiah’s resurrection (Psalm 16:8-10) This speaks of the resurrection of Christ and mentioned by Peter in Acts 2.
……c. Messiah’s crucifixion (Psalm 22:1-31)
……d. The virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14)
……e. Christ’s birth in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2)

2. System prophecy – where a whole complex series of events, persons, and circumstances are made into a prophetic form. Examples:
……a. Fiery serpents: Numbers 21:6ff with John 3:14. Compare John 3:14-16, Christ being lifted up on the cross.
……b. The Passover: Exodus 12 with Luke 22:14. Compare 1Cor 5:7 where Yahshua is our Passover.
.……c. The Flood and baptism: Genesis 7 with 1 Peter 3:20,21. The flood is prophetic of salvation that is in Christ.
…….d. Material descriptions with spiritual applications, Isaiah 35:5-10.

B. Typology –Types and Antitypes.…

1. You can see a type presented like an architectural drawing, blue-print and the building constructed from the plans.
…2. A "type" is like a pattern is to a dress, it IS NOT the dress, but is
a "pattern."
Good example of this type and antitype is seen in Hebrew 8:5 where
Moses was told to build a tabernacle according to a “pattern.†This Pattern is the Greek word “Tupos†meaning “mark/stamp, mold or pattern.â€Â

………...Hebrews 8:5 5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern (tupos) shewed to thee in the mount.

Since the resurrection, Christ entered into the "antitype", the tabernacle "made without hands" located in heaven. Heb 9:11.

………Another example of a type and antitype is the flood and baptism.
Peter tells us that baptism is the “antituposâ€Â(antitype) to the flood.
1 Peter 3:21 21 The like figure (antitupos) whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
………The word “figure†is the Greek word “antitupos.†We get our English word “antitype†from “antitupos.

{If you want to "emulate" the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord, you must also be buried with Him (Rom 6:3ff) through baptism. It is at this time that you apply the Blood for atonement. According to an inspired apostle, Paul, it is at this time that you are raised to walk in 'newness' of life, that is 'born again.' This is NOT what charlesj says, this is what the bible says. This is between you and God.}

Blood on doorposts (Passover, Ex 12) – Jesus our Passover (1Cor5:7)
(“…when I see the Blood, I will passover…â€Â)
The Rock Moses smote (Ex 17) -- That Rock was Chirst (1Cor 10:4)

(THESE ARE BUT A "FEW" OF MANY TYPES AND ANTITYPES)

C. Shadows Verses The Substance.

…1. New Testament usages of the term “shadow.†(“SKIA†in the Greek is translated “shadow.â€Â.)
……a. Hebrews 3 & 4 – the physical “Promised Land†verses “heaven itself.â€Â
……b. Hebrews 3 & 4 – Jewish “Sabbath†and God’s Rest (in Christ).
……c. Hebrews 8:5….â€â€Jewish tabernacle was a shadow “tupos†of a copy (HUPODEIGMATA) of a pattern of the real.
……d. Hebrews 9:23 --- “The copies of the things in the heavens†cleansed with animal blood, but the “heavenly things themselves†with better blood – the Blood of Christ.
……e. Hebrews 10:1 – Jewish sacrifices were a shadow (skia) of the sacrifice of Christ.
……f. Colossians 2:16 – Jewish foods, drinks, festivals, new moons and Sabbaths (including 7thd day Sabbath) are but physical “shadows of things to come, but the reality is found in Christ.â€Â

…2. Shadows predict and demand substance or reality.
……a. Gen 1:26 – man is made in the “image of God†(Hebrew language says man is “in the deep shadow†of God)
……b. Shadows DO NOT have independent existence.
……c. Substance CANNOT be built from a shadow.
……d. Example: Airplane shadow late in the evening precedes the substance, but predicts reality! Your can just see this “shadow of a plane†and pretty soon you will see the actual plane. This is the same with the types and shadows of the Old Testament… as you read and look at the shadows you will finally find the real thing CHRIST!

JEWISH SACRIFICES (SACRIFICIAL SYSTEM) PREFIGURES JESUS THE CHRIST.

Each Jewish sacrifice prefigures some specific aspect of the sacrifice of JESUS. Hebrews 9:23 speaks of Christ’s sacrifices being plural in number. Hebrews 10:1 speaks of the plural Jewish scarifies that were shadows of Christ in His many-faceted offering.

A. In the Burnt Offering - you see Christ’s Consecration to God – He gave His 100%!
B. In the Meal Offering – Christ’s presents His gift to the Father, the Church (His People).
C. In the Peace Offering – His Reconciliatory Gift to Man in the Restoration of Fellowship with God.
D. In the Sin Offering – His Atonement.
E. In the Trespass Offering – His Defending the Justice of God.
F. In the Day of Atonement Offerings – His Priestly and Sacrificial Function United in One Great Ceremonial.
G. IN the Passover Offering – His Liberation of His People (Church) from the Bondage of Sin.
H. In the Red Heifer – His Purification of His People from All Defilements.

CHRIST WAS FOREKNOWN AS “THE LAMB OF GOD.â€Â

Christ was foreknown before the foundation of the world as the Lamb of God (John 1:29)

A. He was delivered to be Crucified “By God’s set purpose and foreknowledge†(Acts 2:23). But you (the Jews) crucified and killed Him.
B. Yahshua was foreknown as the Sacrificial Lamb before the world was created (1Peter 1:20) He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
C. He was already slain before the foundation of the world in the Mind and Purpose of God (Rev 13:8) Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
D. Old Testament Prophecies Foresee His Sacrificial Role.
……..1. Psalm 16:9-10 foresees His resurrection.
……..2. Psalm 22:1-31 foresees His crucifixion
……..3. Psalm 118:22 see Him as “the rejected stone†of God.
……..4. Psalm 118:27 sees Him as the “sacrifice bound to the horns of the altar.â€Â
……..5. Isaiah 50:6 sees Him giving His whole body to those who would torture Him.
……..6. Isaiah 52:13 to 53:12 see Him as the “lamb led to the slaughter.â€Â
……..7. Daniel 9:26 sees Him as the “Anointed one who was cut off and had nothing†when He was crucified.
……..8. Zechariah 13:1-7 sees His Blood as a “fountain for cleansing for sinâ€Â, and the “awakening†of the sword of God†striking Yahshua as the substitute sacrifice for human sin.

BURNT OFFERING

Burnt offering is taken from the Hebrew word “olah.†In the Septuagint (LXX) the Greek word is “holocautoma.†We get our English word “holocaust†from holocautoma.

The Burnt offering stands apart in its importance from all other offerings of the Law of Moses. The animals required for this offering, and the use made of it will underscore the fundamental, spiritual lessons the Burnt Offering was to teach the Hebrew people. (Gal 3:24)
This offering belongs to the “sweet savor†category of sacrifices and was therefore fundamentally a worship offering.

The Burnt Offering can only be offered by the Jew who is IN FELLOWSHIP with the Father. Those who sin, MUST offer the proper sacrifice BEFORE they offer the Burnt offering. That is, if the sinner has violated any of the first five commandments of the law, then they are to offer a “Sin offeringâ€Â, while if they have broken any of the last five commandments, they are to offer a trespass offering. The first five commandments are for sins against God, while the last five are for trespasses (sin) against his fellowman (and God).
After the proper sacrifice is offered, they can then offer the Burnt Offering.

The word “burn†in the burnt offering is a Hebrew word that means “to turn into smoke.†The “smoke†from the sacrifice ascends up into the Father’s nose and He says, “I like that!†It’s called a sweet smelling sacrifice.
The Hebrew word for “burn†in the sin or trespass offering is a different Hebrew word and means “to utterly burn up!†Also, this burning is always done “outside the camp.†This is NOT sweet smelling.

A. The description of the Burnt Offering.
1. It’s the Purest, most comprehensive form of worship to God.
2. Its in the “sweet savor,†pleasing aroma.
3. Most God-addresses sacrifice – It was wholly consumed for His exclusive pleasure.
a. No part of the Burnt Offering was given to others, as was characteristic of all other sacrifices.
b. Leviticus 1:9 “…the whole shall be turned to smoke.â€Â
4. The sacrifice is not conceived as destroyed, or even burned – simply transferred, sent (fumed) to God.
a. As incense ascends, or is fumed to God.
b. The word “OLAH†literally means: that which ascends.
5. It symbolizes the total consecration of the worshiped to God.
a. The spiritual Jew says to God with this sacrifice: “as this animal is totally given to you and is consumed for your pleasure, so I want my life to be given to you for your pleasure.â€Â
b. All sacrifices involved vicarious substitution and representations on behalf of the offerer.
c. What physically happens to the animal is seen as the expression of the worshiper’s desire. “I want my life to be totally consumed for God’s pleasure.â€Â
d. Genesis 22:2, the episode of Abraham and Isaac.
1). Verse 5 “…we will go yonder and worship†(first view from Abraham’s perspective)
2). Verse 5 “…we will return again….†Faith! (second view it from Isaac’s perspective)
3). Heb 11:19 “…received him back from death.†Jehovah Jireh = Jehovah provides. The ram becomes the vicarious, substitution sacrifice in the place of Isaac.
6. Burnt Offering was most common Hebrew sacrifices – centrality. It was central in all their worship activities.
a. Individual – any time that he wanted.
b. Continual Burn Offering for nation. Offered every day – morning and evening. Required that the “FIRES KEPT
BURNING, NEVER TO GO OUT!†(Lev. 6:9,12) When these fires were out, it meant only one thing, Israel
was in Sin! (Like “pray without ceasing, huh?, Or, “…presenting your bodies as a living sacrifice.)
c. Central act of worship on all feast days and Sabbaths.
7. Most God-centered and spiritually deep sacrifice.
a. Recognizing God’s right to man’s highest devotions.
b. Deserving unreserved love and consecration.
8. Consecration more important than atonement. Atonement means there is estrangement between the worshiper and God.
9. Most ancient form of man’s worship to God.
a. Abel in shadow of Eden (Gen 4:1) Abel offered an “olahâ€Â(burnt offering) and Cain offered a Korban (gift).
(Also, remember, the burnt offering, meal and peace offering, the sweet smelling sacrifices, were all before
Mount Sinai, but the none-sweet sacrifices, that is, the sin and trespass offerings were AFTER Mt. Sinai.)
b. Noah offered every clean animal in the Ark as a burnt offering to God (Gen 8:20)
c. “God smelled the pleasing aroma†and made the covenant of the Rainbow.

B. The Ritual, Ceremonial, Stage, Movement of the Sacrifice.
Each one of these steps carried deep spiritual connotations and implications.
There are five stages that the worshiper takes part in. At one point, the priest will take over.
1. Stage one. The Presentation – this is the first stage of all, but the Trespass offering.
a. The individual is seen as presenting himself and his animal as presents to God.
b. From that moment it is God’s animal – He dictates its use.
c. He presents self as a worshipped.
1). He does not leave the Tabernacle, he is an observer.
2). It involves deep meditation, reflection, love for God.
2. Stage two. The worshipper lays ONE hand on the head of the victim.
a. This is NOT to claim ownership as some claim – the animal is NO LONGER his.
b. Rather, as an act of designation for special function as the substitute for himself.
c. Characteristic of all blood-letting sacrifices except the Continual Burnt Offering and the bull and first goat on the
Day of Atonement.
d. This laying on of the hand assigns function, service or office.
(Some examples of laying on of hands)
1). Lev 24:14 – blasphemer assigned to die.
2). Numbers 27:23 – Moses to Joshua – leader.
3). Numbers 8:5-19 – redemption of the first born.
a). Verse 10 – lay hand on Levite.
b). Verse 17 – I have taken the Levite instead of the first-born.
4). Day of Atonement. Aaron lays two hands on goat for Azazel (Lev 16:21,22)
e. Leviticus 1:4 – “lay hand…it will be accepted on his behalf to make atonement for him.â€Â
f. Hebrews 6:2 “laying on of hands, part of the Old Testament ‘first principles’†(many apply Heb 6:1ff to N.T.
time period, but this is speaking of the law, see Heb 5:12ff)
g. This laying on of hands SYMBOLICALLY transfers the worshipers sins (not literal).
h. Thus the worshiped acknowledged:
1). Confession of sin
2). Thankfulness for grace of forgiveness.
3). Knew his sins were transferred.
4). Leaned (to lay hands, the Hebrew word means “to lean on.â€Â) heavily on victim for atonement.
a). atone – means “to cover.†(“kaphar†in Hebrew)
b). Genesis 6:14 – Noah covered (kaphar) ark with tar.
c). The Christian “leans†on Christ for atonement.
3. Stage three: Slaying of the substitute victim by the worshipper.
a. “Slay†in Hebrew is “shahat.†It is sacrificial slaughter (Ex 20:13 “…thou shalt no kill†kill in Hebrew is ratsach)
b. Worshiper/sinner kills his own stand-in.
1). He realizes he is responsible for its death.
2). He sees the terrible consequences of sin in the animal’s death.
3). Life given vicariously for life (Lev 17:11, Heb 9:22) “…without blood there is no remission of sins…â€Â
4). He is made conscious of mercy/grace.
5). He thus agrees with heaven’s judgment against sin.
a) Any creature with sin to his credit MUST DIE – does not deserve to live.
b) Heaven cannot just ignore sin!!
6). Worshiper agrees that he executes God’s penalty.
7). This is how the Jew “died to sin.â€Â
a) I kill my sin, I repudiate it.
b) Christians die to sin at the baptistery.
8). Jew had “hands-on†contact with his victim
9). Christians, by faith, lay hands on Christ.
a) He was no VICTIM but a VOLUNTEER.
b). Acts 2:23 - .. ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
c) Our sins nailed Him to the cross (1Pet 2:24; 2 Cor 5:21)
d) We must view ourselves as causal in Jesus death.
4. Stage Four: The Sprinkling of theBlood.
Sprinkling of the Blood of the sacrifice is done by the priest. To sprinkle in Hebrew is “ZARAQ†meaning to “splash.â€Â
a. At stage four, the worshipper is gone as far as he can go.
b. The Worshipper must depend upon the priest to apply the blood as God demands.
1). Just as we laid our hand by faith on Jesus and transferred our sins to Him.
2). Knowing what we now know about the essentiality of His death, we would have to add our voice to that of the mob in Jerusalem who cried: “…Let Him be crucified.â€Â
3). So now, we rely on Him as our High Priest to make the proper application of His own Blood to cover our sin(s).
c. The use of blood varies in different sacrifices.
1). It depends on the prominence given to expiation.
2). In the Burnt Offering, Peace Offering, and Trespass Offering the idea of atonement is always present. But it
IS NOT a dominant concept.
3). Therefore in the Burnt Offering, atonement is present, BUT MARGINAL. The atonement concept gives way to
the consecration of the worshipper’s life to God.
c. The blood always sprinkled on the lower sides (round about, on all sides) of the altar of Burnt Offering.
1). The inconspicuous use of blood. This signifies that it is marginal!
2). Exodus 20:24 – since altar was where God promise to come and to bless Israel.
a). Then putting the blood on the altar is symbolic of presenting it to God to confirm that the penalty of sin
was properly imposed according to law.
b). The blood stood for life (Leviticus 17:11)
Leviticus 17:11 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make
an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
3). Symbolically, as God told Israel at the first Passover: When I see the blood, I will pass over. When He saw the
blood on the side of the altar, He would Passover.

5. Stage Five: Skinning or “flaying†the animal.
a. From Leviticus 7:8 we lean that the officiating priest receives the skin. (The Red Heifer alone was not skinned, but the
whole body was consumed with fire and reduced to ashes, Number 19:5)
b. Varies explanation of the skinning have occurred, but these are without biblical foundation.
1). Some suggest that Jesus gives us covering for sin.
2). Others suggest that the first animals killed after the sin of Adam and Eve, was to hide their nakedness and
shame.
3). Probably the only reason was to remove the stench of burning hair from the Tabernacle courtyard.
6. Stage Six: Dividing the Sacrifice Into Two Parts.
a. Done in covenant fashion or “covenant-renewing†ritual.
1). Hebrew for “making covenant†is: “KARATH BERITH†which literally means “to cut a covenant†(cf 2Chron
7:18; Haggai 2:5) The Hebrew word for covenant is “B’rithâ€Â
2). Genesis 15:9-15 is highly suggestive of this process.
a). Verse 5, 14,15 God promised Abrah many seed – as numerous as the stars of heaven.
b). Abram asked for confirmation – God had him take 1 heifer, 1 she goat, 1 male sheep, 1 dove and 1
pigeon – and then divide (cut) them in two parts.
c). Verses 17,18 – symbolically God “passed between the pieces in a pillar of fire.â€Â
d). In that day, God made a covenant with Abram.
3). Jeremiah 34:17-20 gives us further confirmation of this process of covenant making ritual.

NOTE: This same idea of “renewal†of covenant is carried over into the sacrificial system. It cannot be thought of as the making of a covenant, for the worswas ALREADY in covenant relationship with God. Therefore, it must have been for the purpose of commitment to the renewal and respect of the covenant.

7. Stage Seven: The Innards and Legs were Washed.
This was to remove excess blood and anything extraneous that might have gotten on the body.

8. Stage Eight: The Sacrificial Burning on the Altar.
“BURNING†IS THE HEBREW WORD, “KATAR.†… and means “to turn into smoke.†(not utterly burn up!)
a). This is the central stage of the Burnt Offering.
b). Verse 9 literally says in Hebrew, “…the priest shall burn as incense the whole on the altar for a burn-offering, a fire
offering of fragrance, soothing to Jehovah.†(keep in mind, “turning into smoke†is a SWEET SMELL to Jehovah)
c). Anything laid on the altar was directed to Jehovah.

I WANT TO COVER ONE MORE SACRIFICE THAT CORRESONDS TO THE BURNT OFFERING IN THIS STUDY… IT IS THE:

Continual Burnt Offering.

The continual burnt offering is found in Leviticus 6: 8-13.

A. Continual Burnt Offering For the Nation.
a. Offered twice daily – one each morning and anther each evening.
b. Offering consisted of a lamb, with cereal and drink offering (Ex 29; Numbers 28:5-7)
c. Intended to be a constant reminder and renewal of Israel’s consecration to God as His kingdom
d. A constant expression of worship to God and of the privilege of their fellowship with Him.

NOTE: The spiritually minded Jew would rise each morning and identify with the sacrifice and each evening renews his devotions to the Lord.
e. The fires on the altar of the continual Burnt Offering WERE TO NEVER GO OUT!
1). If those fires went out, it meant only one thing, Israel was in sin.
2). Christian, is your fire lit everyday? Does it go out? Do you present your body a living sacrifice? (Rom 12:1ff)
3). Consequences of letting the fire go out (2 Chron 29:7,8)
f. The ritual was basically the same as the individual burnt offering.
1). The purpose is consecration.
2). One exception – no laying on of hands in symbolic transfer of sin.
3). Even the marginal concept of atonement is absent.

FULFILLMENT OF THE BURNT OFFERING IN CHRIST.

Do Christians offer burnt offerings? No, not physically, but spiritually, YES!
A. Christians are to imitate Christ. (Eph 5:1,2)
B. We re to present our Bodies (Rom 12: 1,2) (as a “living sacrificeâ€Â…. THIS IS A SWEET SMELLING SACRICICE AND GOD SAYS, “I LIKE THAT!â€Â)

Therefore, Christians are expected to ascent the altar as an expression of praise and to allow the fires of their zeal and consecration for Jehovah God to ascend continually unto Him as fulfillment of the great Burnt Offering Sacrifice of Leviticus.

Your servant in Messiah, Yahshua
Charlesj

Good study. I can't wait until you go further in depth :D

The Burnt Offering can only be offered by the Jew who is IN FELLOWSHIP with the Father. Those who sin, MUST offer the proper sacrifice BEFORE they offer the Burnt offering. That is, if the sinner has violated any of the first five commandments of the law, then they are to offer a “Sin offeringâ€Â, while if they have broken any of the last five commandments, they are to offer a trespass offering. The first five commandments are for sins against God, while the last five are for trespasses (sin) against his fellowman (and God).

Can you elaborate this for me? I believe that the sin offering was two part correct? Some of the innards (incluing fat) was burned on the alter and the rest was completly burned outside the camp. In essence, wouldn't the fat burned at the alter be a burnt offering and if not, what did they call it?
Also, wasn't the blood still poured out at the base of the alter and why was some smeared on the horns?
I think I understand the symbology of the sin offering and why it couldn't be eaten in fellowship, but what offering relates to the passover lamb where again, the fat was offered as a burnt offering and the rest was eaten in the pressence of God in fellowship?

Also, I've got my own idea's why only God passed through the covenant and not abram, but I want to see what you have to say. Since covenants required both parties to walk between the animals that wer sacrificed, how do you think the Hebrews took that passage? I know we just gloss over it.

Did I miss any of that in your inital post or will you be getting to it later as the weeks progress?

Thanks!

I am interested too. I need to read this some more, I am a slow learner.
The Lord bless you, and thanks.

StoveBolts said:
Good study. I can't wait until you go further in depth :D

Can you elaborate this for me? I believe that the sin offering was two part correct? Some of the innards (incluing fat) was burned on the alter and the rest was completly burned outside the camp. In essence, wouldn't the fat burned at the alter be a burnt offering and if not, what did they call it?
Also, wasn't the blood still poured out at the base of the alter and why was some smeared on the horns?
I think I understand the symbology of the sin offering and why it couldn't be eaten in fellowship, but what offering relates to the passover lamb where again, the fat was offered as a burnt offering and the rest was eaten in the pressence of God in fellowship?

Also, I've got my own idea's why only God passed through the covenant and not abram, but I want to see what you have to say. Since covenants required both parties to walk between the animals that wer sacrificed, how do you think the Hebrews took that passage? I know we just gloss over it.

Did I miss any of that in your inital post or will you be getting to it later as the weeks progress?

Thanks!

Hello StoveBolts:

Wow, very good questions!

Yes, the sin offering was two parts: 1) Sin offering for offerers sin(s); once restoration was done, 2) Burnt offering was offered.

Innards (including fat) was “burned†on altar… take a look at the Hebrew word for “burn†here (QATAR) and it means “to turn into smokeâ€Â…which is “sweet smelling†to Jehovah.
The part that was taken “outside the camp†was burned (SARAPH, different Hebrew word!) … which means “to utterly burn up.â€Â

Don’t get the Passover in here… remember these Jews placed blood over their doorposts and the Lord Passed over them…. These are “covenant people.†The sacrificial system keeps them in fellowship with God. (This is what Christ does for us today, He has done it "once" for all time and sits at the right hand of the Father. 1 John 2:2 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

The sin-offering is brought to the Lord (by various groups), but in this case, I am speaking of an individual. This individual has lost fellowship with the Lord and now he brings a sin-offering… he is a sinner seeking restoration, he brings his sacrifice to the tent of meeting (Lev 4:4), he lays his hand (leans on him in Hebrew) and depends on this animal’s blood to obtain for him forgiveness. He thus assigns his sacrifice to die in his place. (I will write later on sins of the whole congregation etc)
This sinner confesses his sins (Lev 5:5) and the sinner THEN slays his own victim.(his victim will symbolically bear his guilt). Now the fat is removed and it is an “aroma pleasing to God.†God is pleased because “atonement†has been made.(He is pleased when sinners repent and return.) (see 1Jn1:9)

The blood placed “on the horns†which “was closer to God.†This blood was a “fragrance†to the Lord. It was brought to the most “elevated points to bring the atoning blood as near as possible to God and increases the atoning efficacy.
Notice in the Burnt Offering sacrifice where the blood is placed… on the lower sides of the altar which indicates that “atonement†wasn’t the main
issue here, but consecration. (I am not saying God ignores sin, but I am saying that in the “sweet smelling sacrifices†“atonement†isn’t the main focus.)

Remember, the sweet smelling sacrifices were done by others such as Noah etc… it’s a voluntary offering, NOT commanded. Only AFTER
Mount Sinai do you have the sacrifices that ARE COMMANDED (they are MOST HOLY) and are not SWEET SMELLING.

your servant in Messiah,
charlesj

Let's try to keep posts size down to the basics whenever possible.

9 - Please keep posts down to a respectable length and provide source and/or links for your info. We want to respect copyrighted material. Plus, you stand a better chance of getting your post read if it contains a link with an excerpt from source that's relative to your point.
Refrain from all caps and bold, large fonts. Hotlinking of photos is PROHIBITED! We have a thread which explains how to post a photo.

There are reasons for this that are over and above mere rules. We want to keep the database as tidy as possible to avoid problems in the future.

Thanks,
Vic

Hi, I am an old timer that has studied this 'most' all my life. (Christian one) So, when I see error taught, I just leave off the 'material' that is presented for study. So rather than to sift through what I would concur would be the devil's stuff, let me just ask an upfront simple question?

The Eternal Conditional Covenant of the Godhead (Hebrews 13:20) that They Themselves wrote & the Deut. 31 laws that Moses wrote which ended at the Vail going rent at the death of the Master. Galatians 3:19 Are you going to tell us that the Eternal one & the one Moses wrote both end? [Pacifically the Seventh-day Sabbath one] If that is the case, I would caution the signalling of a RED FLAG to the Forum readers.

I see that you also emphasize the word Jew much? Are you going to tell us that Abram was saved any other way than Obedient Faith, or Noah, or Adam & Eve?? Most here can readily see that Abram before he became Abramham was Obedient to all of the Masters [VERBALLY SPOKEN] requirements well before he became the father of many nations. That is why God choose him! Genesis 26:4-5 See the K.J. rendering. Forum: Even compare Genesis 12:1-5. (he was even a 'soul' winner in verse 5)

Just a couple up front questions that 'i' cautiously require before I stay tuned to perhaps an ex/covering cherubs 1/2 truth of very forceful errors! NO PERSONAL OFFENCE MEANT. :wink:

PS: Yes, just one more. :fadein: Are you the 'poster' from here who sent me at my 'home' email, but did not tell me who you are on 123 here??
As you can see, I truly believe in 2 Corinthians 4:2's 'UPFRONT/NESS'!

John the Baptist said:
Hi, I am an old timer that has studied this 'most' all my life. (Christian one) So, when I see error taught, I just leave off the 'material' that is presented for study. So rather than to sift through what I would concur would be the devil's stuff, let me just ask an upfront simple question? ]

I studied with an "ol' timer" the other day who has been a Jehovah Witness for 47 years. He wouldn't take any of my material either.
I wouldkn't really call this the "devil's stuff." I don't know where you are getting this.

John the Baptist said:
The Eternal Conditional Covenant of the Godhead (Hebrews 13:20) that They Themselves wrote & the Deut. 31 laws that Moses wrote which ended at the Vail going rent at the death of the Master. Galatians 3:19 Are you going to tell us that the Eternal one & the one Moses wrote both end? [Pacifically the Seventh-day Sabbath one] If that is the case, I would caution the signalling of a RED FLAG to the Forum readers. ]

If you want to deal with 7th day Sabbath, I would rather do it on another thread as I'm NOT dealing with it here. I am writing on the Sacrifical System. I will deal with it if you want, but it will have to be on another thread. BTW, it's VEIL not VAIL.

John the Baptist said:
I see that you also emphasize the word Jew much? Are you going to tell us that Abram was saved any other way than Obedient Faith, or Noah, or Adam & Eve?? Most here can readily see that Abram before he became Abramham was Obedient to all of the Masters [VERBALLY SPOKEN] requirements well before he became the father of many nations. That is why God choose him! Genesis 26:4-5 See the K.J. rendering. Forum: Even compare Genesis 12:1-5. (he was even a 'soul' winner in verse 5)

Again, "Jew" just like the Sabbath issue can be dealt with on another thread.
SALVATION HAS ALWAYS BEEN BY FAITH!

Just a couple up front questions that 'i' cautiously require before I stay tuned to perhaps an ex/covering cherubs 1/2 truth of very forceful errors! NO PERSONAL OFFENCE MEANT. :wink:

John the Baptist said:
PS: Yes, just one more. :fadein: Are you the 'poster' from here who sent me at my 'home' email, but did not tell me who you are on 123 here??
As you can see, I truly believe in 2 Corinthians 4:2's 'UPFRONT/NESS'!

Yes, I did email you from the forum instead of PM. I asked you if you were a 12 hour Sabbath keeper or a 24 hour Sabbath keeper. Here in Texas we have a lot of 12 hour Sabbath keepers... therefore I was just curious.
I DID TELL YOU MY HANDLE THAT I USE ON THIS FORUM... charlesj. (As an Ol' timer, like you, maybe you didn't have your glasses on....LOL)

May the Lord be with you.
Your servant in Messiah,
charlesj

Yea, no need for glasses, huh James? I thought that I recognized you!

And the Sabbath thought of mine was brought out because it is the forth command of the 'Eternal Covenant'. I guess your old Seventh-day Adventist teaching of the Sanctuary still has the Ark in the Most Holy Place in heavens Throne Room? Of Revelation 11:18-19 time/frame & PLACE. And surely for the Jews of Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 only huh, it does (does??) emphasis the Jew instead of the K.J. 'Whole duty of MAN.'
And the other side of the Vail that rent from top to the bottom making way into the Most Holy Place, where Christ is the High Priest for only the Jew, huh? You know, where the Ark of the Godheads Eternal Covenant is kept!

And they tell me on one thread here that the Falling Away ..
Never mind. Just do your thing.

---John

John the Baptist said:
Yea, no need for glasses, huh James? I thought that I recognized you!

And the Sabbath thought of mine was brought out because it is the forth command of the 'Eternal Covenant'. I guess your old Seventh-day Adventist teaching of the Sanctuary still has the Ark in the Most Holy Place in heavens Throne Room? Of Revelation 11:18-19 time/frame & PLACE. And surely for the Jews of Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 only huh, it does (does??) emphasis the Jew instead of the K.J. 'Whole duty of MAN.'

I'm not sure where you got that I was a 7th Day Adventist... NEVER WAS!

John the Baptist said:
And the other side of the Vail that rent from top to the bottom making way into the Most Holy Place, where Christ is the High Priest for only the Jew, huh? You know, where the Ark of the Godheads Eternal Covenant is kept!

John, I send you to school, I teach you all these things and you STILL say
"VAIL" instead of "VEIL." LOL

And they tell me on one thread here that the Falling Away ..
Never mind. Just do your thing.

---John[/quote]

Charlesj or John or anyone… (whoever wants to answer)

I’ve been reading Leviticus again…, trying to make sense of it in regard to the sacrificial regulations. Let me know if I’ve got this right.

Chapters 1 through 5 I believe outline the different types. I want to make sure that I’ve got this right.

First you have the peace offering. The fat is always burned as a sweet aroma to God and it has to be eaten by the second day else it becomes unclean.

Sin offering and a burnt offering. This is where I have some questions. I am speaking of large mammals here, not the birds let alone the grain offerings.

The sin offering is for sin. How the sin offering is instituted seems to me to depend on who the sin offering is in regard to. A burnt offering is always included with a sin offering (or what seems like almost all the other offerings as well).

The burnt offerings are just that. What is offered to God by fire, is consumed by the fire and if done in the right spirit, is transformed to a sweet aroma, pleasing to the Lord. Burnt offerings in regard to mammals include all the fat from the animal and the kidneys. I’m a little shaky on the pigeons off the top of my head [and too lazy to search it out at the moment].

The sin offering required for the priest is a bull and is not allowed to be eaten. After the priest places his hands on the head of the bull, he slaughters the bull, takes part of the blood into the tent of meetings and sprinkles the veil that separates the holy space from the most holy space and alter of incense, he comes out, sprinkles it on all four sides of the alter, pours the blood out at the base of the alter and then proceeds to burn the fat as prescribed (burnt offering). He is then to change into his common clothing, take the rest of the bull outside the the camp to the ‘clean’ area where the ashes from the alter are put. Once outside the camp, the entire bull is then burned on top of the ash heap. I do not believe this creates a pleasing aroma to the Lord as it is considered defiled but I could be wrong.

The same thing essentially happens with the sin offering by the priest for the people I believe with minor differences. (I’m doing this from memory).

When a sin offering is made by a person, he is to lay his hand upon the head of the animal and confess his sins upon the animal being offered. As prescribed, a burnt offering is then made with the fat and kidneys and then it seems to me that it becomes a peace offering which is to be eaten in fellowship. Most sin offerings were in this fashion and I think that the priest only did a sin offering for himself and for Isreal once a year as a tradition unless of course, something went awry.

Fellowship offerings were done in the same manner where the fat and kidneys were taken as a burnt offering and the rest of the meat was eaten as a meal. I kind of look at it as the people bringing their animals to the butcher and then sharing the meat after giving thanks to God.

For mention, the priest’s portion was always the right leg and breast of the animal and was usually a wave offering right?

Also, as a mention,
Leviticus 6:13 The fire shall ever be burning upon the altar; it shall never go out.
In context, this is the fire from the Lord and is still burning today.
Leviticus 9:24 And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.
And as a warning for this fire that will always burn,
Leviticus 10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
But that a different study right?

The Hebrew Sanctuary
The Illustrated Plan of Salvation

John here: Bolts + forum. You might find this below a good [SAVE] in your files for the future. As you can see, the pictures are not allowed on most forums. But you can go to the site & past them up.

This article will briefly explore the basic meaning behind the Hebrew Sanctuary, and how it reveals God's plan of Salvation for all of humanity. More specifically, we will be looking at the traveling, or portable Sanctuary, that Moses and the Israelites used following the giving of the law on mount Sinai. This Sanctuary was carried by the Israelites as they wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, until a more permanent structure could be built.

In Exodus 25 Moses is shown the plan for the Tabernacle or Sanctuary. This plan was a simplified version of the heavenly Sanctuary or Tabernacle, designed to reveal that Jesus Christ is our High Priest, our mediator, in the plan of salvation-

Exo 25:8 And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
Exo 25:9 According to all that I show thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.

The Sacrifice to atone for sin.
Once it was built and functioning, the first step in the Sanctuary services was the offering of a sacrificial animal. This could be any of various animals, including a bullock, goat, lamb, or turtle doves offered for sacrifice by the repentant sinner. The sinner, by transgressing the law of God, recognizes that he faces the prospect of death -

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death;...

The Sanctuary service provided an illustration of the way the sinner was to repent and atone for his sins. To bring home to the sinner the consequences of his sin, the sinner placed his hands on the head of the animal and confessed his sins to God. He was then required to slay the sacrificial animal by his own hand, as an offering for his sin, and collect the blood of the animal. This emphasized to the sinner that his transgression of the law of God was no small matter, and that death was the inevitable result. The animal that was sacrificed (usually a lamb) was symbolic for Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, offered as a sacrifice in our place, so that we as sinners do not have to die for our sins.

That was the full extent of the participation on the part of the sinner. From that point forward, all the rest of the service was conducted by a priest as mediator between the sinner and God. This was symbolic of Jesus our High Priest, our mediator between us and God the Father-

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The Brazen Altar of Burnt Offerings.
Exo 27:1-8, 38:1-7.

After confessing his sins over the animal and slaying it, the sinner let the priest as mediator take the lamb (or whatever animal was offered) and place selected portions of it (such as the fat, Lev. 4, 9) on the Brazen (Brass) Altar of Burnt Offerings, to be consumed by the flames. For those too poor to offer an animal, an offering of flour was permitted (Lev 5:11), which was also burned on the Altar. The Altar was constructed of Acacia wood, covered with brass. The Acacia wood symbolized the works of humanity, that but for the brass covering would be consumed by the fire. The brass was a symbol of suffering, so this Altar represented the suffering and death of Jesus Christ that covers and protects the repentant sinner from the divine fire of Judgment. The Altar had at each of its corners, a horn, representing the power, strength, honor, and victory of God. Before being sacrificed, the animal was secured to the horns of the Altar (Psa 118:27). Blood from the sacrificed animal was placed on the horns of the Altar by the priest, and any excess not used in the service was poured into it's base. The fire for the Brazen Altar of Burnt Offerings was a special divinely lit fire, that was started by fire coming down out of heaven (Lev 9:24). This symbolically represents the fire that will ultimately consume all sinners, known as the lake of fire in Revelation.

The Laver.
Exo 30:18-21, 38:8

Located between the Brazen Altar of Burnt Offerings and the Sanctuary, the Laver was a basin filled with water used for ritual cleansing. The Laver was made from the brass "looking glasses" (mirrors) of the women. Before handling the animal sacrifices brought by the people, the priest would have to cleanse his hands and feet with water from the Laver. This was symbolic of the act of baptism. Baptism is a declaration of the repentant sinner that he has been buried with Jesus Christ and resurrected with him as a new creature (Rom 6:4-13). The polished brass of the Laver is to be a "looking glass" revealing our sins, and showing us our need for a Savior, that we might be baptized and receive the righteousness that God offers us though His Son Jesus Christ. If the priest were to neglect this act of cleansing, he would be struck dead as a result (Exo 30:21). Why? Because to reject the cleansing righteousness of Jesus Christ is to die in one's own sin.

Justification
The Brazen Altar of Burnt Offering and the Laver were both outside of the Sanctuary proper, to the immediate east of the entrance. It was also in this area that the animals were slain for the services. These activities carried on outside the Sanctuary represented the process of justification and reconciliation of the sinner through the death of Jesus Christ on the cross, and the acceptance of that vicarious sacrifice of the Lamb of God by the repentant sinner.

The Golden Candlestick (Menorah).
Exo 25:31-39, 37:17-24.

Inside the Sanctuary itself, in what is known as the first apartment, or Holy Place, were three pieces of furniture. To the south side of the room was a large golden candelabra, or Menorah, that had six branches off of a central candlestick. The Menorah used pure olive oil as fuel. It was the job of the priests to daily trim the wicks (which were made of old priestly garments) and refill the bowls of oil, so that the Menorah would constantly be a source of light for first apartment or Holy Place. The Menorah represented Jesus Christ, who is the light of the world, and the olive oil was symbolic of the Holy Spirit and the wicks were symbolic of the righteousness of Christ. The Menorah also represents the seven churches of Revelation, who are to share the light of the gospel message with the rest of the world. It can be found in Revelation 1:12 and 4:5.

Sometimes the central candlestick is illustrated as being slightly taller than the others. The Menorah is also thought to be symbolic of the 7 days of creation, with the taller candlestick representing the Seventh - day (Saturday) Sabbath, the only week day that God sanctified (dedicated to a Holy purpose) -

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

On the right is the Menorah as illustrated on the arch of Titus in Rome. The Menorah and other articles from Herod's Temple were apparently taken as war booty by Titus in 70 A.D. after the siege and destruction of Jerusalem by Roman armies. The Israeli government recently asked the Vatican to search its vaults for the Menorah, so that should they have it, it might be returned to the Jewish nation. This is unlikely, since Rome was completely sacked and looted in 410 A.D. by the Visigoths, and again in 455 A.D. by the Vandals. Anything of value (such as a large solid gold candlestick) was probably taken.
Copyright by Instituto Geographico De Agostini S.p.A. - Novara - 1962

The Table of Showbread.
Exo 25:23-30, 37:10-16.

On the north side of the Holy Place was a small table known as the table of Showbread. It was constructed of Acacia wood and covered with gold. On it were kept 12 loaves of unleavened bread (Lev 24:5-9). These loaves were symbolic of Jesus, who is the bread of life (Jn 6:35), but they also represent the 12 tribes of Israel. Also kept on the Table of Showbread, were offerings of wine (Num 28:7), so both the bread and the wine of the Lord's supper were represented here. The Table of Showbread is alluded to in Revelation as a throne before the Candlestick, in chapter 4 verses 2-5.

The Golden Altar of Incense.
Exo 30:1-10, 37:25-29.

On the west side of the Holy Place, immediately before the veil separating the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place, was a small Golden Altar of Incense. In it was a brass pot, containing hot coals from the Brazen Altar of Burnt Offerings, and it was here that a very special blend of incense was burned by the priest, which filled the Sanctuary with a sweet smelling cloud, representing the prayers of the believers. On the day of atonement, blood from the lamb was put on the horns of the Golden Altar of Incense. The Golden Altar of Incense also figures prominently in the book of Revelation (Rev 8:3-5) with regard to the end of judgment, or close of probation on humanity.

Sanctification
The activities in the first apartment, or Holy place, represented the daily process of sanctification of the repentant sinner in preparation for the final judgment which occurred on the Day of Atonement, observed today as Yom Kippur.

The Veil of the Sanctuary
Exo. 26:31-33, 36:35, 2 Chron 3:14

This veil or curtain between the two apartments of the Sanctuary, the Holy and the Most Holy, has great significance. This is because it was this veil that tore at the very moment Jesus died on the Cross, symbolic of the end of the need for the human Levitical priesthood as mediator between man and God-

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Mark 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.
Luke 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

The veil represents the body of Jesus. It is only by passing through this veil that access is possible to the Most Holy place of judgment. The tearing of the veil is symbolic of the death of the Lamb of God, which now permits the believer in His atonement immediate access to the Most Holy place, of God, the place of judgment, through the new High Priest Jesus Christ, the one and only mediator between man and God.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The faithful have full and complete access to God, without the need of an earthly mortal priest to represent them.

The Ark of the Testimony of God.
Exo 25:10-22, 37:1-9.

This was a box constructed of Acacia wood covered with Gold. Inside it was kept the two tables of stone upon which the Law of God (The 10 Commandments) was written. Later it also contained Aaron's rod that budded, and a pot of manna. The lid of the Ark was called the Mercy Seat (Exo 25:17), and above it was where the glory of the Lord was present, between two covering cherubs, or angels, on either end of the Ark. The Mercy seat, or lid, represented Jesus Christ, the mediator for humanity between the Law of God, that requires the death of the sinner, and a merciful God. The High Priest was the only person allowed to enter the Most Holy place where the Ark was kept, and that was only on one day of the year, the Day of Atonement (known today as Yom Kippur).

The Ark of the Testimony from Solomon's Temple was secreted away before the Babylonian capture of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar and was never present in Herod's Temple. The armies of Titus found the Holy of Holies quite empty in 70 A.D. The Ark remains unlocated today, although there are numerous speculations about its whereabouts.

In Revelation (which was written about 95 A.D.), the Ark is seen in Chapter 11, verse 19. It is interesting to note that John is seeing the Ark of God in the heavenly Sanctuary, not the earthly Sanctuary (which was utterly destroyed in 70 A.D. by the armies of Rome).

Judgment
The activities on the day of Atonement symbolized the people of God, seeking representation by their High Priest Jesus Christ in the judgment, who met all the demands of the law perfectly and then was sacrificed for our sins. He paid the price for our disobedience, though he was perfectly obedient. The Hebrew Sanctuary illustrates that ultimately all humanity will be judged by the standards of God's Law. Those with faith will keep the Law perfectly through Jesus Christ. Those without faith will not have been able to keep the Law of God, and must die as a result. After all, the wages of sin is death. Since the Law of God could not be changed, Jesus died for us, in our place, to satisfy the Law.

By faith, we will take on the righteousness of Christ and be judged as keepers of the Law, with a right to the tree of life and eternal life.

Just as all Israel sought representation by the High Priest on that day, we should be fervently seeking our High Priest, Jesus Christ, to represent us in Judgment.

CONCLUSION

The Hebrew Sanctuary figures so prominently in the book of Revelation that you MUST understand the symbology of the Sanctuary and the yearly Sabbaths to really understand what John is trying to relate in Revelation. The Sanctuary is presented progressively in Revelation as follows-

The Golden Candlestick - Rev 1:12, 4:5
The Table of Showbread - Rev 4:2-5
The Golden Altar of Incense - Rev 8:3-5, 9:13
The Ark of the Testimony of God - Rev 11:19
The Temple closed to all men - Rev 15:8
Judgment ended, the fate of all people determined - Rev 22:11
Second coming - Rev 22:12
This shows a progressive sequence in Revelation leading to Judgment, the end of which is described in Revelation 8:3-5 with the throwing down of the golden censer, illustrating the conclusion of the mediation of the High Priest (Jesus Christ) on the behalf of all mankind.

So, if that is clear to you, then on what basis can anyone claim the Law of God, the Ten Commandments, the very focus of the Day of Atonement (Judgment Day), has been done away with? It is the very standard by which all humanity will be held accountable to God. It was by questioning, doubting, and then breaking God's Law that sin entered into the world in the first place. Those with faith will find mercy and atonement from God the Father through Jesus, and be restored to the prefall nature. Those without faith will face God's Law without an advocate, and the Law will condemn them to death. God's Law will stand unchanged and unyielding, the very character of God (love) expressed in words. The wicked will pay the price for their sins, and perish due to their lack of faith in Jesus, the one and only High Priest or mediator able to reconcile them with the Law of God, the Ten Commandments.

The entire Hebrew Sanctuary and it's related Sabbaths illustrated God's plan of salvation for all of mankind in a graphic way to reveal Jesus Christ as Savior and Redeemer.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

An Overview of the Traveling Hebrew Sanctuary.
The Illustrated Plan of Salvation.

(9) 2nd Apartment
The Holy of Holies
(8) The Ark of the Testimony of God containing the 10 commandments

(7) The Table of Showbread

(6) The Golden Altar
of Incense

(5) 1st Apartment
The Holy place

(4) The Golden Candlestick

(3) The Laver

(2) The Brazen Altar of Burnt Offerings

(1) The Sacrifice of the Lamb

The graphics of the sanctuary are adapted, with very minor revision, from an illustration by Tom Dunbebin.

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/

Hey John,
Thanks for the save, I'll print and read today at lunch possibly. I've studied the santuary as well from a book called, The Tabernacle, Camping with God. It was a pretty good book imho.

I really would like to just stick to some basic study though on the nuts and bolts of the sacrafices though. Maybe we can bring about their meanings later, but for now, lets get the foundation (milk) down first as I've found if we go right for the meat without the milk, it's pretty easy to go awry, right? :wink: .

Can you please respond directy to the post that I made?

John here:
Perhaps the 'milk' started with the requirement from God to Adam after his sin??? He was to offer the 'lamb' for what purpose? An even years later we see Cain & his 'choice' of a fruit offering?

But I suggest that there were no priest or hight priests doing this 'unpleasant' task? (Jewish priest in other words) You seem to come across as a tender person? (easy love/vrs/tough love) Was this a easy thing to do to kill an animal that had life, and that was surely cute & codling?

One can see that a person could get 'conscience' hardened perhaps in time by Christ/less LOVE, huh? (compare Revelation 3:16-17) Even having the Jewish priest doing the work that Adam & ones did their selves up to a certain time/period. Compare us of today from Hebrews 6:6, remembering the first five verses of Hebrews 1-5 of being MADE PARTAKERS OF THE HOLY GHOST.

I suspect that this might not answer any of your questions? But I am kind of dense of what you are asking it seems? You do say this fairly straight though? ...

Quote: "The burnt offerings are just that. What is offered to God by fire, is consumed by the fire and if done in the right spirit, is transformed to a sweet aroma, pleasing to the Lord. Burnt offerings in regard to mammals include all the fat from the animal and the kidneys. I’m a little shaky on the pigeons off the top of my head [and too lazy to search it out at the moment]."

Surely Adam was wealthy in early aspects of life, as was Abel & Cain. The offerings 'require' from were easily secured. But in the Israeli system there were folks who were poor. And the 'Clean' pigeon meat was most likely accessible to most of these.

But we know that 'any' of the sacrifices offered were not the purpose of these 'bottom line requirements', huh?

And yes, as today, Israel perverted the Everlasting Gospel plan! Instead of seeing in the execution, the Christ/God/Man, in the 'Lamb' offering as evidences of the exceeding sinfulness of sin, and their shunning of it, they considered the offerings a kind of payment for sinning! (like some teaching of works today!) Anyway, God sent the message of Isaiah 1:11 or Amos 5:22 as God wanted.. as you stated. (I think??) Or as in Micah 6:6-8

And by the way, Christ wants us to have a complete diet of Matthew 4:4!

The Master makes it very clear what He requires! 'IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS."

StoveBolts said:
Charlesj or John or anyone… (whoever wants to answer)

I’ve been reading Leviticus again…, trying to make sense of it in regard to the sacrificial regulations. Let me know if I’ve got this right.

Chapters 1 through 5 I believe outline the different types. I want to make sure that I’ve got this right.

Hello StoveBolts: (and John)

Burnt Offering = Lev 1:1-17; 6:8-13; 7:8; Exodus 29:38-46
Meal Offering = Lev 2:1-16; 6:14-23; 5:11,12; 23:9-22; Numbers 5:11-15.
Peace Offering = Leviticus 3:1-17; 11-36; 19:5-8; 22:21-25; Numbers 15-16; Deut 12:5-14.
Sin Offering - Lev 4:1-35; 5:1-14; 6:24-30; Nu9mbers 15:22-31 & exp 32-36; Deut 12:5-14
Trespass Offering - Lev 5:14-19; 6:1-7; &:1-7; Numbers 5:5-8
Day of Atonement - "Yom Kippur" - Lev 16:1-34; 23:26-32; Numbers 29:7-11.

...hope that helps a little. You should probably study the sacrifices in that order. (Might help)

your servant in Messiah, Yahshua
charlesj

p.s. John the B. -- thanks for the link.. I will look at it.

Back