Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Gospel of Mark (start)

Hi I just started reading this. I haven't delved deep yet I'm just reading it first to get the gist then I'll go back and have a more study approach.

I just keep noticing that Jesus refers to himself as a "messenger" of God and people proclaimed him as "the son of God". I also noticed Mark says that Jesus was able to command evil spirits because they "knew who he was" but he "told them not to tell anyone". Even John the baptist said at the start of Mark's gospel that "the messenger" will come.

I also think it's interesting Jesus said that all prophets are rejected in their home town, after Nazareth rejected him.

So. Baring in mind I haven't started to dissect and study this yet. But my initial impression is that Jesus pretended to merely be a messenger. The son of God. The evil spirits knew he was God but were commanded by Jesus not to tell man.

I have a feeling, either further in Mark's gospel OR in a different part of the bible this question may be answered but I'm curious so I'm asking here haha... why? Why didn't he just admit to being God directly?

Secondly, I notice the Sabbath is mentioned a lot and Jesus preached in a synagogue on this day multiple times. I've heard people say this on this website before so I think Jesus was a Jew? If he was a Jew why aren't all of us Jews? Why are we Christians? How do we know that is what he wanted?

I understand further study of the bible may answer this but I'm young and curious about these things.

Thanks guys :)

Oh and what happened when the ill young girl touched Jesus' clothing and was healed? He was surprised and trying to see who had touched him, and he felt something had "left him"? I'm curious what you guys' interpretation of this is.

Thanks everyone :study

Oh and what happened when the ill young girl touched Jesus' clothing and was healed? He was surprised and trying to see who had touched him, and he felt something had "left him"? I'm curious what you guys' interpretation of this is.

I don't think Jesus was surprised by what happened but He did want to know who it was that had the faith to believe all they had to do was touch His robe and they would be healed .
Mark 5
28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

I don't think Jesus was surprised by what happened but He did want to know who it was that had the faith to believe all they had to do was touch His robe and they would be healed .
Mark 5
28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
Thank you :) That makes much more sense haha

Why didn't he just admit to being God directly?

Jesus knew this would have to be spiritually discerned, and that many would simply choke all over themselves if He had told them this plainly, which is why He told even the demons to be silent about it. Even telling them openly that He was the Messiah was enough for the Jews to want to kill Him, and they eventually did.

It's important to understand the principle of not casting your pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6), lest they turn and tear you apart. People don't even want to hear the truth about their sin, let alone things that are more difficult to believe unless one has spiritual discernment.
If he was a Jew why aren't all of us Jews? Why are we Christians? How do we know that is what he wanted?

A natural Jew is born a Jew by his genealogy, and anyone who is not of the direct linage of Abraham through Isaac can therefore not be a Jew in the natural. All who are of the faith of Abraham, however, are what scripture refers to as "true" Jews after the heart, i.e. spiritual Jews, and that is where you and I come in.

And yes, He wanted us to become "Christians" because the word essentially meant "followers of Christ" or "followers of the Messiah," and this distinguished Christians from Judaism in that most Jews both then and today do not recognize Jesus to be the Messiah. Many don't even recognize Him as a prophet. They believe He was a spiritual imposter, and performed miracles by the power of demons (Matthew 12:22-30).

Hi I just started reading this. I haven't delved deep yet I'm just reading it first to get the gist then I'll go back and have a more study approach.

I just keep noticing that Jesus refers to himself as a "messenger" of God and people proclaimed him as "the son of God". I also noticed Mark says that Jesus was able to command evil spirits because they "knew who he was" but he "told them not to tell anyone". Even John the baptist said at the start of Mark's gospel that "the messenger" will come.

I also think it's interesting Jesus said that all prophets are rejected in their home town, after Nazareth rejected him.

So. Baring in mind I haven't started to dissect and study this yet. But my initial impression is that Jesus pretended to merely be a messenger. The son of God. The evil spirits knew he was God but were commanded by Jesus not to tell man.

I have a feeling, either further in Mark's gospel OR in a different part of the bible this question may be answered but I'm curious so I'm asking here haha... why? Why didn't he just admit to being God directly?

Secondly, I notice the Sabbath is mentioned a lot and Jesus preached in a synagogue on this day multiple times. I've heard people say this on this website before so I think Jesus was a Jew? If he was a Jew why aren't all of us Jews? Why are we Christians? How do we know that is what he wanted?

I understand further study of the bible may answer this but I'm young and curious about these things.

Thanks guys :)
Why didn't he just admit to being God directly?
Jesus stated this maam: Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. Jesus is that son, not God.
If he was a Jew why aren't all of us Jews? Why are we Christians? How do we know that is what he wanted?
Jesus was a Jew in nationality, a descendant of Abraham particularly through the tribe of Judah where the term originated. By Jesus' day, God's people over time had been called by many names, Jews being one of them, and were generalized by the term.

Jesus fulfilled the covenant God's people were living under by his death. On the night of his death, he instituted a new covenant with his faithful apostles, and these to the people were called Christians because they no longer recognized the authority of the leadership of the people of God under law. Acts 11:26 We have been called Christians ever since Prim.

I think Jesus' questioning who touched Him was more of a rhetorical question. I believe He knew precisely who it was that touched His cloak but He wanted her to come forward and admit it. In so doing she would verbally express her faith in Him. I also believe that when Jesus said, "Your faith has made you well" (NKJV) He was speaking about more than just her physical affliction and was speaking about her spiritual health. In other words, her faith saved her.

In Romans 10:9 Paul made this reference.

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. NKJV

In the book of Mark Jesus is presented as an active, compassionate and obedient Servant who constantly ministers to the physical and Spiritual needs of others. Because this is a story of a Servant Mark omits Jesus' ancestry and birth and moves right into His busy public ministry. The distinctive word of this book is "euthus", translated immediately or straightway and it appears more often in the book of Mark then any other gospels in the NT. Christ is constantly moving toward a goal that is hidden to almost everyone. Mark clearly shows the power and authority of this unique Servant Redeemer identifying Him as no less the Son of God.

(Copied from the Open Bible the Christ of Mark and introduction to Mark)

I didn't notice this question, but WIP's answer was good. The Greek word used there was δύναμις, pronounced "dunamis," from which we get "dynamite" today. It refers to the supernatural power of God, which is tangible when present to greater amounts.

His statement was, "I felt power go out from Me," which meant that He tangibly felt a portion of the Spirit of God go out from Him and transfer over to her to heal her.

Back