Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is our answer in times of need.

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

The Gospel

When God created the heavens and the earth, the plants, animals, and mankind He was pleased with what He had done, calling it "very good." He placed mankind (Adam & Eve) in the garden of Eden and told them to "be fruitful and multiply." They had nothing to fear, food for the taking, and everything they needed. In other words, it was the good life, a true eutopia. There was one condition from God, "Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Genesis 2:16-17 KJV

One day Eve was enticed by a serpent (Satan) to eat of the tree telling her it would make her as a god. She gave in to the temptation and Adam who was with her also did the same (Gensis 2:1-7). That is when sin entered the world. Their desire for personal satisfaction over that of God was their undoing and consequently ours (Romans 5:12). We have inherited hat same desire to be our own gods and think we no longer need God in our lives. Because of our sin we deserve death for the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

God is perfect and just, and He cannot exist along with sin and demands justice. A justice that He commands can only come through a blood sacrifice (Leviticus 17:11). God in His love and mercy sent His only Son to be that perfect and final sacrifice on our behalf and then rise again proving that He had overcome death.

The good news is that Jesus invites all of us who believe and trust in Him to be risen to eternal life with Him in heaven as He said, "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17 NKJV

And...

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV

The good news is that we all can be saved if we humble ourselves, let go of our pride, and turn to Him, "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:3-4 NKJV

Last edited:
I heard one time that if it's not good news it's probably not the Gospel. So what is the Gospel?

Greetings, Nimblewill!

Personally, the word "gospel" was Paul's term, and I think the good news was contained in what he said to the Ephesians; that the Gentiles have now been joined to the household of God, and will inherit all the same promises in eternity:

11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

3 ...And by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. (Ephesians 2-3)

Blessings in Christ, and welcome to our forum!
- H

I heard one time that if it's not good news it's probably not the Gospel. So what is the Gospel?
Here is the Gospel according to the Bible.....

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Authorized (King James) Version

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The Gospel (Good News) is that Jesus died for our sins, He was buried and He rose again !!
DEATH / BURIAL / RESURRECTION

The Gospel of Christ Jesus being Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is that of the good news of God's redeeming mercy and grace through Christ Jesus we can have eternal life with Him.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Often, these days, the Gospel is offered in a hyper-reduced form which is, I think, far too reduced. A good, more complete - but larger - conception of the Bible is offered in amalgamation of what's been offered to you so far. I would add to what's been said that the Gospel is the Good News, not merely of escape from God's eternal, holy wrath, but of everlasting fellowship with Him (2 Corinthians 5:21; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3; Romans 5:6-10). The Gospel also isn't merely the obtaining of "fire insurance," but is the offer of an exchange: My old self-centered, sinful life, bound under the power of the World, the Flesh and the devil (Ephesians 2:1-3; Titus 3:3), given up for a new life and identity in Jesus Christ lived in the power of the Holy Spirit who dwells within me (2 Corinthians 5:17; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; John 14:26; Romans 8:9-16).

Jesus preached "repent and believe the gospel." So gospel means good news, but it is not merely "good news." There must be repentance, because the gospel narrative includes the bad news, that is, the plight of man's true spiritual condition. Paul wrote in Eph. 2 that we were all "by nature children of wrath." So everyone is called to repent from their sins, because part of the good news is that by faith in Jesus (the Healer) we can be delivered from sin, and as a result have hope of eternal life. Eph. 2:8-10 says, "for by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, that no one should boast; for we are His workmanship, created in Jesus Christ for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Peter wrote, "He bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness, for by His wounds we are healed." Therefore, the gospel briefly is: Jesus came to deliver us from sin so that we could live forever with Him.

It’s the good news built around Jesus as being deific and human and anointed by God the father to defeat death and by the spirit to transform those who enter his community into his holiness and understanding as children knowing his father as their father.

Can I try to observe the effects of God's miracles without it being a doubt?
Does God stop granting your prayer if you have a temporary disbelief that He is granting it? That He will grant it?

Back