Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Great Apostasy

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

golfjack

Let's see what Paul has to say about the Great Apostacy in 2 Thess. 2:1-12.

Verse 1. Now, bretheren, concerning the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2. not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.

In verse 1, Paul is comparing the rapture with the Second Coming. In verse 2, Paul is assuring them that Jesus did noty come again yet. I believe they were confused to what Paul said in 1 Thess 4:13-18. Also see what Jesus said in Matt. 24:4, Jesus said Take heed that no one deceive you.

Verse 3, Let no one deceive you by any means; for that day will not come unless the falling away first, and the mman of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4. who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

I believe there is a few things that we should notice here in these 2 verses. Paul talks about falling away first. I believe this falling away is the rapture. Then with an and Paul says thast the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, Paul is referring to a time when the ant-christ comes to set up his kingdom and finally Satan enters into him to sayn he is God.

Verse 5: Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?

Here Paul is trying to assure them that they didn't miss anything that was told to them in 1 Thess.

Verse 6. And you know what is restraing, that he may be revealed in his own time. 7. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who mnow restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way.

What Paul is saying here is that the enemy will be here until he he is cast into the pit and destroyed ( verse 8).

Verse 9: The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10. and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12. that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Paul said that Satan would be able to do wondorous works. They were not saved. God will send strong delusion that they should believe the lie, and eventually they are condemned. I believe this is a pretty strong statement for people now to accept Christ before it is too late.

Therefore, people in the Great Apostacy pertains to unbelievers during the tribulation. What we are seeing today is a walk in the park compared to the great tribulation, when all hell will break loose. The good news is that if one iis saved, we will not be around and this fact is what Paul was assuring them at Thess.

May God bless, Golfjack

golfjack said:
I believe there is a few things that we should notice here in these 2 verses. Paul talks about falling away first. I believe this falling away is the rapture.
It's quite the opposite actually. "Falling away" comes from the Greek apostasia, which means "rebellion", "apostasy", "defection", "a falling away". This the falling away of believers from the faith, not the union of believers with Christ.

2Th 2:1 Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers,
2Th 2:2 not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.

Paul is warning believers not to believe the error that some were saying that the Christ had already come or was about to come. His proofs against this error were:

2Th 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
2Th 2:4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

1) An apostasy of believers, and 2), the revealing of the antichrist.

Thanks Destiny and Free for you comments. My conclusions about the falling away were wrong. However, I do believe in the rapture and admit that is possible for a Church or an individual person to be an Apostate. I see a lot of this going on in the church world today. We only need to look at some denominations today. For example, what about churches that ordain gay ministers? Any church that has strayed from the Truth of the Word is in grave danger. This toipic I believe has many moveable parts and needs further discussion. Now, individual Apostacy is hard to discern. I would say that if one is honestly striving for Spiritual growth is OK. The danger is if one doesn't stay on course, he could actually harden his heart and turn away from God and really go back into the world. But, we do still have forgiveness out there by using 1 John 1:9.

May God bless, Golfjack

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back