Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Last One Hundred Years

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Many of the students of eschatology have studied prophesies and Scripture and are comparing them to current events. I was just surfing a web site that lists major events in recent history. The past hundred years or so. I was wondering if any of you who are interested in the End Times and Bible Prophecy have made any comparisons in this area.
Some of the things that I had listed that I wondered if there were a prophesy related to it:

WWI
Margaret Sanger opens a birth control clinic
Balkan Wars (1912–1913)
The Great Depression
The Dust Bowl
WWII
Hitler / Nazi Germany
The Holocaust
The Scopes Trial
The inventions and progression of television, movies, telephones, computers, automobiles, airplanes
The space program
Stalin
Lenin
Israel becoming a nation
The Six Day War
The Persian Gulf War
The life and death of John Kennedy
The life and death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
SALT Treaty
Vietnam
Nixon's visit to China
Watergate
NATO
The Cuban Missile Crisis
Roe v Wade
Chernobyl

...or any other event that may have been in the news in recent history that might line up with a prophetic Scripture. There have been posts suggesting many things that came to pass in ancient history, I just thought it would be interesting to look for some of the things that have come to pass recently, or could be a type of things to come.

Hmm, considering the possibility that some or most of Revelation is futuristic...

Hitler / Nazi Germany
The Holocaust
... could be a reference to the seventh "king" of Rev 17:10.

I'd be interested in the historical interpretation of this verse. 8-)

Vic,
It could be. I figure that it has to be mentioned in prophesies somewhere.

It is hard to imagine that Jewish prophets could see the future and never mention Hitler or the holocaust.

Vic C. said:
Hmm, considering the possibility that some or most of Revelation is futuristic...

... could be a reference to the seventh "king" of Rev 17:10.

I'd be interested in the historical interpretation of this verse. 8-)

That would be Galba:

1. Julius Caesar (49-44 BC)
2. Augustus (31BC- AD 14)
3. Tiberius (AD 14-37
4. Gaius a.k.a. Caligula (AD 37-41)
5. Claudius (AD 41-54)
6. Nero (AD 54-68)
7. Galba (AD 68-69)
8. Otho (AD 69)
9. Vitellius (AD 69)
10. Vespasian (AD 69-79)
11. Titus (AD 79-81)
12. Domitian (AD 81-96)

Notice his short reign of just a few months.

10They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for a little while.

*head spins* :)

Ok but Daniel told king Neb. "YOU ...O king...."

did not the 'kings' also represent the empires ? the Beasts ?

Re 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit
Existed, gone, and returning ! right ?

Re 17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
How many "world class" empires has there been
1, Babylon ...............1, fell
2, Egypt ..................2, fell
3, Assyria ...............3, fell
4, Medo-Persia .........4, fell
5, Greek/Macedonia ..5, fell
6, Rome .................6, changed into 10 EU ..the dragon of Dan., 7 hds, 10 horns
7, American .............7, rising..........................the Rev. beast, 7 hds, 10 horns, 10 crowns

Re 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

"And the beast that was, and is not" .. "6", Rome/10 imperial ..."even he is the eighth, and is of the seven

#7 rises to world empire and then begins wearing #6's face !

*lol.... head spins more * comments and corrections please

james1959 said:
....*lol.... head spins more * comments and corrections please

All of the things listed in the above posts took place over a hundred years ago. None of the things listed could be considered 'recent history'. Other than that...

Gabbylittleangel said:
All of the things listed in the above posts took place over a hundred years ago. None of the things listed could be considered 'recent history'. Other than that...

:sad I am sorry sunshine, i did not mean to lead the thread off, I guess I just sort of flowed with the posts. :-?

I would think that the Holocaust and major wars would be found in scripture, especially by now, but I also think "end-times" will fall more under "existing conditions" than ...."marks" in time.

Thanks for at least reading my post BTW !

no problem 8-)

It does not look as if anyone else has considered any of these events either. Hopefully it will inspire someone to do a bit of study.

I tend to believe that there were things that took place in WWII, but we have somehow attributed these verses to some future event. I also believe that the prophets, being Jews, would have been intensely interested in WWII, and would have written of the Holocaust.

One verse that I have wondered about is this one:

Zec 14:12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

I have heard WWII stories. There are reports that when the bombs dropped in Japan that this was the effect on people.

Gabbylittleangel said:

Zec 14:12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

I have heard WWII stories. There are reports that when the bombs dropped in Japan that this was the effect on people.
Gabby, I have to ask; what was Japan's involvement with the Jews and more specifically, against the Jerusalem?

Gabbylittleangel said:
no problem 8-)

It does not look as if anyone else has considered any of these events either. Hopefully it will inspire someone to do a bit of study.

I tend to believe that there were things that took place in WWII, but we have somehow attributed these verses to some future event. I also believe that the prophets, being Jews, would have been intensely interested in WWII, and would have written of the Holocaust.

:) I would definitely agree that that sounds like a nuke's vaporizing effect
(now, i am not argumentive so understand that this is more "asking") ;-)

Lots of peoples have fought Jerusalem sinse WWII --- ALL ???
Flesh
Eyes
and Tongues will be consumed --- eyes and tongues 'are also' flesh, No ?
what else could these "three" things mean to us ?
could it be our "sences" vanish, or "reasoning" ? something to that effect?

Zec 14:13 goes on to discribe utter lawlessness ....IMO

Zec 14:13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the LORD shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour.

Thoughts anyone?

Good points guys. That is why I am asking.

Is it possible that six million Jews died, as well as multitudes of other people, and none of the prophets said anything about it?

Mostly for preterists, but others can "listen in:"

I believe there is a "crossing point," from history to future, in the book of Revelation, and in the Olivet discourse.

For example, John was called to heaven to see future events, so that he could write about them, and so we could read. That event, John being called up to heaven, happened around 95 AD. If you chose an earlier day, that is ok. That is, of course, history to us. For those that believe it, part of Revelation is future to us. For example, the city of New Jerusalem has not come down to earth; neither has a "new earth" come. Most of us believe that many events in Revelation are future to us. Therefore, there is a "crossing point" from the past, what is history to us now, to events future to us now.

I believe that crossing point is between the fifth and sixth seal. We are now waiting for the rapture of the church, and the sixth seal, which will be the fulfilling of OT prophecies of the beginning of the "day of the Lord."

Therefore, all the events after the 6th seal, are future to us: the 7 trumpets, and the seven vials and judgements. Finally, the second coming of God, after the 7 years of trouble.

Therefore, there is yet the revealing of the lawless one, after the church is gone. He was seen by John as a beast (from Daniel, a king with a kingdom), with seven heads and ten horns.

What were "heads" in Daniel?

After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard, which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl; the beast had also four heads; and dominion was given to it.

We know that the four heads represented the four "kings" that took over after Alexander died. Each "king" had a kingdom.

What did the horns represent? One of the "horns" in Daniel was Antiochus Epiphanes. He ruled a kingdom. Therefore, the seven head and ten horns all represent kings or leaders of nations, and their respective kingdoms or nations.

It would seem VERY unlikely, considering the book of Daniel, and this fact of kings and kingdoms, that these seven head were all from one kingdom. It is much more likely that there are seven different kingdoms that all persecuted Israel.

This persecution started with Egypt, then Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and finally, Rome.

John wrote that five of these "heads" had fallen. In 95 AD, which five had fallen? Of course, The ancient EGypt and Pharoh had fallen big time, as we saw Charlton Heston portray it. Next, Assyria fell to Babylon. Then Babyon fell to Darius the Mede. But Darius was defeated by Alexander the Great, so all those land areas were controlled by Greece. Over the centuries, the last of the Greecian empire was defeated by Rome.

John said, "one is," meaning that one of the heads was concurrent with John's life. That was Rome.

Then there was one head still in the future that would be a very short lived one. This would be the seventh. These are all before the antichrist, so he cannot be called the seventh. In fact, he is the eighth.

So from the time of Rome to now, what nation or country persecuted the Jews, and remained only for a short time? Only HItler and his "kingdom" fits this.

So we have the seven empires that this antichrist will rise to power on. But all these empires have long since disappeared! The land areas are still there, and people still live there. However, all these areas of these ancient empires are Muslim nations!

One "head" received a deadly wound. Remember, the "head" is a kingdom with a king. What modern country has received a fatal blow to the king and his kingdom? None other than Iraq! Sadaam Hussein was ousted and his Muslim empire is gone - for now. It is very interesting to me that he is still alive! I will not be surprised if some how, some day, Sadaam Hussein is back in power! If not him, then another Muslim leader of Iraq. I just cannot see Iraq being anything other than a Muslim nation; one on which the antichrist will use for his rise to power.

Coop

Gabbylittleangel said:
I just thought it would be interesting to look for some of the things that have come to pass recently, or could be a type of things to come.
One of the most recent things is global warming and the storms that has caused. Most of our weather is caused by the difference in the temperature between the poles and the Equator. Both the difference in water and air temperature. The average world temperature is only 1 degree warmer, but that is enough to cause ice to melt and areas to be flooded.

Global warming is caused when we burn fossil fuel. Carbon Dioxide has been stored in that fuel and it becomes released back into the atmosphere when the fuel is burned or converted back into energy. This causes a green house effect where the atmosphere holds more heat on the earth.

Back