Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Lies We Tell Ourselves.

Tenchi

Psalm 139:23-24
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

Perhaps in no other way are we so pathological, so self-destructive, than in our self-deceptions, in the stories we tell ourselves, and justifications we make, in order to enable our selfishness and sin.

“My husband is a miserable, childish idiot,” the frustrated wife declares. “I have to constantly pick up after him, think for him, and endure his continual complaining. And so,” she concludes, “I have good cause, even the right, to despise him, and snap at him angrily, and issue ultimatums, manipulating him into doing what I want.” It all makes perfectly good sense to her – especially when, every day, her husband gives her fresh cause to think as she does. Can’t he see that he ought to be more like her? If he would just do things her way, everything would be fine.

On his side, this woman’s husband thinks his wife a miserable shrew, an ugly, barking creature, domineering and impatient. “I have every right to hate her,” he reasons. “She treats me like a child, disrespecting me, arguing against everything I say, and bossing me around.” In light of these things, he is certain that he has the best of grounds upon which to stand in his resentment of, and frustration with, his nasty spouse. And daily, she offers new offense to him, strengthening his bitterness. If she would just be more like him, they’d get along perfectly! Why can’t she see this?

And so, when they aren’t pointedly ignoring each other, this husband and wife are compounding their hurts, with planks of vicious words and bitter actions, building up the barriers between them, settling deeper and deeper into a relationship of awful unhappiness and pain, wondering how they got into such an excruciating mess and wishing desperately to get out.

----​

Twenty-something Edward loves to bash out marathon sessions on his PS5, sitting alone in his one-room apartment, curtains drawn, lights off, totally absorbed in the hyper-stimulating sights and sounds of his favorite video game. He’s stopped wondering if being alone so much is bad for him; he’s stopped thinking about how fiercely he desires to game and what it might mean; he’s stopped considering what other more productive and life-building things there might be to do. Mostly, the sound and fury of gaming keeps Edward from such introspection, but when he has to take a bathroom break, or grab something to eat from the fridge, he does so as quickly as he can, his mind fixed on what he’ll do next in the game.

But, life intrudes, eventually, and when it does, Edward tells himself things about his gaming obsession like, “Who cares if I love to game? No one misses me. No one needs me.” Edward knows this isn’t true; his parents love him dearly and often urge him to leave off his PS5 and interact with them. But Edward feels they’re too much like NPCs, flat, boring and repetitive, nowhere near as exciting as shooting aliens, or killing dragons. When he’s filling gas tanks at the gas station where he works, Edward sees the dreariness of the world, the tediousness of it, the lack of color, and sound, and stimulation that he encounters in-game, and reasons that the game world is better, more enriching, healthier for his brain, because it blasts him constantly with highly-stimulating input.

Although outside of gaming, Edward’s life has constricted to the bare necessities, has emptied of friends, and though he has ceased to care about a career, or marriage, or growing intellectually and experientially, he denies that it matters, telling himself that life is, above all, about being happy. And nothing makes him happier than gaming for sixteen hours straight.

---​

Kimberley loves her boyfriend, Alton. She knows it’s real love because she has given herself sexually to him. Many times, in fact. Often, it seems to Kimberley, sex is all Alton is interested in when they’re together. But the amazing intimacy they share when having sex and the pleasure of the act has bound Kimberley tightly to Alton and she is sure he must be likewise bound to her – though, he doesn’t say so unless Kimberley presses him to…

Kimberley knows, deep down, that she is doing something wrong when she has sex with Alton. She has worked up a countering series of arguments, though, to suppress this sense of wrongness, which is always especially strong after she and Alton have been intimate: Love is the ultimate good, isn’t it? She and Alton love each other with a towering passion, with wild intensity, so there’s nothing wrong in what they are doing sexually. Sex is totally natural, too, and what is natural can’t, by definition, be wrong. Not doing what is natural is unnatural, isn’t it? And the unnatural is always unhealthy. Why, then, should Kimberley restrain her natural sexual desires when she’s with Alton, whom she loves? Besides, everybody’s doing it. Even kids just new to puberty are sexually-active. Like her Sex-Ed teacher tells them: Sex is normal.

Of course, a part of Kimberley is dully-aware that she’s being facile in her reasoning, that she’s not testing, or even inspecting, the truth of these arguments with any real care, or seriousness. Caught up in the sweeping torrent of youthful lust and the searing flames of a first romance, Kimberley has no interest in discovering that her pangs of conscience (now very weak and faint) were right. Though Kimberley knows kids her age who have been utterly crushed by love-lost and driven to suicide; or who’ve grown hard and cynical about sex instead, treating it as a purely physical act akin to going to the toilet, devoid of beauty or meaning, using others as mere tools for sexual pleasure; or who’ve gotten pregnant and killed – oops, aborted - their baby; or who’ve been infected by gross diseases; she is confident none of these things will happen to her. The profound love she and Alton share will be proof against any and all such possibilities.

----​

Mario is convinced that Shirley Johnson, the Sunday morning worship leader, is a complete fake. Her fancy outfits, and dignified manner, and constant smile are the veneer of a hypocrite. Nobody is ever as nice, and joyful, and spiritual as they are at church on Sunday morning. Mario sure isn’t and he’s certain what’s true of him is more or less true of everyone else. So, it really rankles him when Shirley Johnson puts on spiritual airs, speaking so enthusiastically of Christ, singing so happily about God, when she’s on stage. Mario sees right through her fakery.

It doesn’t matter that Shirley Johnson always greets him pleasantly, listening intently to his responses and talking with him about what he’s said. Sure, she looks like she cares but that’s what hypocrites do, right? Nothing is real with her; it’s all just a put-on.

Of course, Mario doesn’t actually know what the rest of Shirley Johnson’s life is like. But as his own life reveals, God is just an idea, a distant, shadowy figure threatening everybody and ruining their fun. There’s no way, then, that Shirley Johnson actually loves God. What’s to love? No, Shirley Johnson is just as miserable, just as much a mask-wearer, on Sunday morning as Mario. It makes him sick.

Occasionally, Mario will feel that maybe he’s being unfair to Shirley Johnson, that he’s too sure about her deep hypocrisy. To think she’s actually joyful in God all the time, though, that she’s just as nice, just as God-centered, on Monday as she is on Sunday, makes Mario deeply uncomfortable. Who is Shirley Johnson to make others feel condemned, to feel inferior to her, in their experience of God? That’s just what hypocrites do.

----

Continued below.

Every long-embittered spouse, or addict, or lust-addled youth, or resentful hypocrite, is the product of self-deception. So naturally eager to justify sin are we, so disposed are we to seeking our own way rather than God’s, that, apart from Him, we have no hope of walking in the clarity, freedom and blessing of His truth.

Isaiah 53:6
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all

Romans 3:10-12
10 as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”

Titus 3:3
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.

Here’s the unflattering truth about us: We are “wandering sheep”; all of us have “turned aside” into sin; we are by nature “foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures.” And so, King David cried out for God to search him and try him, to examine his mind and heart for the wicked self-deceptions that foul us all. This is the only route to genuine freedom from our pathological habit of lying to ourselves. Only God knows, not only the truth about us hidden beneath our self-deceptions, but the full Truth of Reality to which He intends we should be conformed. If we won’t apply to Him for examination and supernatural diagnosis about ourselves, and for revelation of His Truth, we have no hope of winning free of our self-lies and the sin and destruction that inevitably follow. And corruption, destruction and death will follow – God has promised that it will.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death…

Galatians 6:7-8
7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption…

James 1:15
15 …sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

2 Peter 2:12-13
12 But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction,
13 suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing. They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions...

In light of these things, we have extremely high incentive to be liberated from the selfish lies we constantly shape and adopt in order to sin. Like King David, this can only occur by way of humbly subjecting ourselves to divine scrutiny and by faith waiting on God to illuminate our minds and hearts to the truth about ourselves and about His Truth.

It is not only freedom from the harms of sin that ought to motivate the believer to seek divine inspection, but also the rich blessings of a life ordered by, and conformed to, The Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). As C.S. Lewis pointed out, God makes us “unblushing promises” in His word, motivating our pursuit of Him.

Psalm 16:11
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Deuteronomy 30:19
19 "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live…

Matthew 11:28-30
28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

John 10:10
10 "… I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Ephesians 1:3
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,

Will you follow the example of King David, called by God “a man after His own heart,” and place yourself under the liberating “searching” and “testing” of your holy Maker? Would you be free and blessed, enjoying the fullness of joy that can be yours in fellowship with God? Or will you persist in a life of lies, of imbibing the sweet poison of self-deception that tastes wonderful on the tongue but blackens and rots the stomach? You make a choice between these things every day.

Proverbs 12:1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
Proverbs 12:2 A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn.

James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Each one of us needs to examine ourselves that we may always be pleasing to the Lord.

Proverbs 12:1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
Proverbs 12:2 A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn.

James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Each one of us needs to examine ourselves that we may always be pleasing to the Lord.

Uh, this kind of missed the point of the OP. King David didn't examine himself but asked God to examine him. Of the two of them - David or God - who do you think would do a better examination? My money's on God. King David seemed to be of the same view.

Uh, this kind of missed the point of the OP. King David didn't examine himself but asked God to examine him. Of the two of them - David or God - who do you think would do a better examination? My money's on God. King David seemed to be of the same view.
You misunderstood what I was saying. Yes, just like David we ask God to examine ourselves, but we also need to police ourselves, especially within the words we speak to others that need to build up and not tear down another like those examples you gave. In many things we let our emotions deceive us without thinking before we speak, especially when we speak in anger as I am sure we all do at times.

You misunderstood what I was saying. Yes, just like David we ask God to examine ourselves, but we also need to police ourselves, especially within the words we speak to others that need to build up and not tear down another like those examples you gave. In many things we let our emotions deceive us without thinking before we speak, especially when we speak in anger as I am sure we all do at times.

Well, as my OP pointed out, we are all of us laboring under various and deep self-deceptions that only God can reveal to us. We are often so much bound by our false narratives that we are entirely blind to the truth. Policing myself, then, is a lot like letting a criminal prosecute and sentence himself: I will protect my self-deceptions, maintain them; they are my self-deceptions, after all, and serve me in some selfish way, which is why I have adopted them as "truth." And so, every day, I'm looking to God to "search me and try me." As He does, it's sometimes painful, but always revelatory and surprising. My inclination toward selfishness can be very strong! Just ask my wife.

As Jesus explained, human beings are very eager to point at the mote in another's eye while ignoring the beam in their own. No one is an exception to this state-of-affairs; not me, not you, not anyone. At various times and ways, we go around with logs sticking out of our eyes while trying to perform micro-surgery on the dust speck in someone else's eye. Why? Why do we do this? How is it that we can't recognize the log in our eye when it's there? As far as I can see (no pun intended), it's because we are all so prone to self-deception. And so, I observed this in my OP, making the case for not policing ourselves but, like the Psalmist, calling on God to do so.

I do appreciate, though, that you want to inspect and evaluate your motives for things. That's a big step in the right direction - one many can't bring themselves to take until the pain of their self-deceptions force them to. We really are very wayward sheep, aren't we?

Psalm 139:23-24
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

Perhaps in no other way are we so pathological, so self-destructive, than in our self-deceptions, in the stories we tell ourselves, and justifications we make, in order to enable our selfishness and sin.

“My husband is a miserable, childish idiot,” the frustrated wife declares. “I have to constantly pick up after him, think for him, and endure his continual complaining. And so,” she concludes, “I have good cause, even the right, to despise him, and snap at him angrily, and issue ultimatums, manipulating him into doing what I want.” It all makes perfectly good sense to her – especially when, every day, her husband gives her fresh cause to think as she does. Can’t he see that he ought to be more like her? If he would just do things her way, everything would be fine.

On his side, this woman’s husband thinks his wife a miserable shrew, an ugly, barking creature, domineering and impatient. “I have every right to hate her,” he reasons. “She treats me like a child, disrespecting me, arguing against everything I say, and bossing me around.” In light of these things, he is certain that he has the best of grounds upon which to stand in his resentment of, and frustration with, his nasty spouse. And daily, she offers new offense to him, strengthening his bitterness. If she would just be more like him, they’d get along perfectly! Why can’t she see this?

And so, when they aren’t pointedly ignoring each other, this husband and wife are compounding their hurts, with planks of vicious words and bitter actions, building up the barriers between them, settling deeper and deeper into a relationship of awful unhappiness and pain, wondering how they got into such an excruciating mess and wishing desperately to get out.

----​

Twenty-something Edward loves to bash out marathon sessions on his PS5, sitting alone in his one-room apartment, curtains drawn, lights off, totally absorbed in the hyper-stimulating sights and sounds of his favorite video game. He’s stopped wondering if being alone so much is bad for him; he’s stopped thinking about how fiercely he desires to game and what it might mean; he’s stopped considering what other more productive and life-building things there might be to do. Mostly, the sound and fury of gaming keeps Edward from such introspection, but when he has to take a bathroom break, or grab something to eat from the fridge, he does so as quickly as he can, his mind fixed on what he’ll do next in the game.

But, life intrudes, eventually, and when it does, Edward tells himself things about his gaming obsession like, “Who cares if I love to game? No one misses me. No one needs me.” Edward knows this isn’t true; his parents love him dearly and often urge him to leave off his PS5 and interact with them. But Edward feels they’re too much like NPCs, flat, boring and repetitive, nowhere near as exciting as shooting aliens, or killing dragons. When he’s filling gas tanks at the gas station where he works, Edward sees the dreariness of the world, the tediousness of it, the lack of color, and sound, and stimulation that he encounters in-game, and reasons that the game world is better, more enriching, healthier for his brain, because it blasts him constantly with highly-stimulating input.

Although outside of gaming, Edward’s life has constricted to the bare necessities, has emptied of friends, and though he has ceased to care about a career, or marriage, or growing intellectually and experientially, he denies that it matters, telling himself that life is, above all, about being happy. And nothing makes him happier than gaming for sixteen hours straight.

---​

Kimberley loves her boyfriend, Alton. She knows it’s real love because she has given herself sexually to him. Many times, in fact. Often, it seems to Kimberley, sex is all Alton is interested in when they’re together. But the amazing intimacy they share when having sex and the pleasure of the act has bound Kimberley tightly to Alton and she is sure he must be likewise bound to her – though, he doesn’t say so unless Kimberley presses him to…

----

Continued below.
Every long-embittered spouse, or addict, or lust-addled youth, or resentful hypocrite, is the product of self-deception. So naturally eager to justify sin are we, so disposed are we to seeking our own way rather than God’s, that, apart from Him, we have no hope of walking in the clarity, freedom and blessing of His truth.

Isaiah 53:6
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all

Romans 3:10-12
10 as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”

Titus 3:3
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.

Here’s the unflattering truth about us: We are “wandering sheep”; all of us have “turned aside” into sin; we are by nature “foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures.” And so, King David cried out for God to search him and try him, to examine his mind and heart for the wicked self-deceptions that foul us all. This is the only route to genuine freedom from our pathological habit of lying to ourselves. Only God knows, not only the truth about us hidden beneath our self-deceptions, but the full Truth of Reality to which He intends we should be conformed. If we won’t apply to Him for examination and supernatural diagnosis about ourselves, and for revelation of His Truth, we have no hope of winning free of our self-lies and the sin and destruction that inevitably follow. And corruption, destruction and death will follow – God has promised that it will.

If I can, Tenchi, you are an exceptional writer, but if there is one criticism I might have it would be that pieces like this are a bit too long, and you may lose some people because of it. I did the same thing with my Bible studies, until more recently I started dividing them up into 2 Parts, which at least cut down on things some. But some would say they are still too long, Lol.

Anyway, excellent work, just offering a bit of constructive criticism.

Blessings in Christ,
- H

If I can, Tenchi, you are an exceptional writer, but if there is one criticism I might have it would be that pieces like this are a bit too long, and you may lose some people because of it.

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes, I realize my articles are, for many, too long. You're not the first to say so. In response to this criticism, immediately the thought arises in me: Do I try to meet a higher standard, or a lower one? It seems to me that these days the prime goal of many online is to "get eyes" on a blog, or opinion/interview show, or on a music video, or how-to channel on YouTube; multiplying clicks is what's important, apparently (I'm not saying this is the case with you; I'm just describing a priority I see among folks putting things on the 'net). K.I.S.S. (keep it short, stupid) is the general rule of thumb under this objective. But when it comes to careful thinking, to laying out premises, arguing for them, and arriving at a sound, well-reasoned conclusion, when it comes to sharing Truth, "dividing" it carefully, forming a useful systematic of it, the short, pithy, sound-byte logic of the meme is terrible. Truth "distilled" is, more often than not in my experience, truth distorted, abused and/or neglected.

Unfortunately, these days, more and more people - especially younger ones - are steeped in meme-logic, in facile reasoning and often quite faulty - but short - "arguments." As a result, they can't handle longer-form processes of thought, or complex systems of fact. How did they get this way? Well, in part, they are the product of the get-more-clicks approach to info sharing online, which necessitates accommodating the ever-shrinking attention span of the majority. As a matter of principle, I refuse to go along and help encourage the shriveling of the western intellect. I know this means the attention-limited person will just ignore my writing, but I'm okay with that. If folks want the truth in what I write, sometimes they'll have to stretch their brains a bit more than they're used to in order to get it. But that stretching is good for them, I believe, and vital particularly to the Christian who wants a deeper walk with God.

In other forums on this site, I do write in shorter length, offering truth in a more confined, OP-specific way. I'm not, then, hoarding the truth, keeping it from the attention-challenged majority entirely.

Anyway, I do appreciate your observation about this more...mechanical(?) element of what I've written.

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes, I realize my articles are, for many, too long. You're not the first to say so. In response to this criticism, immediately the thought arises in me: Do I try to meet a higher standard, or a lower one? It seems to me that these days the prime goal of many online is to "get eyes" on a blog, or opinion/interview show, or on a music video, or how-to channel on YouTube; multiplying clicks is what's important, apparently (I'm not saying this is the case with you; I'm just describing a priority I see among folks putting things on the 'net). K.I.S.S. (keep it short, stupid) is the general rule of thumb under this objective. But when it comes to careful thinking, to laying out premises, arguing for them, and arriving at a sound, well-reasoned conclusion, when it comes to sharing Truth, "dividing" it carefully, forming a useful systematic of it, the short, pithy, sound-byte logic of the meme is terrible. Truth "distilled" is, more often than not in my experience, truth distorted, abused and/or neglected.

Unfortunately, these days, more and more people - especially younger ones - are steeped in meme-logic, in facile reasoning and often quite faulty - but short - "arguments." As a result, they can't handle longer-form processes of thought, or complex systems of fact. How did they get this way? Well, in part, they are the product of the get-more-clicks approach to info sharing online, which necessitates accommodating the ever-shrinking attention span of the majority. As a matter of principle, I refuse to go along and help encourage the shriveling of the western intellect. I know this means the attention-limited person will just ignore my writing, but I'm okay with that. If folks want the truth in what I write, sometimes they'll have to stretch their brains a bit more than they're used to in order to get it. But that stretching is good for them, I believe, and vital particularly to the Christian who wants a deeper walk with God.

In other forums on this site, I do write in shorter length, offering truth in a more confined, OP-specific way. I'm not, then, hoarding the truth, keeping it from the attention-challenged majority entirely.

Anyway, I do appreciate your observation about this more...mechanical(?) element of what I've written.
Not that I disagree but I think she meant to break up the post .I reread it to get the examples as it was long .

Not that I disagree but I think she meant to break up the post .I reread it to get the examples as it was long .

Maybe... I'm assuming that if folks want to read the article but find its length challenging, they'll do what I do with Scripture and read a bit, stop and think about it, and then come back and read some more the next day, or whenever. The article isn't going anywhere, so there's no rush to read it all at once, right?

She? Who you calling she? Lol.
Thanks for your remarks.

Yeah, I'm aware of this stuff as well, and don't intend on accommodating the sound bite mentally either. I was just throwing it out there because in my own case I came to find that the stuff I was writing actually was too long, even for in-depth thinkers, and that what several people had told me about my work being difficult to follow was more than just short attention span.

But just mentioning it in passing.
- H

Back