Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Mandela Effect in Scriptures?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

smaller

I saw a brief clip on youtube and thought I'd ask here because it's a legit observation.

I remember the KJV N.T. scriptures regarding not putting new wine in old wineskins. You all or most of you probably recall this in the KJV as old wineskins.

Look now and see how it reads, KJV, yes KJV:

Matthew 9:17
Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Mark 2:22
And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

Luke 5:37

And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.

So, what happened to "wineskins?!"

I would imagine the change in words was due to the fact that so many people today have no idea what a 'wineskin' is, regardless of whether it's new or old.

However, they can readily identify a 'bottle.'

I would imagine the change in words was due to the fact that so many people today have no idea what a 'wineskin' is, regardless of whether it's new or old.

However, they can readily identify a 'bottle.'

Not in the KJV. Unless it's been changed. It was always wineskins by my recall in the KJV.

303.jpg
:chair
It is probably a huge endtimes conspiracy, or perhaps your memory just isn't as good as good as it used to be.

Matt 9:17
New International Version
Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

New Living Translation
"And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved."

English Standard Version
Neither is new wine put into old wineskins. If it is, the skins burst and the wine is spilled and the skins are destroyed. But new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved.”

Berean Study Bible
Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will spill, and the wineskins will be ruined. Instead, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

Berean Literal Bible
Nor do they pour new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise the wineskins are burst, and the wine is poured out, and the wineskins are destroyed. But they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

New American Standard Bible
"Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."

King James Bible
Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the skins burst, the wine spills out, and the skins are ruined. But they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."

International Standard Version
Nor do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will spill out, and the skins will be ruined. Instead, they pour new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."

NET Bible

King James 2000 Bible
Neither do men put new wine into old wineskins: else the wineskins break, and the wine runs out, and the wineskins perish: but they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

American King James Version
Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runs out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

King James 2000 Bible
Neither do men put new wine into old wineskins: else the wineskins break, and the wine runs out, and the wineskins perish: but they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

American King James Version
Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runs out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

I prefer the original to the American King James version.

I've only known it as wineskins.

Besides, with bottles, one gets all that nasty wax that's been dripped along the sides. :shame

To have a new wineskin something had to die.. Blood was shed.. not so wiht todays wine in a box

I use several different versions, and they all kind of run together in my head. Sometimes I'm amazed when I search for a word or phrase I just know is in the bible, yet it's not in the KJV, rather its in another version.

To have wine in a box means discernment had to die...

If the FDA would allow wineskinned water we could show hippies how much we love the environment while at the same time addressing the problem of goat overpopulation. Dang gov'ment oppression.

Yeah, I read that before I posted. Point being, it was wineskins in the KJV. The article really doesn't get into it. Just asserts it was always bottles.
I thought it used to say wineskins too. But if it did then in esword they changed both Adam Clarke and John Gill's commentaries to say bottles. :shrug

Back