Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The meaning of "World" Pt. 1

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have been refining my studies in the Doctrines of Grace, and have been listening to studies from Steve Lawson on these topics.

Recently listening to (link) Session 3 - Definite Atonement: For Whom Did Christ Die? I was very intrigued how he broke down the word "world" in his teaching.

There are many people who read the Bible and want to argue that the Lord has died foo everyone in the world. What they do not understand is how many ways this word is used.

I will leave you with the following from Pastor Lawson's book, Foundations of Grace

The Uses of World.

A difficulty arises at this point, however, because of John’s extensive use of the word world (the Greek word kosmos). This word occurs in the New Testament 185 times, of which seventy-eight are in John’s gospel, as contrasted with eight times in Matthew’s gospel, three times in Mark’s, and three times in Luke’s. World is definitely a Johannine word, for it is also used twenty-four times in his three epistles and three times in Revelation. In the fourth gospel, the term world is used in a wide variety of ways, some of which seem to imply that Christ’s death was for all people. A careful Bible student must be observant to note these distinctions in order to avoid misinterpretations and misunderstandings, and to determine what Christ was truly saying about His atonement. To lay the groundwork for our consideration of the doctrine of definite atonement in John, let us consider the various uses of the word world in this gospel:

Entire Universe
The word world can refer to the entire universe. For example, John wrote, “the world was made through him” (John 1:10b). Boice explains, “The word originally meant ‘an ornament,’ that is, a decorative object, the unique feature of which was its fine proportions or beauty. This meaning is preserved in our English word ‘cosmetic,’ though in this case the meaning has shifted from what is beautiful in itself to that which is used to improve features that perhaps are not. In time the word was applied to the universe or world globe, as the well proportioned ornament of God. This meaning occurs in John 1:9 and 10.”33 Using world this way, Jesus prayed, “ ‘And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed’ ” (John 17:5). Hendriksen identifies this usage of world as meaning “the orderly universe.”34 A. T. Robertson agrees, saying, “John uses ‘the world’ for the whole of the orderly universe.”35 The term is as broad as “all things” (1:3), which were made by Christ in the act of Creation, a reference to the entire universe.

Physical Earth.
World also signifies the earth, the planet on which man lives. John recorded, “Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father” (John 13:1b). This means that on the night before His crucifixion, Jesus knew that the time had come for Him to leave the earth and to return to heaven. In this verse, world signifies this physical planet. Again, John wrote, “ ‘In the world you will have tribulation’ ” (John 16:33b) and “Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written” (John 21:25). In each of these passages, world means the planet on which mankind lives.

World System
Jesus also used world to refer to the organized system of evil over which Satan rules as the god of this age. Our Lord said, “ ‘Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out’ ” (John 12:31). Again, He announced, “ ‘The ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me’ ” (John 14:30b). Also, “ ‘the ruler of this world is judged’ ” (John 16:11b). Boice notes, “At times we may translate this use of kosmos as ‘the world system,’ including the world’s values, pleasures, pastimes, and aspirations. It is said of the world in this sense that the world does not know God (1 John 3:1), that it rejected Jesus (John 1:10–11), and consequently that it also does not know and therefore also hates His followers (15:18–21; 17:14).”36 In this usage, the “world” is that system of Satan’s lies and darkness that is in direct opposition to God, His Word, His Son, and His people.

Humanity Minus Believers
In other instances, world means all of mankind less those who believe upon Christ at that point in time. Jesus said, “ ‘The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil’ ” (John 7:7). Also, “ ‘If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you’ ” (John 15:18). In these verses, world cannot mean everyone. While the world is said to hate Christ, believers love the Lord. So the world must signify unbelievers, a realm distinct from the world of believers who love Christ.

Large Group
World can also refer to a large portion of a group. For example, it can mean the population of a small region of the world. The Pharisees said, “ ‘You see that you are gaining nothing. Look, the world has gone after him’ ” (John 12:19). In this sense, world does not represent every person on planet earth, but only a large number of people in that particular region of the world.

I have been refining my studies in the Doctrines of Grace, and have been listening to studies from Steve Lawson on these topics.

Recently listening to (link) Session 3 - Definite Atonement: For Whom Did Christ Die? I was very intrigued how he broke down the word "world" in his teaching.

There are many people who read the Bible and want to argue that the Lord has died foo everyone in the world. What they do not understand is how many ways this word is used.

I will leave you with the following from Pastor Lawson's book, Foundations of Grace

The Uses of World.

A difficulty arises at this point, however, because of John’s extensive use of the word world (the Greek word kosmos). This word occurs in the New Testament 185 times, of which seventy-eight are in John’s gospel, as contrasted with eight times in Matthew’s gospel, three times in Mark’s, and three times in Luke’s. World is definitely a Johannine word, for it is also used twenty-four times in his three epistles and three times in Revelation. In the fourth gospel, the term world is used in a wide variety of ways, some of which seem to imply that Christ’s death was for all people. A careful Bible student must be observant to note these distinctions in order to avoid misinterpretations and misunderstandings, and to determine what Christ was truly saying about His atonement. To lay the groundwork for our consideration of the doctrine of definite atonement in John, let us consider the various uses of the word world in this gospel:

Entire Universe
The word world can refer to the entire universe. For example, John wrote, “the world was made through him” (John 1:10b). Boice explains, “The word originally meant ‘an ornament,’ that is, a decorative object, the unique feature of which was its fine proportions or beauty. This meaning is preserved in our English word ‘cosmetic,’ though in this case the meaning has shifted from what is beautiful in itself to that which is used to improve features that perhaps are not. In time the word was applied to the universe or world globe, as the well proportioned ornament of God. This meaning occurs in John 1:9 and 10.”33 Using world this way, Jesus prayed, “ ‘And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed’ ” (John 17:5). Hendriksen identifies this usage of world as meaning “the orderly universe.”34 A. T. Robertson agrees, saying, “John uses ‘the world’ for the whole of the orderly universe.”35 The term is as broad as “all things” (1:3), which were made by Christ in the act of Creation, a reference to the entire universe.

Physical Earth.
World also signifies the earth, the planet on which man lives. John recorded, “Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father” (John 13:1b). This means that on the night before His crucifixion, Jesus knew that the time had come for Him to leave the earth and to return to heaven. In this verse, world signifies this physical planet. Again, John wrote, “ ‘In the world you will have tribulation’ ” (John 16:33b) and “Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written” (John 21:25). In each of these passages, world means the planet on which mankind lives.

World System
Jesus also used world to refer to the organized system of evil over which Satan rules as the god of this age. Our Lord said, “ ‘Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out’ ” (John 12:31). Again, He announced, “ ‘The ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me’ ” (John 14:30b). Also, “ ‘the ruler of this world is judged’ ” (John 16:11b). Boice notes, “At times we may translate this use of kosmos as ‘the world system,’ including the world’s values, pleasures, pastimes, and aspirations. It is said of the world in this sense that the world does not know God (1 John 3:1), that it rejected Jesus (John 1:10–11), and consequently that it also does not know and therefore also hates His followers (15:18–21; 17:14).”36 In this usage, the “world” is that system of Satan’s lies and darkness that is in direct opposition to God, His Word, His Son, and His people.

Humanity Minus Believers
In other instances, world means all of mankind less those who believe upon Christ at that point in time. Jesus said, “ ‘The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil’ ” (John 7:7). Also, “ ‘If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you’ ” (John 15:18). In these verses, world cannot mean everyone. While the world is said to hate Christ, believers love the Lord. So the world must signify unbelievers, a realm distinct from the world of believers who love Christ.

Large Group
World can also refer to a large portion of a group. For example, it can mean the population of a small region of the world. The Pharisees said, “ ‘You see that you are gaining nothing. Look, the world has gone after him’ ” (John 12:19). In this sense, world does not represent every person on planet earth, but only a large number of people in that particular region of the world.
Steve Lawson is crystal clear and irrefutable on these topics

Back