Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Pagan Origins of Christmas

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
According to Luke Chapter One Jesus was conceived six months after the conception of John the Baptist and was born nine months later in the months of September/October according to the Lunar Jewish Calendar.

King David on God's instructions (1 Chr 28:11-13) had divided the sons of Aaron into 24 groups (1 Chr 24:1-4), to setup a schedule by which the Temple of the Lord could be staffed with priests all year round in an orderly manner. After the 24 groups of priests were established, lots were drawn to determine the sequence in which each group would serve in the Temple. (1 Chr 24: 7-19). That sequence is as follows:

1 Chr 24:7
1. Jehoiarib
2. Jedaiah
1 Chr 24:8
3. Harim
4. Seorim
1 Chr 24:9
5. Malchijah
6. Mijamin
1 Chr 24:10
7. Hakkoz
8. Abijah
1 Chr 24:11
9. Jeshuah
10. Shecaniah
1 Chr 24:12
11. Eliashib
12. Jakim
1 Chr 24:13
13. Huppah
14. Jeshebeab
1 Chr 24:14
15. Bilgah
16. Immer
1 Chr 24:15
17. Hezir
18. Aphses
1 Chr 24:16
19. Pethahiah
20. Jehezekel
1 Chr 24:17
21. Jachim
22. Gamul
1 Chr 24:18
23. Delaiah
24. Maaziah

1 Chr 24:19 These were the orderings of them in their service to come into the house of the LORD, according to their manner, under Aaron their father, as the LORD God of Israel had commanded him.

Now each one of the 24 "courses" of priests would begin and end their service in the Temple on the Sabbath, a tour of duty being for one week (2 Chr 23:8, 1 Chr 9:25). On three occasions during the year, all the men of Israel were required to travel to Jerusalem for festivals of the Lord, so on those occasions all the priests would be needed in the Temple to accommodate the crowds. Those three festivals were Unleavened Bread, Pentecost, and Tabernacles (Deut 16:16).
The Yearly Cycle of Service in the Temple.

The Jewish calendar begins in the spring, during the month of Nisan, so the first "course" of priests, would be that of the family of Jehoiarib, who would serve for one week, Sabbath to Sabbath. The second week would then be the responsibility of the family of Jedaiah. The third week would be the feast of Unleavened Bread, and all priests would be present for service. Then the schedule would resume with the third course of priests, the family of Harim. By this plan, when the 24th course was completed, the general cycle of courses would repeat. This schedule would cover 51 weeks or 357 days, enough for the lunar Jewish calendar (about 354 days). So, in a period of a year, each group of priests would serve in the Temple twice on their scheduled course, in addition to the 3 major festivals, for a total of about five weeks of duty.

The Conception of John the Baptist.
Back to Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, which is important to understand that Jesus was born September/October according to the Lunar Jewish Calendar being conceived six months after John the Baptist.
Luke 1:23 And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.
Luke 1:24 And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived

Beginning with the first month, Nisan, in the spring (March-April), the schedule of the priest's courses would result with Zacharias serving during the 10th week of the year. This is because he was a member of the course of Abia (Abijah), the 8th course, and both the Feast of Unleavened Bread (15-21 Nisan) and Pentecost (6 Sivan) would have occurred before his scheduled duty. This places Zacharias' administration in the Temple as beginning on the second Sabbath of the third month, Sivan (May-June).
Having completed his Temple service on the third Sabbath of Sivan, Zacharias returned home and soon conceived his son John. So John the Baptist was probably conceived shortly after the third Sabbath of the month of Sivan.

1st Month

2nd Month

3rd Month

Abib - Nisan
(March - April)

Zif - Iyyar
(April - May)

Sivan
(May - June)

First
Week

Jehoiarib (1)​

Seorim (4)​

All Priests
(Pentecost)​

Second
Week

Jedaiah (2)​

Malchijah (5)​

Abijah (8)​

Third
Week

All Priests
(Feast of Unleavened Bread)​

Mijamin (6)​

Jeshuah (9)​

Fourth
Week

Harim (3)​

Hakkoz (7)​

Shecaniah (10)​

Jewish month

Begins the
New moon of

John the Baptist

Jesus

1. Abib / Nisan

March-April​

Birth of John
15 Nisan​

4​

2. Zif / Iyyar

April-May​

5​

3. Sivan

May-June​

Conception of John
after 3rd Sabbath​

6​

4. Tammuz

June-July​

1​

7​

5. Ab / Av

July-August​

2​

8​

6. Elul

August-September​

3​

9​

7. Ethanim / Tishri

September-October​

4​

Birth of Jesus
15 Tishri​

8. Bul / Marheshvan / Heshvan

October-November​

5​

9. Chisleu / Chislev / Kislev

November-December​

6​

Conception of Jesus
25 Kislev?​

10. Tebeth / Tevet

December-January​

7​

1​

11. Shebat / Shevat

January-February​

8​

2​

12. Adar

February-March​

9​

3​

The greatest gift is that of Christ Jesus that we express in our love for others as being the greatest commandment of God no matter what time of the year it is or just one day we set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus. We find paganism in almost everything throughout the year, but as a child of God will do not worship paganism, but the one in whom we are made in His perfect image of love. I put up a tree and decorate as it being a birthday party for the King of Kings and Lord of lords. I even put the scripture Isaiah 9:6 and a Happy Birthday Jesus card on my tree.

(The point of this thread is not to be irreverent or to discourage Christmas celebration; it is rather intended to teach the true history of the holiday and to explain why some Christians have historically rejected its celebration.)

It is often asserted that Christmas is, in origin, a Christian holiday. In fact, this is not the case. It originates from at least three pagan holidays, which Christians combined and upon which placed a Christian spin.

1: Saturnalia
First, Christmas originates in the holiday of Saturnalia. This was an ancient Roman festival celebrated in honor of the god Saturn, celebrated between the 17th and 23rd of December. They held a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn in Rome, with a public banquet. Catullus, a Roman poet, called it "the best of days." Unlike other Roman holidays, it could be held in one's own home, anywhere in the Empire. Some crucial similarities exist:
  1. A tree - At Saturnalia, residents would decorate a tree with candles and ornamentation.
  2. Gift-giving - At Saturnalia, Romans would purchase and give gifts to one another.
  3. Partying - At Saturnalia, the celebrants would party frequently, have banquets, and engage in general merrymaking.
The tree decoration is perhaps the most striking similarity. Some Christians have attempted to argue that the gift-giving comes from the three magi, but that is not the case; it originated in Saturnalia.

2: Yule
More conservative-leaning Christians will denigrate Halloween for its pagan origins in Germanic tribes, all the while happily ignoring the pagan Germanic origins of their favorite holiday. The festival of Yule was celebrated in winter prior to 1000 A.D., held between mid-December and early January. It is connected to the wild hunt. Northern Europe was the last area to be Christianized, and it appears that Yule had a major influence on Christmas. Some similarities:
  1. The yule log - the tradition of the yule log comes directly from the pagan holiday of Yule.
  2. Carolling - Yule was celebrated with crowds coming together for a winter ritual of singing, known as Koliada. This appears to be the origin of Christmas carolling.
3: "Birthday of the Unconquered Sun"
This was a late Roman holiday honoring Sol Invictus ("unconquered sun"), a god, on - strikingly - the 25th of December. No Christian historian thinks Jesus was born in winter (there are two contested dates, none in Winter), so the day appears to have come from Sol Invictus.

Malachi 4:2 speaks of "the sun of righteousness" (Sol Iustitiae), a reference to Jesus. It makes sense that Christians would have tied the birthday of Sol Invictus to the birthday of Jesus, Sol Iustitiae. In Mausoleum M, under St. Peter's Basilica, we see an inscription calling Jesus "Christo Sole", Christ the sun.

In conclusion, then, Christmas originated in Saturnalia and Sol Invictus, and Christians combined the birth of Jesus with it. Later, Yule was incorporated. The Puritans forbade Christmas celebrations because they recognized this fact.
Very nice summary and I concur. I do believe that the scriptures give a specific date Jesus Christ was born (Clue: Christmas is about 3 months too late). The verse that says this hits us astronomically-minded Sir Isaac Newton types like a ton of bricks as a coded, but clear language as to the timing. But I can say that anything the Lord did, i.e when he was born, died, coming again etc will be based on the feast days of Leviticus 23 which the apostle Paul referred to as the "seasons" which he did not have to write to the Thessalonians about as they understood when the season for "whatever" was about to happen. Due to the historic disassociation of the Gentiles with the Jews, they came up with (i.e. Christianized) their own holidays and seasons and thus establishes a brick wall between the Christian and understanding future events. However, I rejoice in the fact that more and more Christian churches are taking Leviticus 23 seriously but still keeping the traditions. However, traditions die hard, don't they? But aw, that tree looks soooo pretty and who does not like a Santa figure in their yards, that jolly ol' elf? LOL

1st Month

2nd Month

3rd Month

Abib - Nisan
(March - April)

Zif - Iyyar
(April - May)

Sivan
(May - June)

First
Week

Jehoiarib (1)​

Seorim (4)​

All Priests
(Pentecost)​

Second
Week

Jedaiah (2)​

Malchijah (5)​

Abijah (8)​

Third
Week

All Priests
(Feast of Unleavened Bread)​

Mijamin (6)​

Jeshuah (9)​

Fourth
Week

Harim (3)​

Hakkoz (7)​

Shecaniah (10)​

Jewish month

Begins the
New moon of

John the Baptist

Jesus

1. Abib / Nisan

March-April​

Birth of John
15 Nisan​

4​

2. Zif / Iyyar

April-May​

5​

3. Sivan

May-June​

Conception of John
after 3rd Sabbath​

6​

4. Tammuz

June-July​

1​

7​

5. Ab / Av

July-August​

2​

8​

6. Elul

August-September​

3​

9​

7. Ethanim / Tishri

September-October​

4​

Birth of Jesus
15 Tishri​

8. Bul / Marheshvan / Heshvan

October-November​

5​

9. Chisleu / Chislev / Kislev

November-December​

6​

Conception of Jesus
25 Kislev?​

10. Tebeth / Tevet

December-January​

7​

1​

11. Shebat / Shevat

January-February​

8​

2​

12. Adar

February-March​

9​

3​

Your chart is yet another strong indication of the birth time of our Lord. I do think that a verse in the Bible very strongly tells us the date of His birth in astronomical language that as I described it, "hits us Sir Isaac Newton types like a ton of bricks". The mention is coded, yet clear language. But it's always good to have at least two or more pieces of evidence. Two or three witnesses shall establish a matter. I concur with your (general) time frame Jesus was born within two weeks. I won't debate that little bit of time.

Due to the historic disassociation of the Gentiles with the Jews, they came up with (i.e. Christianized) their own holidays and seasons and thus establishes a brick wall between the Christian and understanding future events.
Good thing we have the Holy Spirit :) .

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

However, I rejoice in the fact that more and more Christian churches are taking Leviticus 23 seriously but still keeping the traditions. However, traditions die hard, don't they?
Apparently they do, since it seems you still support burnt offerings and grain offerings.

Apparently they do, since it seems you still support burnt offerings and grain offerings.
No, I do not support those offerings as that's the Levitical system, but the timing of those feasts are significant, which BTW will take place in the end times as well and still apply for NT times. I do respectfully request that you stop putting words into my mouth and otherwise imply false doctrine from me like before on other posts. I do believe the T.O.S. which is applicable to everyone, does not state to question the faith of another member. Right? It pays to understand first what the person is saying.

No, I do not support those offerings as that's the Levitical system, but the timing of those feasts are significant, which BTW will take place in the end times as well and still apply for NT times.
You previously said that, "the feast days of Leviticus 23 which the apostle Paul referred to as the "seasons". But there is nothing in what Paul says the alludes to Leviticus 23. Is that not reading into the text preconceived ideas, especially since this is a Gentile church? "Seasons" could just as easily be an allusion to actual seasons, when different activities were done--planting, harvesting, etc.

Besides, in context, Paul cannot be referring to the Feast days of Leviticus 23:

1Th 5:1 Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you.
1Th 5:2 For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3 While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
1Th 5:4 But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief.
1Th 5:5 For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness.
1Th 5:6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. (ESV)

The whole context is the return of Christ and that is what the "times and seasons" is referring to. Those Feast days were set days, known to the Jews (and this was a Gentile church), but yet Paul says that "the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night."

Besides, elsewhere Paul speaks against Gentiles turning "back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world," by which he most likely means, in part, the Feasts in Leviticus 23:

Gal 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?
Gal 4:10 You observe days and months and seasons and years!
Gal 4:11 I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain. (ESV)

So, is it not more likely that in 1 Thess 5:1 Paul is referring to the same seasons that Jesus refers to?

Act 1:6 So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”
Act 1:7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. (ESV)

And that is in reference to the restoration of "the kingdom to Israel." Jesus clearly says that "It is not for you to know the times or seasons." So, once again, I don't see how the Feast days could be the seasons, otherwise they would know the seasons.

And wouldn't those "times or seasons" most likely be referring, at least in part, to the things Jesus spoke to the disciples about just before his death, in Matt 24:3-35, and where he first said that no one knows when he will return (vv. 36-44)?

I do respectfully request that you stop putting words into my mouth and otherwise imply false doctrine from me like before on other posts.
Correct, the Feasts are part of the Levitical system, hence why they contain offerings and were given only to the Israelites. The offerings are central to some of the Feasts, along with some other things; there are no Feasts without the offerings and doing these other things. So, if there are no offerings, if the Feasts themselves aren’t followed, doesn’t that make following only the timing of the Feasts pointless? And, since they were given to the Israelites only, why should believers follow them? Where in the NT is it stated that believers, particularly Gentile believers, were following the Feasts or the timing of the Feasts or should be doing so?

It just seems to be part of a recent trend where Christians think they’re being more Christian by being more Jewish. Shouldn’t Christians be following the Christian calendar and be guided by the recommendations of Acts 15:22-29?

I do believe the T.O.S. which is applicable to everyone, does not state to question the faith of another member. Right?
It’s questioning the veracity of another’s faith, so it’s good that I did no such thing. Besides, I didn’t say anything was the case.

It pays to understand first what the person is saying.
It does, but it seems you are selectively believing what the Feasts are about while praising churches that incompletely follow them, which appears to have no support in Scripture.

My answers to your main points in red:
You previously said that, "the feast days of Leviticus 23 which the apostle Paul referred to as the "seasons". But there is nothing in what Paul says the alludes to Leviticus 23. Is that not reading into the text preconceived ideas, especially since this is a Gentile church? "Seasons" could just as easily be an allusion to actual seasons, when different activities were done--planting, harvesting, etc.

Besides, in context, Paul cannot be referring to the Feast days of Leviticus 23:

1Th 5:1 Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you.
1Th 5:2 For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3 While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
1Th 5:4 But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief.
1Th 5:5 For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness.
1Th 5:6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. (ESV)

The whole context is the return of Christ and that is what the "times and seasons" is referring to. Those Feast days were set days, known to the Jews (and this was a Gentile church), but yet Paul says that "the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night."
Indeed seasons can be set times if you look up the Greek – while this one fact does not prove that, we have to understand that the Jews, the first converts, understood these times and seasons. This would have been passed along to the Gentiles since every major event of Christ that was (and will be) based on these feast timing. (Genesis 1:14). So to whom is the Lord coming as a thief in the night? To those who do not know the times or the seasons. But the brethren are not in darkness that the season should overtake them like a thief, but rather they are expecting that return – while nobody knows the exact timing, they were to know when it’s at their doorstep. So yes, Paul is referencing the feasts, and makes mention of feasts several times in the NT and going to them. So as for your assertion that seasons could just refer to actual seasons, what are your scriptural references for that? The statement sounds as if you are going by the mere definition. So if the definition I declare is not solid proof, neither is yours by definition alone. I agree context is the key word here – but it’s not a different set of times and seasons for the Gentiles vs the Jews. And again, the timing of the feasts in Leviticus 23 is prophetic for every major event regarding mankind’s salvation.
Besides, elsewhere Paul speaks against Gentiles turning "back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world," by which he most likely means, in part, the Feasts in Leviticus 23:

Gal 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?
Gal 4:10 You observe days and months and seasons and years!
Gal 4:11 I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain. (ESV)
Interesting the ESV clearly states “elementary principles of the world” because the KJV does not mention the world. Maybe this helps the case I am presenting if you notice the mention of gods in v8 (not quoted here). If that is the case, is Torah “weak and elementary principles of the WORLD”? Whatever they were going back to has something to do with pagan gods (demons) in which Torah did not originate with. If anything, I would say that this passage is more about keeping the likes of Christmas (and similar Gentile holidays) that a person is in more danger than observing feasts. These other days are of the world. But let me play along from your stance. There were Judaizers in Paul’s day. Believe in Jesus PLUS the Law, they’d teach. The Law which is powerless to save (because of sin) is the Levitical Law which were shadows of the Ultimate Sacrifice; nevertheless, the timing of such things are still valid. But the Judaisers would tell them the MANNER of keeping these feast days.

So along that line, this verse then reminds me of the passage,
So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. So nobody should tell another Christian to bring a sacrifice to the altar, don’t worry about drink offerings, or any of that. Jesus Christ fulfilled that which is what I am saying, but yet they are keeping these days by the fact that they are mentioned. So Paul is in effect saying don’t let anyone tell you the manner of keeping them. For a practical example, Passover sacrifice was replaced by what is commonly called the “last supper” and “communion”. That’s Passover kept at that time (or ought to be kept then).
So there’s at least one feast right there the church keeps, but in a NT manner. How about Easter (aka Firstfruits) and Pentecost at their respective times? Are they not special services in most Christian denominations?
So, is it not more likely that in 1 Thess 5:1 Paul is referring to the same seasons that Jesus refers to?

Act 1:6 So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”
Act 1:7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. (ESV)
Yes! And that has to do with the Second Coming in which I’ll bet falls on one of those dates of the feasts – clue: Jesus, Paul and Revelation, well, even Isaiah for that manner mentions gatherings by Trumpets.
And that is in reference to the restoration of "the kingdom to Israel." Jesus clearly says that "It is not for you to know the times or seasons." So, once again, I don't see how the Feast days could be the seasons, otherwise they would know the seasons.

And wouldn't those "times or seasons" most likely be referring, at least in part, to the things Jesus spoke to the disciples about just before his death, in Matt 24:3-35, and where he first said that no one knows when he will return (vv. 36-44)?
No man knows the day nor the hour. There’s a saying that the only feast nobody knows the day or the hour ahead of time is that of Trumpets as back then they observed the moon. It could be tonight, or maybe tomorrow night and who knows what hour it will be seen? But an astronomer guy like me knows when the time is close, and I would not miss it. The disciples thought that Jesus’ coming was to restore the Kingdom then, the way Jews do today. Later, as stated above Paul felt no need to write about them. I always took Jesus’ statement to mean “not right now, you have more to do first!” Without the Holy Spirit at that point, even if they knew about the feasts, at the very least one has to ask “which one has to do with the Kingdom?” Jesus mentioned all of them pertaining to such, so maybe they thought that the Day of Firstfruits and thereafter had something to do with that… and they would have been right, because the next feast was Pentecost. But not the proper one representing the restoration of the Kingdom of Israel there in the land – the disciples did not know.
....So, if there are no offerings, if the Feasts themselves aren’t followed, doesn’t that make following only the timing of the Feasts pointless?
No. The timing tells us when God is about to do something. The offerings were a shadow of Jesus Christ who fulfills that portion of the Law. But WHEN is he going to do those things? the same time as the feasts. Otherwise, what is the point of the exact timing other than to watch Israelites have a party 3 times a year? Since the Lord was so specific, there must be a purpose of those dates, and Paul stated what they were for.

To the OP: I did not mean to derail the thread, as my comments were about the timing of events. But some other directions apparently came up I thought I had to answer. I'm not as young as I used to be and otherwise don't care to write such long dissertations. So my apologies. The point of Leviticus 23 was to show date timing that the Lord follows, and is found in the New Testament, not the least of which is my first mention about the scriptures giving a specific date. Carry on, troops.

Interesting Gentiles arguing over Jewish feasts.
While I post this on my right is a book by my second cousin who is Jewish and speaks of his war time and capture and knowing of the reports he heard before being drafted .

Captured by the Germans after being shot down .

Interesting view point on the times and seasons .I don't see how being kosher or hebraic makes one a better follower . I know plenty of Orthodox Jews who converted and don't miss being that way .

I do see value in knowing it but not gonna say being a better Christian because I decide to follow the parshah during said feasts or weekly Torah reading when it's not a feast .

Back