Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The preincarnate existence of Christ, who is the Almighty God, Jehovah.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

reddogs

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder. and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

How can we understand this, the mystery of the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ, come in the flesh, and how a mere child, born like other children, could also be "The everlasting Father."

1 Corinthians 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The pre-existence of Christ or personal existence of Christ before his conception is shown in the Bible, but the Holy Ghost has to guide us. For some reason, this concept of Christ pre-incarnate or the pre-existence of Christ is very controversial, as people somewhat get confused with the "Title" which refers to Jesus or how He is shown such as the "First and the Last", the "Alpha and Omega" the "Holy One", the "Angel of the Lord". Now we must be clear, Jesus is not a created Angel. He is fully Man, fully God, the Messiah, the Christ, and Lord and Saviour. Jesus is Eternal. Jesus was never created. Jesus is Eternal as the Father and Holy Spirit are Eternal. Jesus has always been and always will be and scripture shows existed before He became the earthly child of Mary.

Let us begin with the birth of Christ and we see in Matthew one of the titles, 'God with us'.

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Just as the prophecy in scripture fortold that from the house of David he would come of a virgin birth......
Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Here it is clear that Christ is God, but immediatly we are posed with a question that must be answered.
Did the Father create or "procreate" another "God?" If He did, This would mean it would be a sin to worship Jesus, because it would violate the first commandment!
“Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.” Isaiah 43:10
The first commandment says,
"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."
On two different occasions John was inclined to worship an angel. He was told by the angel, "See thou do it not: I am a fellow servant, and of they brethren that have the testimony of Jesus." (Revelation 19:10)
Worship of a creature was clearly prohibited in the Bible. Worship of the Creator was another matter and we see it time and time again that Jesus accepted worship and was worthy to be worshipped. Of the Canaanite woman it was said, "Then came she and worshipped Him..." (Matthew 15:25). When Thomas recognized Him as the risen Christ he said, "My Lord and my God." (John 20:28), and the four and twenty elders give worship to the Creator, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Now in the resurrection the Bible tells us that men that are saved are equal to angels. Luke 20:36 "Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." Jesus was not equal to the angels He was equal to God, scripture shows us this.

Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God"
If we look further to the context in Philippians 2:5-8, we understand clearly what Paul is saying:

Talking of Jesus Christ, . . .who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Paul shows clearly that Jesus had existed as a divine Being before His birth, and that He volunteered to divest Himself of much of His glory, power, and prerogatives to become a lowly human being and to die to redeem humanity from its sins. Then we see the following in Hebrews which shows of Christ, 'angels of God worship him' and God says to the Son or Christ, 'Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever', so scripture lays out the path that the Holy Ghost can guide us into understanding.

Hebrews 1:4
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. 7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. 8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

You also have to look at the issue of worship, as God alone is entitled to supreme reverence and worship and man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service or worship. So to worship any other is a sin, but then we have the mystery of the Godhead as Christ was not brought into existence, rather He always existed as one with the Father. We see Christ as the Creator, as Jehovah, as the Great I AM, and appeared in different ways more than fifty times in the Old Testament before coming as flesh in the New Testament.

For any creature to claim the right to be worshipped is blaspheme. In fact the Jews falsely accused Jesus of this. John 10:33 "The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."

So lets look at that...

Now take a look at these scriptures that show Jesus was worshipped.

Matthew 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

Matthew 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Matthew 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Matthew 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Matthew 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

Matthew 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Matthew 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

Mark 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

Luke 24:52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:

John 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

Rev 5:14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Then we have Jesus Himself showing us how He existed prior to the Incarnation and His role, it was not hidden, it is right there in the Bible. Speaking to the Jews, Jesus told them:

John 8:56
Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY day: and he saw it, and was glad.

The Jews were absolutely amazed at what Jesus sad, because Jesus was only in His early thirties, they could not ponder how He possibly have been alive in Abraham's day, so they reacted.

John 8:57-58
57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.

The Jews understood what was being declared, Jesus equating Himself with the eternal 'I AM.'; Verse 59 in John 8 says,

"Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him"

You also have these verses....

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Jesus was directly and actively involved in the creation of man. Indeed you find in Genesis, God said...

Genesis 1:26 Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness

Then there is a prediction of Christ's redemptive work on the cross in Genesis 3:15 :
"And I will put enmity between you (the serpent/the devil) and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise you on the head, and you shall bruise Him on the heel."

Christ was there at the beginning, from eternity, but there is more if we look from Gods Word..

Some try to claim that nowhere in the Bible is anyone but Jehovah called the Almighty. That neither Jesus along with the Holy Spirit is ever called that, and that Christ is a created being or Jesus Christ was God's first creation.

They try to use Colossians 1:15 to claim that Paul's description of Christ as the first-born of creation means that Jesus was created and thus not eternal, not God. Such a doctrine, however, conflicts with the rest of the Bible. Christ could not be both Creator and created; John 1 clearly names Him Creator and Colossians 1:16 shows the same.

In a letter to the church at Colossae, the Apostle Paul gives a more entailed description of Jesus. In it, he explained Christ's relationship to God the Father and to creation. Let's take a careful look at the passage where Jesus is called the first-born.

Colossians 1:15-21
King James Version (KJV)
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Christ's relationship to His Father begins with the phrase "the image of the invisible God." The word 'image,' meaning copy or likeness, expresses Christ's deity. This word involves more than a resemblance, more than a representation. He is God! Although He took on human form, He has the express nature of the Father (Hebrews 1:3).

The "Word" of John 1:1 is a divine Person, not a philosophical abstraction. In the incarnation, the invisible God became visible in Christ; deity was clothed with humanity (Matthew 17:2). All that God is, Christ is.

The Bible shows us that Jesus is Lord of Creation. The description "first-born of all creation" speaks of Christ's preexistence. He is not a creature but the eternal Creator (John 1:10). God created the world through Christ and redeemed the world through Christ (Hebrews 1:2-4).

Note that Jesus is called the first-born, not the first-created. The word "first-born" (Greek word "prototokos") signifies priority. In the culture of the Ancient times, the first-born was not necessarily the oldest child. First-born referred not to birth order but to rank. The first-born possessed the inheritance and leadership.Therefore, the phrase expresses Christ's sovereignty over creation.

Finally, the phrase recognizes Him as the Messiah: "I will make Him [Christ] My first-born, higher than the kings of the earth" (Psalm 89:27). Six times the Lord Jesus is declared to be the first-born of God, and it involves more than a resemblance, more than a representation. He is God and although He took on human form, He has the exact nature of His Father. The description first-born of all creation speaks of Christ's preexistence. He is not a creature but the eternal Creator.

Now lets look at the point made that Jesus is never called the 'Almighty' in the entire bible. Let us now turn to Revelation 1:8:

Revelation 1:8
I am the Alpha and the Omega, says Jehovah God, the One who is and who was, and who is coming, the Almighty.

Clearly, he who is Alpha and Omega, and who is also 'the Almighty' is 'Jehovah God' himself.

Now lets look more in Revelation:

Revelation 1:12-13
King James Version (KJV)
12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

John sees one 'like unto a son of man.' Now notice the context from here on, from verses 14 through 16 he is describing how this 'son of man' looked. Now this same son of man says in verses 17 and 18:

Revelation 1:17-18
King James Version (KJV)
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

We notice, that the 'son of man' is the same person who, according to Revelation 1:17-18, is the 'First and the Last' and who also 'became dead.' Who else is this but Jesus Christ, who is constantly referred to through scripture as the 'son of man' and who 'became dead.' You have to say that the one speaking in Revelation 1:17-18 is Jesus, and if it is true that this is Jesus, how is it that he is also called the First and the Last, which is the same as the Alpha and the Omega? And since God is the one claiming to be the 'Alpha and Omega' in verse 8, Jesus Christ, who also claims this title in verses 17 and 18, must therefore be the same one who spoke in verse 8. Now this poses a problem because he who spoke in verse 8 said that he is the 'Almighty.'

There is another reason to believe that the one speaking in verse 8 is the same person who speaks in verses 17 and 18. Verse 8 says that Jehovah God is the one 'who is coming.' There is another verse which also shows that God is the one coming found in Revelation 22:

Revelation 22:6-7
6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Take note that it is 'Jehovah the God' who is 'coming quickly.' Also note that this same Jehovah God, who is coming quickly, sent forth 'his angel.' Now read verse 12:

"Look! I am coming quickly and the reward I give is with me, to render each one as his work is. I am Alpha and Omega, and first and the last, the beginning and the end."verse 12.

Again, reading down from verse 6 through 12 we note that God again says that he is coming quickly, and also that he is Alpha and Omega. Now read the rest of the chapter, and note carefully verse 20, which reads:

"He that bears witness of these things says, Yes; I am coming quickly. Amen! Come, Lord Jesus."

We now find, that he who we have seen is coming quickly in Revelation 1:8, in Revelation 22:6-7 and in Revelation 22:12, claiming to be the 'Alpha and Omega' and claiming to be the one who sends' his angel' is none other then Jesus Christ according to verse 20! Let us now see how it is 'Jesus' who 'sends forth his angel'. Lets look at Revelation 22:16:

Revelation 22:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

We have much evidence...

Now some try to say that Jesus has the same title of Alpha and Omega as does the father, because God shares his glory with him. But let us take a look in scripture in Isaiah:

Isaiah 48:11
11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

and then this:

Isaiah 42:8
8 I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

If God shares his glory which belongs only to him, how is it that God himself says here in Isaiah 48:11 that he does not share his glory with anyone?

Since we can clearly see that the one who says he is Alpha and Omega in Revelation 1:17-18 is the same one who spoke in Revelation 1:8, and in Revelation 1:8 he calls himself the 'Almighty,' isn't it true then, that despite what some try to claim, that indeed Jesus is called the 'Almighty'. And who else is almighty but Jehovah God, the Bible shows us.

Jehova is just another name as hus attribute and character. His name is Jesus, but his describing words, there are a lot. The Old testament describes him as the coming messiah. He has attribute like, Jehova shalom (peace). Jehova nessi ( he reigns in victory). Emmanuel (God is with us) YwH And so on. A lot of biblical names had meanings for a reason. His name is Jesus. This is the title we can know him by. Everything has to be prayed in his name to God and his name be glorified.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder. and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

How can we understand this, the mystery of the pre-incarnate Jesus Christ, come in the flesh, and how a mere child, born like other children, could also be "The everlasting Father."

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The pre-existence of Christ or personal existence of Christ before his conception is shown in the Bible, but the Holy Ghost has to guide us. For some reason, this concept of Christ pre-incarnate or the pre-existence of Christ is very controversial, as people somewhat get confused with the "Title" which refers to Jesus or how He is shown such as the "First and the Last", the "Alpha and Omega" the "Holy One", the "Angel of the Lord". Now we must be clear, Jesus is not a created Angel. He is fully Man, fully God, the Messiah, the Christ, and Lord and Saviour. Jesus is Eternal. Jesus was never created. Jesus is Eternal as the Father and Holy Spirit are Eternal. Jesus has always been and always will be and scripture shows existed before He became the earthly child of Mary.

Let us begin with the birth of Christ and we see in Matthew one of the titles, 'God with us'.

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Just as the prophecy in scripture fortold that from the house of David he would come of a virgin birth......
Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Here it is clear that Christ is God, but immediatly we are posed with a question that must be answered.
Did the Father create or "procreate" another "God?" If He did, This would mean it would be a sin to worship Jesus, because it would violate the first commandment!
“Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.” Isaiah 43:10
The first commandment says,
"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."
On two different occasions John was inclined to worship an angel. He was told by the angel, "See thou do it not: I am a fellow servant, and of they brethren that have the testimony of Jesus." (Revelation 19:10)
Worship of a creature was clearly prohibited in the Bible. Worship of the Creator was another matter and we see it time and time again that Jesus accepted worship and was worthy to be worshipped. Of the Canaanite woman it was said, "Then came she and worshipped Him..." (Matthew 15:25). When Thomas recognized Him as the risen Christ he said, "My Lord and my God." (John 20:28), and the four and twenty elders give worship to the Creator, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Now in the resurrection the Bible tells us that men that are saved are equal to angels. Luke 20:36 "Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." Jesus was not equal to the angels He was equal to God, scripture shows us this.

Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God"
If we look further to the context in Philippians 2:5-8, we understand clearly what Paul is saying:

Talking of Jesus Christ, . . .who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Paul shows clearly that Jesus had existed as a divine Being before His birth, and that He volunteered to divest Himself of much of His glory, power, and prerogatives to become a lowly human being and to die to redeem humanity from its sins. Then we see the following in Hebrews which shows of Christ, 'angels of God worship him' and God says to the Son or Christ, 'Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever', so scripture lays out the path that the Holy Ghost can guide us into understanding.

Hebrews 1:4
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. 7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. 8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

You also have to look at the issue of worship, as God alone is entitled to supreme reverence and worship and man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service or worship. So to worship any other is a sin, but then we have the mystery of the Godhead as Christ was not brought into existence, rather He always existed as one with the Father. We see Christ as the Creator, as Jehovah, as the Great I AM, and appeared in different ways more than fifty times in the Old Testament before coming as flesh in the New Testament.

For any creature to claim the right to be worshipped is blaspheme. In fact the Jews falsely accused Jesus of this. John 10:33 "The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."

So lets look at that...
It is clear that which was pleased to dwell in the firstborn of all creation was gifted not formed.
Col 1:19 from the will of another at a point in history before the world began.

That other also willed.
Col 1:20

You should know that most personal names of the Israelites which include such words as "God," "Lord" (YHWH), etc. were intended to apply to the Father alone. Often their names were meant to praise God (the Father alone).

Personal names made up of more than one word most often have missing minor words ("in," "with," "is,", etc.) which the people of the time understood to be intended.

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2010/01/name.html

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed:
Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree...Gal.3:13

False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. Psa.35:11

all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Rev.21:8

It is clear that which was pleased to dwell in the firstborn of all creation was gifted not formed.
Col 1:19 from the will of another at a point in history before the world began.

That other also willed.
Col 1:20
Its a mystery we will have unveiled when we get to heaven.

You should know that most personal names of the Israelites which include such words as "God," "Lord" (YHWH), etc. were intended to apply to the Father alone. Often their names were meant to praise God (the Father alone).

Personal names made up of more than one word most often have missing minor words ("in," "with," "is,", etc.) which the people of the time understood to be intended.

Christ was the one we see interacting with man, as no man has seen God the Father.

So how did Adam, Abraham, Moses, etc.. talk face to face if no one has seen the Father...

The preincarnate existence of Christ, who is the Almighty God, Jehovah.​

Please quote even just one example of an alleged preincarnate Jesus saying or doing anything in the Old Testament. Thank you.

How one can be a begotten Son as from another with a Father and God but have no starting point or beginning does indeed have a foundation of mystery.
A mystery.
Always echad, one , always with the Father, complete fullness of the Almighty, without beginning, without end, uncreated.
Controversy.
because of bad theology since the first century.

Its a mystery we will have unveiled when we get to heaven.
Or it is/will be/ revealed the same as was revealed to Simon bar Jona that Yeshua is Messiah.
Flesh and blood cannot make this known (i.e. human means doesn't work)
but the Father in Heaven is Well Pleased to Reveal as He Pleases the Truth to little children.

Please quote even just one example of an alleged preincarnate Jesus saying or doing anything in the Old Testament. Thank you.
Isaiah 41:4
Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12
Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Revelation 1:11
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Those don't say that's Jesus talking. Jesus and God share some of the same titles, but there are almost many titles they don't share. Sharing a title doesn't necessitate they be the same person.

This was kind of my point. I wanted someone to at least discover on their own there is not explicit or crystal clear about Jesus pre-existing.

There are only three places in the entire Bible where the title "Alpha and Omega" is used: Rev. 1:8; Rev. 21:6; Rev. 22:13. "Alpha and Omega" as found at Rev. 1:11 in the KJV and NKJV is recognized as spurious by most knowledgeable modern Bible scholars:

Virtually all modern translations do not include in Rev 1:11 the following words that are in the KJV version of that verse:

"Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and,"

This wording at the beginning of the KJV's version of Rev. 1:11 is not found in virtually any NT Greek texts, nor is it mentioned, even as a footnote, in nearly all modern translations or in Bruce Metzger's definitive A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, Second Edition, New York: United Bible Societies, 1994.

There are only three pre-ninth century Greek MSS which attest to this passage [Rev. 1:11], and all three of them omit the phrase "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last." In addition, many later MSS and versions also omit. Hodges and Farstad's "Majority" text omits, and Robinson and Pierpont's "Byzantine/Majority" text omits. Thus whether one bases one's text largely on pre-ninth century MSS, or whether one bases one's text on the Majority of Greek MSS, either way, this phrase should be omitted.

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible

Revelation 1:11. I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last; and--The oldest manuscripts, omit all this clause.
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/jamieson-fausset-brown/revelation/revelation-1.html

The Adam Clarke Commentary

Revelation 1

Verse 11." I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and
"This whole clause is wanting in ABC, thirty-one others; some editions; the Syriac, Coptic, Ethiopic, Armenian, Slavonic, Vulgate, Arethas, Andreas, and Primasius. Griesbach has left it out of the text." - http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?bk=65&ch=1

The truth of the above can be observed by merely examining most Greek NT texts, most Trinitarian Bible translations, or most ancient Greek manuscripts of the NT .

Back