Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Purpose of the Law

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

When we behave selfishly, we bring trouble into our lives. The purpose of the law is go guide us away from selfish behavior.

Yes?

The law brings people to Christ by contrasting unrighteousness to righteousness. It is a schoolmaster. The law is for the sinner.

When we come to Christ through a genuine repentance and faith, crucifying the flesh and forsaking sin, we then walk after the Spirit by faith and thus fulfill the righteous requirements of the law.

We become workers together with God, humbly yielding to His divine influence, putting the grace of God to use through a working obedient faith.

A faith that works by love emanating from a pure heart produces the fruit of righteousness.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Hope this helps.

The law brings people to Christ by contrasting unrighteousness to righteousness. It is a schoolmaster. The law is for the sinner.

When we come to Christ through a genuine repentance and faith, crucifying the flesh and forsaking sin, we then walk after the Spirit by faith and thus fulfill the righteous requirements of the law.

We become workers together with God, humbly yielding to His divine influence, putting the grace of God to use through a working obedient faith.

A faith that works by love emanating from a pure heart produces the fruit of righteousness.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Hope this helps.

Very good explanation Digger! :thumbsup

"Law" is used variously in scripture, can you identify?

The Lord teaches us his law in our individual walks with him. I like to use this verse to describe the experience:

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jer 31:33 RSV

Jeremiah 31 finds its fullfillment in the New Testament of Jesus Christ (Hebrews 8:7-9). The entire law of Moses was taken away with the cross and not simply the ceremonial law.

Jeremiah 31 finds its fullfillment in the New Testament of Jesus Christ (Hebrews 8:7-9). The entire law of Moses was taken away with the cross and not simply the ceremonial law.

But I found at one point of my life that the Lord taught me some “rules†he wanted me to follow, and when I followed those rules, my problems disappeared. My life became a paradise. My life continues to be a paradise as long as I resist temptation.

Thank God for that. The new covenant of Jesus Christ ( the NT ) supplies us with all we need to live in the light and win over temptation ( I Cor.10:13 ).

But I found at one point of my life that the Lord taught me some “rules†he wanted me to follow, and when I followed those rules, my problems disappeared. My life became a paradise. My life continues to be a paradise as long as I resist temptation.
There is some merit to that. When the conscience is clear, we are that much more able to hear that small, still voice of the Lord. When it is muddled, we are often clouded by the confusion we've created in our minds and that voice isn't as clear as it should be.

But... sometimes the Lord has to hit you upside your head so you can hear clearly again. :biggrin

Trust me, I've been there and it hurts. :yes You can't climb over mountains unless you've been in the valley first. ;)

The purpose of the law is to "keep" you, grace saves you, the law keeps you.

The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (Deuteronomy 29:29 KJV)

The great temptations which thine eyes have seen, the signs, and those great miracles: Yet the Lord hath not given you an heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day. (Deuteronomy 29:3, 4 KJV)

Maybe if a person can't see it, they should consider why.

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; (Hebrews 10:16 KJV)

This is something He WILL do, that's a promise. Not an "I might do for some".
If you say the law is taken away, when He says He will write it on our hearts, maybe you should stop and think about it. Why don't most of us have the heart to perceive it, eyes to see it, or ears to hear it? I know I perceive it, see it, and hear it all over the new testament, and there are a few others here that do also.

Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God , and the promises; (Romans 9:4 KJV)

They rejected the adoption they were "born" into Gods family by physical birth and clung to a law they didn't understand, we understand adoption and reject the law, a law we don't understand.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

What is the truth?

Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth. (Psalm 119:142 KJV)

Digger

Since only the Jews were “under†the Law, who is Paul referring to in Galatians 3?

we then walk after the Spirit by faith and thus fulfill the righteous requirements of the law.

How does one fulfill the righteous requirements of the Law without doing what the Law says?

Webb

The entire law of Moses was taken away with the cross and not simply the ceremonial law.

Including the moral Law, right?

Vic C

But... sometimes the Lord has to hit you upside your head so you can hear clearly again.

LOL We all can be a little mulish at times.

Smaller

The law has always been for the lawless.

Who are the lawless? The Jews who disregard the Law, or the Gentiles who never had the Law in the first place.

FC

Broncobilly1972

The purpose of the law is to "keep" you, grace saves you, the law keeps you.

You’re quoting the Law. Some Christians believe the Law has been abrogated. So the verses you quoted out of the Law have little meaning for them. Especially if they think that the only thing the Law was ever good for was to bring people to Christ. They would rather be kept by God apart from the Law.

Perhaps you should quote a few NT passages that have the same idea as the OT verses you quoted. For example,

Matthew 5:
17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
(KJV)

2 John 4 I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.
5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Where are the commandments of God to be found, if not in the Law? It’s true that the summary of the Law is to Love God and to love our neighbor as ourselves. How do we understand what it means to Love God and our neighbor? If not in the Law? What does that summary mean if we can’t understand it by the fuller explanation in the Law itself?

Is the Law really only the Law of Moses given by Moses only to the Jews? Or is it the Law of God, given through Moses to the Jews to share with all of mankind? What does it mean when Paul says,

Romans 3:
1 ¶ What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
5 But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who taketh vengeance? (I speak as a man)
6 God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world?
(KJV)

How can Paul say,

Romans 3: 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus
(KJV)

Or does that only refer to the Jews? How do the Gentiles know they have sinned without the Law to tell them they have sinned? Just as Paul, they are alive until the Law comes to them showing them their sin. How does the Law get written in the heart? By osmosis? Why then does anyone need to read the bible at all? Is the Spirit only capable of writing the Law in the hearts of men? Why not just write it all in the hearts of men and be done with it?

Romans 8:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
(KJV)

Romans 12:
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
(KJV)

Romans 15:
1 ¶ We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
2 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.
3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.
4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
(KJV)

Why is the mind or thinking associated with Spirit? Why does the man who has the Law written in his heart have a mind that is at enmity with God?

Why would anyone who has the Law written in their hearts need to have the mind renewed? Wouldn’t they just need to follow their hearts?

What Scriptures is Paul referring to? Surely the same Scriptures he was referring to in 2 Tim 3. Why would he make such a remark if the Law upon which the OT is based is abrogated? The Law was never a means of Salvation, as the first century Jews misapplied the Law. But as a guide to their daily lives. The Tabernacle ritual, rightly kept, Justified the Jews in that era. In the same way all are Justified. In the same way their father Abraham was Justified. By their faith in the God who provides. After Jesus came, the Tabernacle ritual was no longer necessary because that which the Tabernacle ritual typified had come. The rest of the Law was unaffected. It continues to be, “perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simpleâ€. (Psalms 19:7, KJV) If the Law is abrogated, then surely is that Psalm and every other reference to the Law in the OT. Which abrogates the OT since it is written with the Law as its foundation. Which abrogates the New Covenant as being for the Gentiles, since Jer 31 is written to the Jews. Any application of which would also be for Jews, not Gentiles.

The Hebrew word translated as converting means to cause to turn back or to return. The NASB translates this word as restoring. Another word commonly used to translate this Hebrew word is reviving. This purpose of the Law is lost on Christians who say the Law has been abrogated. In the view I present, there is only two reasons to say the Law has been abrogated. Because they have been deceived by an interpretation. Or because they wish to do what they want to do without being hindered by the guidance of the Law.

Has man changed simply because he is in Christ? Isn’t one purpose of the Law still to guide sinful men? Or are Christians perfectly sinless? Is there no practical meaning to being conformed to the image of Jesus Christ? The one who was without sin, and ergo kept the Law perfectly?

Let he who has ears hear what the Spirit is saying to the ekklesia.

FC

Smaller

Precisely.

FC

Personally speaking, I have been trained and taught the Law from just about every angle out there in the realm. I was taught to avoid it. I was taught to adhere to it. I was taught to understand it in this way and that way and this way and that way (have you ever seen a lassie dance?) I equate it to a similar dance.

Ultimately I had to confront all these variations and sort through them just from a pressing of personal interests, and that led to putting down all of the prior teachings because they were in the end, just somebody else's pale reflections. Then God taught me much more.

I love every Word of God and they all stand, with Divine Purpose and Working Intent, even as we speak.

When a believer engages these matters early on they go through what I went through, and they may land on a spot that they like, and there they will sit. I learned from 'various exposures' that most of those sittings are done by limitations of views, unrequired impositions, imaginations, etc etc. They were largely just the continuing pale reflections of others.

Seeking a perfect reflection is an eternal matter, and one learns to understand that our own imperfect reflections are not worth much. When we learn to stand with nothing, as nothing, God does show such many things. Fine things. Even perfect things that only God can give them and show them. Most of the time, the many who have camped under the flag of some other man will not and can not understand because it isn't and hasn't been given to them to know or to understand from Above.

But in some, they will see the same, as they were given. There is much more to see than a man can sell.

s

Smaller, I like that

"then God taught me much more"

If God teaches us much more, why are we taught to pick up the phone and call a man for understanding, when we are hurting?

Smaller, I like that

"then God taught me much more"

If God teaches us much more, why are we taught to pick up the phone and call a man for understanding, when we are hurting?

A man can only sell us so much. God is much more interesting.

God has brought me to nothing many times. I still stand in those shoes. A man with nothing has nothing to call for.

s

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Psalm 51:17 KJV)

If you've been brought to nothing more than once then, obviously you understand that.

FC to answer your question on why I didn't reference N.T. Verses is because of the law. I think you'll understand.

And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest. And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the Lord your God. (Leviticus 19:9, 10 KJV)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back