Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study the real definition of spirit is life force ???????

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

The Holy Spirit, given to us thru and by Jesus Christ because He was leaving mankind and being resurrected to sit at the right Hand of God the Father in His throne, He gave us the Holy Spirit as a Guide, Comforter, and Instructor so that we could live above sin and bring Glory to Jesus and His Father.

The Holy Spirit is, as you put it, a "life force" to live each day with the Peace of God as we are obedient to the Commands of Christ Jesus because we love Him.

I hope this answers your OP my friend the saintman.

can you say me it ?
The Holy Spirit is one of the three persons (hypostases) of the Holy Trinity; he is God the Holy Spirit.
He is not a "force." He is the giver of life. (Jhn 6:63; 2Co 3:6)
The Jehovah's Witnesses teach that the Holy Spirit is energy. That is heresy.
A 7th Day Adventist told me that the Holy Spirit was God's breath. That's utter nonsense.
The teaching of the Church, concerning the Spirit is that He is the Lord, the giver of life who, with the Father and Son together, is worshiped and glorified and who spoke through the prophets.

iakov the fool

The Holy Spirit is our promise from God that He would never leaves us nor forsake us as we are sealed by His Spirit unto the day of redemption, Ephesians 4:30.

The Holy Spirit helps us to know the will of the Father and teach us spiritual things the carnal mind cannot perceive. We receive power and authority through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Acts 1:8. Jesus explains the purpose of the Holy Spirit and the relationship of the believers to Christ and what relationship the believers have to the world in John chapters 14 and 15.

can you say me it ?

The words ruach and neshamah literally mean wind or breath. Spirit is a metaphorical translation of those two words. One of the reasons there is so much confusion about this subject is because people import the modern understanding of spirit which for many is an immaterial being. However, that's not what the words ruach and neshamah mean.

The words ruach and neshamah literally mean wind or breath. Spirit is a metaphorical translation of those two words. One of the reasons there is so much confusion about this subject is because people import the modern understanding of spirit which for many is an immaterial being. However, that's not what the words ruach and neshamah mean.
We must not deny the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible the modes of language which are common to every other language. (Metaphor) In modern English a person may say they are "blue." That certainly does not mean that they have turned blue in color.

Wind and breath is what the words literally mean when taken out of context as in a dictionary. But it is not what they mean in the context of the vast majority of their appearances in scripture where "an immaterial being" or the immaterial aspect of a person is precisely what they mean.

If you substitute the word "wind" or "breath" for those words when they occur in the Bible, the statements become meaningless.

Mat 3:16 And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the wind (?) descending like a dove, and alighting on him;

1Co 2:14 The unwindy (?) man does not receive the gifts of the Wind of God,(?) for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are windally discerned.

Luk 23:46 Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into thy hands I commit my wind (?) my breath(?) !" And having said this he breathed his last.

iakov the fool :confused2

Yes but the OP is not referring to spirits or the Holy Spirit. "Life force" can apply simply to the existence of life, and when the "life force" is removed, the individual is physically dead.

How do you know what the OP is referring to? No scripture was given.

We must not deny the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible the modes of language which are common to every other language. (Metaphor) In modern English a person may say they are "blue." That certainly does not mean that they have turned blue in color.

Wind and breath is what the words literally mean when taken out of context as in a dictionary. But it is not what they mean in the context of the vast majority of their appearances in scripture where "an immaterial being" or the immaterial aspect of a person is precisely what they mean.

If you substitute the word "wind" or "breath" for those words when they occur in the Bible, the statements become meaningless.

Mat 3:16 And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the wind (?) descending like a dove, and alighting on him;

1Co 2:14 The unwindy (?) man does not receive the gifts of the Wind of God,(?) for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are windally discerned.

Luk 23:46 Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into thy hands I commit my wind (?) my breath(?) !" And having said this he breathed his last.

iakov the fool :confused2

That is called eisegesis, or reading one's theology into the text. Ruach, Neshamah, and pneuma, mean breath or wind. They are used metaphorically of both material and immaterial beings when the qualities of those words are being used descriptively of those beings.They do not carry the definition of an immaterial being. Jesus defined the words perfectly. He said the wind blows and you don't know where it comes from or where it goes, but you see it's effects. Angels and demons are sometimes called spirits as a metaphor. They are invisible and you can't see where they come from or where they go, but you can see their effects. They are like the wind and as such the word wind is used of them in a metaphorical sense.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back