Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study The Real Sabbath Day

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I

israelitenation

paltalk%20feat%20Elder%20sabbath2.jpg

http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/group/1160987065/DisplayGroupDetails.wmt

I just read up on this Shadrock guy, and he seems to be involved with a ministry that is either Messianic Jewish (meaning they do believe in Jesus) or possibly a Christian Organization which has done excessive "roots searching" and believes themselves to be the "real Israel", possibly like how some of the British Christians entertain the theory that they are decendants of the 10 "lost tribes" (I don't know for sure). Either way, they seem Christian but might be Zionist. I can't tell if it is to the point of doing harm or not. Someone would have to look into it more to find out the truth on this - as I only took a cursory glance.

Here's a link on that guy.

For the record it (the ministry - whose website that link takes you to) looks Biblically based though, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with observing the Sabbath for a Christian.

cybershark5886 said:
For the record it (the ministry - whose website that link takes you to) looks Biblically based though, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with observing the Sabbath for a Christian.

There is nothing wrong unless it becomes the primary day of worship. If you rest on that day and honor God or read the Bible or go to Mass or something, sure. Any day you do that on is great. The more the better. However, we are not Jews and we honor Christ's Resurrection on the 8th Day. Christians have always done this and to now go back and claim that we should worship God only or primarily on the 7th Day is neither Biblical nor Christian.

darkwater said:
cybershark5886 said:

There is nothing wrong unless it becomes the primary day of worship. If you rest on that day and honor God or read the Bible or go to Mass or something, sure. Any day you do that on is great. The more the better. However, we are not Jews and we honor Christ's Resurrection on the 8th Day. Christians have always done this and to now go back and claim that we should worship God only or primarily on the 7th Day is neither Biblical nor Christian.
There's nothing wrong with it even if it does become your primary day of worship. I often though of joining a Seventh Day Baptist Church. The problems begin when it becomes legalistic or a requirement for salvation. After all, if we are talking about whether it's biblical or not, you have to admit, God never changed the day of rest and Holy convocation; man did. But we, as Christians, know we are free in Christ, who will become our everlasting rest, to worship any day of the week and to rest our weary bones, once a week.

The other problem is this; many Christians have been taught to call the first day of the week, the Christian Sabbath. There really isn't such a thing. 8-)

Also, please tell your church there are only seven days in a week. Creation isn't a Beatles song. :lol:

actually, it was the apostles weekly routine to worship, or teach on the "sabbath"

Acts 13:14
From Perga they went on to Pisidian Antioch. On the Sabbath they entered the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 13:42
As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the synagogue, the people invited them to speak further about these things on the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44
On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord.

Acts 17:2
As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures

Acts 18:4
Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Also, if you believe the "Bible" the sabbath starts Friday evening at sunset and goes until Saturday at sunset.

How God set up a day:
Genesis 1:3-8
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

A days starts at evening, goes into the day and back to evening. Remember, it was the Holy Roman Empire that changed the day from "evening to evening" to "midnight to midnight"

As far as the "day" of the sabbath, here is what the Word of God says:
Genesis 2:2
2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Exodus 16:26
Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

Exodus 20:10
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates

Exodus 20:11
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:15
Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

Leviticus 23:3
Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Remember, in the old and new testament (for new testament see the top of my post) the sabbath was kept. It was the Catholic church that changed the sabbath from Saturday, the 7th day to Sunday, the 8th day. This was done at the council of the niacin and can be looked up in any encyclopedia under: "the council of the church" and can also be found in the catholic encyclopedia itself.

There is one more thing I might add here. How long is "forever"? As long as the earth exists? Beyond that? I mean honestly...in your own opinion how long is "forever"? This is a very important question. Because now I want to look at the "word of God" and think about something. Is God a lier? Does God change? And one more question. what does "everlasting" mean? Eternal? beyond "forever"? Just something you need to consider. So what did God say?

Leviticus 24:8
Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.

Leviticus 16:31
It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.

Exodus 31:16
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

Exodus 31:13
Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Exodus 31:16
The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.

Leviticus 16:31
It is a sabbath of rest, and you must deny yourselves; it is a lasting ordinance.

And for those of you who say the Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior done away with it by nailing the law to the cross, let me remind you that it was given before the law and then added to the law as well.

Exodus 20:11
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. [Part of creation, not law]

Genesis 2:2
2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

The "sabbath" was made Holy (set apart to God) from the very beginning...from creation, not when the Law came forth to show us how sinful we are. Something to think about.

The Hebrew expression yohm hash·shab·bath´ is drawn from the verb sha·vath´, meaning “rest, cease.†(Ge 2:2; 8:22) In Greek, he he·me´ra tou sab·ba´tou means “sabbath day.â€Â

The word sabbath is first used at Exodus 16:23 for the nation of natural Israel, at the same time as was the supplying of manna. In speaking through Moses as the leader of the nation and mediator of the law covenant, God told the Israelites: "How long must you people refuse to keep my commandments and my laws? Mark the fact that Jehovah has given you the sabbath. That is why he is giving you on the sixth day the bread of two days. Keep sitting each one in his own place. Let nobody go out from his locality on the seventh day."(Exodus 16:28,29) The fact that some of the Israelites went out to pick up manna on the seventh day, in spite of direct instruction to the contrary, shows that Sabbath observance was something new.

Then, while Moses was on Mount Sinai receiving the Law covenant, God told him: "As for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘Especially my sabbaths you are to keep, for it is a sign between me and you during your generations that you may know that I Jehovah am sanctifying you. And you (the sons of Israel) must keep the sabbath, for it is something holy to you. A profaner of it will positively be put to death. In case there is anyone doing work on it, then that soul must be cut off from the midst of his people. Six days may work be done, but on the seventh day is a sabbath of complete rest. It is something holy to Jehovah. Anyone doing work on the sabbath day will positively be put to death. And the sons of Israel must keep the sabbath, so as to carry out the sabbath during their generations. It is a covenant to time indefinite. Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite."(Exodus 31:13-17) That there was uncertainty in handling the case of the first recorded Sabbath breaker after the Law had been given at Sinai also shows that the Sabbath had only recently been instituted. (Nu 15:32-36)

After having come down from upon the mountain, Moses now said to the Israelite nation: "These are the words that Jehovah has commanded, to do them: Six days may work be done, but on the seventh day it will become something holy to you, a sabbath of complete rest to Jehovah."(Exodus 35:1,2)

Then forty years later, just before the nation of Israel entered the land of Canaan, Moses told them: "Hear, O Israel, the regulations and the judicial decisions that I am speaking in your ears today, and you must learn them and be careful to do them. Jehovah our God concluded a covenant with us in Ho´reb. It was not with our forefathers that Jehovah concluded this covenant, but with us, all those of us alive here today."(Deut 5:1,2) Thus the sabbath, as part of the Mosaic Law covenant, was not enjoined upon the forefathers of the Israelites, such as Noah or Abraham, but only upon the nation of Israel. Nowhere do we read that any of God's servants, prior to the nation of natural Israel observed the sabbath.

The weekly Sabbath was made an integral part of a system of sabbaths when the Law covenant was formally inaugurated at Mount Sinai. (Ex 19:1; 20:8-10; 24:5-8) This sabbatical system was composed of many types of sabbaths: the 7th day, the 7th year, the 50th year (Jubilee year), Nisan 14 (Passover), Nisan 15, Nisan 21, Sivan 6 (Pentecost), Ethanim 1, Ethanim 10 (Atonement Day), Ethanim 15, and Ethanim 22.

Hence, the sabbatical law ended when the Law covenant was fulfilled by Jesus, for the apostle Paul wrote that "Christ is the end of the Law."(Rom 10:4) And in writing to the Colossians, Paul said that God "blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees and which was in opposition to us; and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake."(Col 2:14) This "handwritten document" was the Mosaic Law covenant, for this was the nation's law code. Only the nation of Israel observed a "new moon or a sabbath".(Col 2:16; Compare 2 Kings 4:23)

When Jesus said that "the sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath; hence the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath" (Mark 2:28), what was he saying ? Jesus knew that God had instituted the Sabbath as a sign between God and the nation of Israel, and that it was meant to bring them relief from their labors. Jesus also was aware that his own death would provide the basis for setting aside the Mosaic Law, by his fulfilling it. He appreciated that the Law, with its sabbath requirement, provided “a shadow of the good things to come.†(Heb. 10:1; Col. 2:16, 17) In connection with those “good things†there is a “sabbath†of which he is to be Lord.

Jesus could not circumvent the Law, for he said: "Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill."(Matt 5:17,18) Hence, Jesus Christ fulfilled the Mosaic Law covenant. The apostle Paul wrote that "by means of his flesh he (Jesus) abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, that he might create the two peoples in union with himself into one new man and make peace."(Eph 2:15)

The complete Mosaic Law, with it's Sabbath arrangement, was “abolished,†“blotted out,†taken “out of the way.†(Eph 2:13-15; Col 2:13, 14) Consequently, the whole system of Sabbaths, be they days or years, was brought to its end with the rest of the Law by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. This explains why Christians can esteem “one day as all others,†whether it be a sabbath or any other day, with no fear of judgment by another. (Ro 14:4-6; Col 2:16) Paul made the following expression concerning those scrupulously observing “days and months and seasons and yearsâ€Â, including the sabbath: “I fear for you, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting you.†(Ga 4:10, 11)

When one is married, he or she is bound by the marriage "covenant" or contract. However, when either mate dies, these are freed from this "covenant", being able to enter into a "new" covenant or marital contract. Thus the Law, with it's sabbaths, "died" as respects those who became Christians (Rom 7:4), with these being "discharged from the Law, because we have died to that by which we were being held fast, that we might be slaves in a new sense by the spirit, and not in the old sense by the written code." (Rom 7:6), when Jesus was impaled upon the torture stake, and these are now under the "law of the Christ".(Gal 6:2) The Mosaic Law covenant, after having served it's purpose for over 1500 years, was made "obsolete" and replaced with the "new covenant" (Heb 8:13; Jer 31:31-34) that was validated by Jesus shed blood.(Luke 22:20)

The apostle Paul wrote that "that a man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, (including the Sabbath) but only through faith toward Christ Jesus, even we have put our faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be declared righteous due to faith toward Christ, and not due to works of law, because due to works of law no flesh will be declared righteous."(Gal 2:15,16) Paul further said that "if righteousness is through law, Christ actually died for nothing."(Gal 2:21) Thus the need to replace the Mosaic Law covenant with it's sabbath arrangement, with a "new covenant", and requires the exercising of faith. He then says that "the Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith. But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a tutor."(Gal 3:24,25)

Thus, the observance of a sabbath was done away when the Mosaic Law covenant was fulfilled by Jesus Christ and replaced by the "new covenant".(Luke 22:20) The sabbath arrangement is a "shadow" of a future "reality".

Thus, the observance of a sabbath was done away when the Mosaic Law covenant was fulfilled by Jesus Christ and replaced by the "new covenant".(Luke 22:20) The sabbath arrangement is a "shadow" of a future "reality".
Actually, the observance of a sabbath was never done away with at any time. God didn't institute the sabbath only for His glory, He did it for us!

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Mark 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Don't think for one moment we don't need that one day of rest from our secular business. Look around you and see what a seven day work week does to people, their private lives, their family and most of all, their relationship with their Creator.

We need that one day off so bad that God felt it necessary to command it. He knew what would happen, but as always, man seems to be wiser than God. :-?

Hello Vic C,
The observance of the sabbath was removed with the fulfilling of the Mosaic Law covenant by Jesus, his perfect shed blood allowing a "new covenant" to replace it.(Luke 22:20) If we were still to observe the sabbath, then one would have to keep it not only on the seventh day, but also on the seventh year, the fifteith year as well, as well as the days that corresponded to Nisan 14 (Passover), Nisan 15, Nisan 21, Sivan 6 (Pentecost), Ethanim 1, Ethanim 10 (Atonement Day), Ethanim 15, and Ethanim 22 of the Jewish calendar, for there were a system of sabbaths.

The Sabbath was more than just a "day of rest". It served as a reminder that the Israelites had been slaves in Egypt. The weekly Sabbath had some restrictions; no work, laborious or otherwise, could be done (except in the sanctuary). Travel was also restricted, this apparently being based on Exodus 16:29. Even gathering wood or lighting a fire was prohibited. (Num 15:32-36; Ex 35:3) Thus, there was to be no cooking on the Sabbath, for Leviticus 23:2 says that "Six days may work be done, but on the seventh day is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convention. You may do no sort of work. It is a sabbath to Jehovah in all places where you dwell." How many consider the weekly Sabbath as a day of "rest" without giving thought that more was involved ?

For what purpose was the Sabbath given ? The desisting from all labor and observing other God-given Sabbath requirements not only gave rest to the body but, more important, provided opportunity for the individual to demonstrate his faith and obedience through Sabbath observance. It gave parents the opportunity to inculcate God’s laws and commandments in the minds and hearts of their children. (Deut 6:4-9)

The Sabbath was customarily occupied with taking in knowledge of God and attending to spiritual needs, as is indicated by the reply of the Shunammite woman’s husband when she requested permission to go to see Elisha, the man of God: “Why are you going to him today? It is not a new moon nor a sabbath.†(2 Kings 4:22, 23) And the Levites who were scattered throughout the land doubtless took advantage of the Sabbath to teach the Law to the people of Israel.(Deut 33:8, 10; Lev 10:11)

After Jesus’ death, his apostles at no time commanded Sabbath observance. The Sabbath was not included as a Christian requirement at Acts 15:28, 29, or later. Nor did they institute a new sabbath, a “day of the Lord.†Even though Jesus was resurrected on the day now called Sunday, nowhere does the Bible indicate that this day of his resurrection should be commemorated as a “new†sabbath or in any other way. First Corinthians 16:2 and Acts 20:7 have been appealed to by some as a basis for observing Sunday as a sabbath. However, the former text merely indicates that Paul instructed Christians to lay aside in their homes for their needy brothers at Jerusalem a certain amount each first day of the week. The money was not to be turned in at their place of meeting but was to be retained until Paul’s arrival. As for the latter text, it was only logical that Paul would meet with the brothers in Troas on the first day of the week, since he was leaving the very next day.

It is therefore clear that literal observance of Sabbath days and years was not a part of first-century Christianity. It was not until 321 C.E. that Constantine decreed Sunday (Latin: dies Solis, an old title associated with astrology and sun worship, not Sabbatum [Sabbath] or dies Domini [Lord’s day]) to be a day of rest for all but the farmers.

According to Genesis 2:2, 3, following the sixth creative day, or period, God “proceeded to rest on the seventh day,†desisting from creative works with respect to the earth, as described in Genesis chapter 1. The seventh creative "day" is a "day" of "rest" to God and is "sacred" to him.(Gen 2:2,3) This "day", with a span of time of several thousand years,(Heb 4:1-11) has been a time of "complete rest" for him in regard to any further creative activity toward the earth.

The apostle Paul shows in Hebrews, chapters 3 and 4, that the Jews in the wilderness failed to enter into God’s rest, or sabbath, because of disobedience and lack of faith. (Heb 3:18, 19; Ps 95:7-11; Num 14:28-35) Those who did enter the Promised Land under Joshua experienced a rest, but not the full rest to be enjoyed under the Messiah. It was only typical, or a shadow of the reality. (Jos 21:44; Heb 4:8; 10:1) However, Paul explains, “there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God.†(Heb 4:9)

Those who are obedient and exercise faith in Christ thereby enjoy “a sabbath resting†from their “own works,†works by means of which they formerly sought to prove themselves righteous, for the apostle Paul said of the Jews, that "because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God."(Rom 10:3)

What was the Sabbath under the Mosaic Law covenant a "shadow" of ? While on earth, Jesus Christ referred to himself as “Lord of the sabbath.†(Matt 12:8) The literal Sabbath day, which was meant to bring the Israelites relief from their labors, was “a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.†(Col 2:16, 17) In connection with those “things to come,†there is a sabbath of which Jesus is to be the Lord. As Lord of lords, Christ will rule all the earth for a thousand years from his heavenly throne. (Rev 19:16; 20:6) During his earthly ministry, Jesus performed some of his most outstanding miraculous works on the Sabbath. (Luke 13:10-13; John 5:5-9; 9:1-14) This evidently shows the kind of relief that he will bring as he raises mankind to spiritual and physical perfection during his coming Millennial Rule, which thus will be like a period of sabbath rest for the earth and mankind.(Rev 21:1-4)

Trust me, I know all that. I am also aware of all the manmade rules that were added to the weekly sabbath and all the hedging over the years to find the loopholes in those rules.

None of it takes away from what I posted above though and in the purest form of the commandment, I believe it still has relevance. That was the point of my post. Do you work seven day a week?

I'm not trying to make this a doctrinal issue; I'm not an Adventist. 8-) As for your statement about the Apostles not commanding sabbath observance, well they really didn't address many of the 10 commandments, did they? Actually, Luke mentioned the sabbath many times in Acts.

Acts 13:14, Acts 13:27, Acts 13:42, Acts 13:44, Acts 15:21, Acts 16:13, Acts 17:2, Acts 18:4

Hello vic C.,
It is only natural that the Sabbath should be mentioned or used in the account of Acts, for the apostle Paul and others were traveling to places where Jews were and thus still observed the weekly Sabbath. Luke provided details that helped the reader to understand what day, as reckoned by the Jews, that certain events were happening.

The mentioning of the Sabbath was not to say that Christians were to observe this day as those who were under the Mosaic Law covenant. If the Sabbath were still in force, the question then arises as to why the apostle Paul could say that "one man judges one day as above another; another man judges one day as all others" ?(Rom 14:5) If we were to still observe the Sabbath, then Paul could not of said that a "man judges one day as all others", for "one day" would still have been "above another".

The Jews, as a nation, has never accepted Jesus as the Christ or Messiah that is spoken of at Daniel 9. Hence, these ones would continue in their daily worship as prescribed by the Mosaic Law, following the weekly Sabbath. These have never recognized that the Mosaic Law covenant was removed permanently and replaced by a "new covenant".(Heb 8:7,13; 9:15)

Thus, the sabbatical arrangement was a "shadow" of a future time during the thousand year reign of Jesus Christ, for we as humans need relief from all the problems and ill effects of imperfection that afflicts all of us. We need for these to be removed forever, in order to fully enjoy life as God originally intended in the Garden of Eden.(Luke 23:43)

Isaiah was inspired to write of a delicious "banquet of well-oiled dishes, a banquet of wine kept on the dregs." For those who partake of this symbolic "banquet" of spiritual food, these have the hope of "relief" from sin and death remaining "master" over them, for Isaiah 25:7,8 says that God "will certainly swallow up the face of the envelopment that is enveloping over all the peoples, and the woven work that is interwoven upon all the nations. He will actually swallow up death forever, and the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will certainly wipe the tears from all faces. And the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for Jehovah himself has spoken [it]."

During the the Millennial or thousand year reign of Jesus Christ will this occur, so that those who want a genuine hope can find the real meaning of what the "Sabbath" foreshadowed under the Mosaic Law.

It was a wonderful discussion where we dealt with the origins of the Sunday Sabbath, and the "newer" philosophy of getting rid of the Sabbath day all together. There were a few that shared the thought of having sabbath every day but at the end of the discussion we were able to be of one understanding that the Sabbath day is the 7th day and a law of Moses.

Join us this week as we discuss Divination, Witchcraft & today's Church

http://www.israelitenation.com

I don't understand all this confusion. The seventh day of the Jewish week is the Sabbath. The "first" day of the week (the day Christ rose from the dead) is the Lord's Day, the day that Christians worship. That is not hard for me to understand.

There is no biblical basis for Sunday sacredness. Either the Sabbath was done away with in Christ or the seventh day is still valid for Christians.

The first day of the week was gradually instituted in the early church as early as Justin Martyr who argued for it in 150 A.D. However, it was not by apostolic institution or observance that this occurred. The Apostles were Jewish Christians and if they were going to observe any day, it would have been Saturday. The resurrection was never celebrated as a weekly liturgical service.

Jeremiah pointed out quite clearly that Paul went to the synagogue to preach on Sabbath, and he also went to preach ONLY to the Gentiles. The Gentiles BEGGED him to come and preach NEXT SABBATH to them.

The fact that this message wasn't for the Jews but Gentiles, and Paul NEVER spoke of a different day of worship for the 'Christians' is very strong evidence that the Sabbath was observed by Christians and was taken for granted.

As a matter of fact, despite Justin Martyr's arguments and the gradual acceptance of Sunday sacredness (which was mostly due to anti-semitism more than biblical argument), the HEAD CHRISTIAN CHURCH IN JERUSALEM still kept the seventh day Sabbath well into the 4th century.

These things cannot be swept under the rug in favor of a knee jerk reaction to 'abolish the Sabbath in Christ' or say 'Sunday is the new Sabbath' that 'Christians are supposed to keep'.

None of these arguments really hold a candle against the biblical and historical evidence for seventh day Sabbath keeping by God's people and church throughout history.

vic C. said:
The problems begin when it becomes legalistic or a requirement for salvation. After all, if we are talking about whether it's biblical or not, you have to admit, God never changed the day of rest and Holy convocation; man did. But we, as Christians, know we are free in Christ, who will become our everlasting rest, to worship any day of the week and to rest our weary bones, once a week.

Hi Vic, I do agree with you somewhat but we also must take the logic and apply it elsewhere. If we believe that the Sabbath IS valid and it is part of the Moral law, the Decalogue, then doesn't it become important as the rest?

Can we commit murder, false worship, theft and hatred for our fellow man and still be 'saved'? I doubt that is the case. So doesn't that also apply to robbing God of special time and desecrating a holy day?

My question is: Aren't they all linked together? Didn't James say 'if you break one commandment, you break them all'? Are not the implications of Sabbath keeping more serious than merely, 'taking a day off because God knew we'd need it'?

Just wondering.

It appears that Vic and JeremiahD are correct when you simply look at the Bible evidence.

Catholic Crusader said:
I don't understand all this confusion. The seventh day of the Jewish week is the Sabbath. The "first" day of the week (the day Christ rose from the dead) is the Lord's Day, the day that Christians worship. That is not hard for me to understand.

Certainly it is true that there are many many different views on this subject -- but some things are agreed upon - by ALL.

1. There is NO text in all of scripture saying "week-day-one is the Lord's Day".
2. There is no text that says "we observe each week-day-one in honor of our Lord's resurrection"
3. There is NO text in all of scripture that says "the Son of Man is LORD of week-day-one".
4. There is NO NT author that says "we call upon all of our Christian brothers and sisters to join us in weekly observance on week-day-one as a memorial to our Lord's resurrection".
5. There is no text in all of scripture that says "it is our custom to observe a memorial on any day (pick any day you wish) regarding the Lord's resurrection".
6. There is no text in all of scripture that says "God has blessed, sanctified, made holy - week-day one".

Since this is something we all know to be true - the next question is "yes but why keep Sabbath" it was made for Jews - not "made for mankind".

Isaiah 66 "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to Worship"
Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath was MADE for MANKIND not mankind MADE for the Sabbath"
Gen 2:3 (long before any Jews) "God REsted on the Seventh-day therefor HE BLESSED the seventh-day and made it holy".

Yes but that just means it is the Word of God - the Law of God -- why should we as Christians pay any attention at all to it.

1Cor 7 "But what MATTERs is keeping the Commandments of God"
Rom 3:31 "Do we then make VOID the Law of God by our faith? God forbid - in fact we ESTABLISH the Law of God".
Heb 8 "This is the covenant I will make with them.. I will write my Laws upon their heart".

As we see in Rev 12 the saints are those who "keep the commandments of God".

Our role as Christians is to honor God - honor His Word -- to "walk as Jesus Walked" 1John 2 for John says that the "one who claims to know Christ" should "walk as Jesus walked".

In Exodus 16 God says "tomorrow IS the Sabbath" he never says "pick any day in 7 that pleases you - pay no attention at all to the Day I actually sanctified".

in Christ,

Bob

guibox said:
vic C. said:
The problems begin when it becomes legalistic or a requirement for salvation. After all, if we are talking about whether it's biblical or not, you have to admit, God never changed the day of rest and Holy convocation; man did. But we, as Christians, know we are free in Christ, who will become our everlasting rest, to worship any day of the week and to rest our weary bones, once a week.

Hi Vic, I do agree with you somewhat but we also must take the logic and apply it elsewhere. If we believe that the Sabbath IS valid and it is part of the Moral law, the Decalogue, then doesn't it become important as the rest?

Can we commit murder, false worship, theft and hatred for our fellow man and still be 'saved'? I doubt that is the case. So doesn't that also apply to robbing God of special time and desecrating a holy day?

My question is: Aren't they all linked together? Didn't James say 'if you break one commandment, you break them all'? Are not the implications of Sabbath keeping more serious than merely, 'taking a day off because God knew we'd need it'?

Just wondering.

All true.

Well said.

in Christ,

Bob

Whats stopping churches changing it to saturday?I know my local roman catholic church has saturday evening services as well as sundays,though i dont attend that church.

Arj said:
Whats stopping churches changing it to saturday? I know my local roman catholic church has saturday evening services as well as sundays,though i dont attend that church.
It's like most other things denominations cling to... tradition. 8-)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back