Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The shroud of Turin is a fake!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There are various opinions and researches of the shroud of Turin. Some people say that it is the genuine and some that it is the fake and the hoax. The fact is that the shroud of Turin doesn't present Jesus of the Bible. If we can find even one evidence, which disprove the shroud of Turin theory, so the whole story shall be invalidated. We can find a large number of evidence from the Bible, which show that the shroud of Turin cannot be the shroud of the Lord Jesus.

You can read the whole article in here:*

The Shroud of Turin is not the image of Jesus Christ

The Bible does not give a physical description of Jesus, and the Shroud of Turin is not a piece of literature. So yes, the shroud does not present or represent Jesus of the Bible.

What whole story are you talking about? The story of the shroud or the story of the Bible? The shroud is not required for faith in Jesus, and the Bible does not say anything about the shroud.

And not to sound too snippy, but the Bible can be used to prove just about anything when it is taken out of context.

I am not sure if the shroud is authentic or not, but wouldn't it be cool if it was. It is just not a salvation issue.

Jesus didn't have long hair. The impression in the shroud does. Easy.

1 Cor 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

If you look at carvings of the jews during christs time they all had short hair. The only time we see long hair on a man in the bible was if he was under a nazarene vow, like samson.

But jesus wasn't, he didn't have to be. Plus he drank wine and touched dead bodies. Something a man under that vow couldn't do.

PS. I think down to the jawline on a guy can look great. Some guys really suit a ponytail. But when they take it out and it's longer then that it can start looking a bit girly.

(and I don't really see is as a salvation issue, just saying.)

For example it says the reverse about girls with short hair. But in those days women wore head coverings and did all kinds of things with braids etc. In this day and age we can't do that and some girls just don't suit long hair.

If a guy looks girly it isn't a good thing the same as if a girl looks butch. But I think it's more of a guideline then anything else. Just encouraging people to respect their gender.

Some guys don't really suit short hair either. A bit of length rounds out their face shape and shows them at their best advantage. God is for us not against us. He doesn't want us to deliberatly look ugly.

But yeah, the whole long-haired jesus thing is a myth. It doesn't add up with scripture. If you look at pictures of jesus from antiquity onwards you can actually trace the whole development of the image we have of him. Nobody knows what he looked like other then the fact that he wasn't good looking. It tells us that in Isiah. God did that deliberatly so that no one would favour him or his message through unfair bias.

Is 53:2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

*desire in can also be translated as 'take delight in' or 'covet'

Last edited by a moderator:
PPS. Jack Sparrow in Pirates of he Caribbean looked great with long hair. But he had braids and a scarf.

Dreads sometimes look good too. But when you get a guy with long hair flowing in the breeze it can take the edge off his masculinity. Even american indians braided their hair and wore head scarves etc.

I can't see God keeping anyone out of the kingdom of heaven for it but it's a good guide, the same as a womans femininity being enhanced by long hair. And I'm just repeating that point because this issue sometimes comes up on christian forums and I think you have to take it in context. Being legalistic about it can rob someone of their looks, and you don't want that.

(And I really don't believe that God does either.) Orlando Bloom for example also looked great as legolas in LOTR and he suits chin length hair. He had a short ponytail in POTC and he and johnny depp were the heartthrobs.

Guys with strong jawlines can probably afford longer hair then those without in terms of past the chin. Some guys look really nice with their hair pulled back in a ponytail. It outlines their features really well. Perhaps more flatteringly then any other style. So yeah. I think a lot boils down to the final effect.

Honestly who really cares if it is fake or not. If your faith in God is hinged on a piece of cloth you have bigger problems.

I just took a look at some Shroud of Turin images and it does not look like the hair is that long. It is not short, but it is definitely not shoulder length hair like a woman would wear it.

I also would be weary of using old carvings or paintings as a reference. Those things usually portray those of wealth and power. People who could afford a barber or someone to write their story and paint their picture.

Common folk, like Jesus, are usually not described in literature of any kind.

Now this does not solve the mystery of the shroud, but I believe it keeps it open.

The Shroud of Turin doesn't portray the image of Jesus. The Shroud of Turin holds the image of Jaques de Molay, who was the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar. He was killed and then wrapped in this cloth.

Or that's what I heard...

1 Cor 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

If you look at carvings of the jews during christs time they all had short hair. The only time we see long hair on a man in the bible was if he was under a nazarene vow, like samson.

But jesus wasn't, he didn't have to be. Plus he drank wine and touched dead bodies. Something a man under that vow couldn't do.
Correct.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind:

Paul was a Roman citizen and it was customary for Roman men to cut their hair.

Most Jews then were afforded their own customs by the Empire.

Jesus was know as Jesus of Nazareth. He did not deny that title:

John 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.

High priests were forbidden to shave their hair but weren't allowed it to be long and uncut, so most likely, their hair was long at times, but well kept.

Honestly, the Bible is rather silent on this matter and on the appearance of Jesus, except for one verse:

Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

Take another look at the shroud of turin. It is clearly shoulder length (at least if not longer - you can't see if the hair continues down the mans back.)

, their hair was long at times, but well kept.

That is pure speculation unless you can prove it with scripture.

Archeologist Shimon Gibson with his colleagues found the tomb discovery in Jerusalem 2009. The discovery exposed remains of the man who had suffered leprosy and died tuberculosis. The researches records that deceased have lived in 1-50 A.D. (in the time of Jesus) and the tomb was obviously the family tomb of upper class or priest family.

Gibson said that the man had been buried according to manners of the Jews at that time. The manner was that the body wrapped to linen clothes, and the head wrapped with separate face linen. Gibson said that if the person wasn't actually dead and woke up, he could shake and blow off the face linen and shout for help.

Professor Shimon Gibson said that the shroud of Turin doesn't fit together for burial practices in first century Palestine. Gibson said that the shroud of Turin is a single sheet made with a twill weave. According to Gibson the twill weave was known only from the medieval period.

Shimon Gibson's archeological evidence is accord with the testimony of the Bible. According to the Bible Lazarus and Jesus had been wrapped with linen clothes and the head with the separate napkin.

John 11: And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

John 19:40 Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

John 20:
6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

The Bible gives the testimony that the bodies, hands and feet of Lord Jesus and Lazarus wrapped linen clothes and with the separate napkin. In the case of Lazarus Greek text use from the word graveclothes word keiria, which is in plural. This means that Lazarus' body, hands and feet had been wrapped with several linen clothes. In the case of Lazarus the napkin is in Greek text soudaria and in a singular form. According to John 11:44 Lazarus' head wrapped with the separate napkin (face linen) as his body, hands and feet. Shimon Gibson's archeological discovery's man had been wrapped the exactly same way as the Bible describes wrapping of Lazarus.

John 19:40 the napkin word is in Greek text othonion, which is in this verse plural. John 20:6 the linen clothes is in Greek text othonion and in plural form. John 20:7 the napkin is in Greek soudarion and in a singular form. The discovery of Shimon Gibson with his colleagues is accord with the testimony of the Bible, because Jesus' body, hands and feet had been wrapped with several linen clothes and in His head had been separate face linen (the napkin).

According to the theory of the shroud of Turin Jesus' had been wrapped on a large linen (shroud). According to the testimony of the Bible, the shroud of Turin is the deception and the fake.

Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

Leave it to the Bible to give us a description of Christ (two edged sword tongue, bronze feet) that our minds can't fathom :lol

God is funny :biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back