Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The True Light was coming into the world when Jesus was 30 years old

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Runningman

John 1:9 says "The true Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world." This refers to the present tense.

For context, John the Baptist had come as a witness to testify about the Light according to John 1:6-8. At this point, Jesus was already 30 years old (Luke 3:23, John 1:35-37) by the time he had began his ministry.

So John 1:9 refers to the true Light coming into the world in the present tense, yet Jesus had already been in the world for 30 years.

The True Light gives light to all men and John 1:30 says Jesus is a man.

This means John 1:1-14 is about about the word of God manifesting in a man as just as 1 John 1:1-3 more plainly say.

All of this means Jesus isn't God. He isn't the True Light.

Who is the True Light? The True Light is God. God is the Father. He is the only true God, but Jesus is the one He sent.

John 17
3Now this is eternal life, that they may know You,[Father] the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.

John 1:9 says "The true Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world." This refers to the present tense.

For context, John the Baptist had come as a witness to testify about the Light according to John 1:6-8. At this point, Jesus was already 30 years old (Luke 3:23, John 1:35-37) by the time he had began his ministry.

So John 1:9 refers to the true Light coming into the world in the present tense, yet Jesus had already been in the world for 30 years.

The True Light gives light to all men and John 1:30 says Jesus is a man.

This means John 1:1-14 is about about the word of God manifesting in a man as just as 1 John 1:1-3 more plainly say.

All of this means Jesus isn't God. He isn't the True Light.

Who is the True Light? The True Light is God. God is the Father. He is the only true God, but Jesus is the one He sent.
There is a lot of context you left out, completely divorcing verse 9 from everything around it. Why? That simply is not how proper exegesis is done and all but guarantees a wrong conclusion.

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Jhn 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Jhn 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Jhn 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Jhn 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
Jhn 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Jhn 1:7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him.
Jhn 1:8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
Jhn 1:9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
Jhn 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
Jhn 1:11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.
Jhn 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
Jhn 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Jhn 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Jhn 1:15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”)
Jhn 1:16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
Jhn 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Jhn 1:18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known. (ESV)

Who did John the Baptist bear witness about? Jesus. And what does he clearly say about Jesus? That although Jesus came “after me . . . he was before me.” How can it be both? We know that Jesus was conceived after John and that John started his ministry first. So, John is right in two ways that Jesus came after him. But, yet, John the Baptist still says that Jesus was before him.

How can he say that? Precisely because of what John wrote in verses 1-18. The purpose of the prologue is to show the reader who Jesus is and who he was (the Word; the Son) prior to becoming flesh. John is clearly showing us that the Son preexisted with God and so was God in nature. He then “became flesh and dwelt among us.”

That is all supported by the many verses in which Jesus himself says he was not of this world but came from above. I have provided those verses more than once and you have continually ignored them, yet they fully support what John wrote in 1:1-18 and what John the Baptist says—“he was before me.”

The true light can only be referring to the Son. There is simply no way that it is the Father in this context.

As to your argument to the present tense:

Jhn 11:27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.” (ESV)

Does that mean that while Mary was talking to Jesus he wasn’t actually in the world but was still to come? You made an unwarranted assumption about what John means by “was coming into the world.”

John 17

3Now this is eternal life, that they may know You,[Father] the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.
Which not only does not mean Jesus is not also truly God, eternal life is knowing both the Father and the Son.

There is a lot of context you left out, completely divorcing verse 9 from everything around it. Why? That simply is not how proper exegesis is done and all but guarantees a wrong conclusion.

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Jhn 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Jhn 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Jhn 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Jhn 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
Jhn 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Jhn 1:7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him.
Jhn 1:8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
Jhn 1:9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
Jhn 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
Jhn 1:11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.
Jhn 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
Jhn 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Jhn 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Jhn 1:15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”)
Jhn 1:16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
Jhn 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Jhn 1:18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known. (ESV)

Who did John the Baptist bear witness about? Jesus. And what does he clearly say about Jesus? That although Jesus came “after me . . . he was before me.” How can it be both? We know that Jesus was conceived after John and that John started his ministry first. So, John is right in two ways that Jesus came after him. But, yet, John the Baptist still says that Jesus was before him.

How can he say that? Precisely because of what John wrote in verses 1-18. The purpose of the prologue is to show the reader who Jesus is and who he was (the Word; the Son) prior to becoming flesh. John is clearly showing us that the Son preexisted with God and so was God in nature. He then “became flesh and dwelt among us.”

That is all supported by the many verses in which Jesus himself says he was not of this world but came from above. I have provided those verses more than once and you have continually ignored them, yet they fully support what John wrote in 1:1-18 and what John the Baptist says—“he was before me.”

The true light can only be referring to the Son. There is simply no way that it is the Father in this context.

As to your argument to the present tense:

Jhn 11:27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.” (ESV)

Does that mean that while Mary was talking to Jesus he wasn’t actually in the world but was still to come? You made an unwarranted assumption about what John means by “was coming into the world.”

Which not only does not mean Jesus is not also truly God, eternal life is knowing both the Father and the Son.
Given that we now know with certainty that Jesus isn't the True Light, we know that John 1:1 uses personification of words to describe something godly that was with God. It's a parallel to Genesis where God created with words, but not that God's words are a literal person.

As 1 John 1:1-3 says, in the beginning the Word of Life was an it, a thing, that manifested in a man.

As far as John 11:27 is concerned, it isn't used in the same context as John 1:9. The Son of God is not the same person as the True Light.

As John 1:9 says, the True Light who was coming into the world while John 11:27 refers to the enduring and continuous nature of what the woman believes about Jesus in the present tense. It isn't the same narrative that John provided about the True Light, the Father, in John 1:9.

As you can see from 1 John 1, the Light in whom is no darkness is God the Father while His Son is Jesus the human.

1 John 1
5And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you: God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6If we say we have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Back