Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The two witnesses of Rev11:3. . .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stranger

Would any cessationists like to comment on the two witnesses in Revelation 11:3ff? Who WERE these two witnesses?

For the continuationist what do you think about them?

(In general cessationist believe all prophesy has ceased - at the close of the 1st century or around the time that the Canon of scripture was closed.

Continuationist generally believe that prophesy has been with us since the beginning and will be till the end).

In Christ: Stranger

I have no idea what a cessationist or a continualtionist is. However, my personal belief is that the two witnesses in Revelation will be the two men who didn't die but were taken to heaven alive, Enoch and Elijah.

Coincidently, I've been studying a little bit on these wittnesses over the past few days.
I am thinking that they are angelic beings. The reason i'm leaning that way is because of the multitudes of functions that I see God using His angels for throughout the book of Revelations.
I feel angelic beings make more sense than Moses or Elijah would.

I am thinking that destiny is closer to the truth.

take a look at Mark Ch. 9, at the story where Jesus is transfigured before them. We see in this story that John was there. He sees Elias and Moses.

Mar 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh [with him] Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves.... Mar 9:4 And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.

It is just speculation on my part, but I tend to believe that John, who wrote the book of Revelation would not have said simply 'two witnesses' but he would have identified them as Moses and Elias....or any other prophet that he could identify.

There is a common teaching that these two witnesses show up after the rapture, tell all the folks that were left behind that Jesus Christ is Lord, and lead more people to Jesus.
I don't see it this way.

For one thing, the seventh trumpet has not yet sounded. In fact, it is right before the seventh trumpet. I believe that when Paul spoke of the rapture taking place at the last trump, he was referring to the seventh trumpet.

1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed

John tells us very little about them. I believe that Christians are so used to using the word witness in the context of telling other people about Jesus Christ, that we have forgotten some other aspects of the term.

In a court setting, a witness is someone who either saw the bad guy do something and tells the judge about it, or he knows that the accused was wrongfully accused and provides an alibi.

The story of these two witnesses is in the midst of the end times prophesies. John is talking about a beast, then another beast, and all of the terrible things that these beasts have done. I believe that the two witnesses have told the world what they have seen the beast of the bottomless pit do.

Rev 11:7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

(If my regular critics will please notice the word perhaps in my statement. It will save you a lot of typing>>>>>) Perhaps they are going to pull the sheeps suit off of this wolf~~

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back