Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Two Witnesses Of Revelation 11:3

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Many have wondered about the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation 11:3 and the identity of these witnesses. Here is how Revelation introduces them:

Revelation 11:3 - And I will give my power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

These are the witnesses that will eventually be killed and lay dead on the street for three days viewed by all of the world (presumably by television). There will be celebrations because of their deaths. However, I have one theory as to who these two men will be. I believe that it will be Elijah and Enoch. These are the only two men in the history of the Bible to not die but rather be translated in the body into Heaven. There had to be some purpose for God calling them away by these means. I believe that purpose was for this later using. Here is scriptures to support their translation:

[Enoch] Genesis 5:24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews 11:5 -By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found,
because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony,
that he pleased God.

[Elijah] 2 Kings 2:11 - And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there
appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder;
and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

Thoughts?

Apostolic Soldier said:
Many have wondered about the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation 11:3 and the identity of these witnesses. Here is how Revelation introduces them:

Revelation 11:3 - And I will give my power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

These are the witnesses that will eventually be killed and lay dead on the street for three days viewed by all of the world (presumably by television). There will be celebrations because of their deaths. However, I have one theory as to who these two men will be. I believe that it will be Elijah and Enoch. These are the only two men in the history of the Bible to not die but rather be translated in the body into Heaven. There had to be some purpose for God calling them away by these means. I believe that purpose was for this later using. Here is scriptures to support their translation:

[Enoch] Genesis 5:24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews 11:5 -By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found,
because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony,
that he pleased God.

[Elijah] 2 Kings 2:11 - And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there

Thoughts?

Dont forget,,,Moses although God told Moses He was not going to see the promise land for striking the stone twice,,,I believe God was being a little sneaky......I believe God was not going to let moses see a physical death.....So im leaning towards Moses and Elijah......

O I have a really smart friend who believes it might be Gabriel an Michael and believe it or not He presents a good case.....

Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

Why not let the Bible interpret itself. If we use the definitions God Himself gave in His inspired word it is not hard to see who the witnesses are.

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches
If seven candlesticks are seven churches then wouldn't two candlesticks be two churches? So the question becomes which two churches?

The olive tress identify's the two churches for us.

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Jews are the natural branches and Christians are the grafted in branches, so the Jewish people and the Christian churches are the two witnesses.

Zechariah 4 (New International Version)

Zechariah 4
The Gold Lampstand and the Two Olive Trees

1 Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from his sleep. 2 He asked me, "What do you see?"
I answered, "I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl at the top and seven lights on it, with seven channels to the lights. 3 Also there are two olive trees by it, one on the right of the bowl and the other on its left."
4 I asked the angel who talked with me, "What are these, my lord?"

5 He answered, "Do you not know what these are?"
"No, my lord," I replied.

6 So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

7 "What are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of 'God bless it! God bless it!' "

8 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 9 "The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands will also complete it. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you.

10 "Who despises the day of small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
"(These seven are the eyes of the LORD, which range throughout the earth.)"

11 Then I asked the angel, "What are these two olive trees on the right and the left of the lampstand?"

12 Again I asked him, "What are these two olive branches beside the two gold pipes that pour out golden oil?"

13 He replied, "Do you not know what these are?"
"No, my lord," I said.

14 So he said, "These are the two who are anointed to serve the Lord of all the earth."

Last edited by a moderator:
Elijah and Enoch eh? The Mission given the "two witnesses" of Rev.11 certainly parallels how things were on earth during the days of Elijah and Enoch, and even Moses.

Think about all the possibilities though...

Rev 11:4
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
(KJV)

I see two possible literal interpretations. Either that means "the two candlesticks" ARE "the two olive trees", or it means God's "two witnesses" as a TITLE for prophetic office involving judgment (Deut.17:6), and "the two olive trees" is one, and the "two candlesticks" (Churches) is another one.

Because Rev.11 shows all nations will SEE the bodies of the two witnesses lay in the street of Jerusalem, that's pointing to two literal persons being killed in Jerusalem, and their literal bodies left dead out in the open.

The Mission of Moses and Aaron also parallels what those two witnesses are given to do, especially with dishing out the plagues.

that he pleased God.

Thoughts?

Friend, AMEN. I agree with you. Enoch and Elijah fit in with the 2 witnesses

of Revelation 11. These 2 will return from heaven to convert Israel, the Jews,

back to the Church of Christ, back to Christ in His Church. In Erie Scott H.

The church , thats who the Two witnesses symbolize..

I've always thought of it as being Elijah and Moses....

You can't really rule out Elisha either.

But you know, Elijah was supposed to come again and John the Baptist was considered Elijah... Who is to say that the two witnesses won't be like unto John the Baptist who was not Elijah in the literal sense, but in the symbolic sense?

See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. -Malachi 4:5

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. -Jude 1:9

Who was it which was seen with Christ at the transfiguration? Elijah and Moses?

All indications are that it is these two. Literally of symbolically.

that he pleased God.

Thoughts?
If Elijah is one, shouldn't Elisha be the other?

2Ki 2:12 And Elisha saw [it], and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.
2Ki 13:14 Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.

By the way there's no "j" in the hebrew so Elijah would be Eliyah meaning Eli, "my god" and Yah, "I AM". Elisha would therefore mean Eli, "my god", sha "salvation". Jesus is interpreted to mean the same as Joshua which by interpretation is "I Am salvation" which is, true hebrew, Yahsha, "I Am""salvation", the name of Christ. The two olive branches, the reason Christ appears in Revelation among the 7 golden candlesticks, the 2 witnesses!

If John the Baptist was Elijah/Eliyah then wouldn't that make Christ Elisha? Didn't Elisha raise the dead, the only old testament prophet to do so? Daniel chapter 12 says, at the 2nd resurrection, "at that time shall Michael stand up for his people". Who is Michael? If Michael is Christ, wouldn't that make John the baptist Gabriel, the two witnesses. The two of the three men that met Abraham where the bible records that Moses spoke to God face to face. The two angels/men that went to Sodom and Gomarrah. The two olive trees that pour out their oils (life).

This is a bonus:
1Ch 28:18 And for the altar of incense refined gold by weight; and gold for the pattern of the chariot of the cherubims, that spread out [their wings], and covered the ark of the covenant of the LORD.

- Every heard of the two cherbims over the throne in the temple having chariots, the two cherubims with out stretched wings covering the holy seat?

1Ch 28:19 All [this, said David], the LORD made me understand in writing by [his] hand upon me, [even] all the works of this pattern.

If Elijah is one, shouldn't Elisha be the other?

Didn't Elisha raise the dead, the only old testament prophet to do so?

And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth. 1 Kings 17:23

Elijah also raised the dead, these were the only two Old Testament prophets to do so.

I would question whether the two witnesses are people that have already been 'translated' into an eternal body. For them to die at the hands of satan they must be human. Jesus was not killed by satan, nor could he be. Jesus gave his life up and took it up in the resurrection in obedience to the command of His Father.

No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. John 10:18

Last edited by a moderator:
And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth. 1 Kings 17:23

Elijah also raised the dead, these were the only two Old Testament prophets to do so.

I would question whether the two witnesses are people that have already been 'translated' into an eternal body. For them to die at the hands of satan they must be human. Jesus was not killed by satan, nor could he be. Jesus gave his life up and took it up in the resurrection in obedience to the command of His Father.

No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. John 10:18
I just can't understand why my questions are ignored. I asked about Elisha not being sure of Elijah raising the dead, but what about the verses referring to Elisha and Elijah as father and the chariots of God? What about David's description of the two cheribims on the ark with their wheels?

Rev 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

Why not let the Bible interpret itself. If we use the definitions God Himself gave in His inspired word it is not hard to see who the witnesses are.

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches
If seven candlesticks are seven churches then wouldn't two candlesticks be two churches? So the question becomes which two churches?

The olive tress identify's the two churches for us.

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Jews are the natural branches and Christians are the grafted in branches, so the Jewish people and the Christian churches are the two witnesses.

Apparently this correct answer needs to be repeated, more than a year later.:study

For them to die at the hands of satan they must be human. Jesus was not killed by satan, nor could he be. Jesus gave his life up and took it up in the resurrection in obedience to the command of His Father.

Should read;

For them to die at the hands of the beast they must be human. Jesus was not killed by the beast, nor could he be. Jesus gave his life up and took it up in the resurrection in obedience to the command of His Father.

I just can't understand why my questions are ignored. I asked about Elisha not being sure of Elijah raising the dead, but what about the verses referring to Elisha and Elijah as father and the chariots of God? What about David's description of the two cheribims on the ark with their wheels?

Sorry... I was not addressing this part of your theory just confirming that Elijah had raised the dead and that Jesus gave up his life it was not taken from him because I thought that you were suggesting the two witnesses were John and Jesus.

My point was that my thoughts are that the two witnesses are prophets are human beings that have not already lived in the flesh and been translated into an eternal body.

Why assume that the two witnesses have to prophets of the past? e.g. Elijah or Moses.
Could they be two new prophets previously unknown?

that he pleased God.

Thoughts?
Jesus stated that the return of Elijah had in fact happened with john the baptist, i suspect it will be ezekial, and John the revelator. Because of the sweet little book they were both given to eat. in any case the example of Elijahs return as John shows the two witnesses could be anyone.

in the old testamony it is allready being told that there will be two indeed yes.
one of them book says the reason might be that if one of them looses or wins and falls down and...(gets cold) that the other witness could comfort him....

as to who they are im sure john was a pure man and he clearly says i am not elija, not saying that elija is one of the two. but just saying.

there is also a part where 2 are blesses and the one who blesses them blesses tem at the same time, by holding a hand upon each one. to which one get a lill upset or confused and says your right hand should be on the head of that one....

realisticly seen in my vision and opinion jesus surely was one of of these two.

now i dont believe a man will ever again be walking the face of this earth and truly carying the name elijah in his pasport or id.

in my mind leaving me with the fast result of investigation. tah to determine wich, who or wat one number two is. depends on the testamony that the witness has to give..

jesus surely testified or witnessed.(mozes ok a great figure but more somewhat of an employe in my eyes, which was required)

i'll just speak my honest mind.

jesus is one of the two, to me.
the other one makes my mind pop to timothy...
(elijah is not an option but an assumption and is mentioned in name..)
(timothy as name can also not be...)

let me return a question
can u accept jesus as one of the 2 (human witnesses..)?
and what witness as testification woud the other one need to have?

(now i' easily believe anything..)
but selfishness i despise, so again i ask :help

what would it be that points the second witness. or the first? what would either one of them heve to have lived/experienced or say so, to be annointed as witness?

it is 1.01 am here now so i go sleep, hope i was understandable or so:topictotopic

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back