Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study The Understanding of Luke 10:38-42.

Jacob62

This passage and Thread is not about all women, but about Martha. The text is too long to place here, nothing prevents anyone from looking it up.

1.) The name Martha means "woman." But that is mere coincidence. Today, it is too uncomfortable to realize Jesus used this account to refer to women in general.

2.) Saying "Martha" twice shows Jesus wanted her to pay attention to what He was going to say, rather than onto what she was already busy thinking.

3.) Rather than serve Jesus and Mary something nice to sip on, Martha's immediate statement was to play the victim of Mary not helping her.

4.) She criticized the agenda and leadership of Jesus by questioning His "care." She was even bossy, rudely telling Jesus to "bid" Mary to help her.

5.) Mary wisely kept her mouth shut.

6.) Jesus acknowledged that just because she was "careful and troubled about many things," her compulsive multitasking was not inherently correct.

7.) Even as a special guest in their home, Jesus was not obligated to do whatever she had decided would be best.

8.) Martha could not see right in front of her face on that day the incredible opportunity to learn from The Son of God in her own house, rather than having to hassle at the Synoagogue or Temple amongst the crowds and rude Pharisees. She was oblivious to the loving and personal attention that day from Jesus, who normally was surrounded by desperate throngs.

9.) Martha was busy with her head in La La Land, and Jesus was entirely polite to her as He rescued her from her delusion.

10.) Jesus loved her so much that, even as she was a nice domestic woman, He did not chastise her for disobeying His Sermon on the Mount, where He had commanded hostesses to invite the "poor, maimed, lame, and blind."

11.) Martha had to be well aware of how Jesus was incredibly beset with all the work He had to do every day, becoming exhausted, and needing some quiet time with Mary. Yet, she could not just dial it back, and give Him some slack for relaxation. She needed help to see it is not a good idea to criticize someone who easily handles Satanic Pharisees.

12.) Jesus caught the manipulation and interference of Martha's bossy attitude toward Mary's obedience by bluntly telling her "That good part ... shall not be taken away from her."

13.) This account shows how a multitasking, busy woman thinking she is doing what is supposed to be domestically envisioned, planned, assembled, lovingly prepared to be "nice" still needs some supervision.

This passage and Thread is not about all women, but about Martha. The text is too long to place here, nothing prevents anyone from looking it up.

1.) The name Martha means "woman." But that is mere coincidence. Today, it is too uncomfortable to realize Jesus used this account to refer to women in general.

2.) Saying "Martha" twice shows Jesus wanted her to pay attention to what He was going to say, rather than onto what she was already busy thinking.

3.) Rather than serve Jesus and Mary something nice to sip on, Martha's immediate statement was to play the victim of Mary not helping her.

4.) She criticized the agenda and leadership of Jesus by questioning His "care." She was even bossy, rudely telling Jesus to "bid" Mary to help her.

6.) Jesus acknowledged that just because she was "careful and troubled about many things," her compulsive multitasking was not inherently correct.

7.) Even as a special guest in their home, Jesus was not obligated to do whatever she had decided would be best.

8.) Martha could not see right in front of her face on that day the incredible opportunity to learn from The Son of God in her own house, rather than having to hassle at the Synoagogue or Temple amongst the crowds and rude Pharisees. She was oblivious to the loving and personal attention that day from Jesus, who normally was surrounded by desperate throngs.

9.) Martha was busy with her head in La La Land, and Jesus was entirely polite to her as He rescued her from her delusion.

10.) Jesus loved her so much that, even as she was a nice domestic woman, He did not chastise her for disobeying His Sermon on the Mount, where He had commanded hostesses to invite the "poor, maimed, lame, and blind."

11.) Martha had to be well aware of how Jesus was incredibly beset with all the work He had to do every day, becoming exhausted, and needing some quiet time with Mary. Yet, she could not just dial it back, and give Him some slack for relaxation. She needed help to see it is not a good idea to criticize someone who easily handles Satanic Pharisees.

12.) Jesus caught the manipulation and interference of Martha's bossy attitude toward Mary's obedience by bluntly telling her "That good part ... shall not be taken away from her."

13.) This account shows how a multitasking, busy woman thinking she is doing what is supposed to be domestically envisioned, planned, assembled, lovingly prepared to be "nice" still needs some supervision.

Very insightful.

I think we all know of women who tend to have attributes like Martha. I know I have.

Jesus told her straightforward but lovingly that what was best at that moment in time, was to minister to Him (because He wouldn’t be with them much longer.)

However there is a balance. Today the everyday work around the house needs attention and it is usually those like Martha that get the mundane daily, thankless chores of the family household accomplished.

Thank God for Martha’s.

Thank God for Mary’s.

It is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them. Ecclesiastes 7:18 NASB

JLB

Very insightful.

I think we all know of women who tend to have attributes like Martha. I know I have.

Jesus told her straightforward but lovingly that what was best at that moment in time, was to minister to Him (because He wouldn’t be with them much longer.)

However there is a balance. Today the everyday work around the house needs attention and it is usually those like Martha that get the mundane daily, thankless chores of the family household accomplished.

Thank God for Martha’s.

Thank God for Mary’s.

It is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them. Ecclesiastes 7:18 NASB

JLB
Yes. Thank God for those blessed women who are somehow able to respond to loving correction and leadership as did Martha. Jesus placed her in Scripture to provide Hope for all mankind.

Regards.

Reactions: JLB

You're awfully hard on Martha, something Jesus was not.

And, by the way, who was the believing one when their brother Lazarus died? (John 11:20-27) Oh, it was Martha. And who blamed Jesus for Lazarus death? Oh, it was Mary. (John 11:32)

You have simply found and forced an incident in the Bible to use to elevate your own spiritual superiority.

So, which one do you identify with? Martha who complained about Mary not helping? Or, Mary, who blamed Jesus for Lazarus death?

Or, are you better than both?

Quantrill

You're awfully hard on Martha, something Jesus was not.

And, by the way, who was the believing one when their brother Lazarus died? (John 11:20-27) Oh, it was Martha. And who blamed Jesus for Lazarus death? Oh, it was Mary. (John 11:32)

You have simply found and forced an incident in the Bible to use to elevate your own spiritual superiority.

So, which one do you identify with? Martha who complained about Mary not helping? Or, Mary, who blamed Jesus for Lazarus death?

Or, are you better than both?

Quantrill
I am not sure how I tried to elevate myself. Thanks anyway for your insights.

Can you perhaps show which of my statements about Martha was in error? Remember, Jesus was soft upon nobody, even as a guest in different homes. He openly criticized all error upon Spiritual matters. He never chatted about light things.

God Bless your thoughts.

I am not sure how I tried to elevate myself. Thanks anyway for your insights.

Can you perhaps show which of my statements about Martha was in error? Remember, Jesus was soft upon nobody, even as a guest in different homes. He openly criticized all error upon Spiritual matters. He never chatted about light things.

God Bless your thoughts.

Could you answer my question?

Quantrill

Could you answer my question?

Quantrill
About being better than either of them? Sorry, I have no idea, other than to say neither they nor I should step outside of our own boundaried identities in the Kingdom. I would never want to be equal to either of them. Lol.

But that is a valid question, since it is shown in Scripture Heaven has hierarchy, particular assignments, and a variety of experiences.

Sometimes we women get so busy tending to company that we forget to enjoy the company before us. Mary's first thought was about listening to what Jesus spoke, but Martha to busy to just sit and listen.

Martha was "worried and bothered about so many things" as so many of us are. "But only one thing is necessary", perhaps Jesus was telling Martha and us that there will always be worries and cares. But there will only be one thing that is above all of those cares in priority. "Mary has chosen the good part", setting aside all of the ordinary chores of the day and listening to Jesus. Martha ignored the fact that if Jesus was in need of any thing, His Father would provide for Him and those that followed him "think fish and bread", Mary saw an opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus and just love him and learn from him. Martha saw an opportunity to serve Him, which is a kind action but at the cost of not recognizing that Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve. May be Jesus was telling Martha to chill and enjoy the opportunity to be with the Savior, maybe that is what He is telling us to. When given an opportunity to spend time worshipping or praying or resting in Jesus, that is "choosing the good part". If we seize that opportunity, it will not be taken from us, although we may still have the ordinary chores to do, perhaps we can do those without the worry and bother.

Martha was "worried and bothered about so many things" as so many of us are. "But only one thing is necessary", perhaps Jesus was telling Martha and us that there will always be worries and cares. But there will only be one thing that is above all of those cares in priority. "Mary has chosen the good part", setting aside all of the ordinary chores of the day and listening to Jesus. Martha ignored the fact that if Jesus was in need of any thing, His Father would provide for Him and those that followed him "think fish and bread", Mary saw an opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus and just love him and learn from him. Martha saw an opportunity to serve Him, which is a kind action but at the cost of not recognizing that Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve. May be Jesus was telling Martha to chill and enjoy the opportunity to be with the Savior, maybe that is what He is telling us to. When given an opportunity to spend time worshipping or praying or resting in Jesus, that is "choosing the good part". If we seize that opportunity, it will not be taken from us, although we may still have the ordinary chores to do, perhaps we can do those without the worry and bother.
Yes. Restating all of this serves well. Blessings.

About being better than either of them? Sorry, I have no idea, other than to say neither they nor I should step outside of our own boundaried identities in the Kingdom. I would never want to be equal to either of them. Lol.

But that is a valid question, since it is shown in Scripture Heaven has hierarchy, particular assignments, and a variety of experiences.

Point of your response is found in your words,..."I have no idea". To which I agree.

Quantrill

Sometimes we women get so busy tending to company that we forget to enjoy the company before us. Mary's first thought was about listening to what Jesus spoke, but Martha to busy to just sit and listen.
Yes, Thank you for showing how it is best to first reference one's self and one's own demographic in order to correctly grasp the Word of God. And, the notion of sometimes is very factual and full of Godly Wisdom.

Eve in the Garden, as she had no sin nature before sinning, thought in terms of sometimes, and of how things just seemed to be. Ever since then, the ongoing value of self musing has guided the rebellion of mankind against Godliness.

Blessings.

Yes, Thank you for showing how it is best to first reference one's self and one's own demographic in order to correctly grasp the Word of God. And, the notion of sometimes is very factual and full of Godly Wisdom.

Eve in the Garden, as she had no sin nature before sinning, thought in terms of sometimes, and of how things just seemed to be. Ever since then, the ongoing value of self musing has guided the rebellion of mankind against Godliness.

Blessings.
It was a general statement comparing not only myself, but other women by what I said. When you were a kid did your mother hurry herself to clean the house before company came to visit and stay in the kitchen to prepare the meal?

It was a general statement comparing not only myself, but other women by what I said. When you were a kid did your mother hurry herself to clean the house before company came to visit and stay in the kitchen to prepare the meal?
What? Lol.

No mother's domestic activities relate to literally hosting the Son of God in a house for lunch. Jesus did not appear in the image of average people. He was far more than any other person.

Thanks for chatting.

What? Lol.

No mother's domestic activities relate to literally hosting the Son of God in a house for lunch. Jesus did not appear in the image of average people. He was far more than any other person.

Thanks for chatting.
You just don't get it. I'm not talking about hosting Jesus. Do you know what a general statement is?

Never mind, it's not worth discussing a one sided discussion.

Back