Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study THE Urim and the Thummim

jgredline

OK, Bible students....Tell me. what is the Urim and the Thummim

Ex 28:30
30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron’s heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.

jgredline said:

Ex 28:30
30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron’s heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.

It seems to me I've heard that they were used in the breastplate to act as a sort of medium for communication....

Something like a question would be asked and the stones on the brestplate would light up in an alphabet sequence of characters, in essence spelling out the answer (or, judgment?).

I'll have to do more research on that....maybe Ginsberg has an answer.

From Ginsberg.....

The twelve stones in the breastplate, with their bright colors, were of great importance in the oracular sentences of the high priest, who by means of these stones made the Urim and Tummim exercise their functions. For whenever the king or the head of the Sanhedrin wished to get directions from the Urim and Tummim he betook himself to the high priest. The latter, robed in his breastplate and ephod, bade him look into his face and submit his inquiry. The high priest, looking down on his breastplate, then looked to see which of the letters engraved on the stones shone out most brightly, and then constructed the answer out of these letters. Thus, for example, when David inquired of the Urim and Tummim if Saul would pursue him, the high priest Abiathar beheld gleaming forth the letter Yod in Judah's name, Resh in Reuben's name, and Dalet in Dan's name, hence the answer read as follows: Yered, "He will pursue."

The information of this oracle was always trustworthy, for the meaning of the name Urim and Tummim is in the fact that "these answers spread light and truth," but not every high priest succeeded in obtaining them. Only a high priest who was permeated with the Holy Spirit, and over whom rested the Shekinah, might obtain an answer, for in other cases the stones withheld their power. But if the high priest was worthy, he received an answer to every inquiry, for on these stones were engraved all the letters of the alphabet, so that all conceivable words could be constructed from them. [358]

http://philologos.org/__eb-lotj/vol3/p0 ... REASTPLATE

The words themselves stand for "Lights and Perfections" respectively, which is where we get the idea that it communicated God's divine perogative to man by lighting up the stones. I happen to agree with Georges summary. The Urim and Thummim were used much in the same way lots were used, both being divinely guided. Saul sought to reading of the Urim and Thummim before he went into battle and the last mention of them chronologically is in Nehemiah I believe.

Urim and the Thummim: I always took that as a devine "heads or tails" (or, yes or no) to answer hard questions. :-D

Urim and Thummim are words that my in-laws in Arkansas use once in a while.

My mother-in-law will say once in a while, "Urim my house, sit down and shut-up!"

My father-in-law will mutter under his breath, "Thummim must be wrong within' her to be actin' a fool like dat!"

Back