Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The whole trinity thing

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
N

Newkid00

I know this has probably been asked before, but I'm still confused about the whole trinity thing. If there is the almighty God, Jesus our savior, and the Holy Spirit, how is Christianity monotheism. And if you say Jesus is God, why is he called "The Son of God" if he is God?

The word "essences" would be better to use than "persons" at least in my opinion.

The way it was explained to me is that The Father is God, Jesus is God and The Holy Spirit is God. I am not sure exactly what it means. Some people say each person is a trinity. Each man has a mind, a body (or soul), and a spirit. Each of these things are the man, but they are separate. If we are made in God's image, then God would be the same The Father as The Mind, The Son (Jesus) as the Body (or Soul) and the Holy Spirit as the Spirit. They work together. The man is one being, but he has different essences, same as God

I guess it a difference between logic and rhetoric. For example, when you hear someone laughing, your mind (or logic) know that they are not laughing at you, but your emotions(or rhetoric or body) thinks that the person may be making fun of you. (that is very simplistic, but...).

Maybe I can use Mr. Spock from Star Trek as an example. He is half human and half Vulcan. His human half (his emotions) is at war with his Vulcan (his logic. With him, the logic usually wins. With real people, the emotions can win more often it seems.

I sure hope that that is helpful to you.

Newkid00 said:
I know this has probably been asked before, but I'm still confused about the whole trinity thing. If there is the almighty God, Jesus our savior, and the Holy Spirit, how is Christianity monotheism. And if you say Jesus is God, why is he called "The Son of God" if he is God?

Hi Newkid - There are a number of variations on what folks believe of the trinity, and all of them claim the support of scripture to uphold their view. May I ask how you have been informed of the trinity?

Newkid00
Hello....I will be moving this thread over to oppologetics. You will get more action there....

@mutzrein: I just learned, there was no "view" on the whole Trinity thing at my old church.

@ChristineES: So you're saying All three are God, just in different forms?

Newkid00 said:
@ChristineES: So you're saying All three are God, just in different forms?

Yeah, sort of.

I heard a new term to me a few months ago called Modism (I think that is how you spell it). I did research on this and modists beliefs are similiar to that of Trinity except God is in a different "mode" with each form he "assumes". You can use H2O to describe Modism, as water, ice, and steam. I don't think that is exactly what I believe as I don't consider myself a modist. I always thought what they call modism as trinitarian (which proves I don't everything, lol).

Believe it or not, Hindus main god is one god with three faces called "Brahman" the three gods are Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The Christian (and Jewish) God isn't exactly like that either.

The Trinity is hard to understand and as it is not a belief not written about in the Bible, I am not sure we can understand it. The belief of the Trinity comes from calling The Father God in some verses, calling the Holy Spirit God in other verses, and calling Yeshua (or Jesus) God in others (I did not come up with that myself, but from Sunday school teacher I had when I first became a Christian who told me that when I asked him about the Trinity).

I hope I have not confused you.

Newkid00 said:
@mutzrein: I just learned, there was no "view" on the whole Trinity thing at my old church.

Wow, that's interesting. They didn't even talk about it as a fundamental doctrine of Christendom? May I ask what church that was?

Hello New Kid
Here are some things to consider......

The Blessed Trinity.

To deny the trinity is to deny the deity of Jesus Christ.People who deny the trinity also deny that Jesus is GOD.

Here are some simple questions and remarks to start us of. Prayfully consider them.

Why was the early and present day church so concerned about the doctrine of the Trinity?

Is it really essential to hold to the full deity of the Son and the Holy Spirit? Yes it is, for this teaching has implications for the very heart of the Christian faith.

First, the atonement is at stake. If Jesus is merely a created being, and not fully God, then it is hard to see how he, a creature, could bear the full wrath of God against all of our sins. Could any creature, no matter how great, really save us?

Second, justification by faith alone is threatened if we deny the full deity of the Son. (This is seen today in the teaching of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who do not believe in justification by faith alone.) If Jesus is not fully God, we would rightly doubt whether we can really trust him to save us completely. Could we really depend on any creature fully for our salvation?

Third, if Jesus is not infinite God, should we pray to him or worship him? Who but an infinite, omniscient God could hear and respond to all the prayers of all God’s people? And who but God himself is worthy of worship? Indeed, if Jesus is merely a creature, no matter how great, it would be idolatry to worship himâ€â€yet the New Testament commands us to do so (Phil. 2:9–11; Rev. 5:12–14).

Fourth, if someone teaches that Christ was a created being but nonetheless one who saved us, then this teaching wrongly begins to attribute credit for salvation to a creature and not to God himself. But this wrongfully exalts the creature rather than the Creator, something Scripture never allows us to do.

Fifth, the independence and personal nature of God are at stake: If there is no Trinity, then there were no interpersonal relationships within the being of God before creation, and, without personal relationships, it is difficult to see how God could be genuinely personal or be without the need for a creation to relate to.

Sixth, the unity of the universe is at stake: If there is not perfect plurality and perfect unity in God himself, then we have no basis for thinking there can be any ultimate unity among the diverse elements of the universe either. Clearly, in the doctrine of the Trinity, the heart of the Christian faith is at stake. ''

http://www.pro4machineworks.com/The_doc ... inity.html

mutzrein said:
Wow, that's interesting. They didn't even talk about it as a fundamental doctrine of Christendom? May I ask what church that was?

Yeah it wasn't a good church. They aways confused me and never got me into Christianity(I would go to church but I wouldn't be a "Christian"). But at my new one they talk about this and many other things. Because of them I became a true Christian :-D . They talk about it I'm just still a bit confused. I thought maybe you guys can finish clearing it up. ;-)

Newkid00 said:
Yeah it wasn't a good church. They aways confused me and never got me into Christianity(I would go to church but I wouldn't be a "Christian"). But at my new one they talk about this and many other things. Because of them I became a true Christian :-D . They talk about it I'm just still a bit confused. I thought maybe you guys can finish clearing it up. ;-)

Mmmm yes I understand your confusion. And you may find others here who are also confused about this topic. Often there is confusion when someone believes something they can't understand.

And since I am not a trinitarian (ie I do not accept Christendom's commonly held view of the trinity) I am not going to try to explain it. I am however happy to answer any questions you may have about my perspective of things. But please know this, if you are convinced of the trinity, I am more than happy for you to stay that way. If not then I may challenge your thinking.

Whatever, the case, being a true Christian means that you have faith in Christ, the precious lamb of God and I will NEVER dissuade from that.

Newkid00 said:
I thought maybe you guys can finish clearing it up. ;-)

Naaaah. Newkid,

If you are hoping to have this cleared up in forum, you are in serious trouble.

My suggestion is that you take it to the Lord in prayer. Ask Him to guide you to the truth, ans show you what He wants you to believe. Perhaps He can use the forum for that, but you want to make sure that His hand is on you as you search for answers. God wants you to know and believe the truth. The devil does not. If you look for answers before asking God the question, you are going to walk away with more questions and more confusion than you came in with.

May God bless you as you seek the truth in this doctrine.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Naaaah. Newkid,

If you are hoping to have this cleared up in forum, you are in serious trouble.

My suggestion is that you take it to the Lord in prayer. Ask Him to guide you to the truth, ans show you what He wants you to believe. Perhaps He can use the forum for that, but you want to make sure that His hand is on you as you search for answers. God wants you to know and believe the truth. The devil does not. If you look for answers before asking God the question, you are going to walk away with more questions and more confusion than you came in with.

May God bless you as you seek the truth in this doctrine.

Now this is the best advice I have read on this thread....
Lord willing there will be a time when these issues will be able to be discussed in ''this'' forum with out the influence of others who do not believe in the same way as what is put forth in the TOS of this forum....

jgredline said:
Now this is the best advice I have read on this thread....
Lord willing there will be a time when these issues will be able to be discussed in ''this'' forum with out the influence of others who do not believe in the same way as what is put forth in the TOS of this forum....

I agree Gabby & JG. Good advice - and that is why I chose not to initiate discussion on any 'anti' stuff.

After soul searching a bit I came down to this conclusion, this is my view. I believe the Holy Spirit isn't really a spirit at all, to me it's the joy and happiness at being a Christian and worshipping Christ our Lord. Then I believe Jesus wasn't the Son of God, but God. In my opinion there is no trinity, but the joy of being a Christian and Jesus. That's it. No confusing trinity thing in my book. Thank for all the advice. God bless,

Newkid00

It sounds to me as if you are leaning on your own understanding. Something Scripture says not to do.

You need to get into the Word of God, and believe what He says about Himself. What you posted sort of sounds like something that you made up with out reading the Bible.

Are you a new Christian?

And I can add that the Holy Spirit is more than just a "Joyous Feeling" because if that were so then why would it be the unforgivable sin to blaspheme it?

Feelings are deceiving; God's Word is not.

Know God's Word inside and out, and feelings will fall inline with the truth.

Back