Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Woman at the Well

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Luminous_Rose

CF Ambassador
*Woman at the Well*

~John 4:1-42

As we read, we can probably relate to a hot day and being thirsty. We're tired, we would love to sit in the shade and have a cool drink. Even in John 4:6, Jesus sat at Jacob's well and was limited by his physical body. Just like you and me, Jesus sat down, and he was tired and thirsty.

When Jesus asks the Samaritan woman for a drink, she mentions in John 4:9, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" This was a large cultural no-no. Not only did Jews not associate with the Samaritans, but here is Jesus asking for a drink. In this time, asking for a drink and giving and receiving water was more of an open invitation to say, "Hey let's talk. Let's chill a bit." Understandably, the Samaritan woman questioned it.
Jesus knew how to talk to the Samaritan woman. He mentioned this amazing gift of living water. No doubt with this woman, she was not a stranger to gifts as she had been married many times. She listened and soon she abandoned her water jar to go back and tell the town. This is symbolic of her abandoning a physical need of thirst to fulfill a spiritual need - the spiritual need to know God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit in John 4:28.

In a rather humorous moment between Jesus and his disciples we see a difference noted as well between physical and spiritual food in John 4:31-34. We know that physical and spiritual needs are different from each other.

Because of the woman's testimony - it was only one testimony, many of the Samaritans believed and they went out to see Jesus and asked him to stay. Jesus stayed two days, and many of the Samaritans turned their lives around for Christ and they had seen for themselves that Jesus was the true Savior.

In John 4:31-34 we see a somewhat humorous moment between Jesus and the disciples regarding spiritual food vs. physical food. We have our basic physical needs which include food and water to keep our body alive. On the other hand, we have our spiritual needs which include reading The Holy Bible, praying, worshipping and praising God, witnessing to others, and most of all obeying God's laws and the plan that He has for our lives. This is what keeps our spiritual selves or our soul alive. Without our soul's needs being met we will always be thirsty again and again, but when our spiritual needs are met, we won't feel thirsty and we may even feel like our needs are met plus more!
If we were to sit and stare at water in a glass without drinking it and we continued to do so for many days, we would die of thirst, wouldn't we? We have to pick up the glass and drink the water in order for our physical body to be satisfied and we meet this need over and over again each day to survive.

In a similar way, our spiritual body/soul cannot simply go to church, carry a Bible, and sing songs without feeling or understanding the meaning and be quenched. We cannot sit and stare at the material in front of us without truly digging into the meaning and becoming involved the Body of Christ. We need to be actively seeking Christ and fulfilling our spiritual needs to feel our spiritual needs are taken care of.

No matter how much "good" we have in our lives, none of that will quench our spirit without God (refer to Romans 8:6)

Last edited:
This reinforces how important it is to thirst and hunger for God's word. And it's true how great you feel after quenching the spirit.
One testimony brought many to go to Jesus. That's a good lesson!

Definitely! It feels horrible to be spiritually empty..like this void that needs to be filled. I would rather my spirtual thirst be quenched by God!

Exactly, and because of one person, many can be saved - especially if they tell those they know and others make the decision to follow Christ.

What stands out to me about this story is that Jesus promised that the water He would give would be "living water." , i.e. water for eternal life so that she would not thirst again. For He said:

"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water. " (John 4:10 (NIV)

The gift is contingent upon faith..in that he says "If you knew...who it is that asks you for a drink.." To know Him (accept Him) is to receive the living water...new life in Christ. I love that!

I love the way Jesus did this. Asking a Samaritan for help got her attention straight away. She knew this man was different. Then relating the water He was asking for to the living water He wanted her to ask for. She must have been amazed. I wonder how many times she relived those moments in her life. What a testimony she had, and she went and shared it straight away.

Thank you for sharing this! One thing I've always like about this story is the very non-judgmental way Jesus brings up this woman's past and current sins. There is no condemnation, instead he provides a way out - just like he does for all of us. Admitting we need salvation because of sin is the first step to accepting Jesus.
I also love the testimony of the others who believe in Jesus because the woman told them. They acknowledge that she was the one who told them but its really Jesus who saved them. A small reminder to keep your eyes on the Savior, not the pastor, friend or relative who led you to Christ. If they end up making a mistake or turning away later in life, you can still rely on Christ.

What stands out to me about this story is that Jesus promised that the water He would give would be "living water." , i.e. water for eternal life so that she would not thirst again. For He said:

"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water. " (John 4:10 (NIV)

The gift is contingent upon faith..in that he says "If you knew...who it is that asks you for a drink.." To know Him (accept Him) is to receive the living water...new life in Christ. I love that!

There are very interesting phrases used like "living water" and they are great to read!

When I think of living water it also reminds me of fountains of living water being poured out all over me as every pore in my body from top to bottom is being filled to overflowing as I bask in the glory of the Lord for what He has done for me.

It sure is nice to feel that spiritual "living water". I remember hearing a pastor on worship night say, "Tonight we are going to marinate in the spirit. Yes, I said marinade like flavoring meat because we need to take some time to soak in God's love." That has always stuck in my mind =P

I love the way Jesus did this. Asking a Samaritan for help got her attention straight away. She knew this man was different. Then relating the water He was asking for to the living water He wanted her to ask for. She must have been amazed. I wonder how many times she relived those moments in her life. What a testimony she had, and she went and shared it straight away.

Exactly, and I always think if one testimony saved many then if each Christian shared His word then there would be even more believers than there are now. It is amazing!

Despite the cultural differences, something amazing happened!

Thank you for sharing this! One thing I've always like about this story is the very non-judgmental way Jesus brings up this woman's past and current sins. There is no condemnation, instead he provides a way out - just like he does for all of us. Admitting we need salvation because of sin is the first step to accepting Jesus.
I also love the testimony of the others who believe in Jesus because the woman told them. They acknowledge that she was the one who told them but its really Jesus who saved them. A small reminder to keep your eyes on the Savior, not the pastor, friend or relative who led you to Christ. If they end up making a mistake or turning away later in life, you can still rely on Christ.

You're welcome and you have more excellent points! Jesus has this amazing way to witness to others! Jesus broke a lot of traditions and cultural barriers because saving a soul or souls is more important than what people think about us. It probably isn't comfortable! You know, it gives me a lot of courage ti reach out to others. If Jesus can do it, He can give us strength to talk with others about Him!

Who says a woman can’t preach? Look how many converted, after the very first sermon!

It's because of this Samaritan woman having ears to hear that she went into the city to testify of those things Jesus spoke to her that caused many to come to Jesus that day. That's all it takes is us testifying of Christ giving no thought of our self.

John 4:39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did. 40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days. 41 And many more believed because of his own word; 42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Nice read ladies!
I always appreciate a womans view on the scriptures.

Have any of you gals considered that a Jewish man was alone at a well with a Samaritin woman?

We know the gal was an outcast because women would get water during the cool of the morning. How do you think other guys looked at her knowing this? Do you think she thought Jesus was going to hit on her?

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts!

Last edited:
We don't really know what thoughts any of them had. At a guess I would think that the woman did not think that, because Jesus a Jew and she a Samaritan. Her thoughts may have been 'why?' I think she would have been full of surprise and question marks.
The other guys would have been very curious when they heard her words. They wanted to know more :sohappy

I would think she was more surprised as this man knew everything about her and the men that she had. At first she would see him as a stranger approaching her . She was so excited about knowing this was Christ or maybe even questioning he was by all he spoke to her. In her excitement she left the water pot to go and testify of him to the others.

I can visualize her running into the city and yelling" Hey everyone, come and see this man, hurry up"

Nice read ladies!
I always appreciate a womans view on the scriptures.

Have any of you gals considered that a Jewish man was alone at a well with a Samaritin woman?

We know the gal was an outcast because women would get water during the cool of the morning. How do you think other guys looked at her knowing this? Do you think she thought Jesus was going to hit on her?

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts!

It does seem like a socially compromising situation, even for today (not because of the Samaritan and Jew thing, but because a single man alone with a woman), but Jesus still handled the situation with grace and love.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back