Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Worker Vs. The Non-worker Who Believes - Part 2

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The Worker Vs. The Non-worker Who Believes

Rom 4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt."

Rom 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

The workers reward is of debt and not grace. This means the worker is one who works to earn salvation by keeping God's law perfectly. One who keeps God's law perfectly would be sinless so his salvation would not be of grace but of debt.

The non-worker who believes is one who does not work to earn salvation. He sins and is therefore in need of grace so he believes in God Who justifes the ungodly (sinner).

In this context Paul uses Abraham to make his point.

Was Abraham a worker who tried to earn salvation by keeping God's law perfectly?

Or was Abraham a non-worker who believed; he sinned yet he believed in God Who justifies sinners as Abraham and Abraham's faith was reckoned righteous?

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]44354[/split] by Ernest T. Bass Titled The Worker Vs. The Non-worker Who Believes

Re: The Worker Vs. The Non-worker Who Believes

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]44354[/split]

"Through" isn't "by". And it isn't I who conditions salvation on faith. As you've quoted-its an Apostle of Jesus Christ.

Ernest. Yes, Abraham was a sinner just like everyone else, but he believed what God had told him, therefore he was justified by faith. As I've said in other replies, though works don't save, they do reveal a person's faith - the more Christian works you do, the more faith you reveal, whether to yourself, other people, or to God. Hope this helps. Andy

Our 'father' of faith understood his own standing and position, and left a mark of allegorical understandings for us to observe and to follow:

Genesis 18:27
And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

s

Rom 4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt."

Rom 4:5 "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

The workers reward is of debt and not grace. This means the worker is one who works to earn salvation by keeping God's law perfectly. One who keeps God's law perfectly would be sinless so his salvation would not be of grace but of debt.

The non-worker who believes is one who does not work to earn salvation. He sins and is therefore in need of grace so he believes in God Who justifes the ungodly (sinner).

In this context Paul uses Abraham to make his point.

Was Abraham a worker who tried to earn salvation by keeping God's law perfectly?

Or was Abraham a non-worker who believed; he sinned yet he believed in God Who justifies sinners as Abraham and Abraham's faith was reckoned righteous?

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]44354[/split] by Ernest T. Bass Titled The Worker Vs. The Non-worker Who Believes

Well The Lord clears this up in Gen. 26 for Isaac. Gods WORD puts it this way....
[5] [[Because ]] that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

--Elijah

Perhaps James 2:17-21 is needed?
[17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
[18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
[19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
[20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Last edited by a moderator:
James is speaking of works of faith according to the "law of faith" not according to the "law of works" its still "faith". The law is not of faith.
Rahab justified in her works of faith, not by her works of law. Abraham justified by obedience to the "law of faith" , not the "law of works". He obeyed from the heart that which he believed in his heart, not by ANY WRITTEN CODE.

Back