Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study They have gone to far

Lewis

Now I have softened my stance on certain translations, but this one has gone to far.
And I mean way to far, the guy who translated this deserves death.

TESTING THE FAITH
New Bible translation
promotes fornication
Archbishop of Canterbury praises
version for 'extraordinary power'
Posted: June 24, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A brand-new translation of the Bible – praised by Britain's archbishop of Canterbury, that nation’s senior Christian voice – flatly contradicts traditional core Christian beliefs on sex and morality.

Titled "Good as New," the new Bible is translated by former Baptist minister John Henson for the "One" organization, to produce what the group calls a "new, fresh and adventurous" translation of the Christian scriptures.

Archbishop Rowan Williams

The 104th archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams – leader of the Church of England – describes it is a book of "extraordinary power," but admitted many would be startled by its content.

"Instead of condemning fornicators, adulterers and 'abusers of themselves with mankind'," says Ruth Gledhill, the London Times religious affairs correspondent, "the new version of his first letter to Corinth has St. Paul advising Christians not to go without sex for too long in case they get 'frustrated.'"

"The new version, which Dr. Williams says he hopes will spread 'in epidemic profusion through religious and irreligious alike', turns St. Paul's strictures against fornication on their head," adds the Times.

The One organization that produced the new Bible translation is dedicated to "establish[ing] peace, justice, dignity and rights for all." It is also focused on "sustainable use of the earth's resources," challenging "oppression, injustice, exclusion and discrimination" as well as accepting "one another, valuing their diversity and experience."

According to Ekklesia, a London-based "theological think tank" that supports the "One" translation:

The translation is pioneering in its accessibility, and changes the original Greek and Hebrew nomenclature into modern nicknames. St. Peter becomes "Rocky," Mary Magdalene becomes "Maggie," Aaron becomes "Ron," Andronicus becomes "Andy" and Barabbas becomes "Barry."

In keeping with the times, translator Henson deftly translates "demon possession" as "mental illness" and "Son of Man," the expression Jesus frequently used to describe himself, as "the Complete Person." In addition, parables are rendered as "riddles," baptize is to "dip" in water, salvation becomes "healing" or "completeness" and Heaven becomes "the world beyond time and space."

Here's how Williams, the top Anglican archbishop, describes the new Bible: "Instead of being taken into a specialized religious frame of reference – as happens even with the most conscientious of formal modern translations – and being given a gospel addressed to specialized concerns … we have here a vehicle for thinking and worshipping that is fully earthed, recognizably about our humanity."

In addition, notes Ekklesia, the archbishop praises Henson's translation for eliminating "the stale, the technical, the unconsciously exclusive words and policies" in other translations.

Here, according to the London Times, are a few sample passages:

Mark 1:4

Authorized version: "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

New: "John, nicknamed 'The Dipper,' was 'The Voice.' He was in the desert, inviting people to be dipped, to show they were determined to change their ways and wanted to be forgiven."

Mark 1:10-11

Authorized version: "And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from the heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

New: "As he was climbing up the bank again, the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him. A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

Matthew 23:25

Authorized version: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"

New version: "Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

Matthew 26:69-70

Authorized version: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."

New: "Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

1 Corinthians 7:1-2

KJV: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

New: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

1 Corinthians 7:8-7

KJV: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

New: "If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/kitt ... e_o_t_.htm

:o :o :o
I'm with Brutus, I thought the term "devil death" was bad in the message, but this is beyond stupidity.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
...so it does get worse than the message...
Yeah, I have been very disgusted with the message also. This does seem to ice that cake though. Ever see the ebonics translation? Sickening.

When someone puts out a translation like that, they have gone to far, they have twisted the Word of God. The Word of God is nothing to be played with.
This translater should be strung up and beaten.

Lewis W said:
This translater should be strung up and beaten.

And you, when you sin, even after having a "good" translation at your disposal, should you not also be strung up and beaten?

Saints, the Lord is coming back for His Bride.

Not for a bunch of born-again in their spirit yet unregenerated in their soul believers, but a perfect Bride.

This perfect Bride is made up of those who have overcome the corruption found in the world and in the church, and their is just one way to overcome,..... by remaining in our first/best love for the Lord.

This "remaining" in our first/best love is the ground of oneness in which the members of the Bride abide and are thus found in at His return.

Satan knows this and so his most violent attack is against this oneness; and God's word is crucial in His accomplishing this oneness in believers. Therefore we should expect what is being described in the post above to happen.

Just look and know that we are at the end of this age. Look and understand the season, and prepare accordingly.

"Two will be in the field and only one will be taken."

Make as sure as possible that you have a good chance of being that "one".

Let God worry about the others.

In love,
cj

And you, when you sin, even after having a "good" translation at your disposal, should you not also be strung up and beaten?

I have done things in my past, that I thought I should have been shot for.
But this man on purpose has twisted the Word of God, and is leading people who don't know the Word of God, down the wrong road.

And another thing people think just because you are Christian, you should not want corpral punishment done. If the crime fits, so be it. Now if God has mercy on you, so be it. The curse of the Law, was removed, and the moral Law still stands.

Jesus understood this.
LK 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
LK 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

I am saying all this to, say this, sometimes you have to take drastic measures.

I was amazed how the message translation is being used widely, in many books and sermons!! But why ... isn't NIV clear enough? Come on people stop watering down God's holy book and better yet discourage people from doing the same.

CJ and Lewis, before the two of you get into a battle of wits, save it and stick to the issue. The Topic is discussing the validity of this translation, not who sinned how.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
CJ and Lewis, before the two of you get into a battle of wits, save it and stick to the issue. The Topic is discussing the validity of this translation, not who sinned how.

Really then, there is no point to discuss.

Translations don't pop up out of thin air and thus the core of a discussion on a topic such as this is exactly the matter of motivation.

Actually, this matter of motivation is the core of each believer's walk with God.

God used a donkey to deliver a message. Many persons have completely missed the deeper truths contained in the bible and yet been saved in and from what little light they gained. So wherein do we find the "validity" of each situation?

Truth be told,.... the phrase "discussing the validity of this translation" is quite poor in reality. Last I heard/read, everything that occurs must be allowed by God. Given this reality, I would say that any translation has some validity to it having been allowed by God in the first place.

So where does that leave us, "discussing the validity of this translation"?

Nah, that's a waste of time and nothing more than an expression of meaningless vanity.

The NT tells us the way to take for profitable discussions, and this way is the way of coming to see the truth regarding the matter being discussed.

And this was the way I took with these words....

"Saints, the Lord is coming back for His Bride.

Not for a bunch of born-again in their spirit yet unregenerated in their soul believers, but a perfect Bride."

See, the gaining of the Bride is the present focus of God's economy; the Father desires His Son to have a Bride.

And this reality alone is the light under which any profitable discussion concerning any scripture translation can take place.

So you want to discuss the "validity" of this translation?

Then do so under the light of the Father gaining a Bride for His Son.

And to this end it is most obvious that this tranlation has zero "validity", as being humanistic in its focus, all it is purposed to accomplish is a basis for men to further focus on themselves.

Paul declares God's will concerning men with this one all-inclusive speaking....

Colossians 3:1,

"If therefore you were raised together with Christ, seek the things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God..... Set your mind on the things which are above, not on the things which are on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God...... When Christ our life is manifested, then you also will be manifested with Him in glory."

And even more to the point,.... even more clear and revealing, lets read the Lord's words,....

Matthew 16:23, "But He turned and said to Peter, Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me, for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of men."

Mark 8:33, "But turning around and looking at His disciples, He rebuked Peter and said, Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of men."

In love,
cj

Lewis W said:
I am saying all this to, say this, sometimes you have to take drastic measures.

I agree,..... but tell me, when last did a person look at you and see God?

The truth is, the drastic measures should be taken by us.... for our own perfecting.

There is nothing that you or I can do to perfect another, out of our own fallen condition. And when we try, we only end up with our own wayward "translations" of scripture. And God hates this as much as He hates the follishness seen in the translation being discussed.

Saint, when we see something like this taking place what is needed is for us to give ourselves more to the Lord for His perfecting of us so that we become more useful to Him in His economy to contend against the adversary's attacks.

In love,
cj

I understand what you are saying.
cj I am not trying to play God, So why did God institute govrnment Romans 13. Or a lot of the moral laws out of the 613 Old Testament laws. It seems like many people want to make Jesus out of some softy God, which He is gental and hard as nails too. And He knew that sometimes you got to get nasty. Look at what Jesus said in these 2 verses.

LK 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
LK 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

God did give man the power to take care of certain things. Like abortion clinics and other things.

Naraku

I've only see a couple of episodes so I wanted to ask you guys if Naraku is the series Ultimate Villian.

Then Peter having come near to him, said, `Sir, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him -- till seven times?Jesus saith to him, `I do not say to thee till seven times, but till seventy times seven.' (Matthew 18:21-22)

Violence is not the answer. Remember to love thy neighbor and be forgiving. Now, I'm not saying that violence is never to me used. Violence should only be used if it is absolutley nessisary.

Back