Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

True meaning of John' epistle

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

olympia

The true meaning of the Epistle of 1st John

To understand John’s Epistles it is important to know to whom it is written and why.

If one reads the 1st Epistle of John as though it is written to the Gentile church the book is confusing and contradictory, but, if it is read as John is writing to Jews who are still not in obedience to the command to love their Gentile brothers then the book flows and makes sense.

**Reference: Galatians 2:9, “And when James, Cephas (Peter), and John, who seemed to be pillars perceived the grace that was given unto me (Paul), they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen (Gentiles), and they (John) unto the circumcision (Jews).†John is writing to the circumcision; the Jews.

God had separated the Jews from the Gentiles centuries before so that the Jews (Hebrews) would not turn to heathen gods nor follow in their ways.

Deuteronomy 7:1-6, “When the Lord thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and hath cast out many nations before thee, the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations greater and mightier than thou;
2) And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them:
3) Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.
4) For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the Lord be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.
5) But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire.
6) For thou art a holy people unto the Lord thy God: the Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.â€

*note: There were accounts of unspeakable atrocities among the heathen nations, II Kings 6:28-29, is one. I point this out so that one can see better why God chose to separate his people from the nations.

The Jews took the old commandment and ran with it. They developed a bitter hatred for the uncircumcised and became haughty and puffed up, they were God’s chosen people and that was that. They believed that their Messiah was one day going to lift them up above all the people of the earth and that they would rule and rein the world. They did not associate, sit down with, or converse with the Gentiles and if a Jew was caught mingling they were in danger of stoning. At best, in their eyes the Gentiles were worthy of no more than servitude.

But the Hebrew children became as sinful a nation in God’s eyes as the heathen nations.

Reference: Isaiah 1:4-7, “Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the Lord, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.
5) Why should ye be stricken any more? Ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.
6) From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrefying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.
7) Your country is desolate, your cities are burned with fire: your land, strangers devour it in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers.â€

So as it turned out, there was no difference between the Jew and the Gentile, for all had sinned and come short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.

These years of bitterness toward the Gentiles have inspired John to write this epistle. They are in desperate need of correction. Jesus has broken down the middle wall of partition between Jew and Gentile and they must now accept the Gentiles as brothers, a feat that does not come easy.

Jesus Christ, by the will of God ended the old law of commandments to a new commandment that was not new at all, for the commandment had always been to love their brother, but now their brother includes the Gentiles. John admonishes them in hope that they will acknowledge the fact that there is now no difference between Jew and Gentile, bond and free, male and female and that they will fellowship together in love. He wants them to be healed so that their joy may be full (chapter 1: 3 & 4).

As an example Peter who was, years before, healed when he acknowledges the heavenly vision:

Acts 10:28, “And he said unto them, Ye know that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.â€

Still it was inconceivable for most Jews to believe that God, who had once forbidden them to mingle with the Gentile, would now reconcile these disgusting sinners to be to them as brothers.

No longer should this epistle be used to prove us to be sinners:

CHAPTER ONE

1:1 “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of Life.â€

The Jews, exclusively from the beginning, had the oracles of God. They heard the word of God from angels, Mt Sinai and through the law and the prophets. Moses himself read to them from the Holy Scriptures. The oracles of God had been given to the Hebrew children and their hands had handled the Word of Life.

1:2 “For the Life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that Eternal Life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us.â€

John also describes God in Christ in his first chapter. He had been enlightened by God through the Holy Scriptures. They saw Christ’ miracles heard his wisdom and witnessed the cross and his resurrection from the dead. He was that Eternal Life which was in the beginning with the Father when he came unto the world to forgive the world of sin.

John 6:35, Jesus said, “I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.â€

1:3, “That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.â€

This assembly of Jews says they love God, but if they do not love their Gentile brother then they do not honor his Son Jesus Christ.

1:4, “And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.â€

John is writing so their joy may be full. If they do not accept Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world their joy can never be full.

1:5, “This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.â€

Without Christ the world was in darkness. It was written in the scriptures that a light would come out of the darkness and He would be the Light of the whole world.

Isaiah 9:2, “The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.â€

This great Light (Jesus Christ) would take away the sins of the world, thus leaving no darkness at all.

John 1:9, “That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.â€

Isaiah 49:6, “I will also give thee for a Light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the ends of the earth.â€

If Jesus had only been the light of the Jews then there would still have been darkness in the world, but God reconciled both Jew and Gentile at the cross and now there is no darkness at all.

1:6, “If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth.â€

If they say that they have fellowship with God do not acknowledge the Gentile as their brother, then they lie and do not the truth. They are not walking in the light.

Romans 3:29-30, “Is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision (Jews) by faith, and the uncircumcision (Gentiles) through faith.â€

2:2, “And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.â€

1:7, “But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.â€

Christ came with the power to forgive the world of sin. It was this purging of sin that made both Jew and Gentile one in Christ and it is only in this Light that one can truly love their brother. If they believe that the Gentiles were left in sin (in darkness) then they do not believe God. There is only one sin that stands before them and God (all other sins were taken on the cross) and that is the sin of unbelief. If they fellowship one with another, their joy will be full, and they will stand cleansed of all sin.

1:8, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.â€

If the Jews continue to discriminate against their Gentile brother and say that they themselves have no sin, then the truth is not in them and they do not believe God.

1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.â€

If they will confess (acknowledge) that they are not walking in love and keep the commandment of God to love their brother, they will be cleansed from all unrighteousness.

* Sin is singular, not plural in its translation.

1:10, “If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.â€

Hating their brother is their sin. If they will love their brother they will be clean of all unrighteousness.

3:23, “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gve us commandment.â€

If they remain intolerant, they make God out to be a liar and His word is not in them.

What does John mean in I John 1:3 where he states - "that ye also may have fellowship with us" -- who is the "us" here that John is implying ?

by Mysteryman
What does John mean in I John 1:3 where he states - "that ye also may have fellowship with us" -- who is the "us" here that John is implying ?

To avoid persecution most of the Jews seperated themselves from Gentile believers. John wants them to come together so that their joy will be full. The 'us' is John and the Gentile believers.

Paul admonished Peter early on for he was seperating himself from the Gentiles also.

Galatians 2:11, "But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12)For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision."

olympia said:
by Mysteryman

To avoid persecution most of the Jews seperated themselves from Gentile believers. John wants them to come together so that their joy will be full. The 'us' is John and the Gentile believers.

Paul admonished Peter early on for he was seperating himself from the Gentiles also.

Galatians 2:11, "But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12)For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision."

Hi olympia

Let me see if understand you correctly. You are saying that the "us" is addressed to the Jews ?

LIke saying - Would you Jews please have fellowship with us, meaning me John and the gentiles ?

quote: mysteryman
Let me see if understand you correctly. You are saying that the "us" is addressed to the Jews ?
LIke saying - Would you Jews please have fellowship with us, meaning me John and the gentiles ?
Yes and yes.

olympia said:
quote: mysteryman
Yes and yes.

Hi olympia

Thanks for the clarification. But I will have to disagree with you then. Let me explain why.

Paul's ministry was unto the Gentiles and Peter's and John's ministry was unto the Jews. John was not talking to the Jews from which came about from his own ministry.

He was talking to the Gentiles when he spoke those words in I John 1:3. John was speaking to the Gentiles and telling them that they should have fellowship with us the Jews. And I think it is imparative that we understand, that Paul was in Jail when John wrote this letter to the Gentiles.

He wrote this letter in such a manner, knowing that they knew the truth , as indicated in I John 2:21

John also wanted the Gentiles to know that the anti-christ came out of the Jews . Notice John's statement in I John 2:18 & 19. as he points this out. Now John is exhorting them and reminding them. John goes on to tell them, that they need not a teacher to teach them this, as they have been anointed, and that the truth is in them. Read I John 2:9 - 14 and notice the words "fathers" and "young men" and "little children". And also notice that he realizes that they have know him from the beginning, and have overcome the wicked one.

If it was as you have explained, none of this would make any sense. But , if we look at this from the opposite perspective, as well as the proper perspective. We will see that John is talking to the Gentiles as he was coming from the Jewish believers in I John 1:3. I also believe that verse one - I John 1:1 also helps clarify this to be true. The Jews saw, and it was the Jews who first looked upon him etc.

Bless you

Hi mysteryman

Sorry that I did not get back to you sooner, but I try to reference all that I say and that takes time.

I still read John’s Epistle as a Jew writing to his fellow countrymen; the Jews. Any references that I have read are obscure as to the time of John’s writing and to whom he was writing is also unsure. But it is clear to me that he is writing to Jews who were familiar with the OT and the Law and the prophets, of which the Gentiles were not.

We both know that John’s ministry was to the Jews (Gal. 2:9) and Paul’s to the Gentiles (Acts 22:21), and I find nothing to indicate that John changed course because Paul was in prison, if he was indeed in prison at that time, for no one knows the date of John’s writing or the times of Paul’s imprisonment.

Paul was careful not to build upon another mans foundation as I imagine that Peter, James and John were also (Romans 15:20), so I believe that they remained pretty much true to their calling. When Paul was in prison I don’t even see that he called upon John to write his letters for him; he either did it himself or he called upon Sosthenes, Silvanus, Timotheus, Artemas, Tychicus, Zenas, Apollos, but I see no mention of John.

I agree that John wrote his letter in such a manner that shows that his audience knew the truth, but who was it that knew the truth? It was the Jew who had the oracles of God and access to the Law and the prophets which made them privy to the truth from the beginning, something the Gentiles did not have.

Romans 2:18, “And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law.â€

The Gentile church had no problem identifying with Christ, but the Jews did,
so why would John say to the Gentiles: Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? It was the Jews who had this problem. The Jews needed to know that if they are going to worship God they must also acknowledge Jesus Christ.

And as for the anti-christ, anti-christ is only mentioned in John’s Epistles and no where else in the Bible. Why? Because the anti-christ was their own religious leaders. They hated Christ and had him crucified.

John 11:46, “But some of (the Jews) went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.
47) Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
48) If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.â€

53) Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.â€

I read I John 2:9-14 and the words ‘fathers and ‘young men’ and ‘little children’ I see as affectionate terms used over and over again by Jesus in his ministry to the Jews. ‘Fathers’ was a familiar term that spoke of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the fathers of the Jewish faith. Jesus spoke of anyone who enters the kingdom of God must enter as a little child. The young men of course were to follow in the fathers foot steps.

To me this all has a familiar Jewish ring and was spoken to Jews who would know exactly what he was talking about..

And yes they knew their Messiah from the beginning as testified in scripture by the prophets and are reminded that in Christ they have overcome the wicked one.

I will give you a few more examples of why I believe this is written to the Jews.

I John 2:2, “And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.â€

The Jews are being reminded that Christ was the propitiation for their sins, but not for theirs only but also for the Gentiles also which include the rest of the world. I see no other way than to read this as written to the Jews.

And:
2:7, “Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning, the old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Only the Jews were familiar with the Old Commandment.

THE OLD COMMANDMENT in context to this writing:

Deu 7:2, “And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor show mercy unto them.
3) Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.
4) For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the Lord be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.â€

In other words, they were commanded not to mingle with the Gentiles.

THE NEW COMMANDMENT:

Matthew 22:39, “…Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

The theme in the first epistle is to love your brother. I do not see that the Gentiles had a problem loving their Jewish brothers, but the Jews hated with a passion the Gentiles for centuries, it was part of their religion, had a problem loving their newly adopted brothers. And so appropriately he admonishes them to put to an end the keeping of the old commandment and to obey the new.

Colossians 3:11, “Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.â€

To me this epistle makes sense if one reads it as written to the Jews.

Another and one of the most important reasons to read this writing in its proper light is to understand I John 1:8-10. The churches have used these 3 verses to keep their parishioners sin conscious and their offering plates full for centuries. Where ever sin is there is shame and a full offering plate. Anytime a saint claims righteousness in Christ those three verses are whipped out with lightening speed and it is back on your knees you go. It is time for believers to claim their heritage.

Isaiah 54:17, “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and THEIR RIGHTEOUSNESS IS OF ME, saith the Lord.

Most respectfully, in Christ

And as for the anti-christ, anti-christ is only mentioned in John’s Epistles and no where else in the Bible. Why? Because the anti-christ was their own religious leaders. They hated Christ and had him crucified.
:biggrin I just had to repeat that.

Quote olympia: "I agree that John wrote his letter in such a manner that shows that his audience knew the truth, but who was it that knew the truth? It was the Jew who had the oracles of God and access to the Law and the prophets which made them privy to the truth from the beginning, something the Gentiles did not have.

Romans 2:18, “And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law.â€

The Gentile church had no problem identifying with Christ, but the Jews did,

Hi olympia :

I appreciate your careful response and consideration for the scriptures.

However, I underlined two of your comments above , and for a purpose.

Yes, he did write this letter in respect that his audience knew the truth. But notice your comment I put in bold and underlined. Your now claiming that the Jews knew the truth, because they were privy to the truth. I am not sure if you noticed the contradictory comment, claiming that they both knew the truth, then you claim that the Jews were privy to the truth. As if to say they had a greater truth or a better truth. Even though I know you are not saying this. What you are saying is that they knew the truth first. That is true, but it is also irrelevant.

Then the last statement that I underlined is also true. Which shows that they both knew the truth and again I say that this makes this kind of thinking irrelevant.

What happened over the early years of the Church is that Peter seperated himself from Paul. Although Paul reproved Peter for not walking uprightly. They were not enemies, but they each had their own ministries. Peter's ministry was unto the Jews, and John was a part of that ministry. Paul's ministry was unto the Gentiles. And Peter made it perfectly clear that Paul's ministry was to go unto the heathen and his ministry unto the Jews.

Time passes so quickly, even though years go by. John is now telling the Gentiles , by writting this letter unto them ( I John chapter one) to unite them as one. Not literally, but spiritually. Asking them to take their eyes off of any differences that may have arisen. Not that the Gentiles did anything wrong. But that the Jews did wrong by keeping themselves seperate from the brethren gentiles. Not only that, but the very first false brethren came from and were Jews. And they went in unto the gentiles to have them live as the Jews did. As well as having them to follow the works of the law. Something the gentiles never knew anything of.

John starts of this latter epistle by mentioning to the gentiles in verse one, that we Jews from the beginning which have heard and seen with our eyes. Something the gentiles never did. They never saw nor walked with Christ, nor did they walk with any of his disciples even after his resurrection and ascention. But the Jews did. So John is expressing his stance from a Jewish perspective in verse one. Then John establishes this thought in verse 3 again by starting out by saying - "we have seen and heard declare we unto you" < The word "you" here is speaking unto the gentiles.

In verse 3 we see John drawing the gentiles towards unity by declaring that -"ye may have fellowship with us" < here the word "us" is refering to the Jewsish believers.

John goes on to say that they knew the truth, and that that is not why he is writting unto them. Not that they didn't know the truth, but because they did know the truth.

I can give you many reasons as to why Paul is in Jail. But take note of what John is expressing here. The gentiles do not have Paul to lean on. John comes in from the Jewish believers and trys to unite them in belief. He reminds them (the gentiles) in chapter 4 and verse 1 , not to believe every spirit , but try the spirits whether they are of God : because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

None of this would have been said or explained unto the Jews. The truth was, that all of the first false prophets and false brethren and false apostles came out from the Jews first ! John emphasises this in I John 2:19 when he said - "They went out from us (Jews), but they were not of us (Jewish believers)"

Give this some thought.

Bless you - MM

Hi mysterman,

Well, I have spent a couple of days considering your point of view and then it dawned on me that I spent 20 years trying to read the epistle of John thinking that it was written to the Gentiles and could not make heads or tales of it, so I came to a new perspective and can understand the book fully. You've heard the addage: don't fix it if it ain't broken? I cannot go backward!

I Love you bro, May God richly bless you

olympia said:
Hi mysterman,

Well, I have spent a couple of days considering your point of view and then it dawned on me that I spent 20 years trying to read the epistle of John thinking that it was written to the Gentiles and could not make heads or tales of it, so I came to a new perspective and can understand the book fully. You've heard the addage: don't fix it if it ain't broken? I cannot go backward!

I Love you bro, May God richly bless you

Hi olympia

Bless you as well. Just know that my heart and love is why I explained the epistle of first John to you. Which I am sure you are well aware anyways.

In his love - MM

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back