Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

TV series "The Bible"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi everyone. The TV series "The Bible" just started airing over here in Australia. Watched it up until the part on Sodom and Lot. Could not believe the amount of errors it contained. When the angel started fighting like a ninja warrior and hacking people up Id had enough and changed the channel to watch a guy catching giant sturgeon fish instead. I was expecting something a lot better, something actually containing truth as in Gods Word instead of the error ridden way it was all depicted. A person said to me that they heard someone say it still showed the Bible story and was good for unbelievers to see anyway but to me God's truth is God's truth and should not be tampered with like they did in this show. They could have just as easily shown it correctly but chose not to. In choosing not to, they have tampered with God's Word. Bringing God's Word to people requires us to be faithful witnesses, faithful in the telling and retelling of what It contains. If God says something happened a certain way and then tells us so in the Bible then that is exactly how it should be retold. We have no poetic license to change one little thing. Something was seriously amiss with that show. To me, deeper than just containing a few errors.

Hi everyone. The TV series "The Bible" just started airing over here in Australia. Watched it up until the part on Sodom and Lot. Could not believe the amount of errors it contained. When the angel started fighting like a ninja warrior and hacking people up Id had enough and changed the channel to watch a guy catching giant sturgeon fish instead. I was expecting something a lot better, something actually containing truth as in Gods Word instead of the error ridden way it was all depicted. A person said to me that they heard someone say it still showed the Bible story and was good for unbelievers to see anyway but to me God's truth is God's truth and should not be tampered with like they did in this show. They could have just as easily shown it correctly but chose not to. In choosing not to, they have tampered with God's Word. Bringing God's Word to people requires us to be faithful witnesses, faithful in the telling and retelling of what It contains. If God says something happened a certain way and then tells us so in the Bible then that is exactly how it should be retold. We have no poetic license to change one little thing. Something was seriously amiss with that show. To me, deeper than just containing a few errors.

I found problems with it as well, and did not have to watch it very long to see it deviate from the true bible story. Then again, I'm wondering how much those who put it together know about the bible, and is it a deliberate attempt to make it more like Hollywood to catch attention, or are they taking some poetic license because they know no better? Maybe they hastily read over the bible stories or just read about the stories.

You have to take into account this generation's ignorance and how fortunate we are to be called to study and know the bible. Bible movies and programs in the past were more accurate because even the movie producers probably went to church as we all did at one time and learned this stuff just as people learn reading and math in school. But people don't go much longer since about the last 3 decades and are becoming very ignorant.

My wife and I actually enjoyed the series and she got it for me on DVD for our anniversary. However, I do agree it is not the most biblically accurate film based on biblical events. Though the scriptures don't necessarily specify, I have a hard time believing that Samson was black. But when it comes to the parts with Jesus, it does point people to the gospel. Maybe not as well as "Passion of the Christ", but I'd have to say the gospel is the most important part. As far as bible movies that are biblically accurate, I really like the bible movies that TBS did in the 90s (Joseph, Moses, David, Jacob, Abraham, and Samson & Delilah). Joseph (with Ben Kingsley as Potifar) was my favorite of those movies and they are more biblically accurate as a lot of other bible movies are. I'd like to own them all on DVD someday. I have them on my wish list on amazon.com.

When I first heard of this I wondered whether it would be true to the Bible and read a review that was done on it, so thought OK I'll watch.
I don't understand (or maybe I do) why IF you are going to portray the Bible why you can't simply stick to the whole truth. The scene in Sodom was like a martial arts fight scene and it was interesting that the sin of Sodom was never referred to. I went back and read the review in full and noted that the directors admitted that they did take some liberties which in itself begs the question WHY?
If you are going to tell the Bible story then do just that, it is all there in TRUTH for us there is never any need to change it to make it more palatable or entertaining. Are we not warned in Revelation about adding and taking away from the Bible? (Rev 22:18-19)
It is a serious thing to tamper with God's word.

[MENTION=96773]thankful[/MENTION] Hello and welcome! :wave

It's rare that any movie or tv show based on the Bible remains true to the Scriptures. Some do a better job than others, but most deviate somewhere along the line. I've only seen a couple of episodes of this particular series and the several I saw were OK...

But, I ask the same question thankful asked: why not just stick to the "script"?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Dave, in Sodom the Angels did not go into the house wounded to hide. They were, in the Bible, invited into Lot's home and had a feast, meal with him. In the TV show the people of Sodom just wanted to beat them up and no reference was made to them being there to virtually rape them, or "know" them as it is written in the Word. That was just two of the things that turned me right off it. Sodom was known for homo sexuality, it's greatest sin, but it was not even implied. I agree Thankful, that tampering, adding or subtracting from God's Word is not on and the Bible tells us clearly that it isn't. Yes, why not stick to the script. Dark reasons for them not too.

Thank you handy for the welcome.

I have decided that if I have the truth here in the Bible then I am not going to waste my time watching something that has errors or doesn't tell the whole truth.

Mixing a little error here and there among the truth works very well for the enemy so I refuse to give place to that.

Sometimes the simplest thing to do is the hardest!
:yes

Good thing I don't watch the mind control box.

Shows are called <i>programs</i>

Its mainstreem media. Expect error. Expect propaganda.

Learn about the agenda of theosophy, and you'll that Hollywood and the media are full of occultists that want to tamper with the message of the one true God of Isaac Jacob and Isaac; Jesus Christ.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Dave, in Sodom the Angels did not go into the house wounded to hide. They were, in the Bible, invited into Lot's home and had a feast, meal with him. In the TV show the people of Sodom just wanted to beat them up and no reference was made to them being there to virtually rape them, or "know" them as it is written in the Word. That was just two of the things that turned me right off it. Sodom was known for homo sexuality, it's greatest sin, but it was not even implied. I agree Thankful, that tampering, adding or subtracting from God's Word is not on and the Bible tells us clearly that it isn't. Yes, why not stick to the script. Dark reasons for them not too.

The people producers, Roma Downey, goes to school that's kind of, well when I checked it out, it appeared to be New Age.

One of the things I didn't like was how they portrayed David and Goliath. It made it appear as though David took on Goliath for the treasures that Saul offered. If I remember correctly David was filled with righteous indignation for God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back