Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

TV Today... It's at Rock Bottom!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

The other night, I actually got a chance to settle in front of the TV, and I started flipping through the channels. It was prime time, so, whatever... EVERY CHANNEL HAD A REALITY SHOW ON IT!! Look at all the reality shows there are!

Cake making
Dancing
Singing
Cooking
Weight loss
Little girl beauty contests
Obstacle courses

Those are just a few of the competition reality shows, but then you have all the ridiculous shows that follow people around. Sometimes, they're former celebrities, but sometimes they're just so bizarre, they compel people to follow them around with cameras.

All you she-people who watch that dancing show. My wife watches that show, and I can't be NEAR the same room she is in when she is. There's that one judge who SCREAMS EVERYTHING SHE SAYS! She cannot simply say anything. She has to scream it!!

I'm just doing a little ranting here, but all this reality TV has got to go. It's the worst! The worst, I tell ya!!!
:mad

The other night, I actually got a chance to settle in front of the TV, and I started flipping through the channels. It was prime time, so, whatever... EVERY CHANNEL HAD A REALITY SHOW ON IT!! Look at all the reality shows there are!

Cake making
Dancing
Singing
Cooking
Weight loss
Little girl beauty contests
Obstacle courses

Those are just a few of the competition reality shows, but then you have all the ridiculous shows that follow people around. Sometimes, they're former celebrities, but sometimes they're just so bizarre, they compel people to follow them around with cameras.

All you she-people who watch that dancing show. My wife watches that show, and I can't be NEAR the same room she is in when she is. There's that one judge who SCREAMS EVERYTHING SHE SAYS! She cannot simply say anything. She has to scream it!!

I'm just doing a little ranting here, but all this reality TV has got to go. It's the worst! The worst, I tell ya!!! :mad

God said that by beholding, one becomes changed. And one wonders if it can get any worse?? Hang unto [your] sanity & BELIEVE why God 'cuts down the hedge' of His Protection in Isa. 5:3-4! We are [IN] Matt. 24:21's time as we post.

--Elijah

I hear ya Mike...

We don't have regular TV, only Netflixs. But still, I've had to pull the plug on a couple of shows that the kids wanted to watch.

The worst of the two (so far :o ):

Teen Mom. Yeah, let's make an entertainment program out of teenage girls getting pregnant and trying to cope with motherhood at an early age. How about this? This is a excerpt from the Wiki showing what's the latest with one of our teen moms:

On November 3, it was reported that (Amber) Portwood agreed to allow Indiana's child protective services to monitor her for up to six months in the wake of her televised assault on ex-boyfriend Gary, which sparked hundreds of public complaints questioning her suitability to be a mother. Portwood was allowed to maintain custody of their two-year-old daughter Leah.<sup id="cite_ref-radarportwood_25-0" class="reference">[26]</sup> On November 18, after an extensive investigation, Portwood was charged with three counts of domestic violence for incidents of abuse inflicted on Shirley that aired on the reality show.<sup id="cite_ref-teenmomcharged_26-0" class="reference">[27]</sup> The same day, MTV released a statement concerning the charges filed on Portwood: "We are cooperating with all parties and hope for a quick and fair resolution that allows everyone involved to move forward in a positive manner." <sup id="cite_ref-MTVRelease_27-0" class="reference">[28]</sup>
On June 15, 2011, it was reported that Portwood was considering a suicide attempt.<sup id="cite_ref-www.people.com_28-0" class="reference">[29]</sup> This was confirmed by a 911 call made by ex-boyfriend Gary, who was concerned over Portwood's highly unusual behavior. She was immediately transported to a local hospital, where it was determined that mental problems caused the attempt. She currently remains hospitalized, and any official word has yet to be released as to whether or not she is in stable condition.<sup id="cite_ref-www.people.com_28-1" class="reference">[29]</sup>
Yep, how entertaining...can't wait to pop some popcorn and watch a young girl crash and burn, leaving a baby behind.

Next one on the top of the lists of shows that won't be aired in the Miller's home:

1000 Ways to Die!

Not since the height of the Roman Coliseum has death been so doggone fun.

Here's the Wiki on this laugh-a-minute comedy:

1000 Ways to Die takes a tongue-in-cheek approach to death through its presentation of stories derived from myths and science, and the show makes liberal use of artistic license to significantly embellish or change the circumstances of real-life incidents that resulted in death for greater entertainment value. A frequently recurring motif is that of unsympathetic individuals' choices backfiring on them, resulting in death. The show is filled with black humor (particularly in the narration) which tempers the otherwise somber theme of death. It portrays the deaths using live-action recreations of the events along with expert and sometimes witness testimony, also using graphic CGI animations, similar to those used in the popular TV show CSI, to illustrate the ways people have died. A narration provides background information within each death-story, which all end with titles that are puns on popular figures of speech. A warning is displayed at the start of every episode. Despite this warning, it should be noted that most of these stories are based on urban legends or supposed incidents that have not been confirmed (much like the famous Darwin Awards).
I had to sit down with Viola (regarding Teen Mom) and Thomas (regarding 1000 Ways to Die) and explain to them that no...there are some things about the human condition that we shouldn't be entertained by. Viola tried to plead the case of Teen Mom by saying it showed why teen girls shouldn't get pregnant (yep, educational) and Thomas tried to plead the case of 1000 Ways to Die by pointing out that it mostly is about only "pretend" deaths...but, mean, narrow-minded me...didn't care.

Wow, Dora. :sad

A few things...

These networks have absolutely no creativity. I know that's not a novel statement, but wow. Something like a game show is a hit, and there's 30 game shows that follow. A Reality TV show is a hit, and here they all come.

Apparently, their all so cheap to produce, the networks are just frothing a the mouth will all of the people willing to give up evening after evening to watch.

These people who participate in these shows have absolutely no shame. They will put themselves in any compromising position to get their 15 minutes. And the shows with the judges are the worst. They are on their own power-trip, like they have these peoples' lives hanging in the balance of their decisions. Get over yourselves!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back