Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Undermining the bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Heidi

One of Satan's best tools is trying to get Christians to undermine the bible. And he does an excellent job. 2 Timothy 2;14, "Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen."

We sure need to be reminded alright because Satan is always present and always enticing us to quarrel about words. In fact, quarreling about words constitutes most of the biblical arguments online. It is trying to redefine words like "is", "eternal" or the word "one" in MT. 23:10 and other words that we all learned in elementary school to keep people from believing the simple words in the bible. One of Satan's favorite tactics is that one has to go back to the "original" translations to understand the bible. :lol He tries to entice people to believe that God can't make His word known to all nations. But God showed us at Pentecost that he can even do that without the written word!

Quarreling about words ruins those who listen to the point that many churches are now abandoning the bible because they can justify anything they want if they add to, subtract from or change the words around in the bible. It is what people use to justify the lie that homosexuality is not a sin, or why we should call priests 'fathers' or evolution, or an old earth, etc. or any other false teaching.

Once again, God is not diveded so he will not tell one person one thing and another person the opposite. It's people who are divided because they quarrel about simple words. That's why 1 Corinthians 11:19 tells us, "No doubt there have to be divisions among you to show which of you has God's approval." Those who have God's approval don't quarrel about simple words because God uses simple words to reveal himself to His chosen.

But unfortunately, quarreling about words has become so popular that it has actually been an expected practice when reading the bible. :o People who look up simple words in the Hebrew and Greek are considered scholars because they look to other sources instead of believing the simple words in the bible. :o But all this does is create confusion and comes from a lack of faith that the bible is true.

In that case, we might as well throw the bible away since it can be so easily changed to suit one's itching ears. And unfortunately, that's what's happening in today's society. :crying

So I'm reminding you; Stop quarreling about words because it is of no value and ruins those who listen. You can be rest assured that those who continue to quarrel about words are Satan's servants because not only are they they disagreeing with 2 timothy 2:14, they don't have the capacity to believe the bible as written.

I think having discourse about what it is we are reading is healthy. I also think relying on others that translated the material only and taking that word for word is inherently dangerous. With most biblical passages written in Greek, this can change the meaning of passages when translated directly into the English language. Also, we are missing context and history of passages that will help better explain the meaning an enrich our understanding of scripture.

To ignore all of this and just state "do what is written, period" without understanding these things is context. We could be doing something in direct contradiction to the word by ignoring these dynamics.

Aero_Hudson said:
I think having discourse about what it is we are reading is healthy. I also think relying on others that translated the material only and taking that word for word is inherently dangerous. With most biblical passages written in Greek, this can change the meaning of passages when translated directly into the English language. Also, we are missing context and history of passages that will help better explain the meaning an enrich our understanding of scripture.

To ignore all of this and just state "do what is written, period" without understanding these things is context. We could be doing something in direct contradiction to the word by ignoring these dynamics.

It's only healthy when we are trying to understand God's word instead of debate with people about what it says. But since I have found few people online whose opinion is ever changed, then Paul is right that the differences between Christians are between those who are approved by God and those who are not.

Heidi said:
Aero_Hudson said:

It's only healthy when we are trying to understand God's word instead of debate with people about what it says. But since I have found few people online whose opinion is ever changed, then Paul is right that the differences between Christians are between those who are approved by God and those who are not.

Christians approved by God or not or opinions approved by God or not?

Aero_Hudson said:
Heidi said:
[quote="Aero_Hudson":7bc4hr7d]I think having discourse about what it is we are reading is healthy. I also think relying on others that translated the material only and taking that word for word is inherently dangerous. With most biblical passages written in Greek, this can change the meaning of passages when translated directly into the English language. Also, we are missing context and history of passages that will help better explain the meaning an enrich our understanding of scripture.

Christians approved by God or not or opinions approved by God or not?[/quote:7bc4hr7d]

:confused Someone whose "opinion' that homosexuality is not a sin is not agreeing with God's Word. "He who is not with me is against me." Those who are with Jesus agree with everything he said because they know he isn't a liar. Those against him disagree with what he says. God doesn't approve of those who think he's a liar because that would make God a house divided against itself. It's that simple.

Heidi said:
:confused Someone whose "opinion' that homosexuality is not a sin is not agreeing with God's Word. "He who is not with me is against me." Those who are with Jesus agree with everything he said because they know he isn't a liar. Those against him disagree with what he says. God doesn't approve of those who think he's a liar because that would make God a house divided against itself. It's that simple.

Do you understand 100% of what the bible says? Are you infallible in your discernment of it?

Aero_Hudson said:
Heidi said:

Do you understand 100% of what the bible says? Are you infallible in your discernment of it?
I understand the milk. The milk are the simple words that God gives us. Solid food are the deeper truths behind the simple words. They are endless because God himself is eternal. But we're not talking about solid food when one talks about false teachers because they change the worlds around or add or subtract from them. Thus, teachings like homosexuality is not a sin, etc. aren't even subtle because the bible says the opposite in very simple words. One can't possibly get to the solid food underneath the words if he misquotes the words to begin with!

Heidi said:
Aero_Hudson said:
Heidi said:

I understand the milk. The milk are the simple words that God gives us. Solid food are the deeper truths behind the simple words. They are endless because God himself is eternal. But we're not talking about solid food when one talks about false teachers because they change the worlds around or add or subtract from them. Thus, teachings like homosexuality is not a sin, etc. aren't even subtle because the bible says the opposite in very simple words. One can't possibly get to the solid food underneath the words if he misquotes the words to begin with!

I will ask again. Are you always right in your interpretation of scripture? It's a simple question.

That's a question that Satan asks. For example; Leviticus 20:13, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, he has done what it detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

That clearly says that homosexuality is detestable to God. But to get me to doubt that verse, Satan will tempt people to ask me; "How do you know your "interpretation" of that verse is correct? There are many theologians, pastors, and Christians who disagree with you. Who do you think you are? Do you think you know the whole bible? Do you think you're an expert?"

that's Satan trying to get me to doubt what the bible actually says. So sorry friend, I don't interpret the bible. I simply believe it as written. ;) if you don't understand the difference between God's words in the bible and people's interpretation of them, then there's nothing I can do for you.

Heidi said:
That's a question that Satan asks. For example; Leviticus 20:13, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, he has done what it detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

That clearly says that homosexuality is detestable to God. But to get me to doubt that verse, Satan will tempt people to ask me; "How do you know your "interpretation" of that verse is correct? There are many theologians, pastors, and Christians who disagree with you. Who do you think you are? Do you think you know the whole bible? Do you think you're an expert?"

that's Satan trying to get me to doubt what the bible actually says. So sorry friend, I don't interpret the bible. I simply believe it as written. ;) if you don't understand the difference between God's words in the bible and people's interpretation of them, then there's nothing I can do for you.

:lol :lol

I am not even referring to a specific piece of scripture so I am not trying to paint you in a corner. And, by the way, I am not Satan as you pointed out. I find that hilarious.

I will ask one more time in a general context not regarding any specific piece of scripture. Are you always 100% correct in your interpretation of scripture?

Aero_Hudson said:
Heidi said:

I am not even referring to a specific piece of scripture so I am not trying to paint you in a corner. And, by the way, I am not Satan as you pointed out. I find that hilarious.

I will ask one more time in a general context not regarding any specific piece of scripture. Are you always 100% correct in your interpretation of scripture?

If you understood that one doesn't interpret the bible, he simply believes the bible, then you wouldn't ask that question. Since my "interpretation" of scripture is word for word what it says, then I can't explain the bible any better than God does. That's why I always quote scripture when making a point. :)

Heidi said:
Aero_Hudson said:
Heidi said:

If you understood that one doesn't interpret the bible, he simply believes the bible, then you wouldn't ask that question. Since my "interpretation" of scripture is word for word what it says, then I can't explain the bible any better than God does. That's why I always quote scripture when making a point. :)

I think your position is unrealstic. Everyone reads something and tries to determine the meaning of what they just read. The Bible is no exception. I'm sure you know, the Bible is enormous with all of it being written 2000+ years ago and in different languages by people that lived in another time. God inspired or not, these folks wrote scripture from their frame of reference of the day. As a result, Christians, scholars and historians need to discuss what they are reading so they understand context, the history and what the original intent of the work was.

You can try as hard as you like, but you cannot dictate to others that 100% of the Bible is clear cut. It is not clear cut in a lot of cases and has caused countless discussions for thousands of years. That will not end with us. At the end of the day I have to understand what I am reading in order to believe it. If I do not understand it, believing can never occur.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back