Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Understanding "Sukkot" or the "Feast of Tabernacles" (Lev 23:33-44)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ben Avraham

vi) 33 Adonai said to Moshe, 34 “Tell the people of Yisrael, ‘On the fifteenth day of this seventh month is the feast of Sukkot for seven days to Adonai. 35 On the first day there is to be a holy convocation; do not do any kind of ordinary work. 36 For seven days you are to bring an offering made by fire to Adonai; on the eighth day you are to have a holy convocation and bring an offering made by fire to Adonai; it is a day of public assembly; do not do any kind of ordinary work.

37 “‘These are the designated times of Adonai that you are to proclaim as holy convocations and bring an offering made by fire to Adonai — a burnt offering, a grain offering, a sacrifice and drink offerings, each on its own day — 38 besides the Shabbats of Adonai, your gifts, all your vows and all your voluntary offerings that you give to Adonai.

39 “‘But on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you have gathered the produce of the land, you are to observe the festival of Adonai seven days; the first day is to be a complete rest and the eighth day is to be a complete rest. (40) On the first day you are to take choice fruit, palm fronds, thick branches, and river willows, and celebrate in the presence of Adonai your God for seven days. (41) You are to observe it as a feast to Adonai seven days in the year; it is a permanent regulation, generation after generation; keep it in the seventh month. (42) You are to live in sukkot for seven days; every citizen of Yisrael is to live in a sukkah, (43) so that generation after generation of you will know that I made the people of Yisrael live in sukkot when I brought them out of the land of Egypt; I am Adonai your God.’”

(44) Thus Moshe announced to the people of Yisrael the designated times of Adonai.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, we ask ourselves, what is this festival all about? Many might think; "This is a Jewish festival, for the Jewish people" yet when we read verse 37, it reads; "these are the designated times of ADONAI" These are God's Holy convocations, it was just announced first to the people of Israel. These are the fall festivals that symbolize the second coming of Yeshua/Jesus. Of course we do not sacrifice animals like before in ancient times, because Yeshua/Jesus was the "ultimate" and "sacrifice Lamb of God".

This year, Sukkot, or the "Feast of Tabernacles" started on Friday evening, the 29th of September, and this festival will continue for 7 days, and on the 8th day, (October 7th) will be a special time for rejoicing in the Torah/Bible. Praising God and giving thanks that we have HIS Word in our midst.

This is a time when we celebrate the harvest of the fruits of trees. During the time of Passover, it was the harvest time for Barley, then on Pentecost or Shavuot, it was the wheat harvest time, and now during Sukkot, it is time to harvest the fruits of trees and vines, such as grapes, olives, dates, figs, apples, oranges, etc.

It is a time to build or spend time in temporary shelters called "Sukkot" or just "huts" (the Israelites lived in tents). It is the time to remember how the people of Israel used to live. Now, not all can do this, if there is no space on property or those who live in flats or apartments, it would be kind of difficult, but one can still take time to study the WORD of God. Just like many people will put out a manger with baby Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, the animals, during Christmas. One could take some small sturdy branches from trees, put them together to form a square, and then cover 4 sides with leaves and plants, leaving the front part open. Inside one could put fruit, could be artificial or real.

This is just a suggestion. It symbolizes this time of harvest blessings that God has given us at this time. The time of Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims when they came to the New World in 1620, was celebrated in 1621, and the "Thanksgiving" celebration was fashioned after Sukkot.

It is customary to make "Lulav" as stated in verse (40) using those plants and fruit. The "Etrog" is a lemon-like fruit that grows in Israel, yet many people just use large yellow lemons. the word ETROG is the acronym for "Emunah" (faith) "Teshuvah" (repentance) "Refuah" (healing) "Ge-ulah" (redemption)

The "Lulav" itself is the tip of a date palm frond. But many people just use a palm branch if a date palm frond cannot be found. The Word "LuLav" can be symbolized as "to him" "heart" (my). "To Him (God) I give my heart"

We have the "Hadas" or "leafy branches from a myrtle tree" or any "leafy" tree if one doesn't have a myrtle tree around. The leaves resemble "eyes"
yet there are many leaves that resemble "eyes" in their shapes. These symbolize "vision" and "insight"

We have the "Aravah" or "branches of a willow tree" These can symbolize humility, also, victory over the enemy. All these are wrapped together to form a Boquete. During the ceremony, this Boquete is "waved" from up to down, from right, to left, front, and behind, symbolizing the blessings of God that come from Heaven to Earth, to bless all nations with harvest blessings, nations in the East, the West, the North, and South.

When we look at this from a Messianic view, Messiah Yeshua (Jesus Christ) is the "First Fruits" in Resurrection, who ascended to Heaven from Earth, and will return from Heaven to Earth and will bless all nations in all directions of the earth with his presence during 1000 years.

During this festival time, Jerusalem was all lit up with 75-foot poles with oil lamps on top, lighting all of Jerusalem and the towns around the area. This was when Jesus stated; "I am the Light of the World" (John 8:12) " because he was there at that festival. On the 8th day, the Great Day of the Feast, the Levite priests brought up water from the Pool of Siloam and poured out the water on the altar in the temple in a ritual. This was when Yeshua stated: "I am the Living Water" (John 7:37)

There is so much more, but I'll leave it here for now. May your understanding of God's Word be blessed, especially during this time.

Ben Avraham
Congregacion "Salem"
San Salvador, El Salvador.

A hut on your lawn could be a nice gospel conversation piece.
Believers are living in temporary shelters because these bodies we're in are temporary,

I must put off my tent 2Pet.1:14

Along with bringing in the harvest,

look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. Jn.4:35

Zechariah 14 tells us that Sukkot will be one of the festivals that all Jews and Gentiles will celebrate together, it would do the mainstream Christian world well to notice this. Further, there are reasonable reasons to believe that Yeshua may have been born during Sukkot.

Zechariah 14 tells us that Sukkot will be one of the festivals that all Jews and Gentiles will celebrate together, it would do the mainstream Christian world well to notice this
Zech.14 says when the Messiah comes,

the LORD shall go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives.....living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; vs.3-4,8

Jesus defeated sin and death and poured his Spirit (living water) out already.

Zech.14 says when the Messiah comes,

the LORD shall go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives.....living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; vs.3-4,8
Verse 16 (NASB) Then it will come about that any who are left of all the nations that came against Jerusalem will go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of armies, and to celebrate the Feast of Booths.
Jesus defeated sin and death and poured his Spirit (living water) out already.
True. But it does not have anything to do with Sukkot (Feat of Tabernacles/Booths).

Verse 16 (NASB) Then it will come about that any who are left of all the nations that came against Jerusalem will go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of armies, and to celebrate the Feast of Booths.
He means, after Jesus conquers death, his followers worship him, living in temporary shelters bringing in the harvest. That's what's happening now!
True. But it does not have anything to do with Sukkot (Feat of Tabernacles/Booths).
Yes it does. It has everything to do with it. You're not listening. You're mixing incorrect beliefs from Judaism wuth what our Savior plainly taught,

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you Lk.10:19

He didn't mean thousands of years from now. He meant by His Spirit. His disciples defeated all of their enemies,

we are more than conquerors through him Rom.8:37

"Going to Jerusalem to worshiip in a temporary shelter while harvesting."

ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, Heb.12:22

That's what his disciples are doing now. Anyone who doesn't follow has no "rain." They don't grow. No fruit. That's all.

Beit Avraham,
Here's the problem,

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zech.14:9

You think this will happen some day. The truth is, some day people will realize God has always been One King and One Lord over creation,

If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the worldis mine, and the fulness thereof. Psa.50:12

Here's the problem, this is the MJ forum, so our beliefs and interpretation of what the scripture says will not always align. The Messianic perspective, and also a fair amount of people outside of MJ, interprets the passage in Zech. to be about the time after the return, it is a messianic passage, not written about something that has just already happened. In MJ thought passages can be interpreted in more than one way at the same time.

I am OK with us having different interpretations of the passage, but please stop accusing me of "mixing incorrect beliefs from Judaism" in the MJ forum.

Christianity came out of the Jewish faith - it would do all of us well to actually look at the passages in question from a Jewish lens - just as our Messiah would have.

Here's the problem, this is the MJ forum, so our beliefs and interpretation of what the scripture says will not always align.
But they should match perfectly. They didn't match perfectly with what "Judaism", traditional Rabbinic interpretation of scripture taught.
I'm for jewish thinking the way Jesus thought. The way the Apostles taught.
The Messianic perspective, and also a fair amount of people outside of MJ, interprets the passage in Zech. to be about the time after the return, it is a messianic passage, not written about something that has just already happened.
I said it's continuous since the time Jesus appeared.
In MJ thought passages can be interpreted in more than one way at the same time.
The NT says interpretation of scripture isn't in the way we think. It's the way God and Christ think.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation 2Pet.1:20

I am OK with us having different interpretations of the passage, but please stop accusing me of "mixing incorrect beliefs from Judaism" in the MJ forum.

Christianity came out of the Jewish faith - it would do all of us well to actually look at the passages in question from a Jewish lens - just as our Messiah would have.
I meant no offense to you. I fully agree that Jesus' followers should see everything in scripture from his Jewish perspective.

That's why I cited our Lords' teachings and how the Apostles saw their newness in him. I don't want to offend you further so may God bless.

In the transfiguration episode, Peter suggested to build three tabernacles for Jesus, Elijah and Moses, that's a subtle reference of Sukkot.

Hi, can I give the discussion aligned perspective.

Now, right away the problem is presented, that the scriptures seem to promote the keeping of feasts, which is what Judaism is keeping.

The Lord had said to Moses, for the children of Israel to keep this feast of tabernacles, seven days unto the Lord, and on the first day a holy convocation, to do no work.

( it is important here to remember that Jesus shows the children of Israel do not hear Moses, telling them about Jesus, and that the scriptures they have, are what testify of the Son)

Leviticus 23:33 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
34 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the Lord.
35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Dispute does not answer anything at all, one side claims this and this, the other that and that, and the answer is, if the feasts and things of the law that Judaism keeps do take from faith in Jesus Christ, they cant be kept, and what is kept keeps the faith in Jesus Christ, that is what is kept.

We know the scriptures speak of Jesus Christ, the children of Israel wait for their Messiah, the Gentiles are busy disputing with them. ( here in this thread and forum)

Worshipping the King, the Lord of hosts, is keeping the feasts He has made for all. ( oi faith)

Holiness unto the Lord everyone knows is through the Messiah, or they save themselves by what they keep themselves. The Canaanite is no longer in the house of the Lord of hosts, so lets see how Jesus witnesses, what that is, by what He kept and what He excluded from the house of the Lord of hosts first.

Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Zechariah 14:20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, Holiness Unto The Lord; and the pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.
21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the Lord of hosts.

It cant be for no purpose that Jesus goes to the temple, ( the house of God the Canaanite is no longer in) to go to the feast of tabernacles. Jesus cant go to the feast as the children of Israel went to it, because His time ( to die for all) was not yet come. Jesus in the middle of the feast went up to the temple and taught.

Jesus answers the Jews how if they knew who had sent Him, they would know of what He speaks, if He spoke of Himself, ( as all speak of themselves) or whether God had sent Him.

Jesus teaches the children of Israel in the temple how they were given circumcision, not by Moses, but by the fathers, to on the sabbath day, ( as on the first day of tabernacles to do no servile work) circumcise a man, for the law of Moses to not be broken, and then to not continue to be angry what they see in Christ, to make a man every way whole on the sabbath day, to STOP JUDGING BY THE APPEARANCE, ( how it appears to them, in their own traditions) but to do better, to JUDGE RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT.

John 7:2 Now the Jew's feast of tabernacles was at hand.
3 His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may see the works that thou doest.

John 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come.
9 When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
11 Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he?
14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

John 7:15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 7:22 Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

In the last day of the great day of the feast( of tabernacles) Jesus stands and CRIES, ( to the children of Israel keeping a feast, of eating and drinking) to come to Him and DRINK, if they THIRST. ( AFTER RIGHTEROUSNESS TO BE FILLED/and judging not by appearance but righteous judgment)

Believing in the Messiah is knowing the scripture ( they were told to search and have life from) that out of HIs belly flows rivers of living water, the Spirit they who believe on Him should receive. ( this is what the feast of tabernacles is speaking about, THE SPIRIT TO DRINK, of IN THAT DAY LIVING WATERS GO OUT IN THAT DAY FROM JERUSALEM.)

Zechariah 14:8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Finally to understand what the nations not keeping the feast of tabernacles means, there is no temple therein, for the Lord God almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it, ( of new Jerusalem) now we SEE THE NATIONS OF THEM THAT ARE SAVED, ( the nations who ARE LEFT who attacked Jerusalem.) shall walk in the light of the city of new Jerusalem, ( God/the Lamb are the temple of it) and the kings of the earth do bring their glory into it, the glory of the nations and honour is brought into it, and this is how the feast is kept, because nothing that defiles or works abomination or makes a lie enters into it, but those who are written in the Lambs book of life. ( the Canaanite no longer enters into the house of the Lord of hosts.)

Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Revelation 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Do you guys want to keep on with your discussions on your forums, or ever stop the talk that is not what the Gospel of Jesus Christ is about, at all. ( love is in deed and truth, not in word or tongue.)

I wont be answering any more on this forum, of Messianic, not for a while anyway, but just because many threads are made, dont think they cant be all answered, and if any of you guys can see what faithful answers are, you would heed the warning of scripture, I have over and over warned abut on this whole forum, to be swift to hear and to very much be slow to speak.

Zechariah 14 tells us that Sukkot will be one of the festivals that all Jews and Gentiles will celebrate together, it would do the mainstream Christian world well to notice this. Further, there are reasonable reasons to believe that Yeshua may have been born during Sukkot.
When the Kingdom has been restored to Israel and the Son of Man returns in His glory then whatever He commands at that point in time, those who love Him will state, "I'm in".

When the Kingdom has been restored to Israel and the Son of Man returns in His glory then whatever He commands at that point in time, those who love Him will state, "I'm in".
Hey Randy
Would you as my my brother in Chtist read my pists in this thread. My first post in this thread is post #2.
It's an understanding of what serving God in a temporary shelter means. It's my opinion, but i believe according to scripture it's a very good interpretation.

Thanks in advance for commenting, or not. 😊

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back