Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Virus Emails

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

penlost

The past few weeks I have got about 3-4 emails a day claiming to be from various companies including paypal that attach a zip file that is clearly a virus. I delete them but getting very tired of this :sad

I think I made a mistake by replying to one asking them to stop - the problem is they come from different email addresses so my anti spam cannot stop them.

Any ideas on how I can stop them? I dont want to change email addresses !

I asked my friend on a computer tech forum about this, that I belong to and this is his reply, his name is dobhar.

If the e-mails are comming from the same addy then they can report the abuse but if they are comming from throw away addy's then I don't think there is musch they can do except keep on deleting the e-mails.

That is the reason why I use a throw away GMail account and only give out my main E-Mail account to my friends and family. I can supply your friend a free GMail account if they are interested...just tell them to send an e-mail to me and ask me for one...make sure they say they are your friend so I know who they are. If you want his addy PM me Lewis for it. Because he changed his mind about putting his e-mail out there like that.

I will tell you what I use...I use a program called Mailwasher. You can tell your friend that they can download Mailwasher and use it (fully functionable) free for 30 days. "Try before you buy"
Q. How does MailWasher work?
A. MailWasher works directly with your email server, exactly like your email program does. But there is one important difference: you can tell MailWasher to delete a message at the server, without downloading it - or you can bounce an email back to the sender so that it looks as though your address is not valid.

MailWasher retrieves information about all the emails on the server. With that information (some of which is also processed by MailWasher) you can decide what to do with each individual email - download, delete, or bounce back.

If you check your account with MailWasher first, you can delete or bounce the emails you do not want. Then, when you use your email program, it downloads only the remaining emails, those that you want to read.

MailWasher can be thought of as a "first line of defence" which can weed out junk, large wasteful attachments, and potentially harmful viruses.

Q. How do I start using MailWasher?
A. To begin using MailWasher, here's all you need to do.

To check email, don't open your email client first. Instead, just start MailWasher by double clicking on the desktop icon, or going to Start menu, Programs, then MailWasher.

The MailWasher program will then start and will tell you what messages you have waiting for you on the email server. In the check boxes, select whether to Delete or Bounce the messages (if nothing is checked, the emails will simply be downloaded to your email client as normal), and then select process mail. Processing mail will delete or bounce the emails you have selected. Your email client will open and you can download the remaining emails as you normally do.

It's great...you start Mailwasher...it pulls in your e-mail...you delete and Blacklist the stuff...you then tell it to process the good e-mail...your e-mail client starts and you download the good e-mail. Only takes a couple minutes depending on the amount of e-mail you get.

There a few of us that use this program like Smokey and DavidE. We can tell you that it works great.

Thanks for the help Lewis, it is much apreciated. I am going to download the trial of mailwasher it sounds perfect for what I need.

8-)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back