Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Wanna' Be Free? Become A Slave!

Y

YehwehPaladin

Welcome back friends. Today's topic is "freedom in being a slave". What does it mean to be free in being a slave? Is that possible? Isn't that an oxy moron?

Romans 6:20-22 (NLT)

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the obligation to do right.

And what was the result? You are now ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom.

But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life.

Difference in Slavery

First we need to understand the difference between what a slave is today and what a slave was back then. In the Middle East time of Paul (the author of Romans) there were two types of slaves; both bore the same hebrew name abadim. There were those who were what we generally think of as slaves. They had no say on their on lives and put to use however their master saw fit. They were either people from other nations captured during wars, or they were the offspring of those. However, none of these were ever bought and sold like they were in Western culture and they weren't nearly as numerous as the second. Not to mention, it was considered wrong (almost lawfully) for anyone to abuse their slave. That was never so in Western culture.

The second group were those who sold their family or themselves into slavery because they couldn't afford to pay off their debt any other way. This would make them more like what we know as indentured servants (a practice that wasn't nearly as popular in America).

We also have to understand that neither of these groups were permanent slaves. The second group would be released after their debt was paid and if their debt was not paid by their jubilee (every seventh year) they would be released as were the first group of slaves.

The Point

I think a better way to interpret the verse according to Western culture (and adding in a little explanation) would be to say:

(My version, do not quote as the word of God!!!)

When you had sold yourselves to sin, you didn't feel obligated to do what was right.

And these things that end in eternal doom only brought you shame.

But now you are free from the power of sin. You have sold yourself into the service of God (out of gratitude, to pay Him back for that freedom he purchased with his sacrifice on the cross). Now what you do will result in eternal life.

Before I end, I do want to say that it is extremely dangerous for us to come up with our own versions if we aren't very knowledgable about the topic. So, please, don't quote me, only quote the bible and use my explanation in your own words. Hopefully, that shed some light on the subject and if you have any further questions please message me and I'll address them in posts.

Other Verses on Freedom

John 8:31-32, 36, Romans 6:14, 8:15, 2 Corinthians 3:17, Galatians 5:1, 1 Peter 2:13-17, 2:16

YehwehPaladin said:
Welcome back friends. Today's topic is "freedom in being a slave". What does it mean to be free in being a slave? Is that possible? Isn't that an oxy moron?

Romans 6:20-22 (NLT)

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the obligation to do right.

And what was the result? You are now ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom.

But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life.

Difference in Slavery

First we need to understand the difference between what a slave is today and what a slave was back then. In the Middle East time of Paul (the author of Romans) there were two types of slaves; both bore the same hebrew name abadim. There were those who were what we generally think of as slaves. They had no say on their on lives and put to use however their master saw fit. They were either people from other nations captured during wars, or they were the offspring of those. However, none of these were ever bought and sold like they were in Western culture and they weren't nearly as numerous as the second. Not to mention, it was considered wrong (almost lawfully) for anyone to abuse their slave. That was never so in Western culture.

The second group were those who sold their family or themselves into slavery because they couldn't afford to pay off their debt any other way. This would make them more like what we know as indentured servants (a practice that wasn't nearly as popular in America).

We also have to understand that neither of these groups were permanent slaves. The second group would be released after their debt was paid and if their debt was not paid by their jubilee (every seventh year) they would be released as were the first group of slaves.

The Point

I think a better way to interpret the verse according to Western culture (and adding in a little explanation) would be to say:

(My version, do not quote as the word of God!!!)

When you had sold yourselves to sin, you didn't feel obligated to do what was right.

And these things that end in eternal doom only brought you shame.

But now you are free from the power of sin. You have sold yourself into the service of God (out of gratitude, to pay Him back for that freedom he purchased with his sacrifice on the cross). Now what you do will result in eternal life.

Before I end, I do want to say that it is extremely dangerous for us to come up with our own versions if we aren't very knowledgable about the topic. So, please, don't quote me, only quote the bible and use my explanation in your own words. Hopefully, that shed some light on the subject and if you have any further questions please message me and I'll address them in posts.

Other Verses on Freedom

John 8:31-32, 36, Romans 6:14, 8:15, 2 Corinthians 3:17, Galatians 5:1, 1 Peter 2:13-17, 2:16

No, it's not an oxymoron at all. God's ways are the opposite of our ways. Therefore what humans think is bondage is not bondage and what humans think is freedom is not freedom. So since as Jesus tells us, that the greatest among us will be our servant, then slavery to Christ is indeed the epitome of freedom. :D

The bible uses the word charity In the KJV which is love. But to me it is much more. It's dieing to self. This is true freedom to me. We were slaves to sin. Jesus dieing on the cross freed me from sin through grace not by works.
In Gods Love
Gerald

We are indeed enslaved to righteousness and set free from sin. However please notice that Paul said he spoke in such a manner because they were weak (slow to hear & understand), thus not the perfect analogy (Paul used it so they could understand better):

"I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh" (Romans 6:19).

This then explains why such a "paradoxial" element as Freedom in Christ can be introduced with no problem in Galatians and elsewhere.

Back